So just how reliable will the Accord CVT be? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
10Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

So just how reliable will the Accord CVT be?

Hi,
I have read how Honda's engineers really nailed it with the new CVT in the 2013 Accords, but I am wondering what the long term reliability of the CVT will be over a 10 year period, as opposed to the standard 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission?

Will the CVT be just as reliable? Even more reliable? Or LESS reliable?

I do not see many folks asking this VERY important question!

Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 AM
on2
banned

You are asking a question that only time will tell/answer.

We could look at the history of Honda CVTs found in the Insight and Civics, but those units are different.

There are much less moving parts in a CVT compared to a conventional automatic transmission, but that alone will not determine long term reliability.

Reliability will also depend on how much load and shock is put on the transmission over a given period of time. e.g. Sometimes I drive the crap out of my cars. Punishing it through every corner, keeping it at high revs, using the paddles to keep in the powerband, doing drag style launches etc. and sometimes I drive extremely slow (hypermiling) just to experiment with how many miles I can attain on one tank of gas (see my signature below).

post #3 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 AM
3rd Gear

Send a message via AIM to whitejl28
I guess you will just have to wait and see

post #4 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 AM
4th Gear

Correct. No way to know. No matter how well something is designed only time will tell if it is a hit or miss.

2013 EX Coupe MSM (Traded in for CLA 250)
In Progress: Full audio upgrade
Done: Ace Convex 19" | 3M DiNoc Carbon fiber interior wrap | Custom lighted sills | Interior white LED | Exterior white LED | AbsoluteHID 4300k | DIY Console USB connection | Takeda Stage-2 PRO DRY S Intake | Magnaflow custom dual mufflers | Roof spoiler
post #5 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 AM
6th Gear

Check back in 10 years and we'll let you know.

2013 Accord EX-L V6 Navi Sedan - White Orchid Pearl / Ivory

Previous:
2005 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe - Satin Silver Metallic / Black
1995 Accord EX-L Sedan - Granada Black Metallic / Gray
post #6 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Having spent the last 6 years with a pair of Fords with their CVT transmission (manufactured jointly with ZF Friedrichshafen AG out of Germany), I can say that when they work, they work well for the long-haul. The biggest enemy of the CVT is fluid breakdown and contamination. You MUST change the fluid with the proper ZF CVT fluid every 60k miles or risk warranty issues. The debate is ongoing whether the internal filter also needs to be changed - but the fluid is the key thing. I can say that I put close to 65k miles on the Freestyle's CVT and, while it's certainly not the quietest transmission on the plant, it shifted smoothly and consistently from new till trade-in. Now, if you poke on the Ford forums you'll find some folks that had CVT issues - and those were mostly due to faulty bearings on an input shaft, and were few and far between. But because they're a pretty complex transmission, they're costly to repair (nearing $8K total for new).

So will the Honda CVT on a car the size of the Accord hold up? As others have said, time will tell. But when they work, they're very reliable, and offer a very different driving experience than a normal 6-speed transmission. And, in my view, is perhaps the single reason why I wouldn't buy a CVT in an Accord. The driving is much more sedate in a CVT, with the real performance benefits once you've gotten up to speed (like in passing actions or booting it for fun). Performance from a stop (or lack thereof) is perhaps one of the negatives about a CVT, likely targeted at helping MPG's (which is why they're in hybrids so often).

andy
post #7 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodule View Post
Hi,
I have read how Honda's engineers really nailed it with the new CVT in the 2013 Accords, but I am wondering what the long term reliability of the CVT will be over a 10 year period, as opposed to the standard 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission?

The 2023 Consumer Reports article was pretty good, on it.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #8 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear

I have a warm fuzzy feeling, confident that the engineers slapped one of these on rollers for a few hundred thousand miles or more, or it wouldn't be in their vehicles.
post #9 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Out of Control

Honda has been doing CVTs of various types since 1996. No reason to expect anything less than excellent reliability.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #10 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Austin, TX

I seem to already be having trouble with mine, with only 1,083 miles on it. When I'm accelerating from a stop, there's a jerky feeling, almost like hesitation, but multiple times until I get up to about 20 mph. My service rep said it's probably fluid contamination and that he's been seeing this with some new Accords. I have a Friday appointment to get it looked at.
post #11 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviationguy View Post
I seem to already be having trouble with mine, with only 1,083 miles on it. When I'm accelerating from a stop, there's a jerky feeling, almost like hesitation, but multiple times until I get up to about 20 mph. My service rep said it's probably fluid contamination and that he's been seeing this with some new Accords. I have a Friday appointment to get it looked at.
Known "issue" with the car
post #12 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Out of Control

Could be transmission issue that could be fixed with software update for the transmission only.

2013 Accord Coupe EX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

25.4MM TLX RSB
5K 35W TRS HID
Roof Spoiler
5% Tint, 50% Windshield
Takeda SRI
H&R Springs
Single to Dual Magnaflows, Axle-Back:
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
V6 Headlight (LED DRL Strip):
(
)

Gentex Auto-Dimming w/ Homelink (DIY):
(
)
Cabin Air Filter (DIY):
(
)
Viper Remote Start for Push-To-Start (DIY)
(
)
post #13 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
Honda has been doing CVTs of various types since 1996. No reason to expect anything less than excellent reliability.
Actually I can think of some reasons

2002-04 Odyssey
2003–04 Pilot
2001–02 Acura MDX
1997–02 Accord
2003–04 Accord V-6
2000–04 Acura 3.2 TL
2001–03 Acura 3.2 CL

but I'm only kidding

The thing that scares me is... cost, they need to get the repair cost down. If I recall correctly Nissan was shooting $5,500 - $8,000 repair bills for their CVT issues/failures, but they managed to get the cost down to $3,500 - $4,000 in latter years.
Miami Chillin likes this.
post #14 of 87 Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Crosseyed and Gearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodule View Post

I'm pretty sure Honda just figured they could slap a CVT in their best selling flagship car w/o worrying too much about long term reliability (and corresponding resale value) cause they don't put much stock in their reputation as a reliable car. But seriously, anytime you move from something tried and true to something new, there's going to be some risk and unknowns that won't be known until, well, 10 years from now.
post #15 of 87 Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarmin View Post
The thing that scares me is... cost, they need to get the repair cost down. If I recall correctly Nissan was shooting $5,500 - $8,000 repair bills for their CVT issues/failures, but they managed to get the cost down to $3,500 - $4,000 in latter years.
You do have a point. Anyone remember early Accord news? One was about the Ohio facility, and how it needed a hermetically sealed lab to assemble some of the CVT parts?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.