What happens if Fob battery goes dead? How do you get in car or start it? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

What happens if Fob battery goes dead? How do you get in car or start it?

Trading my 2010 Odyssey for a 2013 EXL V6 and have a stupid question to ask. What happens if the battery in your smart key goes dead? How do you get in the car and start it up? I asked the sales manager and one of the sales guys but neither one could answer my question.

Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 PM
2nd Gear

If the battery in the fob is weak you need to hold the fob right on top of the start button and then push. That's the workaround.

Here's the info from the Owners Manual (pg# 552):

If the Smart Entry Remote Battery is Weak/If the beeper sounds, the indicator on the ENGINE START/STOP button flashes,
and the engine won’t start.

To Start, Hold Remote Near Start Button message appears on the multiinformation
display.

Start the engine as follows.

1. Touch the center of the ENGINE START/
STOP button with the H logo on the smart
entry remote while the indicator on the
ENGINE START/STOP button is flashing.
The buttons on the smart entry remote
should be facing you.

The indicator flashes for about 30
seconds.

2. Depress the brake pedal (automatic
transmission) or clutch pedal (manual
transmission) and press the ENGINE
START/STOP button within 10 seconds
after the beeper sounds and the indicator
stays on.

If you don’t depress the pedal, the mode
will change to ACCESSORY.

post #3 of 47 Old 12-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Retired from Car Biz....

you are asking how to get the door open, right?

think about not doing too much with that sales dept for knowledge in the future if they did not know this one, it's pretty basic....

you get in the car by splitting the smart key apart and using the hard key to unlock the door..there is a real key inside the smart fob...then the above applies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'16 Camaro

post #4 of 47 Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM
4th Gear

Just for future visual reference:

post #5 of 47 Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Out of Control

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS carry your spare smart key (or any chip key that requires a dealer replacement) on a road trip. Otherwise, if you lose it, you will not get another from Wal-Mart on Saturday night. You'll be at the dealer Monday getting a new key ordered when you were you supposed to be at work. Again, not just a smart key issue-true for any antitheft chip key.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #6 of 47 Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks everyone for the help. Do not have the car yet, hope to get it tomorrow. Appreciate the good information and quick response. Hopefully I will be able to contribute to this forum at some later time.
post #7 of 47 Old 12-27-2012, 03:49 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS carry your spare smart key (or any chip key that requires a dealer replacement) on a road trip. Otherwise, if you lose it, you will not get another from Wal-Mart on Saturday night. You'll be at the dealer Monday getting a new key ordered when you were you supposed to be at work. Again, not just a smart key issue-true for any antitheft chip key.
Good advice. A friend had a number of unintended expenses when he lost his key while his Element was parked in a field, out of town, for a sporting event. Hotel nights, towing car to dealer, etc.
post #8 of 47 Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM
3rd Gear

Is the driver's side door the only "smart" entry door? or can you just open any of the doors when locked?

2013 Accord EX- Modern Steel Metalic
2003 Accord EX- 198,859 miles
post #9 of 47 Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to ssmtsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post
Is the driver's side door the only "smart" entry door? or can you just open any of the doors when locked?
The doors can be locked/unlocked from either front door.
post #10 of 47 Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 PM
No Gears, Got CVT :)

I carry a spare FOB battery in the glove box.

2013 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl CVT.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Previous new Accords:
1977 Accord Hatchback 2Dr CVCC 4Cyl MT
1986 Accord LX-i 2Dr 4Cyl MT
1994 Accord LX 2Dr 4Cyl MT
2003 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl MT

My YouTube
Channel.

post #11 of 47 Old 12-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
With the fob on your person, both front doors unlock with a touch of the hand but the rear doors do not have a touch sensor.

Also Honda has stepped into the early 2000s by finally allowing the driver to select multiple lock/unlock/autolock preferences just like my '05 300C

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #12 of 47 Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 AM
2nd Gear

If the Honda is like my Altima you'll get plenty of notice of weak battery on your main display when you go to start the car. I had my first battery issue on the Altima when on a trip out of state; came out of a restuarant and car wouldn't start due to weak battery. Sat there a bit trying to decide what to do and eventually it started. I headed off to first Walmart I could find and ever since carry spare in the glove box.

2013 EX-L, 4cyl, 4dr, Champagne, spoiler, side molding, mud guards, pin stripe, Goodyear tires w wheel locks.
$28,200 OTD

2007 Altima, 4cyl, 120K. M1 -5-30
2000 Ford Ranger, 6 cyl, 45K. 5-30 anything
2011 Can Am Spyder RTSE 32K, 10-40 Amsoil
post #13 of 47 Old 12-28-2012, 05:03 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
With the fob on your person, both front doors unlock with a touch of the hand but the rear doors do not have a touch sensor.

Also Honda has stepped into the early 2000s by finally allowing the driver to select multiple lock/unlock/autolock preferences just like my '05 300C
Thank you

too bad, would have been a nice feature putting a baby in the back seat

2013 Accord EX- Modern Steel Metalic
2003 Accord EX- 198,859 miles
post #14 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeySoft View Post
I carry a spare FOB battery in the glove box.
I'm thinking about carrying a spare FOB, with the battery removed, in my car for emergencies. Does anybody know of the cheapest way to get a third FOB?

2013 Accord EX-L 4Cyl CVT
post #15 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Thank you

too bad, would have been a nice feature putting a baby in the back seat
You can set it up so that when you touch one of the front door handles, all the doors unlock. I think if I push the button on my fob, all doors unlock with just one push also, since I have the door handles set that way (or it is a separate option in the iMID?). Just go through the owners manual when you get the car and you will figure out all your options.

Current:
2016 EX-L V6 w/ Navi/Sensing Sedan Black/Ivory
2013 EX-L V6 w/ Navi Sedan Black/Ivory *TRADED*
2016 Acura RDX w/ tech pkg White/Parchment
2003 EX-L V6 Sedan Black/Tan
2008 CRV EX AWD Black/Black

Previous:
1999 EX-L 4 Cyl. Sedan
1997 EX-L V6
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.