Brand New 2017 Accord EX-L V6 - Broken Timing Belt at 5000 KM - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
106Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 139 Old 12-09-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

Brand New 2017 Accord EX-L V6 - Broken Timing Belt at 5000 KM

My new 2017 EX-L V6 just shut down and died in the middle of an intersection today and wouldn't restart. I have 5000km on this car, and am totally surprised by what's happened. Not only that, but I called Honda Roadside Assistance and had to wait for TWO HOURS for the tow truck to show up and take my car to the dealer, Westgate Honda in London, Ontario.

I called the dealer after waiting for roadside assistance for 45 minutes, and asked the dealer if they could call another tow truck company. Currently Honda Roadside Assistance contracts with CAA (the Canadian equivalent of AAA) for roadside assistance, and the service is extremely slow. There was no blizzard or bad weather of any type today, so there was no good reason for the holdup. The dealer told me that there was nothing they could do, despite the fact that I bought both a new Accord and an Odyssey from that dealer last month. I find this treatment extremely poor, and will be looking for my money back on this car.

I have been driving for 30 years now, buying new and used vehicles along the path of life. Other than an old carbeurated Dodge Dart that I drove from the prairies to the Colorado Rocky Mountains, I've never had a major failure in a car ever. I don't think Honda is the company it used to be, despite all of the usual claims by the dealer about reliability and resale. I'm going after Honda and the dealer for this, and I won't relent. Will keep the thread updated.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (9th gen)
2017 Accord Coupe EX 18" wheels
Michelin A/S 3+ tires
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 Old 12-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 757 Posts
Sic'em, boy. When you are done, go trade in that jalopy for a Dodge. Any Dodge.

cookieman214 and Jayzonk like this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimijam For This Useful Post:
cookieman214 (12-10-2017)
post #3 of 139 Old 12-09-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
Sic'em, boy. When you are done, go trade in that jalopy for a Dodge. Any Dodge.
Funny thing is that my last Dodge minivan was in better shape at 120,000km than the Honda at 65,000. Leaking inside the door, wobbly steering, brakes gone, harsh ride....

Michelin A/S 3+ tires

post #4 of 139 Old 12-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 757 Posts

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #5 of 139 Old 12-09-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayzonk View Post
I have been driving for 30 years now, buying new and used vehicles along the path of life. Other than an old carbeurated Dodge Dart that I drove from the prairies to the Colorado Rocky Mountains, I've never had a major failure in a car ever. I don't think Honda is the company it used to be, despite all of the usual claims by the dealer about reliability and resale. I'm going after Honda and the dealer for this, and I won't relent. Will keep the thread updated.

I'm done with all things Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayzonk - 10-31-2017, 03:11 PM View Post
I guess my feeling is that all of the manufacturers are pretty efficient, and they can all build a car of a certain quality at a certain price. You can hardly fault Honda for anything more than you could Kia or Toyota or Hyundai or Volkswagen.

If cars are being built to a specific price, my feeling is that Honda likely fits that price with more value/reliability than the other brands, which is backed up by a second place top resale value for the Accord (Kelly Blue Book).
cookieman214, jimijam and scar_cle like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to namegoeshere For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 139 Old 12-09-2017, 05:19 PM
CVT

Quote:
I don't think Honda is the company it used to be, despite all of the usual claims by the dealer about reliability and resale. I'm going after Honda and the dealer for this, and I won't relent. Will keep the thread updated.
You'll experience similar issues with other manufactures too unfortunately. Nonetheless, report back on how things materialize.

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
post #7 of 139 Old 12-09-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
You'll experience similar issues with other manufactures too unfortunately. Nonetheless, report back on how things materialize.
I think I'll experience similar issues with similarly priced cars. I'm thinking it's time to pay the premium price and get a premium car. Perhaps Lexus or Cadillac. Not sure on Caddy reliability.

Michelin A/S 3+ tires
post #8 of 139 Old 12-09-2017, 10:08 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
The only American cars I really care about are muscles/ponies and 'Vette/Viper. I just don't think American family cars are that great.
d1backwoods likes this.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #9 of 139 Old 12-10-2017, 03:08 AM
3rd Gear

Why do I have the feeling this is going to turn out to be the OP ran out of gas?

2017 Touring V6 Sedan Obsidian Blue Pearl - My 12th Honda
post #10 of 139 Old 12-10-2017, 04:59 AM
6th Gear

There really is not much the dealer can do about getting the CAA to send a tow truck faster.
cookieman214 likes this.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamdog For This Useful Post:
post #11 of 139 Old 12-10-2017, 08:17 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
I find this treatment extremely poor, and will be looking for my money back on this car.
Good luck with that. Why not wait to see what they find out about the car and how they handle the repair before acting like an over-privileged pouty jerk?

Quote:
I think I'll experience similar issues with similarly priced cars. I'm thinking it's time to pay the premium price and get a premium car. Perhaps Lexus or Cadillac. Not sure on Caddy reliability.
Yeah, neither of those brands EVER have any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatard View Post
Why do I have the feeling this is going to turn out to be the OP ran out of gas?
I, for one, would not be the least bit surprised. But if that were to be the case, I'm sure we'll never hear about it.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L HFP V6 M6 in WOP

Rich
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOrchid For This Useful Post:
post #12 of 139 Old 12-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Dsclmr:DIY YourOwnRisks

Sorry to hear your problem. I hope you will get your problems resolved to your satisfactory. The fact about honda's known reliability is history, long gone; it is unreal nowadays, they are behind, used fake metals, I guess, or what do i know; maybe Zayzonk knows better. Most people, including myself, assume its reliability is to be the same as from decades back, and that is no longer the case. Honda has fallen behind the top reliability list, and that is fact. Once the car is bought, it is tough to get your money back; any dealer out there will promise you the world when you buy, but when it comes to problems, they don't know you, never heard your name, don't recall anything you talk about. Unless you are rich, drop that crap in the feces hole, and buy another car. Your best bet right now is Toyota or Lexus. Look it up yourself and see if what i said is wrong. Look at Sears products as an example; they used to last your lifetime. It is a shame a 2017 Honda car fails in the middle of the street; POS if it was my 2017 of any car; waiting for 2 hours for the tow truck to come is insane. That is what you get for free road service when they throw that in with the purchase. Did you miss the part where they said "Free with all day waiting". But, I think that's what it is if it happened on the weekends or after hours. At least you were lucky that no other motorists were yelling to "move the piece of crap out the way, don't block the traffic, and go buy a new car".

Wait, they are going to do something to it, then said "it's normal"; you probably turned it off accidentally, got panic, and didn't know how to start the car; do their dancing tunes and send you on your way. Yeah, all cars have problems; that's right; so "Poor QA" is not so poor. What happened to their engineers. I thought they know what they are doing. I guess, no human is perfect too. Crap happens...

It would be helpful if you could post your problems where new prospect buyers can search, find, and be aware of the problems before they buy a new car; and if it broke down a block from the dealership, it won't break their nerves or heart attack; they should know new car break down is normal; even though I never heard such thing is mentioned from the dealers when they sell new cars.
post #13 of 139 Old 12-10-2017, 09:37 AM
6th Gear

Was any reason given for the lengthy tow truck wait considering good weather?

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #14 of 139 Old 12-10-2017, 10:20 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
Was any reason given for the lengthy tow truck wait considering good weather?
This is the reason for the slow service: "Currently Honda Roadside Assistance contracts with CAA (the Canadian equivalent of AAA) for roadside assistance, and the service is extremely slow."

CAA and in the USA AAA contracts with local tow companies, but they only get $6.00 to $10.00 for a CAA/AAA service call. No incentive to hustle a new car, which is under warranty, back to the dealer. The tow company know before they head out that they are not going to be able to sell a battery, or do mechanical work on the car.

If have other work that makes them money, they do that first before they go for the CAA/AAA call.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
The Following User Says Thank You to cookieman214 For This Useful Post:
johnjohn15 (12-15-2017)
post #15 of 139 Old 12-10-2017, 10:31 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
What Car Company has the best Roadside Assistance?

Cadillac is still in business?

KW2004Accord likes this.
Advertisement

Tags
first world problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.