Pandora One vs. XM Radio - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-24-2013, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears

Pandora One vs. XM Radio

I've had a love/hate relationship with XM Radio for years. I first purchased a portable XM receiver about 8 years ago that I could take from my car to my home. I was never really thrilled with the choices of music stations that they offered, but it was the only service of its type, (except for Sirius before they merged).

Now that the 3 month trial period that came with my '13 Accord has ended, I'm seriously considering severing ties with XM altogether and switching to Pandora One. Pandora One, from my perspective, seems to have a number advantages over XM Radio.

Namely:

*Pandora One is cheaper; $36 for Pandora One vs. your best negotiated price for XM Radio

*You can create your own stations with Pandora One vs. whatever is available on XM Radio

*Pandora One learns your musical tastes, XM Radio doesn't

*There are no disc jockeys on Pandora One vs. annoying (to me) chatter between songs on XM music stations

*There's no advertising of any kind on Pandora One vs. many XM stations with advertising on XM Radio

*You can skip songs with Pandora One, but can't with XM Radio

*Songs on Pandora One can be paused but can't be with XM Radio

*The sound quality is better on Pandora One (192K bits per second) vs. ? on XM Radio

*With Pandora, you can take your music with you and listen to it through your smart phone or computer at no extra charge, not true with XM Radio

The reason that I'm mentioning Pandora One and not regular (free) Pandora is that by paying the $36/year, you get better sound quality and no advertising of any kind.

I realize that I'm coming off as being totally biased here towards Pandora One and I don't deny it. Right now, I'm completely fed up with XM Radio.

2013 ASM/Black Touring
Blue Door Sill Illumination
Splash Guards
Upgraded Horn
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-24-2013, 05:51 AM
4th Gear

Re: Pandora One vs. XM Radio

With you.. don't think i will renew again. I was able to get 6 months for 24 bucks so i did renew after my free 3 months. I don't use it to often but do find myself on a couple of there stations regularly enough where i may consider it.

The only thing i can think of that Pandora doesn't. You sorta need to know what type of artist you want to listen to. With XM, which is more like regular radio you can hear new artists and tracks you typically might not hear on Pandora. I guess i could use the genre channels maybe for that?

post #3 of 23 Old 03-24-2013, 06:06 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I've had a love/hate relationship with XM Radio for years. I first purchased a portable XM receiver about 8 years ago that I could take from my car to my home. I was never really thrilled with the choices of music stations that they offered, but it was the only service of its type, (except for Sirius before they merged).

Now that the 3 month trial period that came with my '13 Accord has ended, I'm seriously considering severing ties with XM altogether and switching to Pandora One. Pandora One, from my perspective, seems to have a number advantages over XM Radio.

Namely:

*Pandora One is cheaper; $36 for Pandora One vs. your best negotiated price for XM Radio

*You can create your own stations with Pandora One vs. whatever is available on XM Radio

*Pandora One learns your musical tastes, XM Radio doesn't

*There are no disc jockeys on Pandora One vs. annoying (to me) chatter between songs on XM music stations

*There's no advertising of any kind on Pandora One vs. many XM stations with advertising on XM Radio

*You can skip songs with Pandora One, but can't with XM Radio

*Songs on Pandora One can be paused but can't be with XM Radio

*The sound quality is better on Pandora One (192K bits per second) vs. ? on XM Radio

*With Pandora, you can take your music with you and listen to it through your smart phone or computer at no extra charge, not true with XM Radio

The reason that I'm mentioning Pandora One and not regular (free) Pandora is that by paying the $36/year, you get better sound quality and no advertising of any kind.

I realize that I'm coming off as being totally biased here towards Pandora One and I don't deny it. Right now, I'm completely fed up with XM Radio.

You nailed it I been using Pandora 1 for years and once my 90 days is up the only way I would go XM is if it was free. I don't even listen to AM/FM anymore

post #4 of 23 Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 AM
4th Gear

I just sync up my free iphone Pandora app with the car

No ads play as far as I can remember... Or maybe I'm too busy singing songs to notice

- 2013 Honda Accord Sport - White Orchid Pearl - Gloss Black Roof, Weathertech Liners, Lamin-X tinted tail lights, Rays 20" OEM Nissan GT-R wheels, Modulo rep front lip finished with Line-X, Touring Quad LED Headlights, Borla Axle-back #11840
post #5 of 23 Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 AM
1st Gear

Another good one is Spotify Mobile. That's what I've tried out recently. $9.99/month and you can create your own playlists song by song, not just stations.

'13 EX-L V6 Coupe
post #6 of 23 Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

All the above is true esp about XM fidelity being bad...but you better have an unlimited data plan if you are going to be a pandora person. The average data plan can use pandora for 20 hrs a month if you received or transmitted no other data - which is impossible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'16 Camaro
post #7 of 23 Old 03-24-2013, 09:29 AM
4th Gear

Re: Pandora One vs. XM Radio

Good call on the dataplan. Something i always overlook. I have never paid for a phone so i don't think about it.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 AM
4th Gear

I'm on a shared data plan (8gb) among 4 lines so it works out for me. Even with consistent use of Pandora among other data intensive activities my family has managed to use up a mere 5 gigs or below monthly

- 2013 Honda Accord Sport - White Orchid Pearl - Gloss Black Roof, Weathertech Liners, Lamin-X tinted tail lights, Rays 20" OEM Nissan GT-R wheels, Modulo rep front lip finished with Line-X, Touring Quad LED Headlights, Borla Axle-back #11840
post #9 of 23 Old 03-25-2013, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

I hate loosing XM option on my EX model, but I did get the touch screen radio display, can't figure that out.

But just recently started using Pandora...scared about going over Data limits, but not really, I guess the commuting and weekend driving with Pandora on, doesn't really hurt my Data consumption much.

Pandora has great features, the quality is awesome, so now I only have XM on my home which I'm considering disconnecting. I guess that I was overpaying for non-commercial radio.

I do notice that the Pandora station list is somewhat slow to display
post #10 of 23 Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 PM
3rd Gear

Wink

I'm not an audiophile, but IMHO xm sounds horrible unless you like talk radio or 50s oldies. For streaming audio, I really like slacker, which has as many curated genre stations as xm. For me aha works okay for switching slacker stations, as long as you do the setup before you get in the car. They also have a paid tier that I think removes ads. Slacker has a skip function and like/dislike similar to pandora.

The downsides to streaming are data plan usage and coverage. I find on at&t that there are lots of poor 3G/4G coverage spots in the boondocks where you spend a lot of time buffering instead of rockin'

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6AT Navi Modern Steel Metallic/Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aero Kit / Decklid spoiler / Illuminated Sills / Weathertech Floorliners / 3M DiNoc Black Carbon Fiber Interior Accents / Siri EyesFree

2009 Acura TSX Tech 5AT Palladium Metallic/Ebony
Past:
2005 Acura TL 5AT Abyss Blue Pearl/Quartz
2001 Accord EX V6 Taffeta White/Ivory
post #11 of 23 Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

XM is a joke compared to all the other options available. I really don't see XM lasting too much longer unless they start doing commercials for revenue. I got a letter from them the other day wanting to give me a year for $159, no way in hell I'm coughing up that! I've had my Accord for 3 months and have listened to XM maybe 10 minutes. Pandora is my choice, $3.99 a month, no commercials.

2013 Honda Accord Sedan
EX-L v6 w/Navi
Modern Steel Metallic
post #12 of 23 Old 03-25-2013, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear

Pandora One vs. XM Radio

I have a jailbroken iPhone with unlimited data. I installed a jailbroken app called - pandora skips, which removes the adds from pandora, and lets you skip as many songs as you like.
Problem is pandora plays the same music over, and over. If you use pandora enough you will notice it also.
I recently installed grooveshark on my iPhone It is 100 times better then pandora. But your phone must be jailbroken to install it. You can try grooveshark on your personal computer, or run it threw your web browser on your phone to try it out. Trust me you will love it

Sent from
post #13 of 23 Old 03-25-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
XM is a joke compared to all the other options available. I really don't see XM lasting too much longer unless they start doing commercials for revenue. I got a letter from them the other day wanting to give me a year for $159, no way in hell I'm coughing up that! I've had my Accord for 3 months and have listened to XM maybe 10 minutes. Pandora is my choice, $3.99 a month, no commercials.
Or only $3.00 a month if you pay for a year ($36) up front.

2013 ASM/Black Touring
Blue Door Sill Illumination
Splash Guards
Upgraded Horn
post #14 of 23 Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 PM
To me my board!

Loved XM before the merger with Sirus, it had much fewer commercials and talky crap! I've been using Pandora since 2005/6 on the computer and as soon as I was able to work it out on my iPhone I've been using it ever since. It got much easier with the release of the official Pandora App.

Pandora does indeed have a limited selection (by artist or genre) but I've got such a wide range of listening selections that I'm rarely bothered by Pandora's limitations. I've gladly paid the yearly fee to remove the restrictions and ads.

All that said... If I can get Sirus/XM at a drastically reduced rate, $50 or less a year, I'll renew for the variety. Sirus/XM will need to change their game plans on subscriptions pretty soon or services like Pandora, iHeart Radio, Spotify and others will run them out of business.

2013 Accord EX-L Navi V6 Sedan
White Orchid Pearl

post #15 of 23 Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

Check out Slacker, good middle ground

Advertisement

Tags
pandora one, xm radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.