Clear Bra Install Questions - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
6Burgh

Clear Bra Install Questions

Ok guys i'm 22 and on my 3rd accord. I have some serious ocd and it's so bad that I wont drive my car on the highway and won't even get close to other cars because I don't want rock chips. My question is has any installed a clear bra on the full bumper and if so how hard is it. I want to do the full bumper full hood and full fenders. I'm thinking that the hood and fenders wont be that difficult but doing the bumper looks pretty damn hard. I wouldn't mind paying a authorized retailer or someone to do it unfortunately there is no one in my area that does it.

2013 MSM EX-L V-6 Accord
3M Ventureshield Clear Bra
8th Gen 19" HFP Wheels
245/40/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires
OEM Splash Guards
OEM Deck Lid Spoiler
Weathertech Floorliners
Polk Audio Sub/Amp
6000k Kensun Low Beam HID Kit

Previous Cars: 11 Accord EX-L Nav
10 Accord EX-L
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-05-2013, 06:26 PM
on2
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge0121 View Post
Ok guys i'm 22 and on my 3rd accord. I have some serious ocd and it's so bad that I wont drive my car on the highway and won't even get close to other cars because I don't want rock chips. My question is has any installed a clear bra on the full bumper and if so how hard is it. I want to do the full bumper full hood and full fenders. I'm thinking that the hood and fenders wont be that difficult but doing the bumper looks pretty damn hard. I wouldn't mind paying a authorized retailer or someone to do it unfortunately there is no one in my area that does it.
Look at videos online. Read instructions by Googling the process.

There are many sites that detail the process.

You can do it yourself. Start with the small pieces for practice and to get a feel for the material you are working with. Do the side mirrors, those are generally easy. Then move on to the fenders, headlights, hood (super easy).

Yes, the bumper is the by far the hardest part. You need a second pair of hands to help you here. You also need to stretch the material for this part which can get tricky. If you are uncomfortable then pay someone to do this part. The other parts anyone should be able to do on their own.

Materials should cost less than $300.

I probably have more OCD than you. I bought my Accord. Drove it home and parked it there for a week until the clear bra arrived. After installation I began driving it regularly on the roads.

post #3 of 14 Old 05-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

A good clear bra install wraps the material around the body panels so there are no film edges to give away there is clear bra film on the body panel, my summer/weekend car has full custom coverage for the full hood, full fenders, both mirrors, and full bumper, it's very difficult to tell because the film (XPEL Ultimate) is very clear and a professional custom installation.

The only down side is the cost, expect to pay $1,500 for a custom job like this, not everyone can justify this, but the difficulty in doing the bumer alone was worth just paying someone, I did price out the material as well but decided it's not worth the cost and time to "learn by my mistakes".

FWIW, the installer came to my house and did it in my garage, the job took him 7 hours straight, no lunch break and only one bathroom break, I felt I got very good value for the quality of the final product, which I highly doubt I can achieve by myself with the first or even the second try, so it was money well spent for me.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
6Burgh

lol I didn't think it was possible for someone to be worse than me, but I guess so . I originally planned to take it to a place that said they could do it but they wanted to use oracle instead of 3m and they said theve only done it once. I didn't mind giving it a try for 1100 but then the guy says just to let you know we use blades so theres no guarantee we wont scratch it and no guarantee there wont be any air bubbles. All that made me say forget it. thanks for the info though I'm going to order it tonite and hopefully put it on the day I get it

2013 MSM EX-L V-6 Accord
8th Gen 19" HFP Wheels
OEM Splash Guards
OEM Deck Lid Spoiler
Weathertech Floorliners
Polk Audio Sub/Amp

10 Accord EX-L
post #5 of 14 Old 05-05-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
6Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
A good clear bra install wraps the material around the body panels so there are no film edges to give away there is clear bra film on the body panel, my summer/weekend car has full custom coverage for the full hood, full fenders, both mirrors, and full bumper, it's very difficult to tell because the film (XPEL Ultimate) is very clear and a professional custom installation.

The only down side is the cost, expect to pay $1,500 for a custom job like this, not everyone can justify this, but the difficulty in doing the bumer alone was worth just paying someone, I did price out the material as well but decided it's not worth the cost and time to "learn by my mistakes".

FWIW, the installer came to my house and did it in my garage, the job took him 7 hours straight, no lunch break and only one bathroom break, I felt I got very good value for the quality of the final product, which I highly doubt I can achieve by myself with the first or even the second try, so it was money well spent for me.

I would definitely pay 1500 for it, but the only problem is I cant find a professional or even an amateur in my area to do it

2013 MSM EX-L V-6 Accord
8th Gen 19" HFP Wheels
OEM Splash Guards
OEM Deck Lid Spoiler
Weathertech Floorliners
Polk Audio Sub/Amp

10 Accord EX-L
post #6 of 14 Old 05-06-2013, 07:21 PM
3rd Gear

If you're willing to travel to the Cleveland, OH area I found an installer that I'm considering using when the time comes -

No affiliation.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-06-2013, 10:02 PM
4th Gear

Get a certified 3M installer that does warranteed work. Thats what i did. so if it ever fails or discolors, i get a free clear bra replacement, and the installer isn't charged. As a matter of fact, i believe 3M even pays him for warranty work.

Anyway, i did a clear bra just on the front bumper and front underbody spoiler. I plan to take the thing off by the car's third summer (this summer is the first).

Edit: My cost was 465 for bumper and front underbody spoiler (had to custom cut the spoiler). I will say that it is quite likely that the cover will have slits so the film can bend and form around the fog lights (at least if you own a coupe because of the whirlpool shape of the fog light cavity). My install also had 2 air bubbles but they went away after a week or 2. I personally didnt care about the bubbles because all i really cared about was protection. I honestly couldnt give a flip about stuff like that. That the bubbles went away was a nice bonus.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 PM
4th Gear

Look inside the fog light cavity, can you see the cut off of the bra? Looks great here though. There are actually 2 pieces of film in this shot; one on each side of the grey rubber lining. So there is a film on the lip and the bumper.

Frontal shot.

Here is a slit. This is the worst slit of all of them. Its really zoomed in to which makes it seem a lot worse than it is. Its actually a really tiny imperfection that is very hard to see in person i promise you that, but do expect some imperfections. If being OCD drives you to get a clear bra for protection, which then drives you to be OCD over how invisible the the bra needs to be, then i suggest you try finding a way to battle your OCD man. No need to stress out excessively over your car.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 05:08 AM
1st Gear

If you are OCD you should find a professional to install it for you. I paid $800 for full hood plus bumper and partial fenders for my 335i. It took an experienced installer 3-4 hours. I have Xpel Ultimate. I'd never try this myself.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 05:38 AM
4th Gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordant View Post
If you're willing to travel to the Cleveland, OH area I found an installer that I'm considering using when the time comes -

No affiliation.
Also no affiliation, but a happy customer!

Had Albert from Block-A-Chip come to Thayer Honda in Bowling Green, OH (couple hours from Cleveland), before I took delivery. Installed the extended hood and fender package (including wrapping the film over the leading-edge of the hood), front bumper, headlights, foglights, mirrors, door-handle pockets. He did custom door-edge guards, rocker panels (and also added film to the lower doors below the character line to match), plus cutom-wrapped the rear bumper, including a small extension to protect. All for ~$1,200! I've noticed a couple places which looked like bubbles, but were likely little paint drips from the factory--nothing to be concerned about! The film itself is XPel Ultimate, which will "self-heal" minor scratches or swirls in the film's clearcoat through sun exposure or by pouring hot water on the film. Best of all, you can't see it unless you really know where to look! (I thought my 2006's film via another vendor was invisible..until I saw this job! Of course, the darker shade of the MSM helps, YMMV with lighter shades.)

If you're in their service area, check 'em out! (If possible, make sure that they can do the job inside, then keep the car inside overnight for the film to dry and "cure," for best results! )

Current: 2013 Accord Touring Sedan -- Modern Steel Metallic/Gray
Previous Hondas--all bought new:
2006 Accord EXL-V6 NAVI Sedan -- Carbon Bronze Pearl/Ivory
2000 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan -- Taffeta White/Ivory
1994 Honda Civic EX Sedan -- Torino Red Pearl/Gray
First Cars (all used--before I got religion):
1984 Pontiac Sunbird hatchback -- Lt. Briar Brown Metallic
1978 Olds Cutlass Salon -- Pastel Blue (the coupe, called the "aeroback," that looked like a hatch!)
post #11 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 05:56 AM
on2
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge0121 View Post
lol I didn't think it was possible for someone to be worse than me, but I guess so . I originally planned to take it to a place that said they could do it but they wanted to use oracle instead of 3m and they said theve only done it once. I didn't mind giving it a try for 1100 but then the guy says just to let you know we use blades so theres no guarantee we wont scratch it and no guarantee there wont be any air bubbles. All that made me say forget it. thanks for the info though I'm going to order it tonite and hopefully put it on the day I get it
That's too much money for something they cannot guarantee.

I am an amateur at clear bras and I have no bubbles. Just take your time and make sure you keep rewetting the parts that you are not working on to prevent it from drying out and sticking.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 PM

Here's a nice write up by one of our vendors on here doing a clear film install:

Detailer's Domain: 12 Lexus GS350 - Prep for Opti Coat and Clear Film Install
post #13 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfn8r View Post
Also no affiliation, but a happy customer!

Had Albert from Block-A-Chip come to Thayer Honda in Bowling Green, OH (couple hours from Cleveland), before I took delivery. Installed the extended hood and fender package (including wrapping the film over the leading-edge of the hood), front bumper, headlights, foglights, mirrors, door-handle pockets. He did custom door-edge guards, rocker panels (and also added film to the lower doors below the character line to match), plus cutom-wrapped the rear bumper, including a small extension to protect. All for ~$1,200! I've noticed a couple places which looked like bubbles, but were likely little paint drips from the factory--nothing to be concerned about! The film itself is XPel Ultimate, which will "self-heal" minor scratches or swirls in the film's clearcoat through sun exposure or by pouring hot water on the film. Best of all, you can't see it unless you really know where to look! (I thought my 2006's film via another vendor was invisible..until I saw this job! Of course, the darker shade of the MSM helps, YMMV with lighter shades.)

If you're in their service area, check 'em out! (If possible, make sure that they can do the job inside, then keep the car inside overnight for the film to dry and "cure," for best results! )
Thanks, Gfn8r. It's great to hear you were satisfied with the work from this company since they are under consideration if/when the time comes. From their site it appears they have a good bit of experience. The Xpel product is very good. I have had it installed on a motorcycle for several years with excellent results.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordant View Post
Thanks, Gfn8r. It's great to hear you were satisfied with the work from this company since they are under consideration if/when the time comes. From their site it appears they have a good bit of experience. The Xpel product is very good. I have had it installed on a motorcycle for several years with excellent results.
Yes, the XPel availability was one of the considerations in picking B-A-C over a Toledo-area vendor (even before considering that B-A-C was ~$150 cheaper, IIRC).

Just looked at my original post--I forgot the A-pillars and roof between the winshield header and the sunroof--leave those off, and subtract ~$150 from the cost, IIRC.

Noticed what I thought was a flaw down around the foglight, then realized it was just a tiny relief cut--just the way the light hit it today; XPel kits have less of these than some other kits, which is nice. (Shows the level of my OCD! ) They have either a six-month or one-year no-questions-asked reinstallation policy, don't recall which (but according to the installer, any serious flaws will show up by six months in), plus the film itself is warranted for ten years, versus five with the 3M, another plus!

What the heck, even if I only keep the car five or six years, the film will hopefully help garner a little more value at resale. (This film looks ages better than the stuff I had on my 2006--in fact, the used-car dealer who ended up with my car insisted on removing that film, according to my broker! It's less visible all-around, although it's easier to hide it, I'm sure, on darker shades such as my MSM.)

(Famous last words, but 2.5 months into ownership, between my anal-retentive habit of parking at the end of rows, and angling the car into spaces when I can't, to avoid door dings, plus that XPel film, NO MAJOR SCRATCHES OR CHIPS! )

Current: 2013 Accord Touring Sedan -- Modern Steel Metallic/Gray
Previous Hondas--all bought new:
2006 Accord EXL-V6 NAVI Sedan -- Carbon Bronze Pearl/Ivory
2000 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan -- Taffeta White/Ivory
1994 Honda Civic EX Sedan -- Torino Red Pearl/Gray
First Cars (all used--before I got religion):
1984 Pontiac Sunbird hatchback -- Lt. Briar Brown Metallic
1978 Olds Cutlass Salon -- Pastel Blue (the coupe, called the "aeroback," that looked like a hatch!)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.