9th generation Accord scary in snow - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
26Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 42 Old 01-05-2018, 12:08 PM
3rd Gear

It also has to do with tire width. Wider tires do worst in snow than skinny tires. Those 19" tires you have on there have over 9" of rubber on the road. That is a real wide tire for snow duty..

2017 TOURING Modern steel
RV6 HFPC
XLR8 j-pipe.
Borla axle back.
K-Tuner
LED swap license plate light /reverse light.
Progress 22mm rear sway bar.
Ceramic tint.
18" HPD Racing wheels for the Civic.
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 Old 01-05-2018, 12:39 PM
2nd Gear

Any car is scary in the snow with new all-seasons let alone a set with some wear on them. I regret not buying a narrower winter tire, my winter rims would allow it but the set was included with my car.

2013 Honda Accord Touring 2.4 CVT - CBP/Ivory Leather - 125,000 KM
post #18 of 42 Old 01-05-2018, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

1. The Primacy tires that came with the car suck.

2. Get snow tires. I run Blizzak WS-80's downsized to 215/60R16 and have no problems until the snow gets too deep!
Miker likes this.

post #19 of 42 Old 01-05-2018, 03:53 PM
5th Gear

My car has over 80k miles on the original tires. I am always amazed at how well it does in the snow. This season we have had a lot of ice (NW Washington near the Canadian border). I was concerned but went out a few times anyway, not a slip.

Last year we had a LOT of snow. When the snow was in the 6" or less range, I made it around fine. I was really amazed it did so well. When the snow piled higher, I took my F250 4x4.

Like others said, snows are the way to go. I have not put them on my Accord because we also a CRV which has had no problem in the snow, and I put the Blizzak WS80's on my son's Accord. It does very well with those tires.

Usually when I go out, I get the car going 25-30 mph and then apply the brakes fairly aggressively to see how slippery it is. I can then judge from there how I need to drive to keep it on the road and safe.

F1snob
'13 Accord Touring Black
2009 E92 335i Xdrive JB4 Tune
'06 6-speed Sedan with NAV Gone but not forgotten
'96 Accord EX-L 5-speed
Too many other cars to list
post #20 of 42 Old 01-05-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Thanks guys. For the ones saying it is partially related to the torque, I didnt think it was that much to cause spin. I am very light on the throttle. I agree all seasons, especially with some miles on them, are not great in the snow. I am comparing this car to my 5th gen accord. I would often drive it with all seasons and it was ok then I switched to snow tires and it was great, however the all seasons were not terrible. I cant park the car for the winter, it is my only car. I will be contacting some local tire shops to get snow tires asap, as I cant wait for online shipping.

Hopefully, the snow tires have a night and day difference and I can safely drive the car??? I would hate to buy the snows and they not make much of a difference, though I have no choice. My wheels are 17”, not 19”. I am planning on having the shop take off my all seasons and put the snows on the same rims. What would be the best course of action for the future in terms of cost and convenience, snows on the same rims or a dedicated set of snow rims?

For others indicating it might be the car itself, that is interesting. I was thinking this was a possibility, I hope not.

2014 Accord v6 Touring Sedan Black on Black
post #21 of 42 Old 01-05-2018, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

The stock Primacy tires are a nice balance between noise and handling. I like them so much I upgraded to 19" wheels with the same tire. Sure some are stickier in the summer, but these are pretty good tires for wet weather. Nothing like a little hydroplane action to tighten the sphincter.

Alas as much as I like the tires they are no match for Old Man Winter even with the weight of the V6 pushing down on them. Hence I got a set of 17" Michelin X-Ice tires on stock rims.

There's nothing like below freezing temperatures to remind you why you bought a Honda. I feel so much more secure driving a Honda in the winter than a VW and it has nothing to do with traction
post #22 of 42 Old 01-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
One of the main problems with no-season is that it becomes way too hard in winter for them to be working properly. Kal Tire in Canada actually advertise all-season as 3-season.

I wouldn't use anything that doesn't have a snowflake symbol in snow. Cops in BC on certain highways will also check for the snowflake symbol. Note that the M+S symbol is worthless nowadays, as some performance summer tires carry them as well.

If you must use one set of tires, get some all-weather tires. I have used Nokian WRG3 with food results on my Accord when I had it. They carry the proper snowflake symbol and are closer to winter tire designs. The downside is that the summer performance won't be optimal if you like driving hard. In that case, get dedicated summer and winter tires.

Another thing is that it's not good to swap tires often on the same set of rims. Not good for the rims. Get some steelies from a dealer and put winter tires on those.

In my personal experience, dedicated tires are fantastic. I was getting stuck in my own steep driveway with the no-seasons on my Accord when it lightly snowed, while the no-season tires were screeching without much throttle with my RX-8 when I was driving it in summer. Those problems went away when I purchased dedicated tires for them.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 42 Old 01-05-2018, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

People complaining about the accord in snow haven't driven a truly stiffly sprung one in snow that tends to float over snow. It's fine, more than fine with good snow tires. Don't cheap out on snows.

Also, remember this year the weather's a lot colder and there's more snow too. Below a certain temp road salt used by most cities stop working and the roads will be more slippery.

In many years of driving in Toronto I have seen countless AWD SUVs in ditches from over confident drivers not realizing how slippery it is when the snow comes. Including a memorable night drive up and down the DVP after an ice storm where I literally lost count but every single car in a ditch was an SUV. Didn't cause any issue in my FWD on good snow tires, was able to drive at the speed limit of 80 kph no problems.

I have also seen an A8 spun 180 on a overpass that I was carefully driving down in neutral in my stiffly sprung Speed 3. In the same car I also encountered an idiot in a 4matic C300 who didn't realize I was going at the safe limits, try to pass me and gas it only to fishtail and ram into the guard rails.

When your FWD car's telling you it's slippery, sometimes the conditions are just that bad, and it'd be true for all cars. Just remember that FWD slipping is a great warning to also let you know braking will suck. Something that AWD cars doesn't do and that's when people who don't engage their brains crash out in the snow.
flydon likes this.
post #24 of 42 Old 01-05-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Snow tires, without a doubt. I am doing some research on them and I see some people say going down a size from stock really helps with traction. However, I also read an article that says going down a size on modern cars with traction control/stability control is not good and you should stay with stock size.

Going down a size for =

Going down a size against =

What should I do?

post #25 of 42 Old 01-06-2018, 07:33 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord Man 1 View Post
Snow tires, without a doubt. I am doing some research on them and I see some people say going down a size from stock really helps with traction. However, I also read an article that says going down a size on modern cars with traction control/stability control is not good and you should stay with stock size.

Going down a size for =

Going down a size against =

What should I do?
From the article...
"I noticed that the problems were mainly on the Venza and Corolla, both equipped with an EPS system. Complaints about stability were resolved by simply reinstalling the original rims with the winter tires and replace the steel wheels that are one or two inches lower than the originals. "

I will attribute the stability of the drive with taller sidewall tires (-1 set) being changed back to the stiffer sidewall (OEM rims). The writer also does not state whether the return to OEM were wider snows, which they would have to be to fit OEM rims.

A shorter, wider tire WILL react differently to a taller narrower tire. Go figure !

The snows also have more squirm just based on the rubber compound versus the "all season, eco tire with hard as a rock compound" tires.

If EPS is THAT sensitive, how does the system allow for a slightly lower PSI tire on one side of the front "axle" ? EPS won't shutoff if it recognizes a different contact patch of the flat vs full PSI tire. Additionally the EPS has a variable "boost" when driving slow or at speed. Maybe, just maybe it will act unstably if the tires are OVER inflated and that patch is so minimal then it will be noticeable.

I'm also going to call the writer out as whether or not ALL 4 tires were changed. That would cause problems. Believe me a car that is as low cost as Venza or Corolla probably, I said probably, will have an owner that won't put snows all around. My parking lot can prove that. Rears are OEM rims and fronts are steelies. Oooops!

And to complete the fallacy IMHO, don't OEM's have a range of two tire sizes themselves usually? 17's to 18's or allow 19's? These change the contact patch, width, and stiffness of sidewall to a much greater extent than a snow setup. The EPS doesn't get "recal'ed" to fit the new tires !

Have used -1 set on my 13 for two seasons so far and the EPS does not go wonky nor act unstable.

Ask anyone who has used snows and didn't have EPS in years gone by and ask them if there is a difference. The squirm and "compliance" of the taller sidewall is noticeable.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #26 of 42 Old 01-06-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
From the article...
"I noticed that the problems were mainly on the Venza and Corolla, both equipped with an EPS system. Complaints about stability were resolved by simply reinstalling the original rims with the winter tires and replace the steel wheels that are one or two inches lower than the originals. "

I will attribute the stability of the drive with taller sidewall tires (-1 set) being changed back to the stiffer sidewall (OEM rims). The writer also does not state whether the return to OEM were wider snows, which they would have to be to fit OEM rims.

A shorter, wider tire WILL react differently to a taller narrower tire. Go figure !

The snows also have more squirm just based on the rubber compound versus the "all season, eco tire with hard as a rock compound" tires.

If EPS is THAT sensitive, how does the system allow for a slightly lower PSI tire on one side of the front "axle" ? EPS won't shutoff if it recognizes a different contact patch of the flat vs full PSI tire. Additionally the EPS has a variable "boost" when driving slow or at speed. Maybe, just maybe it will act unstably if the tires are OVER inflated and that patch is so minimal then it will be noticeable.

I'm also going to call the writer out as whether or not ALL 4 tires were changed. That would cause problems. Believe me a car that is as low cost as Venza or Corolla probably, I said probably, will have an owner that won't put snows all around. My parking lot can prove that. Rears are OEM rims and fronts are steelies. Oooops!

And to complete the fallacy IMHO, don't OEM's have a range of two tire sizes themselves usually? 17's to 18's or allow 19's? These change the contact patch, width, and stiffness of sidewall to a much greater extent than a snow setup. The EPS doesn't get "recal'ed" to fit the new tires !

Have used -1 set on my 13 for two seasons so far and the EPS does not go wonky nor act unstable.

Ask anyone who has used snows and didn't have EPS in years gone by and ask them if there is a difference. The squirm and "compliance" of the taller sidewall is noticeable.
So you are advocating going down a size. However, this means I will need to buy new rims and tires which works out to be about $800 at the cheapest. Whether as buying just the 17” snows and having them put on current rims will cost me around 4 to $500 dollars. How much of a difference will I see? Is it really worth it to go down a size? I might be getting rid of the car in a year or so, not sure, so how much I invest in the car matters too.

post #27 of 42 Old 01-06-2018, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

I drove last winter on 4 year old michelins in my V6 coupe, and ill never do it again, scary as hell!! Bought a set 16 inch steelies and blizzaks and will never look back, already been through 2 snow storms this year and it was a breeze!!
BenzAccord likes this.
post #28 of 42 Old 01-06-2018, 10:26 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord Man 1 View Post
So you are advocating going down a size. However, this means I will need to buy new rims and tires which works out to be about $800 at the cheapest. Whether as buying just the 17” snows and having them put on current rims will cost me around 4 to $500 dollars. How much of a difference will I see? Is it really worth it to go down a size? I might be getting rid of the car in a year or so, not sure, so how much I invest in the car matters too.
I personally would use the -1 but I have room to store four tires/rims and plan on keeping my car for years. Cost can be amortized over many years rather than full hit of the steelies and snows.

There is nothing wrong with using OEM rims and snows and they will perform just fine. MUCH better than all-seasons only. Better grip in under 45°F temps and tread pattern only helps.

I'll go with the science that says narrower tires will work better though. Taller tires also allow for the sidewall to absorb a little more abuse in the harsher environment. Think potholes, curbs, frozen packs of snow.

But that's my opinion. YMMV.

Hope that helps with your decision.
BenzAccord likes this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #29 of 42 Old 01-06-2018, 11:06 AM
6th Gear

ECON button is your friend in slippery conditions.
Miker and 15Accord like this.

2013 Accord EX-L V6 Navi Sedan - White Orchid Pearl / Ivory

Previous:
2005 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe - Satin Silver Metallic / Black
1995 Accord EX-L Sedan - Granada Black Metallic / Gray
post #30 of 42 Old 01-06-2018, 11:44 AM
3rd Gear

My bad I did not know the V6 Touring came with 17" rims. I thought they all came with 19s

2017 TOURING Modern steel
RV6 HFPC
XLR8 j-pipe.
Borla axle back.
K-Tuner
LED swap license plate light /reverse light.
Progress 22mm rear sway bar.
Ceramic tint.
18" HPD Racing wheels for the Civic.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.