2Likes
  • 1 Post By Miker
  • 1 Post By SAS
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-02-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
SAS
1st Gear

Positive Battery Terminal Connection

I had to replace the battery on my 2015 EX-L V6 this past weekend. While doing so I noticed that the positive terminal connector is somewhat corroded (I cleaned it up as best I could) and also very flimsy. Nonetheless everything seems to be working OK. If the tested voltage from the battery post is the same as from the connector, can I safely assume that I have adequate contact?

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
A little wire brush is good for cleaning those.

Did you grease the posts and add the felt rings to them before hooking everything back up? That helps corrosion from forming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #3 of 11 Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS
1st Gear

I used a battery terminal cleaner spray, a wire brush (part of the battery terminal brush), a Dremel and some sandpaper. With all that said, some parts of that copper connector were still not shiny copper. I did use the felt rings and some battery sealant spray after attaching the connectors. (I have seen conflicting opinions on treating the posts before connecting the clamps.) In any event the clamp does seem flimsy. Should I replace it?

post #4 of 11 Old 01-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
As long as you can tighten it onto the post and it stays in place, I wouldn't replace it.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #5 of 11 Old 01-02-2018, 12:18 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
In any event the clamp does seem flimsy. Should I replace it?
Flimsy? I guess you mean the somewhat lightweight stamped metal terminals vs. the perhaps old style heavy cast terminals or clamps. If so, you can relax. They're fine. You've already discovered that they are hard to clean. I like to use a little dielectric grease on mine. A couple ounce tube of the stuff has lots of uses and lasts forever. Sounds like you did a good job on cleaning things up.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #6 of 11 Old 01-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Out of Control

If you are seeing copper on the connector the acid has eaten the plating from the connector. That is not a bad thing, but you need to clean it thourly and make sure you neutralize the battery acid with baking soda. Using the felt pads helps to keep the acid off the connectors as well as the spray sealant. As long as the connector can tighten down properly you should be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #7 of 11 Old 01-02-2018, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

I would try a little wire brush to test it.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
I had to replace the battery on my 2015 EX-L V6 this past weekend. While doing so I noticed that the positive terminal connector is somewhat corroded (I cleaned it up as best I could) and also very flimsy. Nonetheless everything seems to be working OK. If the tested voltage from the battery post is the same as from the connector, can I safely assume that I have adequate contact?
If you want to really measure the tightness of the connection for a good electrical connection, place one of the voltage probes (+) of the DVM on the post itself and the other voltage probe (-) of the DVM on the terminal connector (stamped metal clamp).

What you are doing is measuring the voltage drop across that connection.

If it's tight connection it will measure 0.1 volts DC or less, but if it exceeds about 0.4-0.5 VDC there is a higher resistance present and therefore indicates a loose connection. EDIT: You'll need a load on the battery and turning on the headlights is a good load. Engine not necessarily running either. The headlights cause current to be drawn through the connection.

You can do this on either posts/clamp of the battery. It works for connectors and ground points throughout the car.

If you care too, loosen the clamp and allow it to loosely clamp the post (movement is evident on the clamp) and measure again.

You'll find you don't need to gorilla the clamp on the post to get it to measure 0.1 vdc or less.

Finally, to answer your question, YES if both points you probe measure the same you are golden.
flydon likes this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
The Following User Says Thank You to Miker For This Useful Post:
flydon (01-03-2018)
post #9 of 11 Old 01-02-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS
1st Gear

I've tested with the meter and the connection is just fine. I didn't realize that the connector was originally tinned copper and that the corrosion (and my rather aggressive cleaning) had removed the plating. I'm guessing the plating was intended to prevent oxidation, but I'm hoping that the spray sealant will prevent that.
Miker likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-05-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS
1st Gear

Well apparently the sealant does not prevent the bare copper from turning green! Although I still have good connectivity, I think I'll change the terminal connector to a copper compression connector that is plated or one of the plated set screw connectors. I attached pictures below. I have two questions: Is one style better than the other in terms of connectivity and corrosion resistance? What size is the stock battery cable in a 2015 V6?
Attached Images
post #11 of 11 Old 01-11-2018, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS
1st Gear

I'll post this as an update in case anyone in the future needs to know the cable sizes on a 2015 V6. There are two 4 gauge cables. After removing the old connector with a Dremel cutting wheel, I discovered that I did not have the correct size connectors, so I took my wife's car and headed to the nearest auto parts store, Autozone. Here's what I found and installed, and so far so good.
Attached Images
The Following User Says Thank You to SAS For This Useful Post:
Miker (01-11-2018)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.