FM radio and thoughts on a larger battery - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 12-02-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

FM radio and thoughts on a larger battery

Since i had my 2015, i noticed car is sluggish, not smooth, and always had choppy ride.

Recently had a long trip, and only used CD player, not FM radio station that i always listen to. Huge difference in drivability. In short, the crappy radio in combination of cheap battery just can't deliver enough electricity for engine operation. And the radio station i listen to has poor signal power too, so i think it further drains the battery.

Now i never use the radio for the drivability. I think the audio unit itself is very cheap since the person on the other side can't really hear my voice when i use bluetooth to make calls.

And the poor resolution lanewatch camera, cheapened out interior material since late 2015 cars, poor fit and finish, anemic new modern steel metallic color that Honda decdied to use since late 2015 cars are all bothersome.

Thought of getting a new car, but decided to keep it for another year or so. Will have to force a dealer to replace the lanewatch for a second time...

I know i diverted and vented a little. Don't pick a fight with comments, not welcome.

Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-02-2017, 03:06 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to BlitzMob
....yikes

2010 Accord Coupe, EX-L V6 MT
post #3 of 27 Old 12-02-2017, 03:11 PM
5th Gear

Don't pick a fight with comments, not welcome.

Then don't post on the internet. WTH.
I cannot imagine your perceived drivability issues are in any way related to the battery.... I would think the CD draws a tiny bit more power due to the motor in there. Other than that, what powers the speakers is the same regardless of input.
Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Justanotherguy For This Useful Post:
ltxi (12-02-2017)

post #4 of 27 Old 12-02-2017, 03:24 PM
6th Gear

If you have the 4 cyl. upgrade to a better battery, was your car affected by the battery monitor (BSM) recall ?

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 507K - 2017 EX automatic
post #5 of 27 Old 12-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by js2275 View Post
Since i had my 2015, i noticed car is sluggish, not smooth, and always had choppy ride.

Recently had a long trip, and only used CD player, not FM radio station that i always listen to. Huge difference in drivability. In short, the crappy radio in combination of cheap battery just can't deliver enough electricity for engine operation. And the radio station i listen to has poor signal power too, so i think it further drains the battery.

Now i never use the radio for the drivability. I think the audio unit itself is very cheap since the person on the other side can't really hear my voice when i use bluetooth to make calls.

And the poor resolution lanewatch camera, cheapened out interior material since late 2015 cars, poor fit and finish, anemic new modern steel metallic color that Honda decdied to use since late 2015 cars are all bothersome.

Thought of getting a new car, but decided to keep it for another year or so. Will have to force a dealer to replace the lanewatch for a second time...

I know i diverted and vented a little. Don't pick a fight with comments, not welcome.
Good Lord!!

...another "Whut??" fer you.

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
post #6 of 27 Old 12-02-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
If you have the 4 cyl. upgrade to a better battery, was your car affected by the battery monitor (BSM) recall ?
Yup it is in fact affected, and will take care of it on my next oil change. I plan to upgrade to a larger one when my current one goes bad, unless i trade the car in.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-02-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanotherguy View Post

I cannot imagine your perceived drivability issues are in any way related to the battery.... I would think the CD draws a tiny bit more power due to the motor in there. Other than that, what powers the speakers is the same regardless of input.
Good luck
Yea, gone are the days when radio-pro.ru was once a little more collegial community. I will not post if what only matters is your own opinion or criticizing other's posts, or you happen to own the whole website.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-02-2017, 06:27 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Yup it is in fact affected, and will take care of it on my next oil change. I plan to upgrade to a larger one when my current one goes bad, unless i trade the car in.
Some have said that the battery posts on the Honda battery can leak which causes corrission around the clamp & cable, when they got the recall done they also got a new cable/clamp. The 51R battery they put in 4 cyl. Accords are what they use in the Civics, they last about 2.5 - 3 yrs.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 507K - 2017 EX automatic
post #9 of 27 Old 12-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanotherguy View Post

Good luck
Lighten up Francis!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #10 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 06:29 AM
1st Gear

Suggest you use better brand of gas. Clean your injectors ( Chevron Techron works well. Use a full bottle at each fill up for your next three fills). Check your grounds in electrical system. Buy a new larger battery( youll need one soon anyway). Clean battery connections. Really just some simple fixes.

'15 EXL, I4, CVT
post #11 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 06:45 AM
1st Gear

Your radio and backup cam have zero effect on the drive ability. Now if your battery is bad or alternator is not putting out 12.5-14.0 volts, or connections to/ from the battery are bad, or grounds are bad( most likely not) than you might have other problems like slow starts, dim lights, and driveability issues.. The radio and cam draw very little power and are not your problem.

As said above, use better gas ( Shell, Mobil, BP) and add some injector cleaner for awhile. This will help clean the tank, fuel lines and injectors. The change in driveability when doing this will be suttle, but it will help.

'15 EXL, I4, CVT
post #12 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 07:14 AM
10th Gear

Quote:

Stop torturing yourself, and get rid of this POS!

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
post #13 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 07:17 AM
5th Gear

Quote:

Now i never use the radio for the drivability. .
I need a little help here. So are you saying that because the radio is cheap, your car does not drive very well? In addition because the radio station you listen to is low powered, it drains the battery? Also, how do you use the radio for drivability?

Did you use a different brand of gas on your long trip? I am failing to see how using the CD player instead of the radio affects the drivability.

F1snob
'13 Accord Touring Black
2009 E92 335i Xdrive JB4 Tune
'06 6-speed Sedan with NAV Gone but not forgotten
'96 Accord EX-L 5-speed
Too many other cars to list
post #14 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 07:41 AM
5th Gear

Sounds like it may be a CVT issue, assuming of course that it is equipped with a CVT.
Ronch likes this.

Tom
'14 Accord Sport 6MT
post #15 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 08:32 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
Sounds like it may be a CVT issue, assuming of course that it is equipped with a CVT.
2015 Accord Ex Cvt I4

js2275 You are probably experiencing a simple coincidence as the CD player does not draw that much current.

EDIT: Looking at the audio/nav schematic, there is a connection between the audio system and the MICU, AND the gauge cluster. The Gauge cluster talks to the B-CAN buss looking for RPM and the vehicle speed pulse. It's probably looking at that for the speed / volume (SVC ?) operation. Since the FM is poorly received and the HFL is poorly operating, it MAY be a bad ground in the audio system.

I still think the radio not receiving has NOTHING to do with drivability of the car but a bad battery could explain both problems.

KW2004Accord likes this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.