HID in Halogen projectors - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

HID in Halogen projectors

I know you guys won't open up your headlights and check. but I am considering putting morimoto 35w or 55w 5000k in my coupe. This is what I am worry about.
*not my pic, credit goes to a user at HIDplanet*

The problem is on top of the pic. the reflector bowl is damage from the HID bulb.

Morimoto is a brand TheRetroFitSource use. So I am sure the quality is not POS. What do you guys think? will this happen if i put HID in?

Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 PM
I can't drive 55!

From what I read, this shouldn't be a problem if you stick with the 35w bulb.

post #3 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXGTS View Post
From what I read, this shouldn't be a problem if you stick with the 35w bulb.
So that problem only happens if I put in 50w?

I think I should contact TRS themselves...

post #4 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 06:08 PM
4th Gear

I wanna know too if we have to stick with 35w hid orbif going with 55w won't hurt anything. Planning on also buying a Morimoto Hid kit 35w 5000k hope it's not too blue

2013 Honda Accord Sport
Alabaster Silver
post #5 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by paticumbia View Post
I wanna know too if we have to stick with 35w hid orbif going with 55w won't hurt anything. Planning on also buying a Morimoto Hid kit 35w 5000k hope it's not too blue
The 5000k is white even on camera pics
post #6 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 PM
4th Gear

Just ordered a complete 55w HID kit from Absolute HID in Canada in 4300k tint. Spoke with the rep and he told me not to worry about the 55w hids. They run cooler than any 55w halogen out there.

Was told that the spark from the HID emit less heat than a burning filament on the halogen.

Time will tell....
post #7 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockeed View Post
Just ordered a complete 55w HID kit from Absolute HID in Canada in 4300k tint. Spoke with the rep and he told me not to worry about the 55w hids. They run cooler than any 55w halogen out there.

Was told that the spark from the HID emit less heat than a burning filament on the halogen.

Time will tell....
I hope you got a relay otherwise within time you will hate yourself. There are a couple of issues with 55W HIDS, one is that after a while it will eat the chrome thats inside the housing and two is that when you first start them is when they draw more power than a 55W Halogen, which will damage your wire harness

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Nav
Crystal Black Pearl/Black Interior
Splash Guards - Wheel Locks - HID's in Lows (6K) and fogs (3k) - Weather Tech Digital FLoor Mats - ExLed Custom Interior Lights.

Previous 2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Nav, Crystal Black Pearll/Black Interior

Previous 2008 Honda Accord EX-L I4 Nav, Nighthawk Black/Black Interior
post #8 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulja4187 View Post
I hope you got a relay otherwise within time you will hate yourself. There are a couple of issues with 55W HIDS, one is that after a while it will eat the chrome thats inside the housing and two is that when you first start them is when they draw more power than a 55W Halogen, which will damage your wire harness
So you recommend staying with 35w? and I just contacted TRS... should have an answer tomorrow..
post #9 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKhanhOo View Post
So you recommend staying with 35w? and I just contacted TRS... should have an answer tomorrow..
I do, my friend has been running them for 5 years with no issue, he runs a relay for the sake of the wires. Dont trust these companies they just want to sell you the product,

Splash Guards - Wheel Locks - HID's in Lows (6K) and fogs (3k) - Weather Tech Digital FLoor Mats - ExLed Custom Interior Lights.

post #10 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Out of Control

^^^ I'll second the 35w recommendation for low beams.
I'm not sayin' but I'm just sayn', 55w low beams are very unfriendly to oncoming drivers on a two lane road.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #11 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
^^^ I'll second the 35w recommendation for low beams.
I'm not sayin' but I'm just sayn', 55w low beams are very unfriendly to oncoming drivers on a two lane road.
How much brighter with HID 35w than 55w Halogen?
post #12 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 07:58 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Like a 20 to 30%

post #13 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 PM
4th Gear

This is why I am saving my pennies to do a projector retrofit. Might as well do it right....yes, it will be more expensive but way better light output too.

'13 Sport sedan w/ CVT

TL Rear swaybar, TSX projector retro, V6 Headlight retro, other small stuff....
post #14 of 17 Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 PM
3rd Gear

you're most likely better off with a 35w HID kit instead of a 55w Kit. Two reasons that i know of.
1. The higher the wattage the more glare it will create especially in a halogen projector compared to a actual HID projector.
2. You run the risk of melting/damaging your projectors because of the heat that most 55w HID kits give off, and if you try to claim warranty on your headlight, its most likely Honda will deny you of that warranty if you ever do claim it for damage from the HID kit.
If you put out the cash, try to get a proper retrofit or do the headlight upgrade to the LED headlights from honda

Canadian 2011 Taffeta White Accord Coupe V6 Automatic
Retrofitted Headlights S2K w/ Black series clear lens- Takeda SRI - Switchback LEDs Type 1 - JDM Badging - S2K AP2 Exhaust Tips - HFP lip kit
post #15 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
30% is a good guess but 55W is just 5W short of our 60W highbeams.

A better question is how much dimmer than the high beam and it will be very close to the highbeam. Add in glare and it could be a problem.

I spoke with Retrofit Source about the Morimotos and they recommended 35W and confirmed that HID shining through halogen projectors is not as ideal as an HID projector because of glare but the MM works well-many people use MMs and don't seem to have major issues (with 35w).

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.