2015 Accord LX vs 2017 Passat S - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
9Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2015 Accord LX vs 2017 Passat S

My 2015 Accord LX (25,500 miles) lease is up next month and I have to decide on either a buyout or turn in. I am also looking at a '17 Passat S with 10,500 miles. With a lower APR% offering and a price of $14,200, the '17 Passat S will cost about the same as the '15 Accord LX.

The Accord will no longer be under warranty, whereas the Passat will have about 2 years left under warranty.

I have always driven Accords, nothing else. This model has very uncomfortable seats and I have to use pads on the seat and back, which is a bummer. Also, there is fabric on the door handle, armrests, and door trim in light silver that gets dirty. I don't understand why they did this. Besides these things, I like the Accord and had no issues with it so far. It is plenty quick enough for me and I like the CVT trans. It handles nicely, but it does ride a bit harsh to me and doesn't feel as nimble as my earlier Accords.

I have test driven the Passat S and the seats seem comfortable enough.The only negatives I noted were the highway wind noise near the windshield and how the transmission felt when accelerating from a stop. It did not feel smooth or quick. I've never driven a turbo engine before or a Volkswagen, so I don't know if this is normal.

As far as reliability is concerned, I've driven 3 Accords 170,000 - 200,000 miles, so I'm a bit hesitant to switch to VW, which gets an average reliability rating on many sites. Also, Accords have higher resale values, if I'm correct.

Are the seats on this gen. Accord a deal breaker for anyone else? Am I crazy thinking of switching to a VW?

All feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 08:28 AM
3rd Gear

2015 Accord LX vs 2017 Passat S

I like the Passat. Itís roomier than the Accord and I like the German feel. Of course, some of the features on the higher level trims are nice so if you can stretch to afford an SE or R-line, you might like that better.

In terms of reliability, itís probably the same as the Accord. Plus youíll have the warranty. Turbo engines are nothing to worry about these days.

If it were me, Iíd jump on the opportunity to get out of the Accord and into something else. But, I pretty much hate my Accord so maybe my opinion on it is too biased.

ETA: you mentioned that the Passat gets average scores on reliability ratings. The Accord does too. The legendary Honda reliability has fallen by the wayside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I'm afraid I can only manage the Passat S right now... $14,200 for a '17 with 10,500 miles is a good price, correct? I can get 1.99% also. I'm a base model only type.

Just curious, why do you hate the Accord?

post #4 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 08:35 AM
Rollin in FL

Garage
I have a 6th gen Accord, so I can't say much. If you don't want all the tech and whatnot, just stick with the Accord. I honestly love Honda products, so my opinion will be completely biased, as I only drive Honda/Acura vehicles only. But if you think the Passat has better value, then I'd say go for it. Also, you gotta look at both the pros and cons of each vehicle. I wouldn't consider seat comfort as a priority reason to switch brands, as these seats ain't no touring or Recaro seats. If you want great reliablilty, stick with the Accord. Also, how many people are with you in the Accord on a day-to-day basis? If its just you, your current Accord is perfect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mine:
Lucky- 1999 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4AT- 112K (SSM)

Parents:
Pato- 2016 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5L CVT- 42k (ABM)
Lelu 2.0- 2017 Acura MDX w/ Tech 3.5L 9AT-- 2100 miles (BCP)

Long gone:
Lelu- 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/navi & res 3.5L- 151k (SGM)(traded-in)
2004 Hyundia Elentra Hatchback GLS- Idk miles (Silver) totaled
post #5 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 09:25 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria135! View Post
I'm afraid I can only manage the Passat S right now... $14,200 for a '17 with 10,500 miles is a good price, correct? I can get 1.99% also. I'm a base model only type.

Just curious, why do you hate the Accord?

Iíd check the price on TrueCar. That price doesnít seem bad though.

I hate my Accord for many small things. Itís been death by 1000 cuts. I run into some annoyance daily with it. Hereís what I can think of offhand:

The remote start sometimes doesnít work.
The CarPlay and Bluetooth are super flakey and unreliable with frequent disconnects.
The trunk falls on my head often (I now back into my driveway to mitigate this).
I have random rattles in the dashboard that the dealer canít reproduce so wonít fix.
I have rattles in the rear tray that the dealer wonít fix since I have an aftermarket subwoofer.
Gas mileage sucks (<20mpg per tank).
The back of the front seats are soft so when my 4 year old kicks the back of the seat, it goes straight into my back.

post #6 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 12:01 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edogg View Post
Iíd check the price on TrueCar. That price doesnít seem bad though.

I hate my Accord for many small things. Itís been death by 1000 cuts. I run into some annoyance daily with it. Hereís what I can think of offhand:

The remote start sometimes doesnít work.
The CarPlay and Bluetooth are super flakey and unreliable with frequent disconnects.
The trunk falls on my head often (I now back into my driveway to mitigate this).
I have random rattles in the dashboard that the dealer canít reproduce so wonít fix.
I have rattles in the rear tray that the dealer wonít fix since I have an aftermarket subwoofer.
Gas mileage sucks (<20mpg per tank).
The back of the front seats are soft so when my 4 year old kicks the back of the seat, it goes straight into my back.

I thought I was the only one who thought this. Same here with my 6 year old. Feels like a dagger in my back.

One thing to ponder is you know the history of your car. You DONT Know the history of the used Passat, it could have been neutral dropped, ran like a rental car, ran with no oil, urinated in ect.
Just something to think about.

Former:
1984 Olds Cutlass(1st car)
1991 Taurus wagon (LOL)
1995 Mitsu eclipse- GSX
2002 Honda Civic(RIP AUTO-TRANS)
2008 Honda Accord LX (Traded-Oil burner)

Current:
2007 Honda Accord EX-L(His)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L(Hers)
post #7 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 12:08 PM
3rd Gear

True...but with 2 more years on the warranty, issues caused by poor maintenance should be taken care of.

post #8 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Good points scar, but, ew.

I have stellar olfactory receptors, so... a test drive and a good visual inspection should suffice.

Also, there is carfax.

The cars I am looking at were Volkswagon executives 1 year rentals, for what it's worth.
post #9 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 01:28 PM
Jimmy Rustler

Quote:

In terms of reliability, itís probably the same as the Accord.

slimm1469, salcuta, EricP and 1 others like this.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

post #10 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 01:35 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolftangoV2 View Post

Evidence of my seemingly bold claim: Both Honda and VW get 3* JD Power dependability ratings.

More evidence: they both get 3* initial quality ratings.

post #11 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 03:14 PM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

My best buddy had a 2010 Passat that at about 90k miles, was useless. The dealer couldn't get parts! He was having all kinds of failures for which he could get no replacement parts, OEM or aftermarket. He unloaded the car on Craigslist.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #12 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 03:44 PM
2nd Gear

Wife had zero issues in hers. Regular maintenance. Had a buddy who drove his to 320K miles. But has was a Jetta. That's what convinced me. My wife had a TDI. Bought back at 90K miles.

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment. 2017 Accord Coupe EX-L, V6
post #13 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Evidence of my seemingly bold claim: Both Honda and VW get 3* JD Power dependability ratings.

More evidence: they both get 3* initial quality ratings.

Just because its 3 stars doesn't mean they're equally reliable. Look a little deeper and you'll see that Honda has less problems per 100 vehicles (143) than Volkswagen (164).

True Delta shows the same thing for 2014-2017 model year vehicles. Honda has 16 Repair Trips per 100 Cars per Year. Volkswagen has 25 Repair Trips per 100 Cars per Year.

Look a little further beyond the initial 3 years which the JD Power study is based on and you'll see that Volkswagen problems per 100 Cars per Year increases more than Honda.

For brand reliability covering model years 2010 to 2017, Honda has 21 Repair Trips per 100 Cars per Year and Volkswagen has 36 Repair Trips per 100 Cars per Year.

Honda: going from 16 Repair Trips to 21 Repair Trips is an increase of 31.25%
Volkswagen: going from 25 Repair Trips to 36 Repair Trips is an increase of 44%

Go all the way back to 2000 and you'll see the same thing. Consumer Reports data for brand reliability from 2000 to 2017. Honda is in 9th place and Volkswagen is in 16th place.

And when something does go wrong, Honda parts will be less expensive than Volkswagen parts.

post #14 of 52 Old 01-27-2018, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for all the data/charts!

It looks like the Passat is at least the most reliable model of the VWs. My previous Accords, '87, '04, '13, had little to no major issues. I have read that the 9th gen. Accord might have lost a bit of reliability...who knows, only time will tell.

Repair costs are a factor, nod to the Accord. Also, my Honda dealership has free oil changes for the life of the vehicle when purchased there.

I am going to work on making the seat more comfortable on the Accord. I've already covered the door handles, that are light fabric...(dumb), with fake leather. These are two really bad design flaws on the 9th get in my opinion. I've also been kicked from back seat kid kickers!
post #15 of 52 Old 01-27-2018, 07:47 AM
6th Gear

You don't have to buy your Accord, you could buy any Accord.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.