DIY: Shift Knob Refinish - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

DIY: Shift Knob Refinish

Since I really dislike the feel and ergonomics of the stock Sport shifter, I decided to use an OEM Honda S2000 shift knob. This was also a fun DIY because of the nostalgic nature of the shift knob. As you can see from my sig, I used to own a '08 AP2 S2K and I have never gotten over that beast. Plus, the S2K shift knob just feels "right" in my hand.

Anyways, I found some old sand paper that I had laying around and decided to refinish my S2K Shift Knob. It had a lot of scratches and dings.

What I did to refinish the shift knob...

Here is what the shift knob looked like before. As you can see, it is heavily scratched and looks like a lost cause.

Step 1: I sanded the top portion with 320 grit sandpaper.

Note: The hardest part to sand down is where the leather meets the metal. It took a lot of patience, but after about 15-20 minutes I was able to get enough of the factory finish off (not 100% but good enough). I also focused heavily just under the shift pattern because that's where the majority of the deeper scratches were.

Finished results with 320 grit:

Step 2: I took 400 grit sand paper and did the same thing I did in Step 1. I used 400 grit to smooth out the finish just a bit. I got the majority of the scratches out during this step.

Note: I used blue painters tape to mask off the edge of the leather. I didn't want to ruin the leather.

Step 3: I'm not too sure what grit sand paper I used during this step (probably around 400-500 grit). I used this specific sand paper because it is foam padded which allowed me to get a uniform look. I couldn't mimic the factory finish because they used machinery to produce a circular pattern-- just not possible by hand. So, I decided to give it a brushed aluminum look (horizontal pattern). You can do whatever pattern you want on this step.

Step 4: Now that I got the scratches out and the look I desired, I used 2000 grit automotive sand paper to polish it out even more. It produced a slightly shinier finish and made the shift knob much smoother to touch.

Step 5 (Final): Now that I had a smooth finish, I used 3000 grit automotive sand paper. This particular sand paper is also padded which allowed me to get a very nice even pattern. It also smoothed out the finish even more. I think it turned out great. Note: by having this type of padded sand paper really helps with uniformity and applying even amount of pressure.

This is the end of the sanding process. Here are some pics after I cleaned up the leather and the shift pattern.

1. I used Lexol Leather Conditioner to rejuvenate the leather wrapping.

Before Lexol:

After Lexol:

The top of the shift pattern was a but dull so I used a black Sharpie to color it in. I basically soaked the grooves with ink and let it dry. After it dried, I used my fingertip/fingernail to rub off the excess on top. Note: don't rub too hard because you may end up going too far into the groove and remove the ink.

What a difference!

Here are some pics of the shift knob installed on my car and couple of other Honda's:

Note: For those wondering how I secured the shift boot, I used a Rubber Shock Absorber from Pep Boys (part #: 31012) to keep it from moving around. Credit goes to elabs75accord for giving me this great tip

Thanks for viewing and I hope you guys enjoyed. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Previous:
1. '06 G35 Coupe 6MT
2. '08 S2000
3. '10 G37 Sedan 7AT

Current:
'13 Honda Accord Sport Sedan 6MT MSM
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 PM
4th Gear

DIY: Shift Knob Refinish

Good work! I'm leaning towards the very similar CR-Z knob. If only I could find one that wasn't $115.

Sent from

2013 Accord Sport Black 6MT
post #3 of 21 Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Four Doors/Three Pedals

Nice job!

It looks great.

2013 Honda Accord EX 2.4L 6MT MSM
OEM Splash Guards
OEM Door Visors
OEM Moonroof Visor
FormFit Hood Air Deflector
Horn Upgrade
Pilot Genuine Black Leather Steering Wheel Cover
K&N 33-2498
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
--
├┼┼╕
246R

post #4 of 21 Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 PM
4th Gear

well done. For me, I bought 2012 TL knob and installed it. Much easier job.

The top almost looks the same.

13 EX Sedan MT ASM
  • roadcomfort.com Leather Seats
  • Weathertech Mats
  • Morimoto Elite 5000k Headlights
  • Deck Lid Spoiler
  • TL Shift Knob
  • Tint (50% - Front/5% - Back)
  • LED Interior Lights
  • Five Star Shine
  • Yellow 2500k Fog Lights
  • TL SH-AWD Rear Sway Bar (20mm)
  • V6 Front Sway Bar

Future Projects:
  • In-Dash GPS (if I can find it)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Dream Car = C5 Corvette

damn now i want a manual~! lol no lie

Move Dat Doe
post #6 of 21 Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 PM
3rd Gear

Awesome!!
post #7 of 21 Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 AM
5th Gear

good job on the refurb.

too bad the base doesn't match the stem size
post #8 of 21 Old 03-22-2013, 04:36 AM
6th Gear

A job well done, buddy! Very neat!
post #9 of 21 Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 AM
1st Gear

Off topic, sorry but noticed your previous rides jn your sig.

How does your 13 mt sport compare to your 10 g37? I ask because we concidered that car, but the maintenance costs/reliability kind if scared us away..
post #10 of 21 Old 03-22-2013, 05:01 AM
No lifetime fluids!

yes very nice.

'09 LX 5MT Sedan - ASM/BLK
V1, OEM splash guards, leather wheel,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #11 of 21 Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flushem View Post
well done. For me, I bought 2012 TL knob and installed it. Much easier job.

The top almost looks the same.
The TL shift knob does look very nice. The leather would've probably matched better. Does the bottom of the shift knob clip on the shift boot like the stock? I don't know why but I've always like the look and feel of the S2K knob-- plus it was a fun little project to see if I could get it looking somewhat decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdburger View Post
good job on the refurb.

too bad the base doesn't match the stem size
Thanks. The lady also said the same thing. She kind of hates how it looks not being flush with the shift knob. My response is "it's not about looks, it's about feel!" That doesn't change her mind lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skubasteve! View Post
Off topic, sorry but noticed your previous rides jn your sig.

How does your 13 mt sport compare to your 10 g37? I ask because we concidered that car, but the maintenance costs/reliability kind if scared us away..
I sold the G37 because I really disliked the automatic transmission. I didn't notice how jerky and confused the transmission acted during the initial test-drive. In stop-and-go traffic, the transmission would jump all over 1st and 2nd causing a very rough ride. This was very disappointing considering it was a 7 speed auto and a "luxury" vehicle. I even took it in the dealership on 3 different visits to get the TSB reflash, transmission flush and nothing seemed to work. It's nice having a manual again to control what gear to be in. Additionally, I decided it wasn't worth paying the extra for premium gas and only getting 19mpg.

The G is a VERY FAST sedan. The power was great when you floored it and handling and road feel was pretty good. Comfort-wise, I would say it's about even with the Sport. I do like the cloth seats in the Sport better than leather just because it requires less maintenance.

IMO the G is a nice car if you can used to the jerkiness of the transmission. As far as technology, the Sport has more features and just looks a bit more modern. I really like the Sport and I think it was a good decision to trade it in.

Previous:
1. '06 G35 Coupe 6MT
2. '08 S2000
3. '10 G37 Sedan 7AT

Current:
post #12 of 21 Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

Any chance we can get a pic of the TL shift knob?
post #13 of 21 Old 03-22-2013, 08:38 PM
9th Gen Coupe

should polish it!

2013 V6 Coupe
MSM/Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and

5000k HID Low Beam, Yellow vinyl wrapped fog light

Roof Spoiler
Debadged
Exhaust Resonator Delete
H&R Sport Springs

Will be updated periodically.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-22-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
Good work! I'm leaning towards the very similar CR-Z knob. If only I could find one that wasn't $115.

Sent from
Have you looked at the 9th gen Civic SI shift knobs? Exact same design but with red stitching. I think it will look better because of the red stitching, which is the theme color of the Sport.

Previous:
1. '06 G35 Coupe 6MT
2. '08 S2000
3. '10 G37 Sedan 7AT

Current:
post #15 of 21 Old 03-22-2013, 09:01 PM
4th Gear

For 2013 the CR-Z ditched the blue stitching in favor of red, just like the Civic Si.

They are nearly identical, so either one would work. I just don't want a knob that doesn't fit flush with the silver mounting "washer" (for lack of a better term) where it meets the boot. It looks like either of these knobs would have the same appearance as the S2000 shifter where it meets the silver washer.

2013 Accord Sport Black 6MT
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.