Is anyone happy with 9th gen V6 or Touring 2016, 17? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
44Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Is anyone happy with 9th gen V6 or Touring 2016, 17?

Well, my friend is NOT. She bought a brand new 2016 Accord Touring exactly 2 years ago. Haven't seen her much but asked how happy with car. She immediately complained about the transmission, said Honda knows about 'problem' but no fix.

She says she'd buy a German car if she could afford. She had German cars for many years, last a 1989 BMW 535 bought used, ran up to about 170k miles. Developed leak in that heat exchanger thing in dash (forgot name of what makes warm cabin air). Anyhow, was going to be like $1400 to fix. After years of cooling system fixes for lots of $$ and her idiot indy German car mechanic failing to inform her of cooling system recalls, she decided time to move on from Euro cars.

I only ever recommended an Accord and 4 cylinder at that, but I did tell her Accord comes in a V6 also.
After test driving 4 cylinder she came back later saying, 'I know why I'm not excited about an Accord, it's the 4 cylinder'. That's when she only became interested in the V6. I didn't try to talk her out of it even though I figured the 4 cylinder would be plenty of car for her needs and reliably more reliable.

I drove her Touring when it had only a couple miles total. It drove / shifted / everything fine to me. I thought it was really smooth, docile yet powerful if wanted.

So, again, is anyone actually happy with their V6 9th gen, Touring despite the 6sp automatic transmission 'character'?

2005 Accord sedan LX auto, Silver / Black, front seat covers Coverking spacermesh

2011 Prius Three - sold 6/16. Ran out of Nodoze to stay awake while driving and out of Pepto Bismol to keep from barfing over interior design. Good riddance!
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 09:47 AM
2nd Gear

Happy with mine, grated I only have 1200 miles under my belt. Others can chime in....

isaccth1 and sub786 like this.

2017 Accord V-6 Touring Sedan Crystal Black/Black
post #3 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 AM
1st Gear

Garage
I have 26,500 miles (bought it with 23,800 miles) on my '15 Accord EX-L V6. I'm happy with it so far in the 3k miles I've put on her.
isaccth1 and sub786 like this.

2015 Accord EX-L | V6 | MSM

- Philips 194 LED License Plate Lights
- Philips 921 LED Reverse Lights
- Trunk Spoiler

post #4 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 10:05 AM
2nd Gear

Coming from VW and a few DSG transmissions... This automatic is VERY clunky feeling vs automated clutch. There's quite a few little things that add up to the experience too. i.e. when I turned the volume to 0 it would pause the source music... Whether it was Bluetooth, CD, etc. The volume was always set to a low level when starting the car. Most of what's in the imid was part of a digital display between the tachometer and accelerometer.

My wife has never owned anything but Honda in her family. She was scared to death when I took her to VW. It took one 5 minute drive and she loved the simplicity of her Passat TDI. It had quite a bit of function without the impression of anything complex. She HATES my Accord now. She has driven it a few times and she says it's not intuitive. She hates buttons and electronics in general. She actually refuses to touch the radio and wanted to know why it has 2 screens. Pretty funny.

The Passat even drove like a small car, oddly. She had zero issues with her hand/eye coordination. She immediately hit our trash can driving the Accord first time. It was really funny.

Anyways... She hates the exhaust note, dash, pretty much all of the interior, the driving characteristics, handling, but said it rides well. When it was shifting she thought something broke. She freaked out... Especially downshifting.

So...I think this all comes down to priorities. Also, despite all the hate against European cars, the reliability was right up there with her previous Honda's. We only got to 90K miles before receiving $20K in the buy back. We went with a Grand Cherokee diesel.
isaccth1 likes this.

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment. 2017 Accord Coupe EX-L, V6
post #5 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Reverse Gear

After a 32 month test drive, I just bought mine. I do see an occasional rough shift here and there. Mostly when it's cold. Not enough to bother me. I'm not the primary driver of my wife's car, but I do drive it once a week, I haven't witnessed a rough shift in hers.
isaccth1 likes this.

2007 Accord LX-SE 4d 5spd MT Graphite Pearl (was his, now son's)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT Crystal Black Pearl/Ivory (His)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT White Orchid Pearl/Ivory (Hers)

Previous Rides
1993 Buick Regal 3.8
1992 Acura Legend LS 4D 5MT
1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4AT
1986 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT
1981 Saab 900 Turbo 4D 3AT "The money pit" $5K+ in repairs in 2 years
1976 Volvo 242DL 3AT "The Vault"
1976 Toyota Corona 4D 3AT "The Oven" black vinyl interior and no A/C
post #6 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 10:52 AM
6th Gear

Garage
I've gotten used to the way the 6AT shifts in my '17 Touring, but I have some very noticeable rattle sounds coming from the transmission, most likely due to the VCM operation. I've had it to the dealer twice and they say they can replicate the sound on other V6s, so I guess I'll just have to live with it. I don't care for the VCM either, the vibrations and "rumble strip" effect are very noticeable in my car. Some of these cars have less of the noises and vibrations from the drivetrain, some more. I must have gotten a noisy one LOL. Other than the transmission, I love almost everything about my Touring. The V6 is sublime and provides near effortless power. I wouldn't care for a slightly softer ride, but not at the expense of losing any of the steering feel/response or handling characteristics.

I have a '17-'18 Nissan Maxima as a rental while my car is at the dealer. I cannot wait to get back to my Accord! The steering in the Maxima is terrible; artificial-feeling, over-boosted, etc! The V6 has 300HP, but it doesn't feel any faster than my car. The interior looks nice, but ergonomics and usability are far behind the Accord. I say that to make a point: The Accord, especially the V6/Touring is probably the most well-rounded sedan in its price point. There are cars that do one or two thing better, but the entire package is unmatched, IMHO.
BenzAccord, isaccth1, 14v6 and 2 others like this.

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory
post #7 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 12:40 PM
6th Gear

Garage
You could give away $100 bills and some folks would still find something to complain about.

They could make so many Accords even better if they would just put the 6 speed in more of them (and if the foolish buying public would consequently buy them). The Honda 6MT is such a fantastic transmission. (That and the 6MT also eliminates the VCM.)

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L HFP V6 M6 in WOP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich
post #8 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear

Garage
5000+ miles on a 2016 V6 touring Coupe. I got New in October of 2017. Love it. Love the power, features and look. Only thing I would change is make it rear wheel drive, I miss that from my BMW. That not really a problem, just the type of car it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
isaccth1 likes this.
post #9 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 02:27 PM
2016 Touring 6AT

Garage
Auto trannies require you learning what sort of throttle input will get it to shift in what way, in both eco + regular + sport mode. If she isn't doing that or isn't used to it, I could see not liking it. I'm definitely used to it and have no issues, my ankle could not handle DDing a car with a heavy clutch in city traffic anymore and I have no regrets. Doesn't hurt that it has 100hp more than the last car either

There is no way it would feel the same as a DSG if that's what she came from, or an older automatic which shifts less. Even my wife's 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe has a traditionally shifting/feeling automatic transmission which doesn't try to downshift so much, but it leaves it churning high RPM's on the highway and gets garbage MPG. It's all a tradeoff one way or another.

If I am in ECO mode and I know I might need to accelerate soon, I don't let off the gas as much to prevent it from downshifting. Gotta be one with the car.
isaccth1, slimm1469 and 15Accord like this.
post #10 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 02:45 PM
5th Gear

I am extremely pleased with my 2015 V6/6AT. Great car and a great powertrain IMO (although right now she’s all mucked up with road salt and dirt but that’ll get dealt with on the weekend when it’s back up in the 60s F).
isaccth1 likes this.

Current Honda = 2015 Accord sedan: WOP Ex-L V6-6AT/Nav
Previous Hondas = 2007 Civic Ex Sedan (5spd-AT) & 1973 Civic 1200cc 5spd-MT hatchback
post #11 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 03:19 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP View Post
Auto trannies require you learning what sort of throttle input will get it to shift in what way, in both eco + regular + sport mode. If she isn't doing that or isn't used to it, I could see not liking it. I'm definitely used to it and have no issues, my ankle could not handle DDing a car with a heavy clutch in city traffic anymore and I have no regrets. Doesn't hurt that it has 100hp more than the last car either

There is no way it would feel the same as a DSG if that's what she came from, or an older automatic which shifts less. Even my wife's 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe has a traditionally shifting/feeling automatic transmission which doesn't try to downshift so much, but it leaves it churning high RPM's on the highway and gets garbage MPG. It's all a tradeoff one way or another.

If I am in ECO mode and I know I might need to accelerate soon, I don't let off the gas as much to prevent it from downshifting. Gotta be one with the car.
I think it has a lot to do with driving experience and expectations. I got it knowing full well what to expect and I'm happy with it. She prefers the driving characteristics of a diesel now too. That massive torque at low RPMs makes driving a cinch. The 10th gen has that now too.
isaccth1 likes this.

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment. 2017 Accord Coupe EX-L, V6
post #12 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

I bought mine in Aug, a 17 EX-L V6 and have 9000 miles so far. During normal driving I do sense a slight jerkyness from 1st to 2nd, and when slowing down, the downshifts are very noticeable. When I drive more 'spirited' the shifts are great. Very smooth and responsive. My girlfriend has a '13 accord with the 4 cyl CVT so I get to drive both. I do like hers better off the line as the 4 cyl seems lighter, but once we reach highway speeds, the 6 cyl is mint. And I get great gas mileage with the 6. On the highway i'm 33, and mixed driving 26.

Overall I'm satisfied with it.
isaccth1 and 15Accord like this.
post #13 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 03:36 PM
3rd Gear

Love my 2016 EXL V6 with 15k miles
15Accord likes this.
post #14 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 04:21 PM
DAN SO LOW

I personally haven't owned the 9th gen V6 Accord, but from being in both service and sales department at the Honda dealership I worked at. The only 'character' I noticed in the transmissions were when it was cold, especially the brand new ones, and it was would have a, I wouldn't even call it a hard shift more of a pushing forward shift. I did notice this 'character' going away A LOT when the car was warmed up. I also think it does depend on where she has her pedal \ throttle position is when driving or what "mode" she is in. I personally love the accord. If it was paired with a 6\MT that would have to be the best combo and all around crafted vehicle by Honda, on the mid size sedan level, since the 07-08 TL Type-S (I am biased and a Honda fanboy :-D )
I think your lady friend is tripping, be glad she has a reliable, cheap to maintain and value holding vehicle.. unlike a lot of the german cars, I have a german car and its ok, and its TANKING in value, but would take the Accord equivalent over it any day ( mistakes were made -_- )
isaccth1 and 15Accord like this.
post #15 of 50 Old 01-16-2018, 04:26 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaccth1 View Post
After test driving 4 cylinder she came back later saying, 'I know why I'm not excited about an Accord, it's the 4 cylinder'.
This IS a good woman.

isaccth1 and slimm1469 like this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.