looking at an Accord - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

looking at an Accord

Hey folks i'm in the market for a 2013-16 Accord. The last accord i had was a 1991 and i scrapped it after the clutch went bad with over 300,000 miles. I'm having a hard time finding a used Accord in my area with a manual trans, So this leaves me with the CVT. I am not one to just jump into a car with out doing research. I'm considering the Accord, Camry, and Altima. (heavily leaning towards the Accord) The Altima is really out of the picture do to the many CVT trans. problems they have. Witch brings me to the Accord's CVT. I guess i'm wondering how are they? All the researched complaints i find are more performance related. (not sporty enough) Haven't really found any thing on reliability issues. What do you guys think? I'm looking for the basic Accord sedan for everyday driving, and reliability. So any non bias opinions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Joe.

Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-08-2018, 06:49 PM
BRWNFLSH now

The CVT in my 16 is better than the harsh automatics in the first two Accords (92,03) IMO. If you enjoy accelerating quick from stop signs and red lights, it may not be for you. It does just fine passing slower cars, once the wheels are rolling.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #3 of 22 Old 02-08-2018, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

I just got my 2015 Sport a few weeks ago.
Almost every rig I have owned has been a manual and I always look for one when getting a new rig.
I was looking pretty hard at a V6 MT but went with the i4 CVT after thinking about mileage and my commute is 50 miles a day all city stop and go.
I knew what a CVT was somewhat and researched the crap out of Honda's as I have never owned one.
I was looking at Camery's as well but after test driving the Sport I got it instead. Ending decades of driving a Toyota.

The Accord is the first CVT car I've driven and my first impression on the test drive was WTF is that and is it broken.
I thought the tranny was slipping and was put off by it at first.
You have to kinda roll into it, then it's like one long gear. Which felt odd to me at first.

As long as I'm not trying to boil the tires off from a red light I can make it get up and go pretty quick.
It's no slouch that's for sure. Although I've been driving my 91 Land Cruiser so pretty much anything would feel like a rocket.

I've not messed around much with it in S but do use the paddles.
I do find those pretty nifty to have.
All in all I'm pleased with it and don't regret getting the 6x6

I seen when I was looking at CVT failures, that most stemmed from Nissan. But it seemed that it lumped all CVT's as being garbage.
It's been out for a bit and from searching around I haven't seen Honda's having issues with them the way Nissan has.
I'll take it in for regular servicing and if it takes a crap then it's a good thing I opted for the 7/100,000 warranty.
Until then I'm not going to sweat it and just enjoy driving it.

post #4 of 22 Old 02-08-2018, 09:43 PM
6th Gear

We cross shopped the altima too. At the time (2015) it did have more electronic features than the accord. Major turns off included numerous reports of cvt failure. Also, the car felt sloppy/unplanted on turns with way too much body roll. It's been too long to remember what its cvt felt like. Should stop in by a nissan dealer to test one out see if they've improved it any.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #5 of 22 Old 02-09-2018, 03:53 AM
5th Gear

Have the '14 with CVT. I actually prefer it in stop-and-go traffic, as the CVT helps to slow the car much like a manual transmission...so, I can move along slowly without having to keep putting on the brakes. Same as when slowing down for a stop...although it doesn't "engine brake" as much as a true manual, it does slow down more than most automatic transmissions. As someone said, if you want to snap your neck with off-the-line acceleration, the CVT is NOT for you. Otherwise, it's nice to get good fuel economy not only around town, but, over 40 mpg on the highway if I keep it not much over 70 mph.

"Synthetic" is not a literal definition of a laboratory-created base lubricant, it has been a marketing term since the Castrol Mobil-1 lawsuit in the 1990's.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-09-2018, 08:16 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by f250 View Post
Hey folks i'm in the market for a 2013-16 Accord. The last accord i had was a 1991 and i scrapped it after the clutch went bad with over 300,000 miles. I'm having a hard time finding a used Accord in my area with a manual trans, So this leaves me with the CVT. I am not one to just jump into a car with out doing research. I'm considering the Accord, Camry, and Altima. (heavily leaning towards the Accord) The Altima is really out of the picture do to the many CVT trans. problems they have. Witch brings me to the Accord's CVT. I guess i'm wondering how are they? All the researched complaints i find are more performance related. (not sporty enough) Haven't really found any thing on reliability issues. What do you guys think? I'm looking for the basic Accord sedan for everyday driving, and reliability. So any non bias opinions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Joe.
Where are you located?
desertrat likes this.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 22 Old 02-09-2018, 09:20 AM
Out of Control

Jatco makes Nissan cvt's, Honda makes their own (now on their 3rd. gen. cvt.). Car magazine reviews state Honda's is one of the best out there. Just keep the trans. fluid in a clean state,

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 511K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #8 of 22 Old 02-09-2018, 10:55 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
The CVT in my 16 is better than the harsh automatics in the first two Accords (92,03) IMO. If you enjoy accelerating quick from stop signs and red lights, it may not be for you. It does just fine passing slower cars, once the wheels are rolling.

^^ this. I have the traditional auto in my 07, and its slightly more noticable shifts, where the 16 is smooth as butter. Keep fluid clean and your golden.
Some on here prefer the V6 traditional auto, but be your own judge. Test drive both and see.

In terms of problems with the CVT I have yet to see any major issues that would concern you.

Former:
1984 Olds Cutlass(1st car)
1991 Taurus wagon (LOL)
1995 Mitsu eclipse- GSX
2002 Honda Civic(RIP AUTO-TRANS)
2008 Honda Accord LX (Traded-Oil burner)

Current:
2007 Honda Accord EX-L(His)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L(Hers)
post #9 of 22 Old 02-09-2018, 11:18 AM
Rollin in FL

Garage
OP: Just get an Accord with a CVT. It will do the job for you. I had a 2018 CRV as a loaner for 12 days and the CVT was smooth and quiet compared to Nissan's (Jatco) CVT. You just gotta check the CVT fluid (if Honda gives a dipstick for that) and do your D&F every x amount of miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
We cross shopped the altima too. At the time (2015) it did have more electronic features than the accord. Major turns off included numerous reports of cvt failure. Also, the car felt sloppy/unplanted on turns with way too much body roll. It's been too long to remember what its cvt felt like. Should stop in by a nissan dealer to test one out see if they've improved it any.
Good luck! Nissan didn't improve the CVT at all It's pointless to go to a Nissan dealer to feel the CVT, as you can go to and read all the complaints. A newer one that Nissan owners are experiencing is higher RPMs on cold starts.

Mine:
Lucky- 1999 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4AT- 113K (SSM)

Parents:
Pato- 2016 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5L CVT- 45k (ABM)
Lelu 2.0- 2017 Acura MDX w/ Tech 3.5L 9AT-- 3k (BCP)

Long gone:
Lelu- 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/navi & res 3.5L- 151k (SGM)(traded-in)
2004 Hyundia Elentra Hatchback GLS- Idk miles (Silver) totaled
post #10 of 22 Old 02-09-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Hey thanks for the info. As far as wanting to burn up tires from stop light to stop light, I have a 66 big block Plymouth for that. Sounds like Honda's CVT is a sound trans. for every day driving. Which is exactly what i'm looking for. Another Question how are they in the snow? My 91 would cut through 6" of Wisconsin snow no problem. So you guy who live in snow what do you think?
Thanks Joe.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-09-2018, 07:20 PM
6th Gear

Read this thread.

9th generation Accord scary in snow

IMO, tires make all the difference.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #12 of 22 Old 02-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Low Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by datechbpss101 View Post

Good luck! Nissan didn't improve the CVT at all It's pointless to go to a Nissan dealer to feel the CVT, as you can go to and read all the complaints. A newer one that Nissan owners are experiencing is higher RPMs on cold starts.
Actually Nissan has improved their CVT. I don't recall now, but the 2016+ uses the new 3rd gen CVT. I understand this is a Honda forum, but can I say I like the Nissan CVT better (than Honda). I would have no reservations in buying a 2016+ Altima SR. The dealer was offering $5K off MSRP.

I got the Accord Sport with CVT. I'm a Honda guy, and it was natural to go from one Honda product to another. San Marino red is just sexy to me, where as the Altima was just "red." Plus I like the Sport look better than the Altima SR.
Pool Shark likes this.

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #13 of 22 Old 02-10-2018, 04:50 AM
Rollin in FL

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
Actually Nissan has improved their CVT. I don't recall now, but the 2016+ uses the new 3rd gen CVT. I understand this is a Honda forum, but can I say I like the Nissan CVT better (than Honda). I would have no reservations in buying a 2016+ Altima SR. The dealer was offering $5K off MSRP.

I got the Accord Sport with CVT. I'm a Honda guy, and it was natural to go from one Honda product to another. San Marino red is just sexy to me, where as the Altima was just "red." Plus I like the Sport look better than the Altima SR.
I can see where you are coming from. We own a 2016 Nissan, and didn't have problems yet with the CVT, as some people on the forum that I posted the link to has issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mine:
Lucky- 1999 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4AT- 113K (SSM)

Parents:
Pato- 2016 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5L CVT- 45k (ABM)
Lelu 2.0- 2017 Acura MDX w/ Tech 3.5L 9AT-- 3k (BCP)

Long gone:
Lelu- 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/navi & res 3.5L- 151k (SGM)(traded-in)
2004 Hyundia Elentra Hatchback GLS- Idk miles (Silver) totaled
post #14 of 22 Old 02-10-2018, 06:46 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post

Old Nissan CVTs are pretty scary. I was looking at an Altima Coupe when I was buying my Accord. Crossed it right off the list after hearing how some owners went through 3 transmissions.

Another problem I have with Nissans is the fit and finish. Their interiors are always incredibly cheap. The Sentra Nismo I saw in the shopping mall the other day has a black shift knob like it's from the 90s, and even GTR has an interior that's barely as good as the Corvette.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #15 of 22 Old 02-10-2018, 06:59 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by f250 View Post
. . . . . I'm having a hard time finding a used Accord in my area with a manual trans,
I have a 2014 Sport in MSM, with MT, 50K miles. I may be either selling or trading it this year. What area are you in?

Tom
'14 Accord Sport 6MT
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.