When to Replace Battery - 2017 Accord LX - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
11Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

When to Replace Battery - 2017 Accord LX

I bought my first new car in October 2017. It is an Accord LX with 800 miles. I read on these message boards that the original battery isn't the best. At what point should I replace it? Online the consensus is every three years but one website said every 2.5 years. Some people on these message boards immediately replace the batteries with something better.

We drive about 8,000 miles a year in Long Island and park in an indoor garage. The car is used 4 or 5 days a week.

I plan on servicing the car about once a year according to the Accord service guide I found online: synthetic oil change, state inspection, filters, tire rotation, etc.

With such infrequent service the battery will only get looked at by a pro every year or so.

With my prior cars I only got the battery changed when the mechanic recommended it during the annual inspection but I'm a lot more paranoid and anxious now then when I was younger.

Thank you

Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 10:17 AM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
Online the consensus is every three years but one website said every 2.5 years. Some people on these message boards immediately replace the batteries with something better.

Not sure which maintenance guide you found online- but you really should read your owner's manual and familiarize yourself with the maintenance minder. Not all fluids and filters need to be changed yearly- especially at just 8,000 miles a year....

post #3 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear

I got my 2013 Accord in 2015. While playing with the features in accessory mode, my wife ran the battery down the day I got it to the point that it wouldn't start (doing this is unhealthy for a car battery; if you were not already aware). The battery has since been run down at least twice by a dash cam I had that issues. In every case, I've had no problem jump starting the car with a pocket sized jump pack, and I've still got the factory battery.

The issue is that the reserve power of the tiny batteries these cars come with is awful. But the good news is that these 4 cylinder engines start up really easily, especially if you use 20W synthetic oil in them.

Last Wednesday, I parked my car returning from work, and did not start it again until this Monday morning. After sitting that long (with some accessories draining it this whole time), I could tell that it was a little slower than usual when starting on Monday, but by the time I was ready to leave work, it started just like normal.

My suggestion would be to keep a small lithium jump pack in the car, and check it every few months in case it needs recharging. And don't worry so much about your battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to rlitman For This Useful Post:
Yankuba (11-29-2017)

post #4 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 10:49 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
I got my 2013 Accord in 2015. While playing with the features in accessory mode, my wife ran the battery down the day I got it to the point that it wouldn't start (doing this is unhealthy for a car battery; if you were not already aware). The battery has since been run down at least twice by a dash cam I had that issues. In every case, I've had no problem jump starting the car with a pocket sized jump pack, and I've still got the factory battery.

The issue is that the reserve power of the tiny batteries these cars come with is awful. But the good news is that these 4 cylinder engines start up really easily, especially if you use 20W synthetic oil in them.

Last Wednesday, I parked my car returning from work, and did not start it again until this Monday morning. After sitting that long (with some accessories draining it this whole time), I could tell that it was a little slower than usual when starting on Monday, but by the time I was ready to leave work, it started just like normal.

My suggestion would be to keep a small lithium jump pack in the car, and check it every few months in case it needs recharging. And don't worry so much about your battery.
Or...

unplug unnecessary accessories that drain the battery when parked.

OP. It will be time to replace the battery when the OE one dies.
rlitman likes this.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Online the consensus is every three years but one website said every 2.5 years. Some people on these message boards immediately replace the batteries with something better.

Not sure which maintenance guide you found online- but you really should read your owner's manual and familiarize yourself with the maintenance minder. Not all fluids and filters need to be changed yearly- especially at just 8,000 miles a year....
Thank you. Apparently the maintenance printouts I found online were old (sparkplugs every 30,000 miles!) and Honda doesn't have any updated ones one their site (I just registered my name and car). They do have the maintenance minder codes so I printed those out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post

Thank you. I was unaware that they sold jump packs and that we can jump our cars without assistance from another vehicle. We park nose to the wall in a low clearance garage and the car next to me has been out of service for 5 years. So getting a jump from roadside assistance may not be possible - one of the reasons I worry about a dead battery.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 11-29-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: merge
post #6 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 11:18 AM
port & polish everything

Amazon and Costco routinely have sales for ~$50 or less if you can wait a bit. I just had to use a jump pack this morning, I accidentally left my map light on last night and it ran my AGM race battery dead. The lithium jump pack started the car on the first attempt in 40 deg temps.

My family never followed a replacement interval on batteries, the life varies so we replaced them when they get weak or die. It will be obvious when it starts cranking slowly.
enne and rlitman like this.

2003 LX eternal blue sedan - tsx intake manifold, dc sports header, fujita cold air intake, hondata and p2r heatshields, tls rear sway bar, 6mt strut bar, brembo rotors
2007 SE cool blue sedan - p2r heatshield, k&n drop in, no resonator
2010 LX-S belize blue coupe - bored throttle body, ported runners, hps silicone intake, aem drop in, tsx rear sway bar, ktuner.com
The Following User Says Thank You to outersquare For This Useful Post:
Yankuba (11-29-2017)
post #7 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 11:37 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankuba View Post
Thank you. I was unaware that they sold jump packs and that we can jump our cars without assistance from another vehicle. We park nose to the wall in a low clearance garage and the car next to me has been out of service for 5 years. So getting a jump from roadside assistance may not be possible - one of the reasons I worry about a dead battery.
Your roadside assistance should have a jumper/charger pack on hand, if you don't have one and can't reach the car's battery with another car. They're like $50 at AutoZone, I have one and it's about the size of a lunchbox. Little heavier than one though. Mine can jump a V6-size car battery once or twice before needing to be plugged in and charged back up.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #8 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thank you to everyone! I purchased:

Bolt Power D28-Ultimate 500 Peak Amps Car Battery Jump Starter with 13600 mAh Portable Pack Phone Charger

Consumer Reports recommended it and it got 5 stars on Amazon. It was $60.

Just have to remember to charge it every three months.
RickBlaine likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yankuba For This Useful Post:
KW2004Accord (11-29-2017), ltxi (11-29-2017)
post #9 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 02:20 PM
5th Gear

The group 51 in my '14 Sport lasted about 3 1/2 years with very light use always garaged. It never left me stranded, I replaced it with a group 24 before it did. After I replaced the OEM group 51 I gave it a goods long charge and left it on the work bench, it was dead within a week.

Edit: Actually I used a group 24F.
97trophy and Merc6 like this.

Tom
'14 Accord Sport 6MT
post #10 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 04:20 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
I bought my first new car in October 2017. It is an Accord LX with 800 miles. I read on these message boards that the original battery isn't the best. At what point should I replace it? Online the consensus is every three years but one website said every 2.5 years. Some people on these message boards immediately replace the batteries with something better.

We drive about 8,000 miles a year in Long Island and park in an indoor garage. The car is used 4 or 5 days a week.

I plan on servicing the car about once a year according to the Accord service guide I found online: synthetic oil change, state inspection, filters, tire rotation, etc.

With such infrequent service the battery will only get looked at by a pro every year or so.

With my prior cars I only got the battery changed when the mechanic recommended it during the annual inspection but I'm a lot more paranoid and anxious now then when I was younger.

Thank you
These OEM Group 51r batteries have an unfortunate history of dead cell problems. As noted, a compact Jump Pack is a good idea and solves the immediate, tactical issue of being dead battery stranded. Best companion strategic solution is to replace the 51 with a group 24, preferably not OEM. Not a difficult, pretty much drop in conversion.
Merc6 likes this.

2013 MSM V6 Sport Sedan
post #11 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 05:09 PM
Accord fan

Can't I fill the battery with distilled water to make it last longer?
post #12 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 05:23 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazhuveri View Post
YES, maybe. "Maintenance Free" really means less maintenance so check the battery cells periodically if the battery has removable caps.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 507K - 2017 EX automatic
post #13 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 PM

You change out that battery 3 to 5 years, depending on how hot and cold the weather is in your area, frequency of startup, and length of your trips.

You don't get the old school 20lb jump pack, you get lithium ion battery jump pack. I just purchased a NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp portable jump pack battery that weighs in at 2.3 lb, for $79.

If you are paranoid enough like me, get yourself a Battery Tender Jr. for $29 and keep it plugged in while the car is sitting in a garage. This maintains the battery at full charge.
Merc6 likes this.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #14 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 06:38 PM
2015 EX-L, V6/Navi CBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazhuveri View Post
I have not check the acid level on mine since we bought it new in 2014. After reading random posts here detailing bad cells, I went ahead and bought a gallon of distilled water. To my surprise, the battery acid level is just about right and adding water is not necessary.
Next morning, the battery failed to crank the engine, "No Start".
Evidently, the 3 year old battery exhibits sudden death and I would have blame it on the distilled water if I topped it off the night before.

Dealer replaced the battery due to bad cell at no cost!
post #15 of 25 Old 11-29-2017, 06:39 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolftangoV2 View Post
Or...

unplug unnecessary accessories that drain the battery when parked.

OP. It will be time to replace the battery when the OE one dies.
LOL, yeah. But where's the fun in that? Anyway, my point was that I haven't babied my battery at all, and yet it still starts up every day (when I don't do something stupid, like let the kids leave the dome light on over a weekend...that's happened too many times...).

Quote:
Thank you to everyone! I purchased:

Bolt Power D28-Ultimate 500 Peak Amps Car Battery Jump Starter with 13600 mAh Portable Pack Phone Charger

Consumer Reports recommended it and it got 5 stars on Amazon. It was $60.

Just have to remember to charge it every three months.
Good choice. I've got a

in my trunk. It's the next size up from what you bought, but is overkill for an Accord. I've started my car a couple of times, my 6 cylinder Wrangler at least twice (that's why I have a larger one), my 2-cylinder generator (it actually started this WITHOUT a battery at all), and two or three cars at my office with it, plus charged my phone countless times. It's such overkill that if it says it is 95% full just before I jump start a car, it will probably be 93% full afterwards.

Years ago, my wife wanted me to get her a lithium battery USB charger she could put in her purse to boost her phone. When I saw one that would also jump a car, I HAD to get that instead. It will just barely fit in a shirt pocket (still purse friendly, as she's not the small clutch type), and yet it's started my Accord once, and her Subaru a few times, plus several of her friend's SUVs. These things are pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
YES, maybe. "Maintenance Free" really means less maintenance so check the battery cells periodically if the battery has removable caps.
Ok, that is bad advice. "Maintenance Free" means don't open the damned cells!
Old fashioned batteries had cells that came with removable caps, so as water was lost, you could top them off with distilled water. Maintenance free batteries have cell caps that have a pressure regulating valve built in. They are designed to maintain a few PSI of pressure within the battery case to help hydrogen gas recombine (this extends battery life), and to prevent water from escaping. If a cell has gone dry, your maintenance free battery is pretty much at the end of its life. Prying off the not meant to be removed cap to add water will ruin the gas seal.

kazhuveri likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlitman For This Useful Post:
KW2004Accord (11-29-2017), Merc6 (11-30-2017)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.