2013 Windshield Damage - Live with Repair or Replace? - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #16 of 28 Old 04-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Ice
6th Gear

All about the installer. Find an experienced installer and you won't have any problem with wind noise. Honda Accord's OEM windshield is made by AGC, Asahi Glass Company. Insist on that brand. The only difference between AGC brand and OEM Honda glass from dealership that cost 400-500 is the small "H" stamped on the corner. Pilkington would be my 2nd option, or PGW if they even make one for the Accord. It's also important to ask and find out where the glass was made. Insist on US-made or Japan-made glass. The AGC factory in China has many issues and there are many many reports of poor fitting or distortion on these supposedly OEM glass.

AGC - Japan Made Vechicles
AGC Automotive (formerly AP Technoglass, subsidiary of AGC in US) - Honda, Lexus
Carlite - Ford, Mazda Pickup, Lincoln, Mercury
Crinamex - Chevy, Chrysler, Ford, Nissan, Volkswagen
FYG - Audi, Chevy, Ford, FIAT, GMC, Honda, Mazda, Volvo
PPG/PGW - Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Dodge, Honda, Hyundai,
Pilkington - 1 in 5 have a Pilkington brand glass

2013 EX-L Sport V6, MSM/Black

Mods
- Llumar 30 + Air Blue 80
- B&I Wood Trim, exLED interior, deck lid spoiler, WeatherTech floor liner
- MUGEN Hydrophilic mirror, Sill garnish, SS RSX pedals
- Injen CAI, RV6 HFPC, Redtail exhaust, Sport wheels
- Rammat BXTII, Ensolite, Big 3
- Audison bit Ten, Kenwood XR-5S, Vifa XT25, Hertz HV165, IDQ12
- RX8 Projectors w/ Curved shield + E30 lens, Hella Gen 3, Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI, Philips HIR2, VLED VX3

2008 EX-L Night Hawk/Ivory, RIP

Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 04-07-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
All about the installer. Find an experienced installer and you won't have any problem with wind noise. Honda Accord's OEM windshield is made by AGC, Asahi Glass Company. Insist on that brand. The only difference between AGC brand and OEM Honda glass from dealership that cost 400-500 is the small "H" stamped on the corner. Pilkington would be my 2nd option. It's also important to ask find out where the glass was made. Insist on US-made or Japan-made glass. The AGC factory in China has many issues and there are many many reports of poor fitting or distortion on these supposedly OEM glass.

AGC Automotive (formerly AP Technoglass, subsidiary of AGC in US) - Honda, Lexus

Damn, now that's some useful detail. Thanks!

post #18 of 28 Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Continuously Varying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
All about the installer. Find an experienced installer and you won't have any problem with wind noise. Honda Accord's OEM windshield is made by AGC, Asahi Glass Company. Insist on that brand. The only difference between AGC brand and OEM Honda glass from dealership that cost 400-500 is the small "H" stamped on the corner. Pilkington would be my 2nd option. It's also important to ask find out where the glass was made. Insist on US-made or Japan-made glass. The AGC factory in China has many issues and there are many many reports of poor fitting or distortion on these supposedly OEM glass.

Problem is none of these have yet to produce an aftermarket windshield for a 2013. I've got a good sized crack, repaired for now, that will require replacement sooner or later. I refuse to pay $800+ installed for a Honda branded windshield when in a couple of months it will cost $200-300.

------
2013 Honda Accord EX-L I4 CVT MSM/Grey

post #19 of 28 Old 04-07-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
Problem is none of these have yet to produce an aftermarket windshield for a 2013. I've got a good sized crack, repaired for now, that will require replacement sooner or later. I refuse to pay $800+ installed for a Honda branded windshield when in a couple of months it will cost $200-300.
But if insurance is covering it, does the price difference matter, and wouldn't it be better then to go for the Honda part?

In my case you'd think I'm in a better situation now because if I were to wait it could be harder to convince Geico to use Honda vs after market.
post #20 of 28 Old 04-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Continuously Varying

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvis View Post
But if insurance is covering it, does the price difference matter, and wouldn't it be better then to go for the Honda part?

In my case you'd think I'm in a better situation now because if I were to wait it could be harder to convince Geico to use Honda vs after market.
Unfortunately my insurance does not cover windshield replacement as it is not required in my state, so it's coming out of my pocket.....

------
2013 Honda Accord EX-L I4 CVT MSM/Grey
post #21 of 28 Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 PM
4th Gear

geico is replacing with OEM

Quote:
Had the car three weeks and yesterday received a nice dime sized rock dent in my windshield in the middle of the passenger view.

Safeflight repaired it this morning, through Geico, and I'm not happy with the results. Rather than the 80 to 90% reduction they advertise, it's more like 10%, with the 4 spider lines reduced but the center punch mark still there, just a more consistent dull color instead of various colors. Not clear in any way; I could've lived with an imperfect clear, but it's not even close. The tech said he felt it came out better than most, for the type of repair.

My plan allows for a replacement for $50, but I'm concerned about their warning of complications with breaking the factory seal. It's been years since I've had to have a windshield replaced, but the 2 or 3 vehicles I've had it done on never had any issues with a new seal, wind noise, etc.

And I told Geioce I want a Honda part, which they said they'd do, but they also said it may not match exactly, which makes no sense to me.

What would you do in my position?

Just had something damage my windshield yesterday while coming home through a construction zone that i will no longer drive through due to two chips on my hood and now a quarter size chip on my windshield that went almost all the way through the glass. Well anyways, I called Geico and they are going to replace the windshield with new OEM from Honda and I didn't even ask for an OEM. They just said that since the car is so new they are going to put that in. I was . I live in Florida by the way.

2013 Honda Accord Sport
Alabaster Silver
post #22 of 28 Old 04-09-2013, 02:25 PM
4th Gear

Honda OEM glass is also made in Canada (PGW /AGC)

REAL HONDAS HAVE 3 PEDALS ON THE FLOOR!!!
post #23 of 28 Old 05-25-2013, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Finally got my windshield replaced with a honda unit. Exact match and no wind or leak issues, so far. Took awhile for the glass to come in, then the installer realized when starting at my house that they needed a special seal, so had to wait for that as well.

Glad I did it.

2013 EX-L I4 Navi Black Sedan
post #24 of 28 Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Finally got my windshield replaced with a honda unit. Exact match and no wind or leak issues, so far. Took awhile for the glass to come in, then the installer realized when starting at my house that they needed a special seal, so had to wait for that as well.

Glad I did it.
Did you watch the installer from beginning to end? If yes, I would be interested in a description of the process, including how the old seal was removed from the car body and what preparation was done to insure that the sealing area is cleaned to accept the new seal.

Any cosmetic issues with the install? Does it look as clean an the OEM install?

Thanks.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #25 of 28 Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

I only watched up until he was ready to pull the windshield. He was working in my garage, whihc is comfortable, but I could tell it he felt uncomfortable with me just sitting there wathcing, even though I did ask if it was ok and he said sure. I left when i saw him drop a tool. I know I don't like someone over my shoulder when working carefully, so I just left him alone from there on.

What I did see included removing the outer seals, which he said are more cosmetic than functional (at least for sealing), with a trim tool. The real seal is the thin layer of glue around the shield. He then inserted a few pry type tools around a foot aprt all the way around.

That's all I saw. he did a good job. no mess, no scratches.

2013 EX-L I4 Navi Black Sedan
post #26 of 28 Old 08-25-2013, 10:00 PM
3rd Gear

Just one question, how do they remove the LDW camera off the windshield? Does the new windshield come with a new camera?
post #27 of 28 Old 08-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Don't hate on my color!!

The biggest issue with replacement is cheap aftermarket glass. Because the Accord is new this year, there's no AM glass available yet so you're good with the OEM glass.

-Paul

PRESENT: 2014 Champagne Frost EX-L V-6 sedan

OEM remote start/ OEM Acura TSX cargo organizer/
OEM trunk mat/ OEM all-weather floor mats/ horn upgrade/ 3M clear-bra protector/ 35% Carbon XP tint

PAST: 2013 Obsidian Blue EX-L sedan
post #28 of 28 Old 08-25-2013, 10:42 PM
3rd Gear

I got hit by a stone chip myself... Just couple of days ago. Lucky it just gave me a pit on the windshield... no crack... a little white spark...

But anyway... again, no one answer my question... That LDW camera on the windshield... Does it attached to the windshield??? If the windshield need to be replace... how is that going to come off?

Another thing.. I don't know why car manufacture(s) like to put those fake Plastic Chrome in front of the car.... I already see couple of stone chips on them... The chrome didn't come off... again... I see pit! If you going to put chrome... use real chrome for god sake! Or don't put any at all...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.