When to change oil? 5000 miles, 15%, 5%, 1 year, follow sticker, when? Help! ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ - Page 67 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
147Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average. Display Modes
post #991 of 1001 Old 10-26-2017, 09:48 AM

Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard99 View Post
I have another question. For a 4 cylinder Honda Accord 2017.

And when you need to top off your oil level.

Is both 0w-20 synthetic blend, or 0w-20 100 percent synthetic oil acceptable.

And can you use any brand, i.e. quaker state, mobil one, Valvoline, Honda brand.

Thanks.
What does your owner's manual say about that?

Advertisement

post #992 of 1001 Old 10-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard99 View Post
I have another question. For a 4 cylinder Honda Accord 2017.

And when you need to top off your oil level.

Is both 0w-20 synthetic blend, or 0w-20 100 percent synthetic oil acceptable.

And can you use any brand, i.e. quaker state, mobil one, Valvoline, Honda brand.

Thanks.
It's ok to use any brand, and any kind of oil as long as it's the correct grade (0w-20 or whatever your car uses)

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #993 of 1001 Old 10-28-2017, 04:35 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
It pretty much boils down to:

Use the factory-recommended viscosity of whatever reputable brand you like, and change when the maintenance minder tells you to.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #994 of 1001 Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 PM
3rd Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
It pretty much boils down to:

Use the factory-recommended viscosity of whatever reputable brand you like, and change when the maintenance minder tells you to.

WHAT?! I need to boil the oil first?
LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #995 of 1001 Old 11-06-2017, 11:28 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseMBA View Post
WHAT?! I need to boil the oil first?
LOL
Yes. That way, your fried eggs will be more tasty.

JK. It just means "It comes down to".

You will be remembered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #996 of 1001 Old 11-07-2017, 06:09 AM
3rd Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Yes. That way, your fried eggs will be more tasty.

JK. It just means "It comes down to".

Some people get so upset over oil. Being new to this I just get more confused. So poking a little fun, even at my self and my dumb questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #997 of 1001 Old 11-12-2017, 03:40 AM
1st Gear

Oil changes are often a controversial topic. You can go to bobistheoilguy website and read up on various opinions and analysis. They also cover motorcycles, etc.
post #998 of 1001 Old 11-29-2017, 07:22 AM
1st Gear

Here is a great video showing the benefits of synthetic vs conventional oil.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 11-29-2017 at 09:14 AM. Reason: embed vid
The Following User Says Thank You to Adrock77 For This Useful Post:
Kamdog (12-20-2017)
post #999 of 1001 Old 12-20-2017, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

Good Day: I bought a New left-over '17 Accord Touring V6 last night. Looks like late production, arrived at the Dealer on Aug.17th. Picking it up today. Dealer told me a few things, and I said HMM

Per them: Accord V6 has 0W-20 Full Synthetic from the factory. That is all they use, Honda brand. Their deal:

Lube, Full Synthetic Oil, Filter, top off the fluids, Ck. the Tire pressure and Rotate the tires, Car wash. $ 69.99. Sounds like a decent deal. First one on them.

0W-20?? I'm in Cali, doesn't get real cold here. Everybody stick with that viscosity??

Is it really all synthetic??

I usually change around 3,000, then every 4,000-5,000, utilizing reg. oil. Syn. Blend of Full Synthetic can go longer of course. Looking forward to learning about the car... Thanx..
post #1000 of 1001 Old 12-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post
Good Day: I bought a New left-over '17 Accord Touring V6 last night. Looks like late production, arrived at the Dealer on Aug.17th. Picking it up today. Dealer told me a few things, and I said HMM

Per them: Accord V6 has 0W-20 Full Synthetic from the factory. That is all they use, Honda brand. Their deal:

Lube, Full Synthetic Oil, Filter, top off the fluids, Ck. the Tire pressure and Rotate the tires, Car wash. $ 69.99. Sounds like a decent deal. First one on them.

0W-20?? I'm in Cali, doesn't get real cold here. Everybody stick with that viscosity??

Is it really all synthetic??

I usually change around 3,000, then every 4,000-5,000, utilizing reg. oil. Syn. Blend of Full Synthetic can go longer of course. Looking forward to learning about the car... Thanx..
Congrats!

Oil brand doesn't matter much, as long as it's from a reputable brand(Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Castrol, etc.). Honda doesn't make engine oil themself, they source it from other oil manufacturers.

0W oils are considered full synthetics, and yes, 9th Gen owners generally all follow that viscosity without trouble.

As to when to change oil, just follow the maintenance minder and oil life indicator. 3000-mile oil changes are for classic hot rods and rotary engines, not a new Honda.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

You will be remembered.

The Following User Says Thank You to UnknownJinX For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (12-21-2017)
post #1001 of 1001 Old 12-21-2017, 03:57 AM
5th Gear

Garage
What they said above. Just don't get hung up on a magical number like 10,000 as my car is 0% at about 6K miles. Only real issue you may have is claiming an oil warranty with AMSOIL because you have their product mixed with whatever you topped off with in the UOA kit they sent you. Mobil 1 and Royal Purple oil warranty, good luck with that. Mobil 1 pretty much claims a false
optimistic mileage interval then follows up with (*) don't tow, race, idle or exceed the OCI set by your manufacturer.

In short it's too soon to worry about claiming an oil warranty on a brand new 9.5 Accord, lots of things had to have gone wrong to need it. Having oil is better than no oil.

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD)
2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)
Advertisement

Tags
indicator, maintenance minder, oil change, oil life, read the owners manual, rtfm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.