2017 V6 worth extra upgrade for 2K - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
26Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 48 Old 01-03-2018, 07:52 PM
J35

Yes.

Advertisement

post #17 of 48 Old 01-03-2018, 08:34 PM
5th Gear

yes. the 4 cyl is average. I tested a 6 later and knew the gas savings wasn't worth it with the I4. I'm now shopping a vsport as a third car to offset the I4 'Meh'

post #18 of 48 Old 01-03-2018, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

No highway uses and work from home. Eh, shouldn't you be considering something like a BEV instead of a V6?

If you find yourself in situations where you need the grunt sure, that's why I got the V6. Your use case seems perfect for a BEV if range isn't the issue. Frankly if someone builds a BEV with enough range and at the right price with decent performance, it would be right for me too but alas Tesla is not delivering on the 3.

post #19 of 48 Old 01-03-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

tx guys, I checked again, its not 2k but 3400 more, will decide
post #20 of 48 Old 01-03-2018, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

Still worth it.
Knxwledge and meowcat like this.

2016 Touring V6 Coupe - White Orchid Pearl / Black (Canada eh)

2001 EX V6 Coupe - Midnight Blue / Tan

post #21 of 48 Old 01-04-2018, 09:54 AM
6th Gear

All city and no highway?

I love the V6, and the EX-L feels like a superior car in every way compared to the Sport, but if I was doing all city driving I'd be looking at the Hybrid.

On the highway the V6 keeps up, if not betters, the I4 in mpg, but in town the I4 is far more efficient.
Knxwledge and 15Accord like this.

V6s on V6s
The Following User Says Thank You to dfwxjer For This Useful Post:
user828 (01-05-2018)
post #22 of 48 Old 01-04-2018, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goto10 View Post
For 2000, I think it's worth it. The V6 is smoother, sounds better, is effortless and never leaves me wanting for more. It really is a completely different car to ME with the larger engine and this is true of just about any model by most manufacturers. I wouldn't think twice about it.

My wife wouldn't notice the difference at all and she would likely appreciate the extra mileage around town.

It's about priorities. If you list "driving experience" as one of your priorities, even in the city, get the 6.
A lot of good opinion here that I'd mirror. Even at $3,400 it's worth it to me. From your driving needs, it's not justifiable, but if it were me I'd still do it. Others' priorities could easily sway them to the 4-cylinder. In the limited places where I can exploit the extra grunt, I love the smoothness and ease of the Honda V6 - they're just so damn nice and silky. The mileage penalty is not bad either - it's not exactly a gas guzzler.

Also, white looks great on a 2017. Black looks beautiful when clean and smooth but is a PITA to keep that way. Black shows every imperfection, scuff, scratch and dirt. Have you ever owned one? If not, it's another thing that's not for most people except the most fastidious who wash and wax weekly.

I say drive both and then decide.
goto10 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to V6 6MT For This Useful Post:
user828 (01-05-2018)
post #23 of 48 Old 01-04-2018, 06:28 PM
J35

Quote:
Originally Posted by user828 View Post
tx guys, I checked again, its not 2k but 3400 more, will decide
Yes! Have you driven both? I suggest that you do
goto10 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knxwledge For This Useful Post:
user828 (01-05-2018)
post #24 of 48 Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knxwledge View Post
Yes! Have you driven both? I suggest that you do
I think I will
post #25 of 48 Old 01-05-2018, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

I had a 13 ex I4 and now a 17 exl v-6...... I prefer the v-6 and yes it’s worth it to me.

2017 coupe v6 OWP
The Following User Says Thank You to Donniet53 For This Useful Post:
user828 (01-05-2018)
post #26 of 48 Old 01-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Out of Control

The best thing about the V6 is the effortless, smooth power delivery and plenty of extra power available at highway speeds for passing and hills. There is no upgrade you could do to the 4 banger to get the V6 power. Best of all, you wouldn't have to deal with that darn boring CVT which IMO makes the 4 banger not even worth considering. Test drive both and if you don't want the V6, get something else without that CVT. MPG's are decent. My V6 easily matches and usually surpasses our 4 banger 15 CRV in the MPG department.
BenzAccord likes this.

2009 CRV LX
2014 Accord EXL-V6
2015 CRV Touring
2017 Ridgeline RTS
The Following User Says Thank You to 14v6 For This Useful Post:
user828 (01-05-2018)
post #27 of 48 Old 01-05-2018, 10:19 AM
2nd Gear

You get power and reliability without worry. V6 is the way to go. If you don't mind adding a turbo or supercharger the sport SE w/6mt is a really nice move.

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment. 2017 Accord Coupe EX-L, V6
The Following User Says Thank You to I800C0LLECT For This Useful Post:
user828 (01-05-2018)
post #28 of 48 Old 01-05-2018, 03:15 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I had the V6 in my 03 Accord. I never had any problems with my V6 automatic, but I over-maintained the hell out of it. Many people had failures, and I was never comfortable with the way Honda automatics shifted. Even my 92 Accord automatic shifted hard. I also never liked the idea of VCM, and think it would have been an issue for me. I changed my own timing belt on the 03, so that wasn't a big issue, but it's nice knowing this engine has a timing chain, so I don't have to worry about the added maintenance. I consider the V6 a luxury I don't really need at this point.

All this contributed to me trying the I4 with CVT. It took some getting used to, but I like how smooth the CVT is. Sure, it's gutless from a stop, but I rarely need to accelerate like a bat-out-of-hell from red lights or stop signs. The CVT does very well at passing cars out on the highway, and would probably be pretty close to my 03 in that regard. Buying the I4 this time saved me a few thousand on the purchase price, and I probably get about 5 more MPG with the 16 than I did with the 03, so that's a bonus too.

There are good reasons to want the V6, but there are good reasons not to.
salcuta likes this.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far
post #29 of 48 Old 01-06-2018, 06:16 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by user828 View Post
Only issue is, its white color - I would have loved black. I don't drive on the highway, ( Vancouver BC doesn't really have big highways ) and I work from home at-least for now. But from Engine POV, is it massive difference in performance and features? so stick with 4cyl or upgrade?
You must like to wash your car everyday. I can't stand black cars, they're like high maintenance women.
post #30 of 48 Old 01-06-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
I had the V6 in my 03 Accord. I never had any problems with my V6 automatic, but I over-maintained the hell out of it. Many people had failures, and I was never comfortable with the way Honda automatics shifted. Even my 92 Accord automatic shifted hard. I also never liked the idea of VCM, and think it would have been an issue for me. I changed my own timing belt on the 03, so that wasn't a big issue, but it's nice knowing this engine has a timing chain, so I don't have to worry about the added maintenance. I consider the V6 a luxury I don't really need at this point.

All this contributed to me trying the I4 with CVT. It took some getting used to, but I like how smooth the CVT is. Sure, it's gutless from a stop, but I rarely need to accelerate like a bat-out-of-hell from red lights or stop signs. The CVT does very well at passing cars out on the highway, and would probably be pretty close to my 03 in that regard. Buying the I4 this time saved me a few thousand on the purchase price, and I probably get about 5 more MPG with the 16 than I did with the 03, so that's a bonus too.

There are good reasons to want the V6, but there are good reasons not to.

Call me crazy but I drove both again today and frankly I found the CVT to be much better and smoother. I took the V6 and stepped on it a but, nothing super great about it but again, I got bif of traffic and this is basically Vancouver, I wont get those long awesome American highways -if I go on a road trip, I would rent a powerful car anway
So sticking with the black and also found the only white V6 they had which I tried today had abt 132 kms on it

For kicks, I tried to search entire Canada - only 1 V6 black at a dealer 500 kms from me and maybe 1-2 on the other side of the country..abs none left

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.