When to change oil? 5000 miles, 15%, 5%, 1 year, follow sticker, when? Help! ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ - Page 3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
147Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average. Display Modes
post #31 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeySoft View Post
Opec loves people who do this.

PS
My 2003 Accord has over 142,000 miles on it and I changed the oil at 7,500 miles or longer. It never had an engine problem and was still getting 37 mpg on the highway.
Sorry but these are a both very well known and proven facts.145000 miles on a Honda is nothing and oil change interval within reason has very little to do with MPG so what exactly is your point?.Like I said it additive packages and duty cycles are always going to be the different.There are very few oil brands that are proven to stay in viscosity at 7000 miles amsoil synthetic is one.Ever wonder why the state website specifies getting an oil change as helpful before taking the mandatory etest?Do you run Honda oil?Do you run no name oil?.Do you use you car for short trips?Do you drive in dusty conditions?Many people do.Tearing down a motor at 300000 is very telling.Extreme environmentalist love people like you.Read you Honda manual I believe it will list exceptions and require Honda oil in the Maint minder section.Point being don't treat the little light as the oil god

PS Thermal break down lowers viscosity and will in fact slightly raise mileage while lowering acid and suspension protection.Or was that your point?

Advertisement

post #32 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansWEE View Post
just love this post!

anyhoot, is the MM really intelligent? I mean, you go to LUBEshop, or any stop and go shop, and they didn't change the oil OR the filter? but they reset the MM..

will the MM know that the oil is dirty? just curious
The MM doesn't "see" the oil, it only responds to various operating conditions to calculate the maintenance intervals. Resetting just makes it start over.

2016 LX cvt Lunar Silver/black interior. I want to die quietly in my sleep, like Grandpa did. Not screaming like the people in his car...
post #33 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2005 View Post
There are very few oil brands that are proven to stay in viscosity at 7000 miles amsoil synthetic is one.
At 6502 miles the viscosity of the mobil 5000 5w-20 oil I used was well within limits. And it only costs $14 for a 5qt jug.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M

post #34 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Honda Nation

Quote:
Sorry but these are a both very well known and proven facts.145000 miles on a Honda is nothing and oil change interval within reason has very little to do with MPG so what exactly is your point?.Like I said it additive packages and duty cycles are always going to be the different.There are very few oil brands that are proven to stay in viscosity at 7000 miles amsoil synthetic is one.Ever wonder why the state website specifies getting an oil change as helpful before taking the mandatory etest?Do you run Honda oil?Do you run no name oil?.Do you use you car for short trips?Do you drive in dusty conditions?Many people do.Tearing down a motor at 300000 is very telling.Extreme environmentalist love people like you.Read you Honda manual I believe it will list exceptions and require Honda oil in the Maint minder section.Point being don't treat the little light as the oil god

PS Thermal break down lowers viscosity and will in fact slightly raise mileage while lowering acid and suspension protection.Or was that your point?
Using regular dino oil changed at MMI intervals of roughly 7500, my Prelude went over 220,000 when I sold it. I did not baby it. When I serviced the timing belt and valve adjustment, I've had the valve cover off so I could get a pretty darn good idea of how clean my engines were. I also had a cold air intake and K&N air filter on both as well.

The H22a was clean and showed no signs of any imminent sludge buildup at 190k when I did the second belt/valve adjustment service.

Fact is, due to the much tighter tolerances of modern engines and the better quality of motor oil, the 3000 mile service interval is completely outdated and rubbish. You can change your oil every day if you want, I really don't care.

But it's a waste of money to change it more often than the MMI says, and that's something that environmentalists and those of us who don't give a flip can both agree on. If it's not needed why do it? Even my Mom's 2007 Buick Lucerne, with the most outdated 3.8 liter pushrod V6, whose block blueprints date back to about 1962, goes 6-7000 miles on oil change intervals.

Think about this, also: The MM indicates when you need the car serviced, and most people bring it to the dealer..... if it was so important to change your oil at 3000 miles today, they'd program these things to be flashing all sorts of lights, bells, and whistles every 3000 miles!
Izzle22 likes this.

May 2009 - Present: 2009 Accord V6 6 MT coupe w/o nav, Alabaster Silver

Dec. 1999 - May 2010: 2000 Prelude 5 MT, sold with 220,000 miles and still running great - gone, but not forgotten
post #35 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM
No lifetime fluids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Even my Mom's 2007 Buick Lucerne, with the most outdated 3.8 liter pushrod V6, whose block blueprints date back to about 1962, goes 6-7000 miles on oil change intervals.
Good old 3800. Absolutely love those motors. So many don't even see 6-7k oil changes and get an OC when some noise appears. Many don't get the maintenance they should but keep on a ticking.

'09 LX 5MT Sedan - ASM/BLK
V1, OEM splash guards, leather wheel,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #36 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
Good old 3800. Absolutely love those motors. So many don't even see 6-7k oil changes and get an OC when some noise appears. Many don't get the maintenance they should but keep on a ticking.
A bit off topic, but IIRC the 3800 is/was one of the "best" engines ever built. It's damn near bullet proof.

post #37 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 04:41 AM
3rd Gear

Sodaks2k,Mobile 1 is actually one of the best oil on the market.All im saying is that not all oil or duty cycles are the same.Therefore you can't take the maintenance minder at face value.As im sure you know sever duty can be as simple as short 15 minute commutes.Typically you have to run a motor under load for 15 minutes to fully removed condensation from the oil once it reaches operating temperature.This is why the most mechanics still change their own conventional oil around 3000 miles and error heavily on the safe side with customers cars since they don't know how they drive.The maintenance minder being triggered by mileage alone doesn't take duty cycle or oil brand and type into account.Most mechanics will tell you to spend the $30 every 3000 miles with convectional oil on your $30000 investment.I guess I have to agree to disagree on the subject but it is still the standard in the industry to this day and not a waste of money by a long shot on millions of cars.From the online 2005 Accord owners manual page 202 for the v6 under severe duty the oil change interval is 3075 miles the I4 is 5000.At What mileage does light activate 7500 miles?You can barley get the average driver to check the level once between service.
post #38 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 AM
No Gears, Got CVT :)

Quote:
what exactly is your point?
My point is I disagree with your recommendation to disregard the owner's manual and change the oil every 3k miles.

PS
I also disagree with your statement that the maintenance minder is triggered by mileage alone and does not take duty cycle into account.
This thread is about the 2013 Accord, not a 2005 Accord.

2013 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl CVT.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Previous new Accords:
1977 Accord Hatchback 2Dr CVCC 4Cyl MT
1986 Accord LX-i 2Dr 4Cyl MT
1994 Accord LX 2Dr 4Cyl MT
2003 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl MT

My YouTube
Channel.

Last edited by MikeySoft; 11-20-2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Added PS
post #39 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Sodaks2k,Mobile 1 is actually one of the best oil on the market.
It's not mobil 1, it's mobil super 5000. It is not a synthetic oil.

post #40 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Crosseyed and Gearless

Quote:
Sodaks2k,Mobile 1 is actually one of the best oil on the market.All im saying is that not all oil or duty cycles are the same.Therefore you can't take the maintenance minder at face value.As im sure you know sever duty can be as simple as short 15 minute commutes.Typically you have to run a motor under load for 15 minutes to fully removed condensation from the oil once it reaches operating temperature.This is why the most mechanics still change their own conventional oil around 3000 miles and error heavily on the safe side with customers cars since they don't know how they drive.The maintenance minder being triggered by mileage alone doesn't take duty cycle or oil brand and type into account.Most mechanics will tell you to spend the $30 every 3000 miles with convectional oil on your $30000 investment.I guess I have to agree to disagree on the subject but it is still the standard in the industry to this day and not a waste of money by a long shot on millions of cars.From the online 2005 Accord owners manual page 202 for the v6 under severe duty the oil change interval is 3075 miles the I4 is 5000.At What mileage does light activate 7500 miles?You can barley get the average driver to check the level once between service.
The problem is the 3000 mile "rule" was developed 30 years ago when engine and oil technology were primitive compared to today. Think of it this way, if we had the same engine and oil technology that we have today 30 years ago when the "rule" was being developed, the recommended OCI would certainly have been higher than 3000 miles. That said, I completely agree about not blindly trusting the MM, especially if you use an oil that is either better or worse than Honda's recommendation given their system is premised on the use of that oil. If someone puts synthetic into their car, the MM system won't know it and will short change the actual useful life of that oil, and vice versa if one were to use an oil inferior to Honda oil (a cheapie store brand). However my guess would be if you use Honda oil or equivalent (Mobil 5000 5W-20), that the MM system probably has a pretty good idea of expected oil life. I'm sure Honda's done used oil testing on Honda oil under both light and harsh conditions, so they aren't just making a wild guess about oil life. Further, modern cars have all kinds of hooks into the engine and how it is being operated, they also monitor oil temperature, so they can factor all these things into their oil life calculation. So I doubt anyone using the MM system will be endangering their car in the least, as long as the system is working properly. However I'd still like Honda to have been a little more verbose in the owners manual about what people ought to expect from the MM system so at least they would know if it's working as expected.
post #41 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM
'13 Accord Sport

I don't get why people want to convince someone to not do oil changes every 3000 miles. Who cares what they do? It's hard to argue against the wear of on engine that has it's oil changed every 3000 miles. Is it excessive? Probably, due to updated engine tech, but is it bad for the car? No, unless it's changed prematurely during break in. 3k changes are a bit low for my taste. 5k miles is fine for me, plus or minus convenience or trips that come up around that 5k mark.
Henry2024 likes this.
post #42 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
I don't get why people want to convince someone to not do oil changes every 3000 miles. Who cares what they do? It's hard to argue against the wear of on engine that has it's oil changed every 3000 miles. Is it excessive? Probably, due to updated engine tech, but is it bad for the car? No, unless it's changed prematurely during break in. 3k changes are a bit low for my taste. 5k miles is fine for me, plus or minus convenience or trips that come up around that 5k mark.

Very true, if a person is OCD, so be it, more maint is better than less and the person feels better to boot!
Henry2024 likes this.

My DD:'16 Camaro
post #43 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 10:09 AM
3rd Gear

nvmd
post #44 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Out of Control

I'll agree that the GM 3800 is a superb engine that could do 32 MPG.

I have had several Hondas and the MM is simply an odometer minder and not an oil monitor like BMW and MB claim that allow 15-18K intervals.

I find it interesting that there is no discussion on the tiny lawnmower sized oil filter that Honda uses. I tried to oversive on my MDX/Odys but there is a subfrane blocking that. I was able to oversize on my 300C which went from medium to large (length). The new 4cyl Accord may be amenable to upsizing.

When a filter is full of dirt, it goes into "bypass mode" and there is NO filtration. Smaller filters fill up faster-din't know if tiny Honda filters fill up or if there is plenty of reserve.

I also use a filter magnet on all cars with a spin on filter. It holds meal powder that might otherwise pass through. A srrong magnet on the drain bolt (won't work if you use a Fumoto drain valve like me) also keeps metal out of circulation (this oil btw is already filtered.
Here is my on the filtermag from the 300C forum

and my drain bolt study. NOTE THE SHARD STICKING UP. THIS IS FILTERED OIL

NOTE THE METAL DUST FROM FILTERED OIL ON THE BOUNTY. SHARD TO SCALE

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #45 of 1001 Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
I find it interesting that there is no discussion on the tiny lawnmower sized oil filter that Honda uses. I tried to oversive on my MDX/Odys but there is a subfrane blocking that. I was able to oversize on my 300C which went from medium to large (length). The new 4cyl Accord may be amenable to upsizing. [/IMG]
I have used the s2000 filter on my accord's (6th and 7th gen) for years. I would ASSume the filter is the same for 8th and 9th gens since the block should be the same.

Advertisement

Tags
indicator, maintenance minder, oil change, oil life, read the owners manual, rtfm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.