First drive in the snow - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
36Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 69 Old 12-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Many years of Honda under my belt and was unpleasantly surprised to discover how bad MXV4s were in the snow. All before with A/S Michelins had been adequate okay. For me, this was just a simple annoyance. Live in snow country, but have a 4x4 for bad winter weather use. If I'd had to depend on the Accord day-to-day winter I'd changed out the tires right out of the box.
I've yet to find any all season worth anything in the snow.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
Advertisement

post #17 of 69 Old 12-09-2017, 06:30 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman214 View Post
i have no idea why anyone would want their engine to break just by driving in snow.
vvvvv

Attached Images

Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #18 of 69 Old 12-09-2017, 06:40 PM
CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
There are a handful of all seasons that perform exceedingly well in he snow, Dunlap, Kumho, Pirelli, and Yokohama still make some.

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
The Following User Says Thank You to seldomseen For This Useful Post:
ltxi (12-10-2017)

post #19 of 69 Old 12-09-2017, 09:41 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
In my experience, all good tires are biased towards one condition. Most all-season tires are "jacks of all trades, masters of none". At best, they are mediocre in any given condition, but forget about spirited driving in the summer and getting around swiftly in the snow. Some of us call them "no-season" for a reason. The only advantage they may hold is the long thread life, but on the flip side, that means not as good of a grip.

If you want something that you can run year-round and perform well in snow, try all-weather tires. Nokian WRG3 is a good example of it. It's more biased towards winter driving, though, so the summer performance isn't that great.

If you have a garage, buy a set of steelies and run 2 sets of wheels.

What you want to look for in good snow tires is the snowflake symbol. M+S is shown to be worthless nowadays, seeing how some summer performance tires have it.
II Kings 9:20 likes this.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 69 Old 12-09-2017, 10:41 PM
3rd Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseMBA View Post
First snow in San Antonio since 1985. Parking sensors and collision sensor were freaking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I had been doing some LYFT driving and it just started snowing hard as I don't know what. They didn't cancel school or anything so traffic was jacked up everywhere so I decided to head home. Seems like the 19's handled pretty good, passed by so many accidents and people were driving like idiots as usual.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2016 Accord Sport w/Honda Sensing
post #21 of 69 Old 12-09-2017, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
I have Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season. Performs surprisingly well in snow and on ice being all season (and slightly performance oriented). Back in high school, I would always be the first one out of the neighborhood (6am), these tires got me through 5 inches of snow (slush, powdered, wet snow) on the road all the time (good old lake effect snows). Very minimal traction control and ABS interventions needed.

p.s. comparisons are made against Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread and Dunlop SP Sport 7000
scar_cle likes this.

2010 Accord LX Sedan (99k)

Crosstour Gauge Cluster
TL Non-SH-AWD RSB
K&N Drop-in Filter
Thule Aerobar Roof Rack

WOP:
OEM EX trim front shock tower brace
post #22 of 69 Old 12-09-2017, 11:35 PM
6th Gear

"....Driving like idiots".... Can't fix stupid.

I learned to drive on a big rwd mid 80's sedan ('84 caprice). Didn't have winter/snow tires... Just big donuts (225/75/15 if I remember). We survived winter using lots of common sense.
WhiteOrchid and lmacmil like this.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #23 of 69 Old 12-09-2017, 11:40 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
This will be the 3rd winter for our '15 accord. With the goodyear tires no less. I can't say it's excellent, but it's not terrible either. The car is driveable in the snow but common sense is required. You're giving too much throttle or braking too late if traction control/abs is kicking in.

I have dedicated winter tires for the G (summer only tires don't work at all, even with as little as 1/4" of snow). Same concept applies. The car accelerates and brakes fine in the snow, but will still go wide if turning too fast through snow. AWD might have been better, but that's ok. I don't need to lug around extra weight the other 8-9 months of the year.
Summer tires also use rubber compounds that are only useful above about 40F. Below that your wheels turn into ice blocks. Snow tires in addition to having tread that grabs snow will use a rubber that stays pliable in sub-freezing.

Random somewhat related story, whatever tires come stock on 9th Gen civics....complete and utter trash in any sort of snow or difficult condition (maybe Gooyear somethings). I thought my friend was BS-ing me when saying how bad they were until we switched seats and I could feel them letting go with barely any snow on the road. Had to chain up way earlier than expected, annoying every other car with better tires and AWD. ("Why is someone from AZ chaining up a car?" Answer: ski trip)

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #24 of 69 Old 12-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
In my experience, all good tires are biased towards one condition. Most all-season tires are "jacks of all trades, masters of none". At best, they are mediocre in any given condition, but forget about spirited driving in the summer and getting around swiftly in the snow. Some of us call them "no-season" for a reason. The only advantage they may hold is the long thread life, but on the flip side, that means not as good of a grip.

If you want something that you can run year-round and perform well in snow, try all-weather tires. Nokian WRG3 is a good example of it. It's more biased towards winter driving, though, so the summer performance isn't that great.

If you have a garage, buy a set of steelies and run 2 sets of wheels.

What you want to look for in good snow tires is the snowflake symbol. M+S is shown to be worthless nowadays, seeing how some summer performance tires have it.
Like others have mentioned, good stories about all seasons doing great in the snow (try it with RWD) and I have similar experiences until 2001 when I moved into my current house. ALL of the yang I was telling friends about "all seasons are all you need if you have FWD and I live in Ohio" was null and void when I moved up the mile long 10% grade I live on now. All seasons are entirely inadequate.

We had our first snow yesterday. I just mounted up my steelies with Nokian Nordman 7 SUV on the Pacifica tonight and last night, I mounted up the alloys and Dunlop Wintersports on the Accord.

I had the Altimax Arctics put on the S60 (lease car, not buying wheels with an odd bolt pattern I'll never use on another car) today and one had a hole in the sidewall after only 1 season. I wonder if something is going on. I store them flat and stacked. Alloys/Wintersports for the Accord stacked 4 high and rimless Altimax stacked on the alloys 4 high. Same as the tire stores.

Last April when remounting the stock Volvo tires, 3/4 Continentals had sidewall blisters and I had to buy 4 new tires. They were stored the same way. Wal Mart wasn't pulling my leg. They circled the blisters and didn't charge me a dime for double the labor (mount the stock, discover blisters, re mount the snows) and they didn't try to sell me new tires. I've never had a problem with storing Ody, MDX, or Accord all season or snows the same way. I'm thinking about storing upright for this season. Lease is up in July. I'm also thinking of storing Pacifica tires upright which I've also seen at tire stores when stored on a rack. Funny, the only tire issues I've had are with mounting and dismounting and never with a wheel tire package.

post #25 of 69 Old 12-10-2017, 10:29 PM
3rd Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
The '85 snow storm in SA was a monster!

85' was 13". We got 4 inches. Nothing compared to real winters, but for south Texas it was crazy driving, highways were closed, wrecks ever where. As for the Honda, the sensors were covered in snow, and we don't carry scrapers or brushes. The LED lights were useless as well, completely iced over. Guess they produce enough heat to melt ice.

Oh well 1st world problem. I'd rather live here than any other place in the US. Now Spain, that another story. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #26 of 69 Old 12-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Like others have mentioned, good stories about all seasons doing great in the snow (try it with RWD) and I have similar experiences until 2001 when I moved into my current house. ALL of the yang I was telling friends about "all seasons are all you need if you have FWD and I live in Ohio" was null and void when I moved up the mile long 10% grade I live on now. All seasons are entirely inadequate.

We had our first snow yesterday. I just mounted up my steelies with Nokian Nordman 7 SUV on the Pacifica tonight and last night, I mounted up the alloys and Dunlop Wintersports on the Accord.

I had the Altimax Arctics put on the S60 (lease car, not buying wheels with an odd bolt pattern I'll never use on another car) today and one had a hole in the sidewall after only 1 season. I wonder if something is going on. I store them flat and stacked. Alloys/Wintersports for the Accord stacked 4 high and rimless Altimax stacked on the alloys 4 high. Same as the tire stores.

Last April when remounting the stock Volvo tires, 3/4 Continentals had sidewall blisters and I had to buy 4 new tires. They were stored the same way. Wal Mart wasn't pulling my leg. They circled the blisters and didn't charge me a dime for double the labor (mount the stock, discover blisters, re mount the snows) and they didn't try to sell me new tires. I've never had a problem with storing Ody, MDX, or Accord all season or snows the same way. I'm thinking about storing upright for this season. Lease is up in July. I'm also thinking of storing Pacifica tires upright which I've also seen at tire stores when stored on a rack. Funny, the only tire issues I've had are with mounting and dismounting and never with a wheel tire package.
Well, I didn't know about tires much until my Accord failed to get out of the garage with some light snow on the ground, LOL. Was going out to grab some road salt, and ended up having to call a buddy to come over. There is a big slope I have to climb, and the car just couldn't get any grip with the no-season tires and just a bit of snow on the ground. Hence why I spent the money to get all-weather tires, and they paid off in the heavier snow we got this February. Too bad I didn't keep the car long enough to really justify the cost.

It's a bit ironic how AWD is more dangerous because people think they are invincible with it, while a good number of RWD drivers are aware of the disadvantages they have and equip proper tires(or just store their cars for the winter).

As for tire storage, this picture explains it.

I have a set of summer tires(Falken 453 to be exact) sitting in the garage right now with the S2 RX-8 18'' OEM rims right now, all of which are stacked. Each one has a plastic bag around it.
Attached Images
II Kings 9:20, Miker and 14v6 like this.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UnknownJinX For This Useful Post:
enne (12-12-2017), II Kings 9:20 (12-11-2017)
post #27 of 69 Old 12-11-2017, 06:59 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Well, I didn't know about tires much until my Accord failed to get out of the garage with some light snow on the ground, LOL. Was going out to grab some road salt, and ended up having to call a buddy to come over. There is a big slope I have to climb, and the car just couldn't get any grip with the no-season tires and just a bit of snow on the ground. Hence why I spent the money to get all-weather tires, and they paid off in the heavier snow we got this February. Too bad I didn't keep the car long enough to really justify the cost.

It's a bit ironic how AWD is more dangerous because people think they are invincible with it, while a good number of RWD drivers are aware of the disadvantages they have and equip proper tires(or just store their cars for the winter).

As for tire storage, this picture explains it.

I have a set of summer tires(Falken 453 to be exact) sitting in the garage right now with the S2 RX-8 18'' OEM rims right now, all of which are stacked. Each one has a plastic bag around it.
One of the best posts ever to address my exact problem. I learned something huge today, thanks a million. Going to do it this way from now on. I just hope my other snow tires don't develop the same crack whilst I'm driving down the road.

post #28 of 69 Old 12-11-2017, 07:11 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
The '85 snow storm in SA was a monster!
Luckily they caught him.

When I lived in SA, I use to get a kick of all the 2WD pickups sliding around during ice events.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

post #29 of 69 Old 12-11-2017, 07:14 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Many years of Honda under my belt and was unpleasantly surprised to discover how bad MXV4s were in the snow. All before with A/S Michelins had been adequate okay. For me, this was just a simple annoyance. Live in snow country, but have a 4x4 for bad winter weather use. If I'd had to depend on the Accord day-to-day winter I'd changed out the tires right out of the box.
The factory MXV4's are indeed awful in any sort of real snow. They will do OK in a little bit of light slush but forget any real snow. First thing I did was pickup some Toyo Observe G3-Ice tires.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgary_6_6 For This Useful Post:
ltxi (12-11-2017)
post #30 of 69 Old 12-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgary_6_6 View Post
The factory MXV4's are indeed awful in any sort of real snow. They will do OK in a little bit of light slush but forget any real snow. First thing I did was pickup some Toyo Observe G3-Ice tires.
I agree about the MXV, Conti, Good Year Comfortread, and numerous other all seasons I've had over 26 winters in the snow belt.

Try Dunlop D40M2 on an '87 300E RWD without TCS or ESP. You spin your wheels if the weatherman says it might snow.

I put on original Blizzaks in '92 and drove from Columbus to Cleveland and then to Richmond, VA in blizzard conditions and the car behaved like an AWD and that is not an exaggeration. Once I switched to FWD, I did fine with FWD until I moved up the big hill in 2001. Winter tires are a must to get up the hill. Once salt and sand is down, anything can go up on all seasons including my '05 300C.

calgary_6_6 likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to II Kings 9:20 For This Useful Post:
ltxi (12-11-2017)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.