iOttie Easy Flex 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 5 & 4S - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 02-05-2013, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Garage
iOttie Easy Flex 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 5 & 4S

Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1360105284.870484.jpg
Views: 4107
Size: 34.2 KB

I'm making this new topic for the iOttie Easy Flex 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 5 & 4S rather than continuing to post about iOttie in the "I'll be Proclips guinea pig" topic found here: I'll be Proclips guinea pig

Official iOttie website link:

Amazon link:

I have a 2013 Accord EX-L I4 navi (with both screens) and mounted my iPhone 5 on the shelf in front of the i-MID using the iOttie Easy Flex 2 which uses a combination of suction power as well as the suction cup being sticky.

Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1360107356.348787.jpg
Views: 6286
Size: 99.5 KB

The Accord's shelf has a seam in the plastic which I suspected might interfere with the suction cup over time.

Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1360107409.466096.jpg
Views: 3912
Size: 41.4 KB

I first installed it partially over that seam on Thursday, Jan. 31 when I bought the new car. If it had been installed to the right of the seam then the i-MID screen would have been blocked by the iPhone -- and to mount it to the right of the screen on the shelf would put the iPhone too far from the driver, in my opinion.

When I installed the iOttie, I did tighten its ring all the way, but yesterday (Feb. 4, four days later) the device became wobbly and I found that the suction cup was no longer holding it firmly in place. I pushed it back down and it held tightly again but I knew the problem might return.

Because I suspect the seam on the shelf is interfering with the suction cup, today I removed the iOttie ...

Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1360107491.916409.jpg
Views: 3845
Size: 17.5 KB

... and put transparent tape over the part of the seam that the suction cup covers, thus eliminating the gap.

Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1360107526.282157.jpg
Views: 3764
Size: 16.7 KB

(Continued)

Sent from

Red 2013 Accord EX-L coupe w/Navi & gold w/red case iPhone 6+. Follow me on Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Garage

I reinstalled the iOttie, even putting it slightly to the left of where it had been before. (I tried to put it back exactly where I had it, but I see in the pictures that it now is a little further over away from the i-MID than it was the first time.)

Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1360107617.366520.jpg
Views: 3904
Size: 21.4 KB

I'll let you know if over time the suction cup becomes loose again.

Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1360107646.866370.jpg
Views: 3830
Size: 23.6 KB

All in all, I like this product and where I installed it in my Accord.

Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1360107682.666412.jpg
Views: 6772
Size: 43.3 KB

It's so much better than putting my iPhone in the cup holder like I did in my previous Accord. Now I can easily tap the screen to use the Waze map app in addition to the Accord's built-in navigation. I find the Accord's navigation is much easier to see, but not as easy to set a destination as using a map app on the iPhone. I also like how Waze is crowd-sourced so it indicates radar traps, vehicles parked on the shoulder, heavy traffic and accidents better than Honda's navigation.

(Reposting the following from the other topic...)

I asked the official twitter account "What's better for iPhone 5? "iOttie Easy Flex 2" or "iOttie Easy One Touch Universal Car Mount Holder for iPhone 5, 4S, Smartphone"?

They answered "Hello! The Easy Flex 2 was specifically made for the iPhone 5. It is very small and compact and fits the iPhone 5 perfectly!"

...It's more compact than the other one and some reviewers say it vibrates less, too.

I just bought the iOttie Easy Flex2 iPhone 5 holder via Amazon -- two of them because my wife wants one, too! The total was $33.98 plus $5.56 shipping & handling.

I noticed that the plastic panel on the Accord dash (where I mounted mine) has a little give to it -- might be an access panel? The entire flat piece of smooth plastic right in front of that i-MID screen has some give to it. I noticed this when I was removing my iOttie in order to reposition the iPhone holder a bit. Try lifting up your iOttie while it is attached there and you might see what I mean: the Accord's plastic panel there isn't as solidly-mounted as the iOttie that is attached to it.

Sent from

Red 2013 Accord EX-L coupe w/Navi & gold w/red case iPhone 6+. Follow me on Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 47 Old 02-05-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Garage

(Continuing what I wrote in the other topic about the iOttie...)

On an unrelated note, here are pictures of where my wife experimented with mounting her iOttie in her Odyssey van before she put it where I had first suggested: on a flat part of the top of the dashboard, in reach of the driver.

Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1360107892.131576.jpg
Views: 4020
Size: 39.4 KB

In the above photo, the storage door kept wanting to open up when the iPhone was attached... I suggested a piece of duct tape to keep the door closed if she really wanted it there. ;-)

Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1360107912.797631.jpg
Views: 4880
Size: 49.3 KB

The above picture is a great location, but only accessible to the passenger and not the driver.

She's looking forward to when she'll have a newer Odyssey van with a shelf in front of the i-MID screen like my Accord has.

Sent from

post #4 of 47 Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM
6th Gear

I still do not like any iphone holder period. But whattya going to do. At least you got a sensible spot to put it. I still think it would be cool to get the phone to stay into the eye glass holder somehow. Flip it down when you want it. Up when you don't. Easy to reach and see etc

2015 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD Elite
2013 'Hemie' Accord Touring V6 - Canadian - Retired
post #5 of 47 Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Garage

I can rest my wrist on the edge of the shelf when I use an index finger to tap the screen. I do not tap to text while driving... Siri can take my voice dictation to text. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Siri compatibility update from Honda.

Sent from

post #6 of 47 Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM
1st Gear

Hello, i have the "iOttie Easy One Touch Universal Car Mount Holder for iPhone 5, 4S, Smartphone" and am experiencing similar issues with it staying. i have it in the same exact place as well. i think the seam definetly has something to do with it. and my iphone 4s isnt the lightest with my case on it. ive been screwing around with it for awhile and never thought about the transparent tape. this morning was the first trip i made where it didnt fall off.

i like the looks of your easy flex alot better. and it folds down when not in use? how do you release the phone once locked in?
post #7 of 47 Old 02-06-2013, 06:26 AM
1st Gear

also, i used to have a sandbag mount for my garmin gps that was great, no stick necessary. I wonder if theres something similar but smaller for the iphone that would work in that small spot.
post #8 of 47 Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 AM
6th Gear

Arrow

Read the 1,2 & 3 Star reviews on Amazon, lots of complaints about not sticking to dash boards-->

I'm want a mount like this, I'll wait for updates on staying put from this thread.
post #9 of 47 Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 AM
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears

I must be missing something here.

When I get in my car, I just leave my iPhone in my pocket and use the car's Bluetooth to control it.

2013 ASM/Black Touring
Blue Door Sill Illumination
Splash Guards
Upgraded Horn
post #10 of 47 Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post

When I get in my car, I just leave my iPhone in my pocket and use the car's Bluetooth to control it.
Navigation.

I have an HTC One X+ which is not compatible with the Accord so I don't get texts on the in-dash screen either.

I've had my LX for a little over a week, not sure which dash mount I'm going to order yet. I haven't had the need to use my Droid's GPS yet but I'm sure as soon as I do I'll order a mount that night lol.
post #11 of 47 Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post

I'm gonna use the USB and run the wire between the plastic shroud around the Navi screen, the way I did for my V1, I like the idea of the Mount in that location.
post #12 of 47 Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

i wonder if something like this would fit in that spot. seems kind of big but i cant find the dimensions on it.

looks like Amzer makes it

post #13 of 47 Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smcderm View Post
i wonder if something like this would fit in that spot. seems kind of big but i cant find the dimensions on it.

looks like Amzer makes it

post #14 of 47 Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Thank you for this post as I'm about to do 8 days in Cali in a rental car all over LA... - just got the Ottie this morning and it's perfect.....the best thing is how small it is to pack without losing any features of a mount...

question: I use this in rental cars on the windshield...I wonder if I can elem the sticky stuff and just use the suction?...getting it off a windshield at a rental car return quickly is going to be tough...I wrote Ottie CS to see if sticky can be removed...

[update: I received this back in 5 min from Ottie - great survce and this works pretty well - just common sense really:]

Dear Glen,

Thank you so much for your inquiry and we are terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

There is no actual way to take the sticky stuff off the cup however, I own an Easy Flex 2 myself and I just purposely made it less sticky by rubbing it up against my shirt. This way without it being locked it is pretty much useless and once I unlock it it falls right off.

Sorry about that let me know if this helps!

Have a great day!

My DD:'16 Camaro
post #15 of 47 Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smcderm View Post
i like the looks of your easy flex a lot better. and it folds down when not in use? how do you release the phone once locked in?
Yes, it folds down if you want, but the wings that go to the left and right of the phone will stick up if you do, so it isn't totally flat. One of the wings is a spring mound. In my picture, it is on the right, but you can rotate it to either side -- or even landscape mode if you want. To release the phone, just pull that wing away from the center of the device.

And I like to use my iPhone hooked into the Accord's audio using USB because it sounds much better than Bluetooth audio.

Sent from

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.