how long to let engine cool down in order to install rv6 downpipe? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 12-12-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
My First Post

how long to let engine cool down in order to install rv6 downpipe?

Hey guys im new to these forums so please forgive me but I just received my rv6 downpipe and I cant install it at my apartment. the closest safe location where i have access to is about a 15 minute 9 mile drive. how long should i wait for the engine to cool down before burning myself on the downpipe? I waited an hour the other day and it was still hot. Any advice or recommedations?

Also i have a 6 speed manual 16 sport with 41k miles so the bolts that connect the pcd to the exhaust are pretty rusted im hoping pb blaster works well. any tips/tricks would be appreciated thanks everyone happy holidays

Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-12-2017, 10:47 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Not sure if you live in Miami or Los Angeles- or in St. Paul, MN, but you want the engine STONE COLD before you start removing or tightening bolts. If not, you run the risk of stripping threads- and a 1 hour job is now a 3 hour job. Experienced techs in exhaust shops know how to use a torch to heat up the area around a bolt, how to use impact drivers and air tools, etc. to minimize damage. Hand tools may actually be a disadvantage in hot exhaust work.

Stone cold could be 3 hours....

As for loosening rusted bolts- many forums swear by certain products. A mixture of acetone AND automatic transmission fluid is always the highest rated (Google it if you don't believe me). Good planners may add drops each day for two weeks before the work is done. One week may work too. Heck, some get lucky with less time than that.

You know who is not "lucky" in removing rusted fasteners? ME! If I have two weeks, I will have to add drops everyday for two weeks. PB Blaster is better than nothing, but there are better products (Google it).

dfwxjer likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
ltxi (12-12-2017)
post #3 of 29 Old 12-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Mechanical Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1rv View Post
Hey guys im new to these forums so please forgive me but I just received my rv6 downpipe and I cant install it at my apartment. the closest safe location where i have access to is about a 15 minute 9 mile drive. how long should i wait for the engine to cool down before burning myself on the downpipe? I waited an hour the other day and it was still hot. Any advice or recommedations?

Also i have a 6 speed manual 16 sport with 41k miles so the bolts that connect the pcd to the exhaust are pretty rusted im hoping pb blaster works well. any tips/tricks would be appreciated thanks everyone happy holidays
Welcome aboard. For your i4, it should take 2-3 hours. The stock cat gets very hot so you need to give it some time to cool down. You can put a fan in front of the car to speed up the process, don't focus the fan on the engine bay, put it in front of the bumper. Obviously leave the hood wide open. Spray PB blaster on the bolts and let it sit the night before you install the downpipe. 6 point sockets are crucial for these bolts, do not use 12 point sockets. I used a breaker bar to break the bolts loose but impact will make it super easy. Make sure to put anti-seize on the bolts when you reinstall them.

Don't worry, its not difficult to swap the downpipe.

2017 Honda Odyssey TE - VCмuzzleг - OEM Footwell LED Mod - Rear LED Reflectors - H&R Springs - Rear Airlift Kit -
2017 Honda Accord EX-L
2014 Honda Civic EX-L
2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L (USDM AF!) VCмuzzleг - Catless Downpipe/Pre Cat Deletes - Third Cat Delete - Ported Runners - Custom K&N SRI With Cold Air Scoop - TB Coolant Bypass - Thermal Gaskets - BC Coilovers - Dyno Tuned -

post #4 of 29 Old 12-12-2017, 10:57 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
6 point sockets are crucial for these bolts, do not use 12 point sockets.
Excellent point!
The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
ltxi (12-12-2017)
post #5 of 29 Old 12-12-2017, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post

Make sure to put anti-seize on the bolts when you reinstall them.
Oops. When I installed my PCD, the only thing I applied anti-seize to was the downstream O2 sensor. Should I have applied it to every bolt including the lower three studs that came with the PCD? Also, with winter around the corner, do you think I should reinstall the PCD using anti-seize on everything this time? Definitely donít want anything seizing together in case I need to swap back.

OP - these guys above nailed it. Itís better to wait and do it the right way rather than rush and cause a headache down the line. I let my car sit overnight and waited until the morning to install mine.

2017 WOP Accord Sport 6MT
Suntek 18% all around/35% on windshield
Avery Dennison Gloss Black Roof Wrap
Manzo Polycarbonate Window Visors
Morimoto XB 5500k HIDs
Full JDM ASTAR LED conversion (interior/exterior)
JDM ASTAR Switchbacks
JDM ASTAR LED Amber Rear Turn Signals
DIYCarModz PNP Resistors
Injen CAI
RV6 PCD
Megan Racing Test Pipe
Tsudo Catback Exhaust
Ktuner
OPT7 Aura LED Interior Lighting Kit
VViViD XPO Interior
Mishimoto Shift Knob
V1 Radar
Rexing V1 Dashcam
post #6 of 29 Old 12-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Mechanical Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17wop6mtcr2 View Post
Oops. When I installed my PCD, the only thing I applied anti-seize to was the downstream O2 sensor. Should I have applied it to every bolt including the lower three studs that came with the PCD? Also, with winter around the corner, do you think I should reinstall the PCD using anti-seize on everything this time? Definitely donít want anything seizing together in case I need to swap back.

OP - these guys above nailed it. Itís better to wait and do it the right way rather than rush and cause a headache down the line. I let my car sit overnight and waited until the morning to install mine.
Would be a good idea to do that especially for you folks in the snow.

2017 Honda Odyssey TE - VCмuzzleг - OEM Footwell LED Mod - Rear LED Reflectors - H&R Springs - Rear Airlift Kit -
2017 Honda Accord EX-L
2014 Honda Civic EX-L
2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L (USDM AF!) VCмuzzleг - Catless Downpipe/Pre Cat Deletes - Third Cat Delete - Ported Runners - Custom K&N SRI With Cold Air Scoop - TB Coolant Bypass - Thermal Gaskets - BC Coilovers - Dyno Tuned -
post #7 of 29 Old 12-13-2017, 12:42 AM
Out of Control

What the OP is doing may be a violation of state and federal emissions tampering laws and will contribute to air pollution. Just ask the Chinese what it is like to breath dirty air.
Attached Images

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM

Last edited by Graycar; 12-13-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: add image & "federal"
post #8 of 29 Old 12-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
What the OP is doing may be a violation of state and local emissions tampering laws and will contribute to air pollution. Just ask the Chinese what it is like to breath dirty air.
He would definitely be in violation of Federal law, he just needs to know that he may end up with a check engine light that may not ever turn off. Lots of threads on this, but I wish him well on his endeavors to go faster. Not sure it is worth the money, time and trouble.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #9 of 29 Old 12-13-2017, 11:05 AM
6th Gear

Installing an aftermarket downpipe violates federal law? Does it remove a cat or something?

V6s on V6s
post #10 of 29 Old 12-13-2017, 11:10 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwxjer View Post
Installing an aftermarket downpipe violates federal law? Does it remove a cat or something?
Yes, it removes 1 of 2 cats

2015 Honda Accord Sport:

Performance: Ktuner, RV6 Downpipe, Takeda Axleback, Takeda SRI, 17mm RSB, Horn Upgrade

Looks: Custom Front Grille, OEM Sport Bodykit, 25% Tint, 5k XD HIDs, 5k exLED Interior, Trunk, and License Plate Bulbs, 5k LED All Over, Various Chrome Trim Color Matched

My Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 29 Old 12-13-2017, 11:13 AM
6th Gear

Oh, does it provide any possible increase in power/mpg?

V6s on V6s
post #12 of 29 Old 12-13-2017, 11:20 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Oh, does it provide any possible increase in power/mpg?
lil bit of power, but still needs a good tune to get most out of it.

2015 Honda Accord Sport:

Performance: Ktuner, RV6 Downpipe, Takeda Axleback, Takeda SRI, 17mm RSB, Horn Upgrade

Looks: Custom Front Grille, OEM Sport Bodykit, 25% Tint, 5k XD HIDs, 5k exLED Interior, Trunk, and License Plate Bulbs, 5k LED All Over, Various Chrome Trim Color Matched

My Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 29 Old 12-13-2017, 11:21 AM
6th Gear

I've always assumed these downpipes were a waste of time, and now it's been confirmed.

OP: can you return this without wasting an afternoon ruining your car?

V6s on V6s
post #14 of 29 Old 12-13-2017, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
I've always assumed these downpipes were a waste of time, and now it's been confirmed.

OP: can you return this without wasting an afternoon ruining your car?

I don't believe they're a waste......... they free up some air flow with the bigger pipe and no cat.

2015 Honda Accord Sport:

My Channel:
post #15 of 29 Old 12-13-2017, 11:30 AM
6th Gear

I'm willing to bet the "gains" are negligible at best.

V6s on V6s
The Following User Says Thank You to dfwxjer For This Useful Post:
ltxi (12-13-2017)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.