9th Gen Accord HondaCare Extended Warranty Discussion - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
25Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 385 Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
No Gears, Got CVT :)

9th Gen Accord HondaCare Extended Warranty Discussion

The dealer offered me Honda's Extended Warrantee (HondaCare) on my 2013 Accord 4Cly 4Dr EX-L with Navi. I do not have to decide until I pick up the car. (about 2 weeks as the car is in transit from Honda)

The extended Warrantee is for total 80k miles or 7 years. They said MSRP is $2,330 but they will take $1000 off so It will be $1330. This will be my fifth Accord since my first one in 1977. I own my Accords over 8 years each. My 2003 Accord has 142K miles. The only things I ever needed for repair on any of my Accords were breaks, tires, mufflers, and battery which are not covered.

I'm a little concern about the new CVT but I also like to be self insured.

Any comment or suggestions?

2013 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl CVT.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Previous new Accords:
1977 Accord Hatchback 2Dr CVCC 4Cyl MT
1986 Accord LX-i 2Dr 4Cyl MT
1994 Accord LX 2Dr 4Cyl MT
2003 Accord EX-L w/Nav 4Dr 4Cyl MT

My YouTube
Channel.

Advertisement

post #2 of 385 Old 10-01-2012, 04:52 PM

$0 deductible or $100 deductible?

I bet I could save you about $500 for $0 deductible or about $600 for $100 deductible 7 year/80K plan.

quote from curryhondacare dot com

post #3 of 385 Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeySoft View Post
The dealer offered me Honda's Extended Warrantee on my 2013 Accord 4Cly 4Dr EX-L with Navi. I do not have to decide until I pick up the car. (about 2 weeks as the car is in transit from Honda)

The extended Warrantee is for total 80k miles or 7 years. They said MSRP is $2,330 but they will take $1000 off so It will be $1330. This will be my fifth Accord since my first one in 1977. I own my Accords over 8 years each. My 2003 Accord has 142K miles. The only things I ever needed for repair on any of my Accords were breaks, tires, mufflers, and battery which are not covered.

I got the same car, and I paid $1260 for 800k 7 years. also $478 for 2 years
30k miles service free of charge

post #4 of 385 Old 10-01-2012, 05:01 PM
2016 Accord EX CVT in WOP

Quote:
The dealer offered me Honda's Extended Warrantee on my 2013 Accord 4Cly 4Dr EX-L with Navi. I do not have to decide until I pick up the car. (about 2 weeks as the car is in transit from Honda)

Like you I think the CVT is going to work well, but just in case I'm getting an extended too.

Here's what I did last time when I got my 2008, which saved me about $1000. I got a quote from a Honda dealer in another state that sells genuine Honda warranties at discounted prices. You have to fill in some stuff and get an email quote from them, but there's no obligation. I then took a printout of that quote to my local dealer. It was for an 8 year 120k 0 deductible plan for about $1100 iirc. My local dealer whined for quite a while about how that price barely left them any profit. But there still was some profit, and so when I politely said I'd buy it from that other dealer they matched the price. Here are two Honda dealers that sell a lot of discounted but genuine Honda plans. Hope it works!

2013 EXL Navi Sedan red
post #5 of 385 Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM
4th Gear

These Honda warranties aren't an extension of the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranties, are they?
post #6 of 385 Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 PM

No. Your warranty coverage will be whatever the coverage is stated for. In the case of the OP, new warranty will be 7 yrs/80K instead of 3 yr/36K

It's not

3 yrs/36K
+ 7 yrs/80K
post #7 of 385 Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

Where I work we have lifetime powertrain warranty good nationwide, 1st yr maintenance free. Search around your area see if a dealer offers something like that. Then just buy extended bumper.
The Following User Says Thank You to kookal For This Useful Post:
kaplanfx (01-16-2017)
post #8 of 385 Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookal View Post
Where I work we have lifetime powertrain warranty good nationwide, 1st yr maintenance free. Search around your area see if a dealer offers something like that. Then just buy extended bumper.
Based on my experience with our 2003 Accord, the power train will be the last thing to fail. Actually we haven't had any major repairs. Just brakes and a problem with the centre console storage coverage. Just 55,000 miles on it over the last 9 years, but it has been trouble free. I'd be interested in extended coverage for the new CVT though and the electronic gadgets. I'll have to check the contract terms.
post #9 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great information. The thread should help many make the decision which may or may not be the same as mine.

I think the main points are:

1. Make sure it is Honda Care (it was) and not some Fly by Night Company.
2. You do not have to get it at time a sale. I believe it is 6 months/6k miles but could be off.
3. It is usually cheaper to get it from a different Honda dealer. was the cheapest of the ones I looked at.

I've a strong believer in being self insured. I get insurance for catastrophic things like health, home, and auto accidents. Auto accident is more that should I get sued up the wazoo then auto body damage.

Being self insured means sometimes I will have to pay but over the long run, I will be well ahead. I was concern about the DI and CVT but the power train warrantee which comes with the car is 5 years/60k miles. I also believe in Honda engineering.

This is my fifth Accord since 1977. I had a hard time thinking of what needed to be repaired outside of normal maintenance. I had to look at my maintenance logs and then remembered having AC problems with the 03. My dad was an airline mechanic and I grew up with him repairing cars. I found the problem myself to a relay which cost $4.25 at Honda parts (9/9/2009). I think even if I took it in for repairs, it should only be a few hundred dollars (I could be off).

Peace of mind means different things to different people. To me it means not spending money for something I did not need or want. I often spent money on things I did not need but wanted.

At this time, I decided not to get Honda Care.

My Previous new Accords:

My YouTube
Channel.

post #10 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 02:03 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
I was concern about the DI and CVT but the power train warrantee which comes with the car is 5 years/60k miles. I also believe in Honda engineering.

I had a hard time thinking of what needed to be repaired outside of normal maintenance. I had to look at my maintenance logs and then remembered having AC problems with the 03.

Everyone's experience is different, I guess. I have two 06's, both backed by Honda Care for their CPO warranty, and I've more than gotten my money out of it. In the one, I had a spark plug blowout, and head repaired and short block replaced. Granted, this is a freak thing, but total cost to me was $400 for the spark plug, coil, and timing belt parts I had them replace. In the other, the Navi screen decided to go within the 1st year. Total cost? $0.

To me, the ~$1k quote from Hyannis to be covered for 8yr/120k is worth it. It works out to what, just over $10/month? I spend more on Netflix for crying out loud. Given all the complex electronics in the car as well as the new DI and CVT, (and I'm buying Honda for my faith in their engineering as well-but they're not perfect) it sounds like a bargain to me not to have to worry about any massive repair bill. Worst case, the plan is transferable, so it increases resale value.

13 i4 CVT Navi MSM/Gray
06 6-6 Navi CBP/Ivory GMSMFM TL-S RSB Coming soon: TL-S FSB
post #11 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by python6mt View Post
Everyone's experience is different, I guess. I have two 06's, both backed by Honda Care for their CPO warranty, and I've more than gotten my money out of it. In the one, I had a spark plug blowout, and head repaired and short block replaced. Granted, this is a freak thing, but total cost to me was $400 for the spark plug, coil, and timing belt parts I had them replace. In the other, the Navi screen decided to go within the 1st year. Total cost? $0.

To me, the ~$1k quote from Hyannis to be covered for 8yr/120k is worth it. It works out to what, just over $10/month? I spend more on Netflix for crying out loud. Given all the complex electronics in the car as well as the new DI and CVT, (and I'm buying Honda for my faith in their engineering as well-but they're not perfect) it sounds like a bargain to me not to have to worry about any massive repair bill. Worst case, the plan is transferable, so it increases resale value.
You left out in your quote of me that it cost me less then $5 for the AC repair of my 03 Accord. That car had over 142K and over 9.5 years. I think it would have cost most people a few hundred dollars or less, maybe a lot less depending on how good and/or honest the service was.

You are not counting the free 36k/3 years general and the free 60k/5 years power train warranties as part of you 120k/8 years Honda Care. The included free warranties time/miles need to be subtracted from Honda Car to compute the time/miles extension you are really paying for.

Your 1 year Navi screen failure was covered by the free 36k/3 years warranty which came with the car. So the money spent on that Honda Care was for nothing. (Unless you ran out of gas or needed a jump start or something like that)

You did not say if the one with the blowout plug was over 60k/5 years covered by Honda's free power train warranty. Maybe you made out by the freak blowout if it happened after that. But this freak thing is very rare.

Anyway, everyone had different luck and experience. The Hyannis Honda Care is a lot cheaper then most dealers and gives the same protection. I understand people buying it.

Slightly off topic:
I always use Pennzoil because I like the oil. I just found out they have a free, for using their oil. Not sure if your blow out plug is covered and it may take more hoops to jump through to collect. Both Pennzoil and Honda Care require proof of all manufacture's maintenance is done. Many people may not have that proof no matter which or both warranties they have. Some dealears may not even ask for the proof.

Pennzoil also has a free, for using Pennzoil Ultra. Pennzoil Ultra does not presently come in 0w-20. I'll upgrade when they do.

My Previous new Accords:

My YouTube
Channel.

post #12 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 05:23 PM
4th Gear

Quote:

From personal experience. I would never buy the extended warranty again. It's waste of money and a way the dealer makes money. If something does happen they will bring out things that are not covered with your warranty and make you pay out if pocket. Stick with your manufacture warranty. I made the mistake if buying honda care never again.

*2009 Honda Accord Ex - Sedan
*Taffeta White
*8000k HID
*PUTCO LED lightning
*Infinity Kappa 692.9i Speakers/4 Channel Amp
*Audio Control LC7i
*JL Audio W6 on the way soon.......

More mods to come when life gets back on track....
post #13 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 05:57 PM
4th Gear

I got the dealership protection package which covers up to 100k / 7 years for $1649 and it covers just about every aspect of the vehicle including the power train. Seeing that I travel a lot on business, I found it was worth the added protection.

Current Car:
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Modern Steel Metallic
Link:

Previous Cars:
2012 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Alabaster Silver Metallic
1998 Honda Civic LX
1997 Mistubishi Galant ES
1989 Ford Mustang
post #14 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Continuously Varying

Quote:

As you may know, you can purchase the Honda Care as long as the original bumper to bumper is in effect. I usually don't buy extended warranties on cars, but may on this one in a year or two. I want to get a feel of how the CVT, Direct Injection, and Electronics hold up.

------
2013 Honda Accord EX-L I4 CVT MSM/Grey
post #15 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
You are not counting the free 36k/3 years general and the free 60k/5 years power train warranties as part of you 120k/8 years Honda Care. The included free warranties time/miles need to be subtracted from Honda Car to compute the time/miles extension you are really paying for.
Fair point. So, it's a 5-year, 84k extension, or $16/month. Or, you make it back on any component failure. We agree, though, everyone's experience is different. So far, mine has shown it to be worth it. On top of that, I value a fixed cost at a known time over the opposite; it sounds like you can afford (or otherwise prefer) the opposite.

Quote:
Your 1 year Navi screen failure was covered by the free 36k/3 years warranty which came with the car. So the money spent on that Honda Care was for nothing. (Unless you ran out of gas or needed a jump start or something like that)

You did not say if the one with the blowout plug was over 60k/5 years covered by Honda's free power train warranty. Maybe you made out by the freak blowout if it happened after that. But this freak thing is very rare.
Both cars were bought CPO, so no initial "free" warranty, but neither issue would have occurred under factory warranty. Navi was 5yr/70k, plug was 6yr/73k. The only added "cost" was buying certified from dealer, but I got screaming deals on them, which was again, worth it to me.

Quote:
Slightly off topic:
I always use Pennzoil because I like the oil. I just found out they have a free, for using their oil. Not sure if your blow out plug is covered and it may take more hoops to jump through to collect. Both Pennzoil and Honda Care require proof of all manufacture's maintenance is done. Many people may not have that proof no matter which or both warranties they have. Some dealears may not even ask for the proof.
I use and like PZ Platinum, but a quick check of the T&C:

Quote:
What Engine Parts Are Covered (Listed Engine Parts):
Pistons & Piston Rings
Oil Pump & Timing Chains
Crankshaft and Bearings
Rocker Arms and Pivots
Rods
Rod Bearings
Push Rods
Cam Shaft and Bearings
Valve Stems and Guides
Wrist Pins and Bushings
Turbo Bearings
Valve Lifter
Cylinder Lining or Bore
Distributor Drive Gear
Timing Gears or Sprockets
Maybe they would have helped out with the short block, but my guess is that since it started with the spark plug, they'd back out. Regardless:

Quote:
ANY CLAIM IS LIMITED TO $5,000.00, OR THE ACTUAL CASH VALUE OF THE ELIGIBLE VEHICLE, WHICHEVER IS LESS.YOUR REIMBURSEMENT UNDER THIS PROGRAM WILL NEVER BE MORE THAN QUALIFIED REPAIR EXPENSES. YOU MAY ONLY HAVE ONE (1) CLAIM PER ELIGIBLE VEHICLE UNDER THE PENNZOIL LUBRICATION LIMITED WARRANTY.
They ripped the head off twice and replaced the short block. I don't know the total retail cost, but I bet flirting with that 5k line would have been mighty easy.

13 i4 CVT Navi MSM/Gray
06 6-6 Navi CBP/Ivory GMSMFM TL-S RSB Coming soon: TL-S FSB
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.