2Likes
  • 1 Post By GolftangoV2
  • 1 Post By RickBlaine
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-30-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Exclamation 2013 Honda Accord Engine Swap

Hello Guys,

This is my first post and it comes a few months after registering here. So HI. This might be a bit verbose so please bear with me on this one and pardon me if I am not using the correct technical jargon.

I have a 2013 Honda Accord 2.4 L DX 5-AT purchased from and used in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. The car was a sweetheart. Last week, we had a lot of rain (it rains once every couple of years or so in this part of Saudi Arabia) and while driving through a big puddle (I know, I know) my car got hydrolocked. I took the car to Honda dealership who kept the car for a couple of days and said everything is OK and changed the usual stuff, spark plugs, engine and transmission oil etc. The car ran fine for a few days except that I felt more vibrations on idle than normal. I dismissed it because the car just had been to Honda dealership for $700. Then one day, all of a sudden, engine threw a rod and made a hole in the cylinder block. I took the car back to Honda dealership and the idiots there said that the car was running fine before and there was no way for them to check if something was wrong inside the engine or not. I told them that a simple compression test would have done the job. As it turns out, the $320 test they did on my car did not include the compression test. What a bunch of rip offs. So now they have given me a quote of $5,000 to change the engine lower assembly only (less gearbox, he used the term 'half-engine'). They will be using the head from my car's current engine. I bought this used car for $10,000 so you can understand my reluctance in spending half of that just on a cylinder block.

So I took to streets and found a place where they sell used imported engines. I found a couple of engines from LKQ that are being sold here. The whole engine will cost me around $1,500 including fitting. I ran the VIN numbers from the engines and now I have a couple of questions, before I go through with the deal :-

1. The VIN numbers indicate that the engine is from a 2013 Honda Accord from US but from what I have seen, the spark plugs are in a different location. Mine are on top while in the LKQ engine is a bit lower and towards the back . These engines are being sold as from 2016 Honda Accord. Since the engine head looked 'different' this is what I believed until I ran the VIN numbers. The mechanic told me that he will use the head from my engine and will swap the cylinder block only. Will this work ? Are there going to be any sensor issues etc ? I know it might be a bit hard for you guys to say anything without looking at it, but will appreciate if you can give it a try.

2. Again, from the VIN numbers I found that the engines come from a CVT sedan while mine has a 5 speed AT. Are there going to be compatibility issues ? Is a clean swap possible ? The mechanics here are not that, let's say, tech-savvy. Unless something is a simple swap, there is a good chance that it will end up as a botched up job. I don't want to leave this problem to the guy's genius.

3. The part number that I got from Honda for my engine block assembly is '10002-B0-Y00' while the one I got from the LKQ engines with CVT is '10002-5A2-A01'. I managed to search the American engines with AT but the part number is different from either. This has got me concerned if the CVT engine block can indeed be a clean swap with mine. I searched for my engine part online but could not get a lot of hits except from Indian and Russia so I guess it is just a region specific number or something.

Will appreciate a response. If you guys need the VIN numbers of the engines let me know.

Last edited by ahmadrafiq90; 11-30-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Additional information
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-01-2017, 06:30 AM
Jimmy Rustler

From what I can see, 9th gen ME Accords have the non-DI K24 carried over from the 8th gen Accord. My gut is that this would no way be compatible with a 9th gen US "Earth Dreams" DI 2.4L.

I think you need to narrow your search to ME Accord models for an engine swap, or look for 8th gen Accord donors from the US.

08EX-L likes this.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GolftangoV2 For This Useful Post:
ahmadrafiq90 (12-01-2017), RickBlaine (12-01-2017)
post #3 of 9 Old 12-01-2017, 07:14 AM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
Habeebee!

I agree with GolftangoV2....I seem to recall a thread about this same thing maybe 3 or 4 years ago. The middle east market, Asian market, and US markets get different things, and I remember the middle east NOT getting the Earth Dreams direct injection engine for the 2013 model.

I just want to add that I think you should find a similarly sourced whole engine, AND get the Electronic Control Module (ECU/ECM) from the donor car as well. I know those shops in Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, and Baghdad. Incredible abilities to make things work (lots of engineers in the USA are from those countries) - but bravado will exceed the capability. Installing the "wrong" engine- even if it somehow was able to be installed, will freak out your car's computer and you will be posting dozens of questions here trying to resolve sensor and operational issues- and they will never be resolved.

Whole engine, not just the head or lower end. The swap is straightforward. Labor is cheap there.

Did you have a modified intake on the car that allowed water in- or was it just the poor drainage of local roads?
GolftangoV2 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
ahmadrafiq90 (12-01-2017)

post #4 of 9 Old 12-01-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolftangoV2 View Post
From what I can see, 9th gen ME Accords have the non-DI K24 carried over from the 8th gen Accord. My gut is that this would no way be compatible with a 9th gen US "Earth Dreams" DI 2.4L.
Absolutely spot on about "Earth Dream" DI engines. They were introduced here 2014 or 2015. Mine is definitely not an ED-DI. But does the ED-DI mean that engine assembly (block) will also not be compatible as a stand-alone part ? Is the DI magic only in the head or in the block as well ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolftangoV2 View Post
I think you need to narrow your search to ME Accord models for an engine swap, or look for 8th gen Accord donors from the US.
I guess that's what I will have to do. American stuff is easier to find here than ME stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Habeebee!

Quote:
I agree with GolftangoV2....I seem to recall a thread about this same thing maybe 3 or 4 years ago. The middle east market, Asian market, and US markets get different things, and I remember the middle east NOT getting the Earth Dreams direct injection engine for the 2013 model.

I just want to add that I think you should find a similarly sourced whole engine, AND get the Electronic Control Module (ECU/ECM) from the donor car as well. I know those shops in Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, and Baghdad. Incredible abilities to make things work (lots of engineers in the USA are from those countries) - but bravado will exceed the capability. Installing the "wrong" engine- even if it somehow was able to be installed, will freak out your car's computer and you will be posting dozens of questions here trying to resolve sensor and operational issues- and they will never be resolved.

Whole engine, not just the head or lower end. The swap is straightforward. Labor is cheap there.
Same question for you as GolftangoV2. Isn't the ECM working its magic through the head or are there some sensors in the engine assembly as well ? And changing the engine assembly alone is a definite no ? Also what about the CVT to AT part ?

Quote:
Did you have a modified intake on the car that allowed water in- or was it just the poor drainage of local roads?
I have a stock intake but unfortunately the joint in the intake at the lower end of the loop (near the left tire) didn't hold (or maybe it was like that since beginning, I didn't care to look there before) and engine sucked in water from there. Otherwise, the water level was less than half of tire radius but the intake curves quite low and my guess is that the movement in water fed it to the intake. Drainage is virtually non-existent as they don't get a lot of rain here and the landscape adds to the trouble.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 12-01-2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: merge
post #5 of 9 Old 12-02-2017, 05:53 PM
3rd Gear

How did you hydrolock the engine just from driving through a puddle? How deep?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelnod View Post
How did you hydrolock the engine just from driving through a puddle? How deep?

The OP answered this right above your post.

post #7 of 9 Old 12-03-2017, 03:40 PM
3rd Gear

I C. I missed that.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-04-2017, 07:30 AM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadrafiq90 View Post
Same question for you as GolftangoV2. Isn't the ECM working its magic through the head or are there some sensors in the engine assembly as well ? And changing the engine assembly alone is a definite no ? Also what about the CVT to AT part ?
Excellent questions. I do not know exactly if the ECM is limited to monitoring and changing only the "top" part of the engine where many sensors and such are located....my guess is that the computer monitors more than just that.

Changing transmissions: You will have to stick with a 5 speed automatic transmission, and not change to a CVT.

The easiest path will have to be to find the same engine/trans combination from a similar car (4 door to 4 door, for example).

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
144k miles (as of Dec '17)
post #9 of 9 Old 12-04-2017, 09:02 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Excellent questions. I do not know exactly if the ECM is limited to monitoring and changing only the "top" part of the engine where many sensors and such are located....my guess is that the computer monitors more than just that.

Changing transmissions: You will have to stick with a 5 speed automatic transmission, and not change to a CVT.

The easiest path will have to be to find the same engine/trans combination from a similar car (4 door to 4 door, for example).
This. Your looking at a Gala Apple to a Gala Apple. Not a Gala Apple to a Fuji Apple. Apples are still apples, but you've got to be exact.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.