Brand New 2017 Accord EX-L V6 - Broken Timing Belt at 5000 KM - Page 5 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
106Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 08:04 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Good news OP! Id still press for an extension on the Powertrain to CYA.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement

post #62 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 08:27 AM
4th Gear

Glad to hear the dealership is taking care of you. That is definitely frustrating and annoying to have to deal with on a brand new vehicle but at least the dealership is making it right and keeping you up to date with the process along the way.

I have to make a side note though and say just because someone buys a brand new car doesn't mean they won't have issues. I work at a GMC/Buick/Cadillac dealership and I see first hand brand new vehicles come off the truck with problems. My mom purchased a 2016 Yukon Denali and within 15k miles it's already been back twice for issues with the transmission. The next official "fix" would be to replace the torque converter.

Stick with Honda. Though I see the newer cars have some teething issues they still build a better car than most of the competition.

Mine - 2017 Accord EX | Modern Steel Metallic
Aunt - 2014 Accord V6 Touring | White Orchid Pearl
post #63 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

These 3 posts are merged!! Please use your pal the multi-quote feature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
Given your experience with Toyota and Lexus, why did you go with Honda? My perception is that Lexus and Toyota are a good bet for long term reliability.
Yes, I was curious about this as well.It's too bad that Honda doesn't have some seething monster of an engine that I could have dropped into the car instead. I'm not sure what kind of upgrades I can do to this V6, but I saw posts about modifying some of the four cylinders, like the K20A or the B series engines.Of note, I just got an opinion from a guy who works at a dealership that I should be demanding my money back. I guess I don't really know what the factory would do differently than the local shop for reassembly at this point. I suspect that the engine is assembled and the heads are attached by hand at the dealership, just like they would be at the dealer. Perhaps the bolts are torqued to a more certain spec at the factory? Or they are checked by another process after it's complete? I really don't know what I would gain by having this done at the factory. If it needed to be done by the factory, I think Honda would have to specify that the car came back to them.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (9th gen)
2017 Accord Coupe EX 18" wheels
Michelin A/S 3+ tires

Last edited by RickBlaine; 12-14-2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: DAS MERGE! THREE POSTS BECOME ONE! MULTI-QUOTE FEATURE IS OUR FRIEND!

post #64 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayzonk View Post
It's too bad that Honda doesn't have some seething monster of an engine that I could have dropped into the car instead. I'm not sure what kind of upgrades I can do to this V6, but I saw posts about modifying some of the four cylinders, like the K20A or the B series engines.
V6 Accords have enough trouble getting a grip off the line as it is. Those turbo J35s out there basically have a 4-speed - first two gears do nothing but make tire smoke.

Hopefully, they can give you a new engine. My 8th Gen still had the original belt and that thing has 90k miles on it when I sold it. Just saw it a couple of days ago, still running strong and well.

2008 Honda Accord Coup EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #65 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Of note, I just got an opinion from a guy who works at a dealership that I should be demanding my money back. I guess I don't really know what the factory would do differently than the local shop for reassembly at this point. I suspect that the engine is assembled and the heads are attached by hand at the dealership, just like they would be at the dealer. Perhaps the bolts are torqued to a more certain spec at the factory? Or they are checked by another process after it's complete? I really don't know what I would gain by having this done at the factory. If it needed to be done by the factory, I think Honda would have to specify that the car came back to them.
Torqued bolt specs are torqued bolt specs, whether at MAP or the dealer. The engine heads are torqued down by hand at Anna just as they would be at the dealer. The dealer has all the tech docs on hand as well, so rest assured it will be fixed just as it was assembled.

And as far as "checks" at MAP. The engines are dropped into the bay, wired up, filled with fluids and once they reach the end of the line, fired right up and driven off. They head to a lane where a dyno awaits. Quick run on the dyno to highway speeds where they check the transmission, lights, brakes, etc. Then they are driven to a water booth for leaks, then onto a small track outside for a quick drive where they listen for odd noises and squeaks. From there to the lot where they await transportation to dealers.
08EX-L and Jayzonk like this.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

post #66 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

I did speak with a parts guy at a domestic dealership who said I should demand my money back, but he didn't get into anything too specific.
At this point, I'm not really sure if there's much of a problem with having the local dealer put the engine together, as opposed to having it put together at the factory. I imagine assembling the engine components and attaching the heads is likely done by hand at the factory as well, if it involves centering the gasket and tightening the bolts. If that's the case, the dealer should be able to accomplish the same thing. I'm wondering if the difference might be that tightening down all of the bolts might be done to a more consistent amount of torque than what could be done at the shop, but I really don't know. Then of course, there might be a few checks after the assembly, but I really don't know.

Michelin A/S 3+ tires
post #67 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 12:49 PM
6th Gear

Let me give you some perspective. A parts guy's opinion is about as relevant as some rando on an internet forum. Parts guys don't have magic insight as to how problems are resolved.

They're $12k deep in a replacement engine. You won't be getting your money back for the car.
Jayzonk likes this.

V6s on V6s
post #68 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 01:26 PM
4th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
Given your experience with Toyota and Lexus, why did you go with Honda? My perception is that Lexus and Toyota are a good bet for long term reliability.
That is a very good question. I have owned Toyota's in the past and I'm currently driving (my Wife is driving) our 5th Lexus. I, personally, am driving my 13th Honda. I don't know what to say except that I've always loved them, fan boy, if you will. I guess it all started when my best friend's Mom bought a brand new 1979 Accord. I fell in love with that car because it was truly an absolute jewel of a car. There was nothing like it at the time, it's closest competitor a Chevy Chevette. Please!! It had the smoothest four cylinder and the slickest shifting MT on the planet.
As luck would have it, my first Honda was a 1979 Accord. The rest, as they say......................
14v6 and Jayzonk like this.

2017 EX-L V6. WOP. 28% Solarguard. Thinkware F50 Dashcam. Otherwise, Bone stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to meowcat For This Useful Post:
ltxi (12-14-2017)
post #69 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

Thumbs up Jayzonk!!!! Multi-quote feature is your friend! Embrace it!

DAS MERGE! THREE POSTS BECOME ONE! MULTI-QUOTE FEATURE IS OUR FRIEND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowcat View Post
That is a very good question. I have owned Toyota's in the past and I'm currently driving (my Wife is driving) our 5th Lexus. I, personally, am driving my 13th Honda. I don't know what to say except that I've always loved them, fan boy, if you will. I guess it all started when my best friend's Mom bought a brand new 1979 Accord. I fell in love with that car because it was truly an absolute jewel of a car. There was nothing like it at the time, it's closest competitor a Chevy Chevette. Please!! It had the smoothest four cylinder and the slickest shifting MT on the planet.
As luck would have it, my first Honda was a 1979 Accord. The rest, as they say......................

kind of like me and my first Honda powered toy - an ATC110 three wheeler. I didn't have any experience at the time to call it smooth or great, but it was my first big red toy. lolMy aunt had one of the first Accords as well. Silver. I think they were all silver! I was nine at the time, so I didn't know what to think, but I did remember thinking about how different it was from other cars. Even at that age, I did have a notion that the car industry was going to change. I remember her having the brochure for the car. Wished she had've kept it. My aunt was raving about the gas savings more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
V6 Accords have enough trouble getting a grip off the line as it is. Those turbo J35s out there basically have a 4-speed - first two gears do nothing but make tire smoke.

Hopefully, they can give you a new engine. My 8th Gen still had the original belt and that thing has 90k miles on it when I sold it. Just saw it a couple of days ago, still running strong and well.

Brand new engine is there. Just waiting for a few other parts, of which, I'm not sure, are missing. A little bummed about the no-matchy-matchy on the numbers. Even though it's not a collector's car, it's still my car, and it's got enough cache for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08EX-L View Post
Let us know how it drives after the repair, that was my biggest concern when they pulled my transmission after 6 months of ownership. I was really concerned about vibration and shaking, but my car is smooth as silk.
This is my main concern. Getting it back and THINKING it's running well until something else breaks because there WAS something forgotten along the way...

Michelin A/S 3+ tires

Last edited by RickBlaine; 12-14-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: DAS MERGE! THREE POSTS BECOME ONE! MULTI-QUOTE FEATURE IS OUR FRIEND!
post #70 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 03:38 PM
5th Gear

I had the short block replaced on my 2017 Accord V6 only 500 miles. Just curious what was the build date of your 2017?

2007 EX-L
2016 Tundra SR5 DC
2017 EX-L V6
post #71 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasbus337 View Post
I had the short block replaced on my 2017 Accord V6 only 500 miles. Just curious what was the build date of your 2017?
I'll find out.Based on the technician's comment that the two front cylinders were starved for oil due to the camshaft's lack of clearance,I'm wondering if any of the mechanics in the room have an educated guess as to what the problem is.Once I hear from Honda, we can look back at our guesses and compare to the actual....Thanks,Jason

Michelin A/S 3+ tires
post #72 of 138 Old 12-15-2017, 01:43 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
I'll find out.Based on the technician's comment that the two front cylinders were starved for oil due to the camshaft's lack of clearance,I'm wondering if any of the mechanics in the room have an educated guess as to what the problem is.Once I hear from Honda, we can look back at our guesses and compare to the actual....Thanks,Jason
Lack of camshaft clearance doesn't make sense given that is on top of the piston and pistons are lubricated from underneath. You don't want oil in the combustion process. Might be VCT related, or could be fuel delivery into the combustion chamber was not adequate enough or bad valve clearance which caused the top of the pistons to get hot since fuel is used to cool off the top of pistons, but anytime there is not a complete combustion process to ECU spec, it will throw a code because it will detect poor emissions. So honestly no clue.
post #73 of 138 Old 12-15-2017, 02:15 PM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeggernaut View Post
Lack of camshaft clearance doesn't make sense given that is on top of the piston and pistons are lubricated from underneath. You don't want oil in the combustion process. Might be VCT related, or could be fuel delivery into the combustion chamber was not adequate enough or bad valve clearance which caused the top of the pistons to get hot since fuel is used to cool off the top of pistons, but anytime there is not a complete combustion process to ECU spec, it will throw a code because it will detect poor emissions. So honestly no clue.
A lack of oil to the camshaft(s), followers and valves would most certainly be a problem and would cause engine failure at some point.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L HFP V6 M6 in WOP

Rich
post #74 of 138 Old 12-15-2017, 02:31 PM
5th Gear

Im guessing one of the cams seized due to lack of oil to the cam bearings for whatever reason, perhaps a metal shaving blocking an oil passage like the tech mentioned. That would have snapped the timing belt and caused some pistons to hit some valves.
post #75 of 138 Old 12-16-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

I'll call Honda this week to see if they will give me an answer. I suspect I'm going to get a brief, near-meaningless response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasbus337 View Post
The sticker on the upright portion of the door panel just says "01/17" but nothing more specific. Am I looking in the right place? Did the dealer do anything special for you?

Michelin A/S 3+ tires

Last edited by namegoeshere; 12-17-2017 at 04:23 PM. Reason: bacon and eggs
Advertisement

Tags
first world problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.