When to change oil? 5000 miles, 15%, 5%, 1 year, follow sticker, when? Help! ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
147Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average. Display Modes
post #46 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM
No Gears, Got CVT :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
I don't get why people want to convince someone to not do oil changes every 3000 miles. Who cares what they do? It's hard to argue against the wear of on engine that has it's oil changed every 3000 miles. Is it excessive? Probably, due to updated engine tech, but is it bad for the car? No, unless it's changed prematurely during break in. 3k changes are a bit low for my taste. 5k miles is fine for me, plus or minus convenience or trips that come up around that 5k mark.
Because he is advising others to do the same. He can do what he wants but should not advise others to not follow the Owners Manual.

2013 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl CVT.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Previous new Accords:
1977 Accord Hatchback 2Dr CVCC 4Cyl MT
1986 Accord LX-i 2Dr 4Cyl MT
1994 Accord LX 2Dr 4Cyl MT
2003 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl MT

My YouTube
Channel.

Advertisement

post #47 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
I have had several Hondas and the MM is simply an odometer minder and not an oil monitor like BMW and MB claim that allow 15-18K intervals.

My 2003 MM was a odometer minder, but the 2013 takes into account cold starts and other things.

My Previous new Accords:

My YouTube
Channel.

post #48 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeySoft View Post
My 2003 MM was a odometer minder, but the 2013 takes into account cold starts and other things.
In 2006 it changed to an algorithm (of some sort). I don't know if it's more advanced on the 8th/9th gen though.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M

post #49 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaks2k View Post
I have used the s2000 filter on my accord's (6th and 7th gen) for years. I would ASSume the filter is the same for 8th and 9th gens since the block should be the same.

I did the same thing with my 2003. I have not tried it on my 2013 but it looks like what II Kings said. The sub frame may not allow the fatter filter.

My Previous new Accords:

My YouTube
Channel.

Last edited by MikeySoft; 11-20-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
post #50 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilm1112 View Post
The problem is the 3000 mile "rule" was developed 30 years ago when engine and oil technology were primitive compared to today. Think of it this way, if we had the same engine and oil technology that we have today 30 years ago when the "rule" was being developed, the recommended OCI would certainly have been higher than 3000 miles. That said, I completely agree about not blindly trusting the MM, especially if you use an oil that is either better or worse than Honda's recommendation given their system is premised on the use of that oil. If someone puts synthetic into their car, the MM system won't know it and will short change the actual useful life of that oil, and vice versa if one were to use an oil inferior to Honda oil (a cheapie store brand). However my guess would be if you use Honda oil or equivalent (Mobil 5000 5W-20), that the MM system probably has a pretty good idea of expected oil life. I'm sure Honda's done used oil testing on Honda oil under both light and harsh conditions, so they aren't just making a wild guess about oil life. Further, modern cars have all kinds of hooks into the engine and how it is being operated, they also monitor oil temperature, so they can factor all these things into their oil life calculation. So I doubt anyone using the MM system will be endangering their car in the least, as long as the system is working properly. However I'd still like Honda to have been a little more verbose in the owners manual about what people ought to expect from the MM system so at least they would know if it's working as expected.
The first two thousand mile oil was Kendal in the '40s(two fingers in it's logo). My, look how far we have come, we can now go a whole 3,000 miles between changes. No harm in early changes but we have Jiffy Lube et.al. to thank for this foolishness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaks2k View Post
I have used the s2000 filter on my accord's (6th and 7th gen) for years. I would ASSume the filter is the same for 8th and 9th gens since the block should be the same.

Hmmm, I like that. Fatter and taller. We'll see. I siuspect that if anything goes wrong with the engine that can be blamed on oil in any way, HMC will not honor the warranty.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #51 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
Hmmm, I like that. Fatter and taller. We'll see. I siuspect that if anything goes wrong with the engine that can be blamed on oil in any way, HMC will not honor the warranty.
As stated I used the s2k filter on my 6th gen. I put 80k miles on it using s2k filters, did multiple oil analyses, and never had an issue. At 200k miles I had one done and blackstone labs was surprised when I told them the car had 200k on it.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #52 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 02:20 PM
2nd Gear

Guys, lets not get carried away here, it's a Honda, the motor barely wears according to the many many UOA I've seen at bitog.

I used to change the oil filter every 15000 miles or so on my '07 TSX, and UOA says my engine wears nicely. And I'm not even using Honda filters...I use pureone filters.
post #53 of 1001 Old 11-22-2012, 04:06 PM

i check my dip stick, not the oil life gauge. change it if its too dirty
post #54 of 1001 Old 11-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daythread831 View Post
i check my dip stick, not the oil life gauge. change it if its too dirty
do some reading, you can't tell by looking at a dipstick...

My DD:'16 Camaro
post #55 of 1001 Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeySoft View Post
Because he is advising others to do the same. He can do what he wants but should not advise others to not follow the Owners Manual.
If have indeed said this please show me where as I don't believe I have.I was actually quoting from the 2005 online service manual and left the link and pg numbers.Feel free to go back to 4th pg on this thread and look.It would appear there is a difference in the manuals themselves from what you say.Did you look at the link?

From the online 2005 Accord owners manual pages 199 for severe duty applications and 202 for the the tables.For the v6 under severe duty the oil change interval is 3075 miles the I4 is 5000.As you can see there are stipulations with regards to the MM where engine oil is concerned Here is the link.
post #56 of 1001 Old 11-22-2012, 06:37 PM
My First Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by markayash View Post
I can't find it anywhere in the manual or online..It just says when the reminder comes on change it.
It should be every 3,000 miles or every 3 month's
post #57 of 1001 Old 11-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by morenice View Post
It should be every 3,000 miles or every 3 month's

for other readers: this is totally wrong information - see your owner's manual....

this is your first post - not sure of your intentions - more of these and you'll have a problem here.....

post #58 of 1001 Old 11-23-2012, 04:58 AM
Honda Nation

I think we can all agree that changing your oil at intervals LESS than the recommended intervals by Honda is in no way a bad thing, but waiting to change them AT the intervals recommended by Honda is also not a bad thing. Your engine will most likely run fine for 200k miles, just like most Honda engines, if you simply follow the MM.

Also, oil color is NOT an indication of how dirty it is. When you change your oil, it will be black after about a thousand miles of driving.

May 2009 - Present: 2009 Accord V6 6 MT coupe w/o nav, Alabaster Silver

Dec. 1999 - May 2010: 2000 Prelude 5 MT, sold with 220,000 miles and still running great - gone, but not forgotten
post #59 of 1001 Old 11-23-2012, 05:20 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I think we can all agree that changing your oil at intervals LESS than the recommended intervals by Honda is in no way a bad thing, but waiting to change them AT the intervals recommended by Honda is also not a bad thing. Your engine will most likely run fine for 200k miles, just like most Honda engines, if you simply follow the MM.

Also, oil color is NOT an indication of how dirty it is. When you change your oil, it will be black after about a thousand miles of driving.
Amen - changing oil is one thing the home hobbyist can do so it gets a lot of attention. Your dad showed you how to do it, (or talked about it) and it carries all sorts of stereotypes. And technology has changed. When I was a factory rep for BMW, I saw an M3 where the guy had not changed oil in 16000 miles - and the engine checked out perfect - every spec was within tolerance. This is the M3 valve cover where the oil had turned to Jello but was still working:

The MM is a "recorder", nothing more - it keeps track of how and how much you drive; and the book says change 15%. If you want to do it by MM, fine, if you want to change earlier, fine...and actually with today's oils, if you want to abuse it, you'll probably be fine too....The key is pick an interval you like under 7000 or so, and use good stuff when you change...

and if you are really OCD about this stuff, don't "look" at your oil - Google Blackstone labs and send it out.

post #60 of 1001 Old 11-23-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2005 View Post
If have indeed said this please show me where as I don't believe I have. ...
Matt,

This thread is "When to change engine oil" in the 9th Generation forum, presently meaning the 2013 Accord.

Your reply here advised not to follow the MM according to the manual and stated "If its my car I change the oil at 3000 miles."

You said nothing about a 2005 Accord until a later post which is irrelevant to the OP question. This thread is about the 2013 Accord, not a 2005 Accord.

My Previous new Accords:

My YouTube
Channel.

Advertisement

Tags
indicator, maintenance minder, oil change, oil life, read the owners manual, rtfm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.