9th generation Accord scary in snow - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
26Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

9th generation Accord scary in snow

I have the v6 touring with the factory michellin tires. I think they are all seasons. I was driving today in the snow and the car slips like crazy, to a scary level. Even very low acceleration at like 5mph causes the wheels to spin. I have driven in the snow for 30 years with many older hondas including a 97 accord, 98 civic, 2000 accord. All drive fine with all season tires in the snow. Sure snow tires are ideal, but it was never required before. Whats up with this car? Is it the design of the car or is it purely tires? Anyone else experiencing this?

2014 Accord v6 Touring Sedan Black on Black
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 01:37 AM
3rd Gear

Well, 252 lb-ft of torque + no-season tires + snow = wheel spin. You can't expect much out of those Michelins in the snow. This car has more torque than any of your previous cars, so of course you'll get that, unless you're very light on the throttle. Get dedicated snow tires.

08EX-L, rexgo, enne and 2 others like this.

2017 Touring V6 Sedan Obsidian Blue Pearl - My 12th Honda
The Following User Says Thank You to Aviatard For This Useful Post:
roastpuff (01-05-2018)
post #3 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 02:42 AM
Reverse Gear

Funny I was thinking just the opposite. I was remarking yesterday that I think the 9th gen V6 is better in the snow than my 7th gen I4. The extra weight in the front will give better traction, but at the same time, you have to forget you have a V6 by turning Econ Mode on and being light on the throttle.

However, all the car's you list have narrower tires than your 9th gen does. Narrower tires mean more weight per square inch which results in better traction.
Miker, ImagioX1, rexgo and 1 others like this.

2007 Accord LX-SE 4d 5spd MT Graphite Pearl (was his, now son's)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT Crystal Black Pearl/Ivory (His)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT White Orchid Pearl/Ivory (Hers)

Previous Rides
1993 Buick Regal 3.8
1992 Acura Legend LS 4D 5MT
1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4AT
1986 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT
1981 Saab 900 Turbo 4D 3AT "The money pit" $5K+ in repairs in 2 years
1976 Volvo 242DL 3AT "The Vault"
1976 Toyota Corona 4D 3AT "The Oven" black vinyl interior and no A/C

post #4 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 03:07 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Get good snow tires. All season or touring tires are not good for snow.
VincentA likes this.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 177k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2003 Ford F-150
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #5 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 04:49 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatard View Post
Well, 252 lb-ft of torque + no-season tires + snow = wheel spin. You can't expect much out of those Michelins in the snow. This car has more torque than any of your previous cars, so of course you'll get that, unless you're very light on the throttle. Get dedicated snow tires.
This +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzAccord View Post
Funny I was thinking just the opposite. I was remarking yesterday that I think the 9th gen V6 is better in the snow than my 7th gen I4. The extra weight in the front will give better traction, but at the same time, you have to forget you have a V6 by turning Econ Mode on and being light on the throttle.

However, all the car's you list have narrower tires than your 9th gen does. Narrower tires mean more weight per square inch which results in better traction.
and this +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta View Post
Get good snow tires. All season or touring tires are not good for snow.
and finally this +1
ImagioX1 likes this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #6 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 05:05 AM
Out of Control

My rule of thumb with the Accord and snow is to forget the snows and just park it. I got rid of an Odyssey because it was terrible in the snow even with snow tires and one time I didn't time it right and got stuck in a brief little squall with the Accord and it was terrible. Yes, the Michelins to suck and snows would help but it's just better to park it. I've had a 99 Taurus that was amazing, some cars do better than others, snows and all. Not sure why. I have an old CRV that I used in yesterday's storm which does not have snow tires (they have finally dry rotted after 5 seasons) so I just used brand new General RT43's and with new tread, they were pretty good, just lacking on braking which is to be expected.

2009 CRV LX
2014 Accord EXL-V6
2015 CRV Touring
2017 Ridgeline RTS
post #7 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 05:24 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Sounds like it's time for winter tires, bruh. Call up your local tire shop and have them order a set for you. Check TireRack and see what's available and what has good ratings. I'm sure there are also some threads on here with what other people have on their 9th gens.
qman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #8 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 06:54 AM
5th Gear

I haven't had any trouble with snow at all this year, of course I've been driving my 4WD pickup. But seriously as implied above there are usually two primary reasons for poor snow and ice traction, tires and the right foot. Michelins are as good or better than any other tires in the snow and ice but you have to buy the right Michelins.

Tom
'14 Accord Sport 6MT
post #9 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 07:08 AM
3rd Gear

Yea, i understand where you coming from. For some reason, other FWD cars I've had with all season tires with "lower" snow ratings got better traction than my accord. I've had the same tire on different fwd, and got way better traction.

2015 Honda Accord Sport:

Performance: Ktuner, RV6 Downpipe, Takeda Axleback, Takeda SRI, 17mm RSB, Horn Upgrade

Looks: Custom Front Grille, OEM Sport Bodykit, 25% Tint, 5k XD HIDs, 5k exLED Interior, Trunk, and License Plate Bulbs, 5k LED All Over, Various Chrome Trim Color Matched

My Channel:
post #10 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 07:25 AM
Jimmy Rustler

My Sport on 19" AS Contis does okay in the snow. No complaints.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

post #11 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 07:30 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
You have 4+ year old all-season tires with Tom Cruise-knows how many miles/kilometers and you are complaining about traction in the snow?!?!?!

My new all season Contis are excellent in the snow right now- with just 3,000 miles on them.
Pdubois and enne like this.
post #12 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 08:48 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Seriously, the V6 has nothing to do with it. The car has ABS, traction control and stability control. Assuming you haven't turned them off, the car will actually help you in snow. Having the ECON button on helps too in that it softens the gas pedal input.

The limitation is the Michelin Primacy tires they put on these things. They are really marginal in the snow.

That said, I've not had a lot of difficulty getting around in the snow (I use the OEM Primacy tires as my winter tires) but I'd never try to drive it through snowdrifts or anything. My old Prelude was not great in the snow either. My old Civic was okay, but just too light to build confidence. The best snow car I've ever driven was my wife's 84 Chevy Celebrity V6. That thing would plow through the Great Wall of China if it were made of snow. The worst I've ever driven is my 2WD 69 Chevy C10 pickup (doesn't help that it has 275/60-15 BFG T/A Radials, wide and snow crappy).
rexgo and roastpuff like this.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L HFP V6 M6 in WOP

Rich
post #13 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 09:17 AM
4th Gear

My '15 V6A with the OEM Michelin Primacy are just OK in the snow - beats RWD cars - which I'm used to. yes to ECON button and turn-off traction if you get stuck.
Best car I had in the snow was my '91 CRX Si.

Tom / Chicago
'15 Coupe, EX-L, V6A in MSM
'91 CRX Si, 114k - sold
'83 Supra, 110k - sold
pic thread:

'
post #14 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 09:35 AM
3rd Gear

snow tires will be your best bet

2015 Honda Accord Sport:

Performance: Ktuner, RV6 Downpipe, Takeda Axleback, Takeda SRI, 17mm RSB, Horn Upgrade

Looks: Custom Front Grille, OEM Sport Bodykit, 25% Tint, 5k XD HIDs, 5k exLED Interior, Trunk, and License Plate Bulbs, 5k LED All Over, Various Chrome Trim Color Matched

My Channel:
post #15 of 46 Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord Man 1 View Post
I was driving today in the snow and the car slips like crazy, to a scary level. Even very low acceleration at like 5mph causes the wheels to spin...Anyone else experiencing this?
We had 4" of snow overnight and have probably 15" on the ground. It hasn't been above 20F for over a week. Ran some errands this morning. I haven't found my 2013 EX-L V6 with Michelin Primacy all-season tires to be any worse in the snow than my 2005 Camry V6 or my 2000 Olds Intrigue V6 before that. It slips in the snow, as did every other FWD car I've driven in the last 20 years. The V6 may be worse just because of the power available. but I don't think there's anything in the Accord design that makes it worse than similar vehicles.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.