Brand New 2017 Accord EX-L V6 - Broken Timing Belt at 5000 KM - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
106Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 138 Old 12-13-2017, 04:23 AM
Roll Tide!

How about a thread title chase to "Timing belt snapped at 5000km, need new engine" salcuta or RickBlaine ? This would make it easier for all the other victims with snappend belts and uber low mileage find this thread.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #47 of 138 Old 12-13-2017, 07:51 AM
4th Gear

If your timing belt actually snapped on your car, it won't start because there is a 99% chance the pistons smashed violently into your valves and you would know/hear it. The engine is under factory warranty, and Honda will replace the entire engine free of charge. They aren't going to waste their time trying to fix the piston, bend/damaged head/valves, damaged connecting rods, and possible bent/warped crankshaft and scared cylinders walls if metal pieces broke off.

post #48 of 138 Old 12-13-2017, 07:59 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
^^ Not to mention, they probably want that whole engine to determine exactly what happened, so they can correct any issues that may have occurred during the manufacturing process.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Daughter's car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Son's car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe

post #49 of 138 Old 12-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Jimmy Rustler

LOL at all the folks demanding a new car. Give Honda and OPs dealer a chance.

Would I be upset at the timing belt failure, absolutely! Would I be hesitant to have a new car back after an engine replacement, no. But just make sure you're covered. What I would press for is an extension on the factory warranty. Maybe shadow the CPO warranty to 100K miles.

Bottom line, I put my trust in the Honda mechanics and warranty process. Good luck OP.

And a timing belt failure, that's a very, very rare failure. Heck I've seen OE timing belts, water pumps and tensioners press on past 200K.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

post #50 of 138 Old 12-13-2017, 08:31 AM
2006 Accord EX

This incident is the earliest that I've ever heard of a timing belt breaking on a Honda product.
If this is entirely due to the belt, and not an actual technician screw up...Honda should hopefully learn from this, and do research to see if a different vendor was involved than similarly built cars that came off that line.
Hopefully they take care of you.

2006 Accord EX Coupe...164k and counting..
post #51 of 138 Old 12-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Out of Control

Oh no Jayzonk! It will now be a non-matching numbers car. What will happen when you take it to a Mecum auction 30 years from now when everyone wants an old-school big motor Accord?

But seriously, sorry for your struggle. A snapped timing belt at 3,000 miles is freak. However if you think a new motor will hurt trade-in value later, like a major accident on a Carfax report, raise that issue now. It’s your money later.
cookieman214 likes this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to Baldeagle For This Useful Post:
cookieman214 (12-23-2017)
post #52 of 138 Old 12-13-2017, 04:41 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayzonk View Post
Alleged?? I'll take some tomorrow morning when I pick up my loaner....just for you.

I would also like to add that it's somewhat frustrating when you're looking for good advice when you have to battle completely unwarranted skepticism at the same time. I'd like to thank the posters who've added some really good information. Given Rattman's recent comments, I'm going to consider fighting Honda on this, as his comments on follow-on issues that could arise following the engine change confirm my suspicions that the car may not ever be the same after the engine change.
Understand and appreciate....but this cab removal thingy is so far out of the box wrt normal as to warrant extreme skepticism.

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
post #53 of 138 Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 PM
5th Gear

Lawyer can put court order preventing dealer from destroying incriminating / damaging evidence against Honda or whoever sold you this car AS new.

Have you seen the timing belt? or they will change the story if you start asking questions?

I lost my car engine on 2008 Accord ExLnavi due to Hondas poor design of the VTC actuator and its malfunction. What I was told is that intake valve that broke from its keeper because of the excessive vibrations (caused by the faulty VTC) and Honda dealer at that time was not able to duplicate the symptoms.

I was given factory new 2011 version K24Z3 which was a revised version to address oil consumption issues from the piston rings and carbon buildup, at 50Kmiles under warranty.

But it worked out for me at the time since car was already driven 50K miles. I got all new fluids with new engine in factory warranty and written honda care plan up to 120k with zero deductible. Dead engine was sent to honda TRD for analysis and above is info on failure cause was 2nd hand info from dealer advisor.

Mind you this happened when japan was hit by earthquake and tsunami. Honda Co America did not make decision until japan said ok and took close to 10weeks in dealer accord courtesy car.

I did get a lot of leaks afterwards from cam cover, VTC solenoid o ring, VTEC o ring gaskets. Transmission also leaked at speed sensor. Front wheel alignment was totally off and took 3-4 visits and arguing to get it right. They also damaged the upper ball joint seal of the upper control arm but I didn't bother since it not a real load bearing structure.

By the way, Honda used to be known for Double Wishbone suspension but they did away from it to Mac Pherson struts since 2014 with very very poor suspension calibration and it causes outer and inner of the front tires wears out first even if you are OCD at you tire pressures
Jayzonk likes this.
post #54 of 138 Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

Multi-quote feature is your friend! Embrace it!

I visited the dealer today, and feel a WHOLE LOT BETTER about letting the dealer fix the car. The dealer took me into the shop bay to see the car and talk to one of the technicians. As for the problem, the technician said that the camshaft didn't have enough clearance, which led to a starvation of oil in the front two cylinders. He's not quite sure, but he said that the team has been in contact with Honda engineers, who are taking the problem very seriously. The old engine will be in the hands of Honda. The technician speculated that it may have been a metal filing that was blocking the flow of oil, but he's unsure. He reassured me that the car will be absolutely perfect when I get it back, and that I will be 100% satisfied. He discussed ensuring that the wheels will be aligned, for example.

I know there's a lot of tongue-in-cheek with the non-matching numbers comment, but it does irk me a bit that it will now be a non-numbers matching car. Not really sure if that whole numbers matching thing is even done anymore. However, I'm not convinced that Accord V6's, or any regular cars of this day and age, will have any enduring value. Any comments?

Photos to follow. Sorry if they're not the best, but I was taking up shop time, so I didn't want to be too intrusive.

The new short block (pic#3). Of note, the value of the parts required by Honda exceeded $12,000.

New Head (pic#4)

A few shots of "evidence" of my car being repaired (pic #5, #6). The 18" Honda Accord Sport wheels are visible in my Avatar, I believe, to all the naysayers....

Overall, I'm feeling very confident now, in both Honda Canada (and Worldwide?) and the dealership that the problem will be resolved. What I'm really happy about is the fact that Honda isn't just going to fix my car, but it appears as if they are going to analyze the old engine, determine what happened, and then take that knowledge right to either the designers or the factory floor, which is what inspires me with confidence in Honda. It's not the fact that my car had a problem, but how Honda is dealing with it. There is a serious amount of genuine concern at both Honda Canada and the dealership, and to me, this is the hallmark of a good automobile manufacturer.
My first motorbike was either a '79 Honda XR80 or an '80 XR 80. I had it for a few months, but the crankshaft bent or broke after a few months of relatively light use. The part was ordered by the retailer, and it was fixed. It did take a couple of months, as parts shipping from Japan in those days took a little longer than nowadays, but the bike was fixed, and a full explanation of the problem was given. So this second episode of a Honda problem tells me that Honda embraces problems and deals with them well, and this part of their culture has remained, despite the changes in the car industry over the years. This is why I'm still happy with Honda - it's not that I had a problem, but how it was handled. (The Roadside Assistance is another story!)

On another note, I wanted to say that the underside of the car looked tidy, and well-done. There was a good undercoating on the floor of the unibody, for both protection and rust. It just looked well done. The heat shield for the exhaust also looked substantial and well-placed, Maybe I'm an untrained eye, but my thoughts were that the Accord is a well-engineered, WELL-BUILT car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattmann View Post
Lawyer can put court order preventing dealer from destroying incriminating / damaging evidence against Honda or whoever sold you this car AS new.

Have you seen the timing belt? or they will change the story if you start asking questions?

I lost my car engine on 2008 Accord ExLnavi due to Hondas poor design of the VTC actuator and its malfunction. What I was told is that intake valve that broke from its keeper because of the excessive vibrations (caused by the faulty VTC) and Honda dealer at that time was not able to duplicate the symptoms.

I was given factory new 2011 version K24Z3 which was a revised version to address oil consumption issues from the piston rings and carbon buildup, at 50Kmiles under warranty.

But it worked out for me at the time since car was already driven 50K miles. I got all new fluids with new engine in factory warranty and written honda care plan up to 120k with zero deductible. Dead engine was sent to honda TRD for analysis and above is info on failure cause was 2nd hand info from dealer advisor.

Mind you this happened when japan was hit by earthquake and tsunami. Honda Co America did not make decision until japan said ok and took close to 10weeks in dealer accord courtesy car.

I did get a lot of leaks afterwards from cam cover, VTC solenoid o ring, VTEC o ring gaskets. Transmission also leaked at speed sensor. Front wheel alignment was totally off and took 3-4 visits and arguing to get it right. They also damaged the upper ball joint seal of the upper control arm but I didn't bother since it not a real load bearing structure.

By the way, Honda used to be known for Double Wishbone suspension but they did away from it to Mac Pherson struts since 2014 with very very poor suspension calibration and it causes outer and inner of the front tires wears out first even if you are OCD at you tire pressures
I'm surprised that you got several leaks afterward. Were they resolved? Cause? Insufficient torque on bolts?
Attached Images
08EX-L likes this.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (9th gen)
2017 Accord Coupe EX 18" wheels
Michelin A/S 3+ tires

Last edited by RickBlaine; 12-19-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: DAS MERGE! FOUR POSTS BECOME ONE! MULTI-QUOTE FEATURE IS OUR FRIEND!
post #55 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 04:06 AM
4th Gear

Garage
Good to hear that you're feeling better about the repair. Hey, we all know that no car is perfect, but, we here, on DA know that Honda is about as close as you can get.
In all lightheartedness, Honda, in fact, can screw a car together better than any car manufacturer today, and that is no joke.
Don't worry about a numbers matching engine. Believe me, from birth to death, no one will ever check to see if the numbers match on your car.
Sorry for your woes but I'm glad you got it all worked out.

2017 EX-L V6. WOP. 28% Solarguard. Thinkware F50 Dashcam. Otherwise, Bone stock.
post #56 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 04:51 AM
2006 Accord EX

So, at this point, the cause of the problem, if I understand your post correctly, was more of an assembly error at the factory vs bad timing belt??
Interesting...

2006 Accord EX Coupe...164k and counting..
post #57 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 06:39 AM
6th Gear

Good news.

I have always considered Honda to be an engine company, and engineering (as opposed to marketing) is high on their list. I am pleased, but not surprised at the response you got from the dealership and from Honda.
dfwxjer likes this.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
post #58 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowcat View Post
Good to hear that you're feeling better about the repair. Hey, we all know that no car is perfect, but, we here, on DA know that Honda is about as close as you can get.
In all lightheartedness, Honda, in fact, can screw a car together better than any car manufacturer today, and that is no joke.
Don't worry about a numbers matching engine. Believe me, from birth to death, no one will ever check to see if the numbers match on your car.
Sorry for your woes but I'm glad you got it all worked out.
Given your experience with Toyota and Lexus, why did you go with Honda? My perception is that Lexus and Toyota are a good bet for long term reliability.

2009 CRV LX
2014 Accord EXL-V6
2015 CRV Touring
2017 Ridgeline RTS
post #59 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 07:30 AM
6th Gear

Glad to hear about more positive dealership experiences. I've had nothing but excellent service at the 4 dealerships I've used over the last ~5 years.

V6s on V6s
post #60 of 138 Old 12-14-2017, 07:52 AM
2015 Accord Touring I4

Let us know how it drives after the repair, that was my biggest concern when they pulled my transmission after 6 months of ownership. I was really concerned about vibration and shaking, but my car is smooth as silk.

2015 Honda Accord Sedan Touring NAVI I4 CVT White Orchard Pearl
2011 Toyota Venza Premium V6 AWD 6AT Blizzard Pearl
2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
2005 Acura TSX I4 5AT Premium White Pearl (Sold)
2002 Honda Civic Coupe SiG Veloz I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
Advertisement

Tags
first world problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.