Dealer scratched rim while removing lugnuts for tire rotation - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
33Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Dealer scratched rim while removing lugnuts for tire rotation

Went to dealer today to get my 7,500 mike service. Part of the service was to rotate tires. I noticed upon completion that there were several minor scuffs/ scratches around the lug nut holes on the rim apparently from the air wrench. I pointed this out and tech said this cannot be prevent because of the vibration of the wrench. For some reason I was under the impression that a plastic sleeve was used to prevent this. The dealer said they never heard of such a thing. Has this ever happened to any one here? Would it bother you? I am very picky about keeping my rims in the best shape possible. Thanks

Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Roll Tide!

IF you are so picky, why are you letting anyone else do what you could be doing yourself? I think this happened to UnknownJinX once, but I could be mistaken since I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 05:33 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlmike View Post
Went to dealer today to get my 7,500 mike service. Part of the service was to rotate tires. I noticed upon completion that there were several minor scuffs/ scratches around the lug nut holes on the rim apparently from the air wrench. I pointed this out and tech said this cannot be prevent because of the vibration of the wrench. For some reason I was under the impression that a plastic sleeve was used to prevent this. The dealer said they never heard of such a thing. Has this ever happened to any one here? Would it bother you? I am very picky about keeping my rims in the best shape possible. Thanks
Yes, it would bother me. No decent tire shop/tech would be this careless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
IF you are so picky, why are you letting anyone else do what you could be doing yourself? I think this happened to UnknownJinX once, but I could be mistaken since I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Correct...you're mistaken. Shoulda sprung for the upgrade from Red Roof.

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan

Last edited by namegoeshere; 12-01-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: merge

post #4 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I assumed since this was the dealership I just bought the car at I could trust them to do a good job. Also I wanted to stay on the recommended maintence schedule. I guess next time Ill have to find another solution
post #5 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 05:51 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
I assumed since this was the dealership I just bought the car at I could trust them to do a good job. Also I wanted to stay on the recommended maintence schedule. I guess next time Ill have to find another solution
If my dealer did that I would put them on blast. Leave bad feedback for the dealer on Google. Call the service manager and tell him you'll scratch his rims... see how he likes it...ect. My Honda dealer has been rotating my tires on my cars and have never scratched my rims. I would be really mad as im very particular about my cars too. (and who wouldnt be at a pricetag of 24-34k new??

A long time ago I stayed at a Marriott on South Beach in FL and one of the valets put a huge scratch in the driver door of my Civic. The car was only like 2 years old Long story short after calls to Marriott Corp and to the Valet company's headquarters, they cut me a check for 1250$ the cost to repaint the door. I know they hated me when they heard my voice calling. I would call from work repeatedly and harass. (nothing like doing it on the clock)

I would at least call the service manager. Tell him if he dosen't want to listen you will call Honda Corp. TAKE PHOTOS so you have documented evidence. I hear things like this and figure some high school burnout like Napoleon Dynamite did it....careless idiot scratching the rims with a "who cares its not mine" attitude.
dugn likes this.

Former:
1984 Olds Cutlass(1st car)
1991 Taurus wagon (LOL)
1995 Mitsu eclipse- GSX
2002 Honda Civic(RIP AUTO-TRANS)
2008 Honda Accord LX (Traded-Oil burner)

Current:
2007 Honda Accord EX-L(His)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L(Hers)
post #6 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 05:52 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Quote:
Went to dealer today to get my 7,500 mike service. Part of the service was to rotate tires. I noticed upon completion that there were several minor scuffs/ scratches around the lug nut holes on the rim apparently from the air wrench. I pointed this out and tech said this cannot be prevent because of the vibration of the wrench.
The tech is sort of correct, when using an impact gun you hammer down on it and for a bit the lug nut doesn't move, then it lets go and VERY QUICKLY spins up, often imbalanced. Also, every once in a while you find a car that the lug nuts are unusually loose and it doesn't even have that not moving period, it just goes right to full throttle. Add to that the thin Honda paint, and this is all too common. It can be prevented by going slower(about 3 times slower) and putting your hand on the very edge of the socket. OR you could use hand tools....(DIY)

Quote:
For some reason I was under the impression that a plastic sleeve was used to prevent this. The dealer said they never heard of such a thing. Has this ever happened to any one here? Would it bother you? I am very picky about keeping my rims in the best shape possible. Thanks
YOU WOULD THINK???!! RIGHT? But they don't! There is NOTHING in place in a tire shop designed to NOT cause damage to rims, other than some rubber on the bead breaker, and likely some felt on the sides of the air-up cage. Air wrench sockets? Nope, just SOLID metal. Tire irons? Nope, just SOLID metal. The air lift on the balancer machine(for HEAVY wheels)? Nope, just SOLID METAL. Other stuff, such as the handles of the screw used to hold wheels tight to the balancing machine? Nope, just SOLID metal. That last two examples aren't even wear items or space-limited items, why WOULDN'T they pad them down? Because they don't care. Our equipment manufacturers just don't care.

Ultimately, the only way to guarantee your rims won't get damaged is to rotate the wheels yourself. Need other stuff done to them? Bring in the wheels alone, eliminating the possibility(as most likely kind of damage) of the tech damaging the wheels while taking them on and off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
The 9th Gen V6 Accord is the "mullet haircut" of the car industry. Bidness in the front, but party in the back when it's "GO TIME".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
post #7 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Roll Tide!

DIY your own maintenance, mang. None of it is hard at all, and all of it can be done in your driveway with no more that $100 in basic tools. I think Das Chicken got his tools by trading in some frequent flier miles at harbor freight.

Just wait until you learn for yourself why most of us do our own oil changes. Good times ahead for you! Ain't that right BLCKFLSH?
scar_cle and Das Chicken like this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #8 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 05:54 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Nah, wasn't me. I stopped paying attention to the details of my rims, otherwise I'd get locked up in an insane asylum...

Taking the lug nuts off with an impact gun is fine, but I would slap them across the face if they try to tighten the lug nuts that way. Any decent dealer/shop should hand tighten them, and then use a torque wrench to finish up.
jimijam and dugn like this.

2008 Honda Accord Coup EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #9 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 05:55 PM
Out of Control

exlmike...I certainly would. And an observation...tire rotation, having no effect on any warranty issue, is one of those things that can be left to informed personal choice. For the way I drive and maintain, front to rear only every 10K miles works best, for me.

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
post #10 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Nah, wasn't me.
Dude! I bought a bag of old school taco flavor doritos at grocery store today. I wonder if salcuta likes doritos or not. Prolly not though cus he's a health nut that puts more miles on his bike than he does his accord.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #11 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 06:06 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Quote:
Nah, wasn't me. I stopped paying attention to the details of my rims, otherwise I'd get locked up in an insane asylum...

Taking the lug nuts off with an impact gun is fine, but I would slap them across the face if they try to tighten the lug nuts that way. Any decent dealer/shop should hand tighten them, and then use a torque wrench to finish up.
At the tire shop I work at (two inappropriate nouns combined in one word), we use torque sticks, which are long thin sticks of metal that allow much of the transmitted torque to be soaked up and not transmitted to the nut. They work MOST of the time to not transmit too much torque. When I worked at Goodyear I would just lightly gun them down, making sure that I did it softly enough that the nuts actually turned, and therefore were at the correct torque when I used the torque wrench. In both shops I worked at, torque wrenches finished up the job. My boss said that he watched a dude at my local Honda dealer just gun the nuts down and get the car out without torquing the nuts, kind of sketchy.

Quote:
Quote:
The 9th Gen V6 Accord is the "mullet haircut" of the car industry. Bidness in the front, but party in the back when it's "GO TIME".
Quote:
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
The Following User Says Thank You to Das Chicken For This Useful Post:
ltxi (12-01-2017)
post #12 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 06:14 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
For anyone with 2 sets of tires, you can just label them when you take them off, and rotate the next time you put them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
Dude! I bought a bag of old school taco flavor doritos at grocery store today. I wonder if salcuta likes doritos or not. Prolly not though cus he's a health nut that puts more miles on his bike than he does his accord.
This is my favorite kind of Dorito.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Chicken View Post
At the tire shop I work at (two inappropriate nouns combined in one word), we use torque sticks, which are long thin sticks of metal that allow much of the transmitted torque to be soaked up and not transmitted to the nut. They work MOST of the time to not transmit too much torque. When I worked at Goodyear I would just lightly gun them down, making sure that I did it softly enough that the nuts actually turned, and therefore were at the correct torque when I used the torque wrench. In both shops I worked at, torque wrenches finished up the job. My boss said that he watched a dude at my local Honda dealer just gun the nuts down and get the car out without torquing the nuts, kind of sketchy.
I just putting them on by hand until I can't turn them anymore, lower the car onto the ground, then finish up with the torque wrench lightly.

I need to calibrate mine soon, too.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coup EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #13 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 06:17 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
Mistake #1: Believing there is such a thing as a 7,500 mile service
Mistake #2: Believing that these people give a damn about an uniformed customer

A few of the wheel studs may be stripped or cross-threaded- if that imbecile actually used the "Indy 500" air gun on your lug nuts without spinning them on by hand first. Would be interesting to see what torque he set them at.
t-rd likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
shimh (12-02-2017)
post #14 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

I am old geezer. 80

I HAVE NEVER ROTATED A TIRE.

No need to if the tires are good. Front & rear are aligned correctly. Wheel weights are STILL ON. Some weights last until a pothole or 80 mph. Or both at same time.

Frustrated Drifters ? More tires. Please.

Did not even consider keeping the tires when the Asphalt was missing at the edge of a concrete bridge on I 80. Hit that BANG at 65 mph. Had the wife stop. Checked as best as I could for a tire bubble . I had HIGH profile tires put on years go. Rims looked fine as 4 new balloons went on. High profiles DO save wheels & tires
post #15 of 43 Old 11-30-2017, 06:25 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Quote:
For anyone with 2 sets of tires, you can just label them when you take them off, and rotate the next time you put them on.

I just putting them on by hand until I can't turn them anymore, lower the car onto the ground, then finish up with the torque wrench lightly.

I need to calibrate mine soon, too.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.
I like that dorito.

You are more likely to have the tires get too old before they run out of tread, unless you are putting on some serious yearly mileage. 6-7 years is a safe age to retire them, If you shield your tires(covers, or leave inside) from the sun and ozone(electric motors) then they will age better. I wouldn't recommend having 2 sets of tires unless they are for summer/winter, or racing. I was just up in Canadia what, two weeks ago? The number of people driving around on shiny black steelies with PROPER winter tires was impressive.

I will thread my lug nuts on by hand all the way, then tighten them as much as I can with the lug wrench while they are in the air, then I lower and torque.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You high?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.