When to change oil? 5000 miles, 15%, 5%, 1 year, follow sticker, when? Help! ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
147Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average. Display Modes
post #16 of 1001 Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by markayash View Post
I won't dare ask whats the best oil
LOL - the best oil is the one that meets the specs of the manual and is on sale at your local auto parts store. You can way overthink this - go to bobistheoilguy.com if you want to see overthinking and "discussion" by "experts"

guys, this is a Honda commuter engine that is very low stressed...and made for Joe average - not a Honda F1 or Hendrick Racing engine. Use a good oil, change the oil when it tells you to or time wise every 9 months or so and a good filter...

and go have fun thinking about something else. I frankly am not trying to get into the Guinness book of records for how long my engine lasts, the above regimen will get you many more miles that you will have the car....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'16 Camaro
Advertisement

post #17 of 1001 Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM
No lifetime fluids!

oil change? i thought hondas ran on hopes and dreams???

'09 LX 5MT Sedan - ASM/BLK
V1, OEM splash guards, leather wheel,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #18 of 1001 Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 PM
3rd Gear

I just retired from the auto service bizz and have a few thoughts on the oil subject. Every car, truck and motorcycle forum I've ever joined has endless discussions on oil and oil changes. Between engine lubrication not being well understood and the "mouse milk" marketing of oils and additives, it's no wonder there's such differences in opinions. Plus, there is a huge body of folk wisdom, old wives tales and plain mis-information to further fog things.

Here is my advice. On a Honda, with anything close to normal use, the MMI will give you a reasonable change interval. Use the recommended viscosity and service classification oil and any good filter. That's it.

Lubrication failures are pretty rare in the last few decades unless the oil leaks out or gets way too low from normal consumption and/or extremely long change intervals. Honda engines stay amazingly clean inside even with infrequent changes.

With these long change intervals though, be sure to check the oil level every so often. An engine that uses a quart every 3,000 miles will be almost 3 quarts low after 8,000 miles. That level of consumption is not that uncommon these days. Friction reducing low tension piston rings are commonly used today for better fuel economy and can allow higher oil use.

Another reason to avoid too frequent oil changes is the risk of having some cretin who shouldn't be allowed to work on a wheelbarrow doing a vital service on your pride and joy.

Now that I'm retired, I plan to use the MMI for most maintenance. I can't lift a car at the condo so I'll use a good independent shop I know about and bring my own oil and filter. The old grey headed guy who does lube and basic service there is meticulous and happy in his work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robert4 For This Useful Post:
curmudgeon24 (03-02-2016), hawk51 (01-07-2018)

post #19 of 1001 Old 11-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert4 View Post
I just retired from the auto service bizz and have a few thoughts on the oil subject. Every car, truck and motorcycle forum I've ever joined has endless discussions on oil and oil changes. Between engine lubrication not being well understood and the "mouse milk" marketing of oils and additives, it's no wonder there's such differences in opinions. Plus, there is a huge body of folk wisdom, old wives tales and plain mis-information to further fog things.

Here is my advice. On a Honda, with anything close to normal use, the MMI will give you a reasonable change interval. Use the recommended viscosity and service classification oil and any good filter. That's it.

Lubrication failures are pretty rare in the last few decades unless the oil leaks out or gets way too low from normal consumption and/or extremely long change intervals. Honda engines stay amazingly clean inside even with infrequent changes.

With these long change intervals though, be sure to check the oil level every so often. An engine that uses a quart every 3,000 miles will be almost 3 quarts low after 8,000 miles. That level of consumption is not that uncommon these days. Friction reducing low tension piston rings are commonly used today for better fuel economy and can allow higher oil use.

Another reason to avoid too frequent oil changes is the risk of having some cretin who shouldn't be allowed to work on a wheelbarrow doing a vital service on your pride and joy.

Now that I'm retired, I plan to use the MMI for most maintenance. I can't lift a car at the condo so I'll use a good independent shop I know about and bring my own oil and filter. The old grey headed guy who does lube and basic service there is meticulous and happy in his work.
great post sir, a sane voice among the roar of the (enthusiast) crowd....
Henry2024 likes this.

post #20 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 05:47 AM
2nd Gear

Anything Special in "Break-in Oil"?

Is there something special in the oil that comes in the new '13, such as moly? Is there any reason to leave it in longer than 3-4K miles?

I've always done short oil changes on new vehicles just to get rid of possible contaminents in the new motor, and then gone to longer periods between changes based on oil analysis reports.
post #21 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 AM
2013 Sedan Sport

okay gang, not sure how much the R18 engine in my 2012 civic HF differs form the K24W1 in the accord sport, but...

when i brought in my civic for an oil change (which directly lead to the purchase/trade up to the accord) the maintenance guy asked if i was at 15% or less. i said honestly i didnt check, but the car has about 5k on it, and i bought it 7 months ago. isnt it about due? he said no. it does have break-in additives and changing it too soon would harm the proccess.
he told me to get on it harder!
but... but i already do!
its moot now since the civic is gone (yes, before its first oil change!) but i will keep this in mind for the accord.
also on the point of break-in, i was told by a tech on the civic forums its fine to nail it, just let it rev down as much as possible in gear. this helps evenly bore the rings/walls together for a good seal.
like say you stomp on it to third. let off but leave it in third and let the revs come down in gear.
its tricky for an auto, but in the sport, its easy in "sport" mode. same with manual, obviously.

just a tip since we are discussing oil with additives for break-in.
post #22 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
Is there something special in the oil that comes in the new '13, such as moly? Is there any reason to leave it in longer than 3-4K miles?

I've always done short oil changes on new vehicles just to get rid of possible contaminents in the new motor, and then gone to longer periods between changes based on oil analysis reports.

Yes and I never havethe patience to leave it in until 15pct...but i try....do a search on 8th gen....it's a bunch of additives that help it break in.

That being said I don't believe these motors are made of papier-mâché and that you have to abide by keeping it in the car. I believe if you do change at 5000 miles or 4000 miles or whenever you felt was right, you're fine.

the thing with oil changes is that you do it regularly and you do it with good stuff. It's that simple....

post #23 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 AM
2013 Sedan Sport

but they pretty much turned me away when i showed up with my civic at 50% and 4,800 miles.
post #24 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Invest in oil changing and wheel tools....and you can pretty much stay dealer free. Harbor freight is the key:
Jack stands 2x$20
Floor jack-65
Impact gun...65

I also love a dipstick pump to eliminate mess...3 friends and I bought and split...same for impact gun....

All you need for oil changes, tire rotations...all the stuff a dealer rapes you for....
eiching1 likes this.

post #25 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Looking to buy an Accord

I changed the oil in my 2012 CR-V when it got to 15% a few months ago. I believe it had 6500 miles on it at the time. The second change I did when it was at 20% (12,000 miles) with the third I just did when it was at 40% after 6,000 miles. The oil was nasty, so I decided to disregard the MM for now and change every 5,000. The car uses about 1/2 to 1 quart every change as well. No big deal, just add and keep going. It has 18,000 miles

1989 Honda Accord DX- sold in 2004 w/200K
post #26 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 PM
3rd Gear

Exclamation

Don't fall for it!
The maintenance minder is there for people who can't remember to change their oil and sheep.You may also notice that the reminder lights up at an extended change interval saving countless barrels of oil though the life expectancy of millions of vehicles and not necessarily ideal for the motor.Oil lasts forever it's the additive package that controls acids and suspension that deteriorates,no two products are the SAME and neither are the duty cycles.I would trust an on board oil analyzer even less.If its my car I change the oil at 3000 miles.My father was an engineer and so am I.What we have here is a balance between agendas at the executive level.
post #27 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_CAR View Post
with the third I just did when it was at 40% after 6,000 miles. The oil was nasty, so I decided to disregard the MM for now and change every .
If you really want to know the condition of your oil have it tested by these guys.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #28 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 02:09 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
If your oil level is down, don't top it off. This causes a prolonged oil life, which means you will be using contaminated oil in your engine for longer times.
How did you come up with this??
post #29 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 PM
No Gears, Got CVT :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2005 View Post
Don't fall for it!
The maintenance minder is there for people who can't remember to change their oil and sheep.You may also notice that the reminder lights up at an extended change interval saving countless barrels of oil though the life expectancy of millions of vehicles and not necessarily ideal for the motor.Oil lasts forever it's the additive package that controls acids and suspension that deteriorates,no two products are the SAME and neither are the duty cycles.I would trust an on board oil analyzer even less.If its my car I change the oil at 3000 miles.My father was an engineer and so am I.What we have here is a balance between agendas at the executive level.
Opec loves people who do this.

PS
My 2003 Accord has over 142,000 miles on it and I changed the oil at 7,500 miles or longer. It never had an engine problem and was still getting 37 mpg on the highway.
Izzle22 and PearlyV6 like this.

2013 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl CVT.

My Previous new Accords:
1977 Accord Hatchback 2Dr CVCC 4Cyl MT
1986 Accord LX-i 2Dr 4Cyl MT
1994 Accord LX 2Dr 4Cyl MT
2003 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl MT

My YouTube
Channel.

Last edited by MikeySoft; 11-19-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added PS
post #30 of 1001 Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
loving the V6 growl :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert4 View Post

just love this post!

anyhoot, is the MM really intelligent? I mean, you go to LUBEshop, or any stop and go shop, and they didn't change the oil OR the filter? but they reset the MM..

will the MM know that the oil is dirty? just curious

15 mos. of total happiness with Accord V6 :)
Advertisement

Tags
indicator, maintenance minder, oil change, oil life, read the owners manual, rtfm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.