9th generation Accord scary in snow - Page 3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
26Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 46 Old 01-06-2018, 09:05 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Here's a good thread about winter tires: 14 Reasons To Ditch All Seasons Tires For The Winter

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 01-06-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

So, no question now, I am going with snow tires. It also looks like downsizing really helps.

The only thing I want to know is downsizing from 17” to 16” worth the cost difference? Is there much of a noticeable difference in grip?

I want order and get installed as soon as possible. Thanks.

2014 Accord v6 Touring Sedan Black on Black
post #33 of 46 Old 01-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord Man 1 View Post
So, no question now, I am going with snow tires. It also looks like downsizing really helps.

The only thing I want to know is downsizing from 17” to 16” worth the cost difference? Is there much of a noticeable difference in grip?

I want order and get installed as soon as possible. Thanks.
No difference. I have run 16" on my 9g and currently run 17" and find 0 difference although there is no way to do a back to back comparison. I live up a 1 mile long 10% grade and motor up with ease on either 16 or 17 over the years. Prior to moving up this hill, I never felt the need for snow tires on a FWD. This hill has completely changed my thinking on the topic. Once the plows, salt, and sand are out, one could get up with RWD on all seasons. Far too many times, I beat the plows (and the police who block the road) and I motor around cars sitting and spinning their front wheels stuck on the hill.

When I ran 16" I picked up a set of used steelies the tires on the Accord were way oversized because they were initially for my' 05 ODy, then used on my '04 MDX. In theory, a proper size would have been even better but even fatter and taller "wrong size" provided such superior grip, I did not notice anything in the real world. I did have to hit some gas station driveways at an angle to prevent fender touch.

A few years ago at the very top, I put my MDX in park and got out to push a car up about 100 ft. A neighbor shoveling snow came over to help and we got her going on her way. I got back in the MDX from a dead stop and drove up easily. Snow tires of either 16" or 17" work just as well as AWD. I got to work the next day and my billing clerk said "thanks for pushing me yesterday". I didn't have a clue, all I saw was a head in the car. She had a FWD Equinox.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."

post #34 of 46 Old 01-07-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
No difference. I have run 16" on my 9g and currently run 17" and find 0 difference although there is no way to do a back to back comparison. I live up a 1 mile long 10% grade and motor up with ease on either 16 or 17 over the years. Prior to moving up this hill, I never felt the need for snow tires on a FWD. This hill has completely changed my thinking on the topic. Once the plows, salt, and sand are out, one could get up with RWD on all seasons. Far too many times, I beat the plows (and the police who block the road) and I motor around cars sitting and spinning their front wheels stuck on the hill.

When I ran 16" I picked up a set of used steelies the tires on the Accord were way oversized because they were initially for my' 05 ODy, then used on my '04 MDX. In theory, a proper size would have been even better but even fatter and taller "wrong size" provided such superior grip, I did not notice anything in the real world. I did have to hit some gas station driveways at an angle to prevent fender touch.

A few years ago at the very top, I put my MDX in park and got out to push a car up about 100 ft. A neighbor shoveling snow came over to help and we got her going on her way. I got back in the MDX from a dead stop and drove up easily. Snow tires of either 16" or 17" work just as well as AWD. I got to work the next day and my billing clerk said "thanks for pushing me yesterday". I didn't have a clue, all I saw was a head in the car. She had a FWD Equinox.
Thanks so much for your experience. I will be going with the 17” snow tires on my factory rims. I just didnt want to get into the situation where I buy the tires and they dont solve my problem. That would be a big waste of money.

post #35 of 46 Old 01-08-2018, 06:42 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
If you plan to keep the Accord for even 4 years, sell the tires that came with the car, and buy snow tires, and run them on the stock rims. I sold the stock tires on my car with a few thousand miles, for less than I bought a set of used winter tires with a few thousand miles, and used the difference to pay for mounting/balancing.

Then go buy yourself a nice set of summer wheels with nice sticky tires (Or something to your budget) and run those in the summer.

One point I have not read here (And I didn't go through the links) is dedicated winter tires not only help in snowy conditions, they help in COLDER conditions. The compound is designed for better wear and traction even when its just colder.

Over the course of time, you will come to realize the benefit of dedicated purpose used tires greatly.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Daughter's car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Son's car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
post #36 of 46 Old 01-08-2018, 08:39 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Thanks so much for your experience. I will be going with the 17” snow tires on my factory rims. I just didnt want to get into the situation where I buy the tires and they dont solve my problem. That would be a big waste of money.
You're welcome. FWIW I'm running stock size winter tires on my Pacifica and they work great in the snow. You can still do stock 17" with a more narrow tread and a bit taller profile. No need to do a -1 and use 16". Tire Rack will give alternate fit sizes. I use steel or alloy wheels and keep them in the garage all mounted, balanced, and ready to install. If you don't get wheels and mount up to the stock wheels in Dec and go back to stock in April, that will cost you $160 in mount/balance fees every year. Cheaper and much more convenient to buy wheels. Additionally, if you bring your tires to Wal Mart (and perhaps some others) and they size is not listed for your car, they won't install them. I had checked already on WM website but "Corky" said if the size isn't on our list we can't install.

I bought wheels off TR and tires from Discount Tire (local store in Columbus free shipping) and took the wheels and my new TPMS sensors to have them mount and balance for me to install in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
If you plan to keep the Accord for even 4 years, sell the tires that came with the car, and buy snow tires, and run them on the stock rims. I sold the stock tires on my car with a few thousand miles, for less than I bought a set of used winter tires with a few thousand miles, and used the difference to pay for mounting/balancing.

Then go buy yourself a nice set of summer wheels with nice sticky tires (Or something to your budget) and run those in the summer.

One point I have not read here (And I didn't go through the links) is dedicated winter tires not only help in snowy conditions, they help in COLDER conditions. The compound is designed for better wear and traction even when its just colder.

Over the course of time, you will come to realize the benefit of dedicated purpose used tires greatly.

Thanks for bringing this up. We should call these "winter tires" as Tire Rack is doing. The compounds are superior in cold temps under 40F which is proven in cold braking tests.

Guys. If you store stock tires, which you will do by running winter tires, don't make the mistake I made. I learned an expensive lesson.

STORE THEM PROPERLY. In April 2017 I had blistered sidewalls on my stock Volvo tires and I blamed Continental. Wal Mart put them on (lease car so I didn't buy wheels for 2 seasons. If the bolt pattern would fit any car I had or might buy like the Subaru Legacy, I would have bought wheels) and they called to let me know 3/4 had blisters and they had to put the snow tires back on. If you think they were pulling my leg to sell me tires, think again. They didn't charge me a dime for double labor (not even for the initial mounting). 1 month ago when I had snow tires mounted on the Volvo, one had a gash in the sidewall. Sitting in my garage since April and a split, really? Again, no charge to mount it or remount the stock tire. I've never had an issue with any tire mounted on wheels, only tires without wheels. See the diagram below as to why. I stored them how I thought was correct by stacking whiCh is INCORRECT.
Attached Images
mtts60 and KW2004Accord like this.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #37 of 46 Old 01-08-2018, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
I just didnt want to get into the situation where I buy the tires and they dont solve my problem. That would be a big waste of money.
There is zero concern about that happening. Even if they didn't make a difference you are not wasting money because you will extend the life of your summer tires dramatically. No rubber goes to waste.

That said, my comment above is completely irrelevant because snow tires will "solve your problem". Book it.

2016 Touring V6 Coupe - White Orchid Pearl / Black (Canada eh)

2001 EX V6 Coupe - Midnight Blue / Tan

post #38 of 46 Old 01-09-2018, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
One of the main problems with no-season is that it becomes way too hard in winter for them to be working properly. Kal Tire in Canada actually advertise all-season as 3-season.

I wouldn't use anything that doesn't have a snowflake symbol in snow. Cops in BC on certain highways will also check for the snowflake symbol. Note that the M+S symbol is worthless nowadays, as some performance summer tires carry them as well.

If you must use one set of tires, get some all-weather tires. I have used Nokian WRG3 with food results on my Accord when I had it. They carry the proper snowflake symbol and are closer to winter tire designs. The downside is that the summer performance won't be optimal if you like driving hard. In that case, get dedicated summer and winter tires.

Another thing is that it's not good to swap tires often on the same set of rims. Not good for the rims. Get some steelies from a dealer and put winter tires on those.

In my personal experience, dedicated tires are fantastic. I was getting stuck in my own steep driveway with the no-seasons on my Accord when it lightly snowed, while the no-season tires were screeching without much throttle with my RX-8 when I was driving it in summer. Those problems went away when I purchased dedicated tires for them.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.
Hi there, I am in Surrey

I am getting a new coupe with all season 19 ContiPro, what would u recommend from Kaltire or Costco
post #39 of 46 Old 01-09-2018, 11:07 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by user828 View Post
Hi there, I am in Surrey

I am getting a new coupe with all season 19 ContiPro, what would u recommend from Kaltire or Costco
Well, I haven't used any Continental tires yet, so can't say anything about them.

Do you want a year-round set or two dedicated sets?

If you are looking for a year-round set, Nokian WRG3 all-weather is pretty good. Its design more closely resembles some winter tires. Drive my Accord through the blizzard we had last February without any problems, except a steep hill with a lot of slush at the bottom, and I think the low ground clearance of the Coupe was the problem there.

I am currently using Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 on my RX-8, but I haven't driven through any snow with it yet. It grips dry and wet ground really well as long as you use common sense.
Attached Images

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 46 Old 01-11-2018, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by user828 View Post
Hi there, I am in Surrey

You could also keep an eye out on the local Craigslist for a winter tire wheel and tire setup. They can be significantly cheaper, and I recommend having two sets as 19" winter tires are horrendously expensive. 17" wheels will go over your brakes, and you are looking for either 215/55R17 or 225/50R17 tires.

user828 likes this.
post #41 of 46 Old 01-14-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Hey guys. Wanted to report back. I got my snow tires and love them! I went to a local private tire place in my area that have a very good reputation and have been around more than 20 years. I got them asap and I wanted to go to a local place and didnt want to go with tire rack since if there was a problem with a tire the local place would take car of it and I didnt have to worry about shipping anything back and wait. The gripping is great. Can get up my hill well and the slipping is much reduced. Overall worked anout to be more expensive than I thought, but worth it. A life saver.
UnknownJinX likes this.

post #42 of 46 Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Hey guys. Wanted to report back. I got my snow tires and love them! I went to a local private tire place in my area that have a very good reputation and have been around more than 20 years. I got them asap and I wanted to go to a local place and didnt want to go with tire rack since if there was a problem with a tire the local place would take car of it and I didnt have to worry about shipping anything back and wait. The gripping is great. Can get up my hill well and the slipping is much reduced. Overall worked anout to be more expensive than I thought, but worth it. A life saver.
Glad to hear that.

Did you go 17s on OEM rims or separate tires/wheels?

Snows will give you just a little more confidence.

Enjoy the new tires.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #43 of 46 Old 01-17-2018, 08:39 AM
1st Gear

our 09 tsx and 08 accord with good all seasons sucked in the snow. Once i put snows on, they were unstoppable. I don't even attempt taking my 17 sport with the 19's out in the snow from past experience, it's just not worth it. That's why we have an older toyota sequoia for. That is what you call a beast.
post #44 of 46 Old 01-17-2018, 10:30 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz69 View Post
My bad I did not know the V6 Touring came with 17" rims. I thought they all came with 19s
The 2013-2015 Touring sedans all came with the same 17” wheels as the EX and EX-L models. 2016-2017 came with the same 19” as Sport models.

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory
post #45 of 46 Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN9thSi View Post
The 2013-2015 Touring sedans all came with the same 17” wheels as the EX and EX-L models. 2016-2017 came with the same 19” as Sport models.
My 2015 Touring V6 came with 18" wheels though?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.