Oil Consumption - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
8Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 12-05-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Oil Consumption

Hi,

I got a question about oil consumption and if what I'm seeing is normal. Not sure if this is the right place or not, if it isn't, I apologize.

Sometime earlier this year, I brought my car into Honda because there was a leak a the valve cover gasket if I remember correctly. Shortly after, I brought it somewhere for maintenance, and was told there was no oil in my car, that was around June. After I got the maintenance done, I did the oil change myself. Since then, I had to add another quart of oil, I think tonight would be the second or third time, where when I checked, there was barely any oil on the dipstick. Added another quart and it was about halfway between the two holes.

Driving conditions are more or less the same, in the past year or so, traffic has been worse so more stop and go, but before they change the valve cover gasket, I was never this low on oil before, even with the leak.

Checked the percentage on the oil, and it's down to 20%. Not sure if that is normal or not. Any help would be appreciated.

If any other information is needed, let me know.

Thanks

2013 Honda Accord EX-L w/Navi Black
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 PM

Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,325 Posts
So you checked oil level in June, then again in December? How many miles did you put on between your two oil level checks?

post #3 of 27 Old 12-05-2017, 08:37 PM
6th Gear

CHECK your oil weekly, if level is between the 2 dots add a half qt., keep a written record of consumption until you can get a handle on what is going on. Running on low oil will stretch the timing chain if you have a 4 cyl.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 507K - 2017 EX automatic

post #4 of 27 Old 12-05-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
So you checked oil level in June, then again in December? How many miles did you put on between your two oil level checks?
I changed my oil in June, I believe I checked it sometime a few months later and remember adding another quart before tonight, can't remember when though. I drive about 60 miles a day to and from work, so lets say 65 to overshoot it in the rare time I go somewhere. Subtracting my vacation, an overshoot would be about 7200 miles, if I assume the beginning of June to be when I changed it. I know I've added another quart of oil at some point, but can't' remember exactly when. My car still say I have about 20% of the oil left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
CHECK your oil weekly, if level is between the 2 dots add a half qt., keep a written record of consumption until you can get a handle on what is going on. Running on low oil will stretch the timing chain if you have a 4 cyl.
Thank, and yes I have a 4 cyl. I had plan to take a picture of the dipstick to tomorrow morning and then again next week to see the difference, but it's probably better if I do what you said to see the oil consumption.
Another question, in the time when I was younger and stupider, I bought the oil from Honda, and used the last bottle in my car earlier to bring the levels up a bit. Would it be better if I kept using the Honda one for this test, or can I buy Mobil 1 oil?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

post #5 of 27 Old 12-05-2017, 09:53 PM
6th Gear

Use the Mobil 1, purchase Walmart in a 5 qt. jug, get a funnel.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 507K - 2017 EX automatic
post #6 of 27 Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
Use the Mobil 1, purchase Walmart in a 5 qt. jug, get a funnel.
Okay thanks, will do.

post #7 of 27 Old 12-06-2017, 04:53 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
+1 for Mobil 1, Quaker State is also good from what I hear. But I use Mobil 1 in my Honda. Checking your oil on the same day every week is also a good idea. It will give you a good idea of exactly how much oil the car is consuming and how much you're adding back every week/month/over what mileage. Check the owner's manual and see what it says about when to check the oil. Some cars you're supposed to let it sit and cool down for a few hours before checking the oil, some you're supposed to check when the engine is still warm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #8 of 27 Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 AM
Out of Control

You mentioned that the maintenance place told you that there was no oil in the engine. If that's true, your engine has been compromised and that's the issue now. I suggest take it in and see what Honda can do for you if you have any of the powertrain warranty left. If no warranty left, then you may have to continue adding oil for as long as the engine lasts or pay out of pocket to get it fixed. I couldn't see putting a lot of money into an almost 5 year old Accord but that's obviously up to you.

2009 CRV LX
2014 Accord EXL-V6
2015 CRV Touring
2017 Ridgeline RTS
post #9 of 27 Old 12-06-2017, 06:51 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdn20 View Post
Hi,

Shortly after, I brought it somewhere for maintenance, and was told there was no oil in my car, that was around June.

Thanks
How far do you think you drove with no oil in it? That alone may be your problem now.

Current Honda = 2015 Accord sedan: WOP Ex-L V6-6AT/Nav
Previous Hondas = 2007 Civic Ex Sedan (5spd-AT) & 1973 Civic 1200cc 5spd-MT hatchback
post #10 of 27 Old 12-06-2017, 06:52 AM
1st Gear

Can someone point me to the correct Mobil 1 synthetic oil to use (2017 Accord LX)? Is this okay?

The manual says to use 0W - 20
KW2004Accord likes this.
post #11 of 27 Old 12-06-2017, 06:54 AM
5th Gear

Yeah this sounds a bit scary, hopefully your car is still under the 5yr/60K warranty...
post #12 of 27 Old 12-06-2017, 10:13 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankuba View Post
Can someone point me to the correct Mobil 1 synthetic oil to use (2017 Accord LX)? Is this okay?

The manual says to use 0W - 20
Yes.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #13 of 27 Old 12-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
May I interest you in my newest book, How to Pick Oil for Your Car?

Here is a preview version:

1. Confirm the grade you need

2. See what's on sale

3. Make sure it's from a reputable brand(Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Quaker State, etc.)

4. Pay for it

5. Enjoy life. Don't forget to check your oil level every other time you get gas!

2008 Honda Accord Coup EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

The Following User Says Thank You to UnknownJinX For This Useful Post:
Yankuba (12-06-2017)
post #14 of 27 Old 12-06-2017, 12:49 PM
4th Gear

5w-20 vs 0w-20

If you ever get really interested in differences between oils, go to any brand's Specification page (MSDS, or similar page), and compare the viscosity numbers at operating temperatures, as well as the Flash points. As some have pointed out on other websites, apparently the base oils used in the 0w-xx weights tend to have better specs than the base oil used in the 5w-xx weights. Many thought it might be useful to use a 5w-20 in the hotter months and 0w-20 in the colder months...turns out to not be true.

Checking the specs has convinced me to always go with the 0w-20 Pennzoil over the 5w-20 Pennzoil. I prefer this brand due to the base lubricant being derived from Natural Gas....seems like Natural Gas would have less contaminates than Crude oil....from which the other Group III base oils originate.
MackDaddy likes this.

"Synthetic" is not a literal definition of a laboratory-created base lubricant, it has been a marketing term since the Castrol Mobil-1 lawsuit in the 1990's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackheart For This Useful Post:
Yankuba (12-06-2017)
post #15 of 27 Old 12-06-2017, 04:52 PM
5th Gear

You said you brought the car to Honda dealer for leak in valve cover gasket and subsequently was told by somebody else there was no oil.

Does the dealer's paperwork list the "mileage out" after they worked on the car? (Mine always does.) Does the paperwork from the other maintenance guy list the mileage in or out?

And does the dealer's paperwork show charges for parts/labor to add oil after the gasket was replaced? I assume they would routinely check the oil level after replacing the gasket. So either they didn't add oil to the full mark or car consumed a lot in however many miles were driven between the dealer's out mileage and the maintenance guy's in mileage.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.