Push To Start Conundrum - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
18Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 01-11-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Unhappy

I set out to a nearby restaurant a couple hours earlier to pick dinner on a what had been a rainy day.
On returning to my 2013 Honda Accord I pushed the brake and hit the push to start button... it just clicked but did not start. The electronics on the dash all lit up as did the radio and my cell phone (charging cable connected)

I tried putting the car in neutral and starting afters, I tried using the fob over the push to start button. i tried starting it by pressing different zones of the PTS button but nothing worked.

After two hours of trying I got an uber home with my car still in the parking of the restaurant

I managed to get a video showing one of my last attempts before i got back home:

I was hoping for advice on whats the best course of actions.
From all the online reads it seems to be a recurring issue in the 2013 Accords.
Do I take it to any decent nearby repair shop or does it go to the dealership. I fear a huge price gouge at the dealership with them pointing to the starter and saying it will need $1000 to fix

I do not have extended warranty on the car, regular warranty expired last summer. The only service I can avail is AAA.

Any advice on what the fix could be or what my best yet economical options are would be most welcome!

Thanks!!!

quick additions:

the fob battery is fine since i could lock the door from afar,
the car battery is the same from 2018 but the electronics and internal lights etc turn on with no issue/dimness

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-11-2018 at 08:41 PM. Reason: merge
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-11-2018, 08:33 PM
Roll Tide!

what happened when you tried to jump start it?

dfwxjer and WhiteOrchid like this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-11-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

i havent tried that yet, i am having AAA come help with the jump start/towing at 7 am

post #4 of 33 Old 01-11-2018, 08:54 PM
6th Gear

I don't drive our accord often enough to remember this, but does the dash light up like that when pressing the start button without the brake? If so, then my money's on the brake switch. If that is the issue, it's usually a cheap fix.

It doesn't sound like the car is even attempting to crank, so not sure what good a jump will do. I suppose the tow truck can tow you someplace if he can't get it started.

----------------

Ok, don't think it's the brake switch. Just went outside to check. Dash does not light up for first push without brake. Maybe start checking fuses..

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #5 of 33 Old 01-11-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

im with you on that... i think its the brake or the push to start system. i fear the dealership will charge a lot for the latter

and yes....the dash lights up like that when pressing the start button a couple times without the brake
thanks for replying
post #6 of 33 Old 01-11-2018, 09:10 PM
6th Gear

^^I get no warning lights when starting without the brake (accessory mode). Ours is a MY 2015 car so it may be different but I wouldn't think so. If I push the button again (on position), then I get the warning lights. If the brake switch is broken and open even when pressed, I'd expect the behavior to be similar to pressing the start button without brake applied.

post #7 of 33 Old 01-11-2018, 10:26 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor View Post
i havent tried that yet, i am having AAA come help with the jump start/towing at 7 am
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
what happened when you tried to jump start it?
Quote:
the fob battery is fine since i could lock the door from afar,
the car battery is the same from 2018 but the electronics and internal lights etc turn on with no issue/dimness
In reference to above quote, are you stating it's a brand new car battery?

Wife's car had the same issue ('16 Accord V6 Auto). Headlights were strong and everything was lighting up fine in-car, but battery was toast. She wasn't even hearing a click from the starter.

Car wouldn't crank for an hour and then a final attempt in the 2nd hour and it started up like normal. Needless to say, same no-crank condition returned a couple days later. Honda warrantied the battery.

I bought a battery load tester for $20 to catch it before it happens in the future.

Not sayin' the battery is definitive on your situation, but I wouldn't discount it on account of the lights and electronics turning on. My wife's battery lasted less than a year...they don't make them like they used to.

Good luck and hope it's just the battery.

2016 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 w/ Manual Trans - 53k Miles
2016 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 w/ Automatic - 22k Miles
post #8 of 33 Old 01-12-2018, 03:21 AM
Out of Control

The usual suspects, battery and or starter. On the starter failure, most people can get it to start if they try 20 times. However, my bet is a bad battery, or loose or corroded connections at the battery.

Any independent shop could troubleshoot this and fix it easily.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jimijam likes this.

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #9 of 33 Old 01-12-2018, 04:40 AM
4th Gear

A couple things come to mind..
Do the brake lights come on? not sure if this would trouble-shoot the switch
Pull the battery cable (re-boot) inspect / clean them
retry / retry with a booster

Tom / Chicago
'15 Coupe, EX-L, V6A in MSM
'91 CRX Si, 114k - sold
'83 Supra, 110k - sold
pic thread:

'
post #10 of 33 Old 01-12-2018, 05:23 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Oh good golly, try the obvious first. It is probably a bad battery or a weak connection at the battery.

You know, those jump start packs are often well under $100 and great insurance against getting stranded with a weak or dead battery.

Or for more $$$ you can get this one for space and weight savings.

cookieman214 and MikeNC like this.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L HFP V6 M6 in WOP

Rich

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-12-2018 at 07:12 AM. Reason: le merge
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOrchid For This Useful Post:
cookieman214 (01-12-2018), KW2004Accord (01-12-2018)
post #11 of 33 Old 01-12-2018, 05:35 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOrchid View Post
Oh good golly, try the obvious first. It is probably a bad battery or a weak connection at the battery.

You know, those jump start packs are often well under $100 and great insurance against getting stranded with a weak or dead battery.
I am amused at the panic a bad battery causes on this forum.
t-rd, jimijam and WhiteOrchid like this.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
The Following User Says Thank You to cookieman214 For This Useful Post:
ltxi (01-12-2018)
post #12 of 33 Old 01-12-2018, 08:13 AM
6th Gear

Garage
My '13 Accord (now my nephew's car) had the battery go bad a few weeks ago and it would not even attempt to crank. I was standing outside watching and I kept seeing the headlights come on and off rapidly. It was him trying to start the car and continuing the press the start button. I turned off all electronic accessories, AC, Lights, any loads and it still wouldn't crank. New battery and he was good to go.

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory
post #13 of 33 Old 01-12-2018, 08:20 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Quote:
From all the online reads it seems to be a recurring issue in the 2013 Accords.
Yes, easily remedied by installing a new, working battery within 5 years.
jimijam likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
jimijam (01-12-2018)
post #14 of 33 Old 01-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Dsclmr:DIY YourOwnRisks

It's the notorious battery failure. Just jump start and get a new battery....no need to take it to dealer or repair shop.

My guess, he got panic because Honda failed him, not the battery. If it was a pinto he wouldn't be happier to dump it.

The doctor is amused at the panic someone is just getting a broken nose.
post #15 of 33 Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM
6th Gear

Pat Goss had an interesting segment on jump starts and current cars in a recent segment.

Well, maybe not so recent.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.