Rear Jack Stand Point for flat top jack stands - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-10-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Rear Jack Stand Point for flat top jack stands

I have ESCO 3 Ton jackstands that have an about 4 inch diameter horizontal flat surface to seat to the car.

I need to put my 4 mounted snow tires and rims on my 2017 Sport SE and I found an area in the front that is flat where I can put the jackstands, but in the rear, I only see the pinch weld. These jack stands can work with the pinch weld, but I don't like using the pinch weld and there is always the risk of bending or scraping the paint off.

Anyone know of any rear area (besides the center jack point) that will accomodate two flat top jack stands???

Last edited by namegoeshere; 12-10-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 04:01 AM
4th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestek View Post
I have ESCO 3 Ton jackstands that have an about 4 inch diameter horizontal flat surface to seat to the car.

I need to put my 4 mounted snow tires and rims on my 2017 Sport SE and I found an area in the front that is flat where I can put the jackstands, but in the rear, I only see the pinch weld. These jack stands can work with the pinch weld, but I don't like using the pinch weld and there is always the risk of bending or scraping the paint off.

Anyone know of any rear area (besides the center jack point) that will accomodate two flat top jack stands???
There's an area of the pinch weld in the rear specifically designed for lifting. You can't miss it.

2017 EX-L V6. WOP. 28% Solarguard. Thinkware F50 Dashcam. Otherwise, Bone stock.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 05:29 AM
Out of Control

Below is a photo of one of the four reinforced pinch-weld jacking points on the Accord. This pinch-weld jacking point is recommended in the Owner's Manual when raising one wheel at a time, as when changing a wheel and tire. Although not in the Owner's Manual, this is where jack stands should be placed to avoid damage to the body. The Honda dealers place each lift-arm foot of the shop lift on each of the pinch-weld jacking points.

NOTE: In order to use jack stands at the pinch-weld jacking points for raising both rear or front tires off the floor, you will have to use the center jacking points in the front and rear of the car.

Also shown is my home-made floor jack pad which I made out of hard wood. The car's pinch-weld jacking point pad fits in the slot which is shallow enough so that the adapter does not touch the rocker panel. I believe you can buy ready-made floor jack pads on the aftermarket.
Attached Images

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM

Last edited by Graycar; 12-11-2017 at 05:48 AM. Reason: add info

post #4 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 AM
2015 Accord Touring I4

Nice, I use a hockey puck on my jack... cause I'm Canadian eh.

Graycar and griff19 like this.

2015 Honda Accord Sedan Touring NAVI I4 CVT White Orchard Pearl
2011 Toyota Venza Premium V6 AWD 6AT Blizzard Pearl
2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
2005 Acura TSX I4 5AT Premium White Pearl (Sold)
2002 Honda Civic Coupe SiG Veloz I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
post #5 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 05:49 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
If you are only changing the wheel/tire, there is no reason to put the car on stands - as long as you are not crawling under the car for some other reason.
Graycar likes this.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Daughter's car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Son's car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
post #6 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 07:53 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
If you are only changing the wheel/tire, there is no reason to put the car on stands - as long as you are not crawling under the car for some other reason.
Perhaps OP wants just to rotate tires. I am finding having all wheels jacked up makes servicing brakes and bleeding them much easier...I know I can do all that by jacking one wheel up at a time.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 08:19 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelnod View Post
Perhaps OP wants just to rotate tires. I am finding having all wheels jacked up makes servicing brakes and bleeding them much easier...I know I can do all that by jacking one wheel up at a time.
^^ A lesson in contradicting ones self in the same statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestek View Post
I need to put my 4 mounted snow tires and rims on my 2017 Sport SE and I found an area in the front that is flat where I can put the jackstands, but in the rear, I only see the pinch weld.
If I can read English correctly, pretty sure it sounds like he is swapping summer with winter wheels/tires, which can be done one wheel/tire at a time, which does NOT necessitate the need for jack stands.

2015 V6-6MT Coupe
post #8 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 08:32 AM
6th Gear

Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion. Mine is that unless it's an emergency situation I wouldn't care to change even an individual tire without some type of additional support like jackstands.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
The Following User Says Thank You to ypsibird For This Useful Post:
BLCKFLSH (12-11-2017)
post #9 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 08:46 AM
5th Gear

This might be a better option than trying to adapt a hockey puck (that will take some work too, if you wanted to create a slot):

2017 Accord EX I4 w. Sensing Sedan
2005 Accord LX I4 Sedan > the one with a $2500 transmission rebuild
post #10 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 AM

One corner at a time:
- Loosen lug nuts enough
- Use hydraulic jack and jack up that corner at the tow hook or pinch weld
- Take lug nuts off, take existing wheel off, put new wheel on, put lug nuts back on, tighten enough
- Lower car and torque lug nuts to spec

Why do you need to put jack stands under when changing a wheel? Rotating tires sure, not when changing wheels.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #11 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

Jack on the rear tow hook and then you can do the back all in one shot. No need for jack stands when changing tires.

Don't floorjack on the pinch welds unless you have a pinch weld adapter for your floorjack. It'll crush them otherwise.

Lift points:

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
One corner at a time:
- Loosen lug nuts enough
- Use hydraulic jack and jack up that corner at the tow hook or pinch weld
- Take lug nuts off, take existing wheel off, put new wheel on, put lug nuts back on, tighten enough
- Lower car and torque lug nuts to spec

Why do you need to put jack stands under when changing a wheel? Rotating tires sure, not when changing wheels.
{bold added}

I never use jack stands when rotating tires.....just do one wheel at a time using the space-saver spare (if you have one).

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #13 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 10:04 AM
6th Gear

I'm in agreement with an earlier post using the frame jack points. Easier to jack half the car in one go than do each corner at a time. I use this method when switching winter<>summer tires. For tire rotations getting the whole car off the ground makes more sense.

The pinch weld on this car appears to be extremely sturdy. I doubt jacking at this point would bend it, even without one of the hockey pucks assuming the jack has a flat surface.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #14 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 10:33 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
Because anything you jack up can fall. If the car falls when changing a wheel you're not going to get crushed and killed, but you can certainly be injured. The car can also be damaged by the fall. And it's really inconvenient to have your car sitting on the ground. Now how are you going to lift it? Admittedly the main reason to use jack stands is to not get killed, the secondary reasons are more than worthwhile in my view.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
The Following User Says Thank You to ypsibird For This Useful Post:
BLCKFLSH (12-11-2017)
post #15 of 21 Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
The pinch weld on this car appears to be extremely sturdy. I doubt jacking at this point would bend it, even without one of the hockey pucks assuming the jack has a flat surface.
Come back and tell us how that works out for you. I can guarantee it won't end pretty. Pinch welds ARE NOT jacking points.

2015 V6-6MT Coupe
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.