Dealer repair shop wanted to replace coolant, looks okay to me - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
9Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 08:19 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtts60 View Post
That's obscene. As RickBlaine said, it's easy. Drain the radiator, refill with new coolant, allow engine to idle ~10 minutes or so to burp air bubbles out & you're done.
I haven't researched this car yet, but you sure there's no bleed screws? Service depts don't bother with waiting for the car to warm up, thermostat to open. They use a special vacuum fill tool which ensures there's no air pockets -

. I used this on the G (which is notorious being a pain to bleed) few years ago without even having to bother with any bleed screws.

KW2004Accord likes this.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Out of Control

Garage
I don't know about the 9th gen, but on my car there are no bleed screws for the coolant. Brakes, yes, but not coolant.

You don't need them anyhow. Leave the radiator cap off, let the engine run a bit and the bubbles come out.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #18 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
I haven't researched this car yet, but you sure there's no bleed screws? Service depts don't bother with waiting for the car to warm up, thermostat to open. They use a special vacuum fill tool which ensures there's no air pockets - . I used this on the G (which is notorious being a pain to bleed) few years ago without even having to bother with any bleed screws.
Thanks for the link, bought one.

My car is at 60k miles and I just like to stay on top of the fluid changes.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 11:04 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Well, being that coolant is like $10/gallon and you need less than two, I'd say it's a tad high.
I would love to know where you're getting type II for $10/Gal.
post #20 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
I paid CAN$90(12% tax included) for a coolant flush on my RX-8. It's around CAN$20 for parts and CAN$60ish for labor.

That said, I found the coolant just be a bit low on the car after driving the car for a bit. The coolant was at the min line when the car was fully warmed up(it's supposed to be about an inch above the max line when fully warmed up). I bought a jug of coolant, topped it up and kept it around.

Moral of the story: if you have someone else do it, make sure you check the level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR4Lee View Post
Maybe the new type stuff isn't but the old type stuff sure is.
Don't let your animals near it.
The older types of coolant is not only poisonous, but also tastes sweet and attracts pets/trash pandas or even young children. Part of the reason I didn't attempt my own change is because I don't want to find dead raccoons near my car.

The newer types of coolant supposedly tastes bitter. Yes, I have some Mazda FL-22 coolant in my garage. No, I am not going to verify the taste.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #21 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 12:35 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I never had a problem with trapped air, when I did coolant changes in the 03 V6. If you follow the procedure, the air comes out. I changed the coolant when I did the timing belt, and drained the coolant from the engine block too. You should never need a flush, unless someone put some other/wrong type of coolant in, and you need to get it all out. Most people who do a coolant flush end up with less than a 50/50 mix.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #22 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 12:46 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Yeah Gents, thanks for pointing this out about coolant and pets. For the last 5 years or so, manufacturers have added a bitter agent to get rid of the sweetness which attracted and killed so many pets and wildlife.

Coolant can be recycled for free in the USA. Some auto parts stores take it, some do not. Some counties take it, some do not.

Here in Crook County (I mean Cook County, IL) we have a website dedicated to recycling electronic and auto fluid waste. Love Ma Earth!

post #23 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 12:58 PM
6th Gear

I'm not sure if it's a state or local ordinance around here (also crook county), but local auto shops have to accept used oil and other automotive chemicals.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #24 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Yeah Gents, thanks for pointing this out about coolant and pets. For the last 5 years or so, manufacturers have added a bitter agent to get rid of the sweetness which attracted and killed so many pets and wildlife.

Coolant can be recycled for free in the USA. Some auto parts stores take it, some do not. Some counties take it, some do not.

Here in Crook County (I mean Cook County, IL) we have a website dedicated to recycling electronic and auto fluid waste. Love Ma Earth!

That's good to know...I didn't 'till now. Even back in the day when I did all my own maintenance work I hesitated to do coolant changes 'cause of my dogs.

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
post #25 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 05:22 PM
6th Gear

Funny timing with the prices to change coolant. Took my car in for oil change and tire rotate today, to a new to me shop, AAA approved, good ratings on Yelp, etc. $84 for that. They recommended coolant exchange for $178, among other things.

They say
Quote:
All of your important fluids have similar effects when we only drain and fill. Therefore, today, we highly recommend more proper exchanges. We have made some smart investments into equipment in our shop that allows us to handle the exchange and drain better. We currently use BG’s fluid exchanging machines. Each one has a dedicated purpose for specific fluids.
Thinking I will let them do the brakes and I'll do a simple drain and fill the radiator.

2008 Coupe V6
post #26 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
That's good to know...I didn't 'till now. Even back in the day when I did all my own maintenance work I hesitated to do coolant changes 'cause of my dogs.
The stuff is still poison! The bittering agent makes it less likely that a dog, cat, feral pig, possum, skunk, etc will find it appetizing and lick it- but it will still paralyze and kill.

You can recall the old days where even the smell of coolant was "sweet". I remember reading that coolant had a taste 10 times more "sweet" than did sugar. My local Advance Auto won't take coolant- but there is an independent repair shop near me that does. The guy always laughs and says it looks so good- he will sell it as new (he is kidding, of course).

Last warning- the newer coolants have the bittering agent, but if you buy a used car that has 5+ year old coolant in there, it may taste sweet.
post #27 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 05:56 PM
6th Gear

I can't be the only one that remembers the Bart Simpson goes to France episode.
They add antifreeze to the wine and test on him to see if they added too much.

2008 Coupe V6
post #28 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 06:01 PM

When I was young boy in Stalingrad, we drank to forget the day's work in the salt mines...

post #29 of 33 Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 PM
6th Gear

Drain and fill is probably fine.

If you want to "flush", get a spill free funnel.
Drain and fill once.
Let car idle for maybe 20 mins.
Put a large drain pan/bucket under radiator.
Open stop ****.
Pour through 2-3 gallons coolant.
Close stop ****.
Done.

If you want to get really fancy you can run through a couple gallons of distilled water and wait for the rad to drain clear, then replace that with coolant until it drains blue. I did this to replace green coolant a shop put in my car.

Edit: lol "s t o p c o c k" is censored
post #30 of 33 Old 12-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsunSaves View Post
I would love to know where you're getting type II for $10/Gal.
I don't buy Honda. I buy Walmart. Why waste dough?

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.