When to change oil? 5000 miles, 15%, 5%, 1 year, follow sticker, when? Help! ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ - Page 5 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
147Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average. Display Modes
post #61 of 1001 Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Honda Nation

One thing ALL 9th gen owners need to know, since it's still brand new and I doubt any of you have over a couple thousand miles on yours yet....

DO NOT PERFORM YOUR FIRST OIL CHANGE UNTIL THE MM READS 0%

Again, DON'T change the oil until you are at absolute ZERO!

Honda applies a special lubricant at the factory to the internal engine parts that are meant to help valve guides, rings, bearings, and all the other vital internal engine parts to seat properly.

Your owners manual will say the same thing, that is to not perform your first oil change until the MM is at zero.

After that you can change it whenever you want.

May 2009 - Present: 2009 Accord V6 6 MT coupe w/o nav, Alabaster Silver

Dec. 1999 - May 2010: 2000 Prelude 5 MT, sold with 220,000 miles and still running great - gone, but not forgotten
Advertisement

post #62 of 1001 Old 11-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
One thing ALL 9th gen owners need to know, since it's still brand new and I doubt any of you have over a couple thousand miles on yours yet....

DO NOT PERFORM YOUR FIRST OIL CHANGE UNTIL THE MM READS 0%

Again, DON'T change the oil until you are at absolute ZERO!

Honda applies a special lubricant at the factory to the internal engine parts that are meant to help valve guides, rings, bearings, and all the other vital internal engine parts to seat properly.

Your owners manual will say the same thing, that is to not perform your first oil change until the MM is at zero.

After that you can change it whenever you want.

I don't think I'd be quite so dramatic as to use bold font for going to zero pct......changing anywhere near or under 30% will let the "special elixir " in the Honda oil do its work. It not THAT Special, just some additional Molys and such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'16 Camaro
post #63 of 1001 Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 PM
2nd Gear

I changed my oil today, at 3642 miles.

I opt for Pennzoil Ultra 5W20, and a M1 oil filter that I always had in my arsenal.

The new K24 is so much easier to change out the oil filter, my TSX was a PITA to change oil filter since it's on the back of the engine.

Also fitted a fumoto valve while I was at it, will make all future oil changes a tad easier.

post #64 of 1001 Old 11-24-2012, 03:22 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
I don't think I'd be quite so dramatic as to use bold font for going to zero pct......changing anywhere near or under 30% will let the "special elixir " in the Honda oil do its work. It not THAT Special, just some additional Molys and such.
Can't wait to get enough time on mine to change it. Intend to take a sample and send it off for lab analysis; just gotta find out what the ingredients are!

2013 EX-L, 4cyl, 4dr, Champagne, spoiler, side molding, mud guards, pin stripe, Goodyear tires w wheel locks.
$28,200 OTD

2007 Altima, 4cyl, 120K. M1 -5-30
2000 Ford Ranger, 6 cyl, 45K. 5-30 anything
2011 Can Am Spyder RTSE 32K, 10-40 Amsoil
post #65 of 1001 Old 11-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

From bobistheoilguy.com (the best site for OCD oil geeks)

"A member here did a UOA (Used oil analysis) on his new Honda to find that the oil appeared to be run-of-the-mill 20 grade oil with lots of moly."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #66 of 1001 Old 11-24-2012, 04:18 AM
2nd Gear

Glen, thanks...I'll see if I can find it. I know a lot of brands use some Moly but not sure how much; besides, I'm thinking moly is an anti-wear additive and I don't see how that can be conducive to breaking in a motor. It might simply be that the oil Honda is using is one of those brands, and not really anything special.

2013 EX-L, 4cyl, 4dr, Champagne, spoiler, side molding, mud guards, pin stripe, Goodyear tires w wheel locks.
$28,200 OTD

post #67 of 1001 Old 11-24-2012, 04:30 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
Glen, thanks...I'll see if I can find it. I know a lot of brands use some Moly but not sure how much; besides, I'm thinking moly is an anti-wear additive and I don't see how that can be conducive to breaking in a motor. It might simply be that the oil Honda is using is one of those brands, and not really anything special.
my personal feeling is it's nothing special or a lot of other high end performance mfrs like Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Cosworth would be doing it....I don't think it's a scam, just not groundbreaking either....

check out #5:

and a good discussion here:

post #68 of 1001 Old 11-24-2012, 05:26 AM
2nd Gear

GlenE: thanks for refs. Good discussion on Bob's Oil Forum. I think I'll go about 4-5K max. Prob will use M1 as its readily avail, but intend to look into prices of Toyota 0W-20 which was recently discussed at length on Bob's as being especially outstanding. For filters, again I'll go with M1 or perhaps Napa Gold which uses syn blend filter material (at least the ones I got for my tractor are syn/blend).

$28,200 OTD

post #69 of 1001 Old 11-24-2012, 05:35 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
GlenE: thanks for refs. Good discussion on Bob's Oil Forum. I think I'll go about 4-5K max. Prob will use M1 as its readily avail, but intend to look into prices of Toyota 0W-20 which was recently discussed at length on Bob's as being especially outstanding. For filters, again I'll go with M1 or perhaps Napa Gold which uses syn blend filter material (at least the ones I got for my tractor are syn/blend).
Make sense - as you may have guessed, I think too many people overthink this...change at a reasonable time frame, use what ever is a brand name within spec on sale at the local auto part store, is my opin...

post #70 of 1001 Old 11-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Honda Racing Evolution

Some people want to watch oil companies get richer!! . My opinion and Honda who engineered the car tells you to follow MM.

"I live my life in the fast lane"

"Put your two cents in, and get a dollar back"
post #71 of 1001 Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

So my Accord included a free "Drive Forever Worry Free" limited lifetime powertrain warranty, but it is voided if any regular maintenance is missed, or if I fail to change the oil every 5000 miles regardless of what Honda recommends. It seems like that would screw up the whole A/B 1234 maintenance minder code system though yes?

This weird free warranty also requires taking the car to the dealer, or notifying them if you get the oil changed somewhere else (lol). Seems like more of a gimmick to keep you coming into their shop... Which I was planning on doing anyway, but now I almost don't want to!
post #72 of 1001 Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Retired from Car Biz....

crap warranty..violates everything Honda does with the MM - sounds like a BS dealer add on...it was free.....

post #73 of 1001 Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Molybdenum di-sulfide is a potent anti-wear surface bonding additive in motor oils and gear lubes. It's especially good for old style non roller valve trains and piston skirts. Honda used moly impregnated piston skirts in older B and H series performance engines. The press kit for the 9th gen Accords mentions a "dot matrix" anti-friction substance on pistons of the new DI 2.4 engines. This is likely a moly compound.

The down side of moly additives in engine oils is that molybdenum is a metal and will poison oxygen sensors and catalytic converters in high concentrations over time. For this reason modern formulations use only a very low concentration of moly.

2016 LX cvt Lunar Silver/black interior. I want to die quietly in my sleep, like Grandpa did. Not screaming like the people in his car...
post #74 of 1001 Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
I changed my oil today, at 3642 miles.

I opt for Pennzoil Ultra 5W20, and a M1 oil filter that I always had in my arsenal.

The new K24 is so much easier to change out the oil filter, my TSX was a PITA to change oil filter since it's on the back of the engine.

Also fitted a fumoto valve while I was at it, will make all future oil changes a tad easier.
I am assuming the'12 Accord fumuto valve will work on the 13? Their site doesn't show the '13 yet.
post #75 of 1001 Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM
banned

I am going to perform the first oil change at 4000 miles

I drove nearly 1000 miles and my MM indicator says 90% so the first oil change will be between 7500 to 10000 miles. Thus I will change the first one at 4K miles and do the second one when MM indicator is around 5%. After resetting the MM, I will wait until 15% for the third one. I will be using genuine Honda 1540-PLM-A01 oil filter and Mobil 1 0W-20 oil.

Advertisement

Tags
indicator, maintenance minder, oil change, oil life, read the owners manual, rtfm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.