Brand New 2017 Accord EX-L V6 - Broken Timing Belt at 5000 KM - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
106Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 139 Old 12-10-2017, 10:48 AM
BRWNFLSH now

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutee View Post
The fact about honda's known reliability is history, long gone; it is unreal nowadays, they are behind, used fake metals, I guess, or what do i know; maybe Zayzonk knows better. Most people, including me, assume its reliability is to be the same as from decades back, and that is no longer the case. Honda has fallen behind the top reliability list, and that is fact. Once the car is bought, it is tough to get your money back; any dealer out there will promise you the world when you buy, but when it comes to problems, they don't know you, never heard your name, don't recall anything you talk about. Unless you are rich, drop that crap in the feces hole, and buy another car. Your best bet right now is Toyota or Lexus. Look it up yourself and see if what i said is wrong. Look at Sears products as an example; they used to last your lifetime. It is a shame a 2017 Honda car fails in the middle of the street; POS if it was my 2017 of any car; waiting for 2 hours for the tow truck to come is insane. That is what you get for free road service when they throw that in with the purchase. Did you miss the part where they said "Free with all day waiting". But, I think that's what it is if it happened on the weekends or after hours. At least you were lucky that no other motorists were yelling to "move the piece of crap out the way, don't block the traffic, and go buy a new car".

Wait, they are going to do something to it, then said "it's normal"; you probably turned it off accidentally, got panic, and didn't know how to start the car; do their dancing tunes and send you on your way. Yeah, all cars have problems; that's right; so "Poor QA" is not so poor. What happened to their engineers. I thought they know what they are doing. I guess, no human is perfect too. Shtt happens...
Actually, the new cars are more reliable than they were 25 years ago. My 92 was a great car, but it had more issues than my 03 did. People talk about the early Accords like they were perfect, and even the owners of early Accords have selective memory, when it comes to the issues they had. The transmission computer went bad, the windows would drag, and the interior door handles would split in half. Just to name a few of the issues. The only thing the 03 Accord needed was a power steering pump, and that cost a lot less than the transmission computer on the 92. I expect the 16 Accord to be just as reliable as the 03.
Any car company makes a few lemons, but Honda makes less lemons than most IMO. People seem to expect perfection from Honda, but no car company is perfect, including Toyota.

MackDaddy and ImagioX1 like this.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
Advertisement

post #17 of 139 Old 12-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Dsclmr:DIY YourOwnRisks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman214 View Post
This is the reason for the slow service: "Currently Honda Roadside Assistance contracts with CAA (the Canadian equivalent of AAA) for roadside assistance, and the service is extremely slow."

CAA and in the USA AAA contracts with local tow companies, but they only get $6.00 to $10.00 for a CAA/AAA service call. No incentive to hustle a new car, which is under warranty, back to the dealer. The tow company know before they head out that they are not going to be able to sell a battery, or do mechanical work on the car.

If have other work that makes them money, they do that first before they go for the CAA/AAA call.
Thank you for sharing. This is exactly what it is. If it wasn't dispatched by the dealer's free service, those tow trucks will run everyone over, chasing to the scene to get your car towed before you blink. Weekends or off hours are fine too, prime service with prime rates.

post #18 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 03:28 AM
4th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Sorry to hear your problem. I hope you will get your problems resolved to your satisfactory. The fact about honda's known reliability is history, long gone; it is unreal nowadays, they are behind, used fake metals, I guess, or what do i know; maybe Zayzonk knows better. Most people, including myself, assume its reliability is to be the same as from decades back, and that is no longer the case. Honda has fallen behind the top reliability list, and that is fact. Once the car is bought, it is tough to get your money back; any dealer out there will promise you the world when you buy, but when it comes to problems, they don't know you, never heard your name, don't recall anything you talk about. Unless you are rich, drop that crap in the feces hole, and buy another car. Your best bet right now is Toyota or Lexus. Look it up yourself and see if what i said is wrong. Look at Sears products as an example; they used to last your lifetime. It is a shame a 2017 Honda car fails in the middle of the street; POS if it was my 2017 of any car; waiting for 2 hours for the tow truck to come is insane. That is what you get for free road service when they throw that in with the purchase. Did you miss the part where they said "Free with all day waiting". But, I think that's what it is if it happened on the weekends or after hours. At least you were lucky that no other motorists were yelling to "move the piece of crap out the way, don't block the traffic, and go buy a new car".

Wait, they are going to do something to it, then said "it's normal"; you probably turned it off accidentally, got panic, and didn't know how to start the car; do their dancing tunes and send you on your way. Yeah, all cars have problems; that's right; so "Poor QA" is not so poor. What happened to their engineers. I thought they know what they are doing. I guess, no human is perfect too. Crap happens...

It would be helpful if you could post your problems where new prospect buyers can search, find, and be aware of the problems before they buy a new car; and if it broke down a block from the dealership, it won't break their nerves or heart attack; they should know new car break down is normal; even though I never heard such thing is mentioned from the dealers when they sell new cars.
Are you like, 12 years old?
ImagioX1 likes this.

2017 EX-L V6. WOP. 28% Solarguard. Thinkware F50 Dashcam. Otherwise, Bone stock.

post #19 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayzonk View Post
I think I'll experience similar issues with similarly priced cars. I'm thinking it's time to pay the premium price and get a premium car. Perhaps Lexus or Cadillac. Not sure on Caddy reliability.
What makes you think paying more means better reliability?! Some luxury cars have the worst reliability ratings and the value drops to 50% of their original within a year.

I can think of a few reasons why your car died in the middle of an intersection and it's a simple fix.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #20 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 06:29 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
What makes you think paying more means better reliability?! Some luxury cars have the worst reliability ratings and the value drops to 50% of their original within a year.

I can think of a few reasons why your car died in the middle of an intersection and it's a simple fix.
Many luxury brands *cough!* Mercedes! *cough!* BMW! *cough!* aren't worth owning once the warranty expires.
Itsjohnboo likes this.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L HFP V6 M6 in WOP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich
post #21 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 06:34 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
Sic'em, boy. When you are done, go trade in that jalopy for a Dodge. Any Dodge.
Dodge? My last two cars were challengers. The last one a 16 scatpack. Both cars had issues with the uconnect. The scatpack developed a whine in the rear end after 3,000
Miles. They were a blast to drive but, just like most cars they are built by robots and people.

2017 coupe v6 OWP
post #22 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 06:54 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donniet53 View Post
Dodge? My last two cars were challengers. The last one a 16 scatpack. Both cars had issues with the uconnect. The scatpack developed a whine in the rear end after 3,000
Miles. They were a blast to drive but, just like most cars they are built by robots and people.

I just had a charger for a rental and I didnt really like the fit and finish of the car. Plus blind spots are horrible. And the car is so heavy it has crazy body roll around corners.
The only thing I liked about the Dodge brand is there touchscreen uconnect is very nice and easy to navigate. It reminds me of driving my Dads old Lincoln Town cars of the 90's era. (or even his buick roadmaster)

Of note: I got the car with bald rear tires so it made me think it was rented by a kid that was doing smokeshows in it.
Donniet53 likes this.

Former:
1984 Olds Cutlass(1st car)
1991 Taurus wagon (LOL)
1995 Mitsu eclipse- GSX
2002 Honda Civic(RIP AUTO-TRANS)
2008 Honda Accord LX (Traded-Oil burner)

Current:
2007 Honda Accord EX-L(His)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L(Hers)
post #23 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 07:03 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Crickets from the OP. Curious as to what the issue was.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

post #24 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 07:51 AM
6th Gear

Few months into ownership, dad was driving to an errand. Somehow he managed to press the start/stop button while waiting at a light. As expected, the car turned off and wouldn't restart. It didn't occur to him to put it into neutral first (¿?). Mind you, dad is almost 80. Anyhow, it just so happened there was a cop behind him who assisted with restarting the car.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #25 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 09:55 AM

I mean, one small incident, he wants to dump and go after the company. Be glad that you don't own a BMW or Mercedes where people regularly pay in upwards of 50k+ for the car that breaks down in odd electrical problems with less than 50k miles on the clock.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #26 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Your best bet right now is Toyota or Lexus.
Well, reliability doesn't matter if you will end up crashing them because you fall asleep from the boredom.

They are as boring as they are reliable, unless we are talking about the Toyobaru or RC.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #27 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOrchid View Post
Good luck with that. Why not wait to see what they find out about the car and how they handle the repair before acting like an over-privileged pouty jerk?

Yeah, neither of those brands EVER have any issues.

I, for one, would not be the least bit surprised. But if that were to be the case, I'm sure we'll never hear about it.
Oh, you'll hear, and you're all wrong. The timing belt broke and the engine is toast. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post

No simple fix. See above. Blown engine due to broken timing belt.

In the 'old' days, GM used to let the Oldsmobile engine blocks sit for a year once they were machined, to ensure that everything was made within tolerance. The Chevs and the GM's were not. This didn't reduce the repair/reliability, but it did add some longevity to the life of the car. You're right, I doubt there's a car manufacturer to date that actually does anything 'better' to keep their cars from failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatard View Post
Why do I have the feeling this is going to turn out to be the OP ran out of gas?
Nice try. Not even close. See above.

My question now is whether the car will still operate as well as it did as one from the factory would. For example, I don't know what has to come off or go in because of the new engine. With Toyota Tacoma trucks, for example, a new engine has to go in from underneath. ie the cab has to be separated from the frame in order to install it. I'm sure this is bound to lead to leaks, rattles, etc.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (9th gen)
2017 Accord Coupe EX 18" wheels
Michelin A/S 3+ tires

Last edited by RickBlaine; 12-11-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Das Merge! 4 posts become 1! Multi-Quote feature is your friend!
post #28 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 01:34 PM
6th Gear

Garage
How much of a racket did it make when it shut down? Or when you tried to restart it?

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L HFP V6 M6 in WOP

Rich
post #29 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 02:22 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayzonk View Post
Oh, you'll hear, and you're all wrong. The timing belt broke and the engine is toast. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Ouch. That is a catastrophic failure. A car with 3K miles should not need an engine replaced. I think your concerns are definitely valid. Getting the vehicle replaced will be challenging. Might have to get a lawyer involved.

I suppose us 4 cyl users are slightly better off with a timing chain, but those too can fail.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #30 of 139 Old 12-11-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
Actually, the new cars are more reliable than they were 25 years ago. My 92 was a great car, but it had more issues than my 03 did. People talk about the early Accords like they were perfect, and even the owners of early Accords have selective memory, when it comes to the issues they had. The transmission computer went bad, the windows would drag, and the interior door handles would split in half. Just to name a few of the issues. The only thing the 03 Accord needed was a power steering pump, and that cost a lot less than the transmission computer on the 92. I expect the 16 Accord to be just as reliable as the 03.
Any car company makes a few lemons, but Honda makes less lemons than most IMO. People seem to expect perfection from Honda, but no car company is perfect, including Toyota.
I think the really disquieting fact is that I see no consensus ANYWHERE on what a high quality, reliable automobile might be. I hear mentions of Toyota/Lexus, but there's never any resounding agreement. It's a almost a non-identifiable thing. I think that it must be a result of global [CRAP] sourcing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOrchid View Post
How much of a racket did it make when it shut down? Or when you tried to restart it?
Lots. For lack of clarity in the moment, I'd describe the sound as "trying to start, coughing, unhappy, then dying quickly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
Ouch. That is a catastrophic failure. A car with 3K miles should not need an engine replaced. I think your concerns are definitely valid. Getting the vehicle replaced will be challenging. Might have to get a lawyer involved.

I suppose us 4 cyl users are slightly better off with a timing chain, but those too can fail.
I don't know if I should push having the car replaced. As I said, I'm not totally sure of the consequences of dropping a new engine into the car, in terms of performance/handling/reliability after the fact. If the car will be totally fine, then it's not a problem. If I'm left with problems, I won't accept it. And as if I can trust the dealer or Honda to give me an unbiased answer. Need an unbiased opinion.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (9th gen)
2017 Accord Coupe EX 18" wheels
Michelin A/S 3+ tires

Last edited by namegoeshere; 12-11-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: merger
Advertisement

Tags
first world problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.