Please inspect your door hinges for rust and defects - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
22Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 08-07-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

I purchased a 2017 LX Sedan brand new in October. I recently noticed what appears to be rust on my driver side rear door upper hinge. It's on the extension arm which acts as a safety stop. The rusty area does not contact any other part of the hinge when the door is opened so it's not due to wear. It appears that area of the hinge is poorly machined and poorly painted which is maybe why I'm seeing rust already. The same hinge on the passenger side looks okay. I've attached 4 pictures.

I'm hoping other forum member can look at their door hinges and report back. Is this normal? It's real easy to spot and unfortunately I notice it now every time I drive my car which causes irritation.

Any suggestions on what to do? I'm tempted to sand it down and cover with primer/touch up paint but not sure I can access it adequately to remove all the rust as it appears to wrap around to the back side of the arm when viewing from the rear.

Not sure what Honda service will do. Most likely refer me to a collision center. Would they replace the entire hinge? Is this considered a manufacturing defect in materials (poor machining) or workmanship (poor painting)? I would have to trust they would perform the repair correctly and not cause future problems by replacing the hinge. I don't want rust breaching the B pillar or door because they didn't seal or paint properly. Would a collision facility report the repair to carfax?

I inspected my girlfriend's 2017 Toyota RAV4 and her hinges are perfectly painted. Mine are not.

This is my first Honda and maybe my last. I'm very good about keeping my car clean. It irritates me to see rust forming due to Honda's lack of Quality of Control for something as simple as paint. Are my expectations too high for a $21,000 vehicle? Does the $35,000 Touring model suffer the same lack of QC? Sorry I'm venting now.

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Out of Control

Garage
You don't say where you live.

That's nothing to worry about. A rust-free car doesn't exist, unless it's made of some non-metallic material.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #3 of 33 Old 08-07-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtts60 View Post
You don't say where you live.

That's nothing to worry about. A rust-free car doesn't exist, unless it's made of some non-metallic material.
Missouri. The car is less than a year old!

post #4 of 33 Old 08-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Dsclmr:DIY YourOwnRisks

Thank you for sharing. It is not a good sign to see rust so soon. Possibly defects; it must be a whole batch of such defect. It doesn't really matter where you live, the product is just poor quality for its selling location if that what you should expect. I would expect the car to be wet in the rain, but not stalled. Definitely not normal; where you live is just excuses to dis the problem. Let the consumer reports see it and see if they think it is normal for 2017 car. I can understand if you drove it on the seashore, sure that would be normal to see. Someone can blame the street salt; but it is not like salt is used once every 100 years.
post #5 of 33 Old 08-08-2017, 04:34 AM
6th Gear

Um, I won't be inspecting my hinges. I rarely look there and I don't care if there is a spec of rust there. If it were visible from the outside or inside of the car, I would understand. But, hidden in the door jam?? Nope, don't care.
AV8OR, MikeNC and Melchizedek like this.

2013 Accord EX-L V6 Navi Sedan - White Orchid Pearl / Ivory

Previous:
2005 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe - Satin Silver Metallic / Black
1995 Accord EX-L Sedan - Granada Black Metallic / Gray
post #6 of 33 Old 08-08-2017, 05:23 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo1 View Post
I purchased a 2017 LX Sedan brand new in October. I recently noticed what appears to be rust on my driver side rear door upper hinge. It's on the extension arm which acts as a safety stop. The rusty area does not contact any other part of the hinge when the door is opened so it's not due to wear. It appears that area of the hinge is poorly machined and poorly painted which is maybe why I'm seeing rust already. The same hinge on the passenger side looks okay. I've attached 4 pictures.

I'm hoping other forum member can look at their door hinges and report back. Is this normal? It's real easy to spot and unfortunately I notice it now every time I drive my car which causes irritation.

Any suggestions on what to do? I'm tempted to sand it down and cover with primer/touch up paint but not sure I can access it adequately to remove all the rust as it appears to wrap around to the back side of the arm when viewing from the rear.

Not sure what Honda service will do. Most likely refer me to a collision center. Would they replace the entire hinge? Is this considered a manufacturing defect in materials (poor machining) or workmanship (poor painting)? I would have to trust they would perform the repair correctly and not cause future problems by replacing the hinge. I don't want rust breaching the B pillar or door because they didn't seal or paint properly. Would a collision facility report the repair to carfax?

I inspected my girlfriend's 2017 Toyota RAV4 and her hinges are perfectly painted. Mine are not.

This is my first Honda and maybe my last. I'm very good about keeping my car clean. It irritates me to see rust forming due to Honda's lack of Quality of Control for something as simple as paint. Are my expectations too high for a $21,000 vehicle? Does the $35,000 Touring model suffer the same lack of QC? Sorry I'm venting now.
I do recall seeing a thread similar to this regarding the lack of consistently applied paint to the hinges. I believe that owner had the SMR color. Do a search on the forum to see what they said about it.

2013 Accord LX | CVT | ASM
- Sport 18" Wheels
- Debadged
- Decklid Spoiler
- Rear Windshield Spoiler
- Kensun 6K HID headlights
- Blacked out grill and other chrome bits
- iJDMtoy LED Parking Light
- XuJi Leather Steering Wheel cover
- 25mm rear and 5mm front spacers
- Aries front and rear mats

Next up - Coilovers, vinyl wrap interior......
post #7 of 33 Old 08-08-2017, 05:31 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutee View Post
Thank you for sharing. It is not a good sign to see rust so soon. Possibly defects; it must be a whole batch of such defect. It doesn't really matter where you live, the product is just poor quality for its selling location if that what you should expect. I would expect the car to be wet in the rain, but not stalled. Definitely not normal; where you live is just excuses to dis the problem. Let the consumer reports see it and see if they think it is normal for 2017 car. I can understand if you drove it on the seashore, sure that would be normal to see. Someone can blame the street salt; but it is not like salt is used once every 100 years.
OP, you can update your User CP by clicking that button on the upper right of your screen and then clicking "edit details". Nice of you to ask other members to post pictures. When was your car manufactured, according to the sticker?

location does matter as it can help the next person coming across this thread. Does road salt matter? Does the dry climate of Sedona, Arizona vs. humidity of Miami Beach, Florida affect cars differently? Countless times, people on the 6th-8th Gen forums have reported rust in the rear right wheel area, but not the left. Others say that they don't have a problem. When you look at location, you realize that road salt will rust out the right rear area faster than the left rear area just because the roads are sloped for drainage- and most road salt winds up on the right side of the road.

While I don't find the issue here to be structural, I am interested in what caused this, why it is only on one side of the vehicle, and if others have a similar issue or do NOT have a similar issue.

I spent a day at a Suzuki car manufacturing plant in India. I was like a kid in a candy store! One thing I noticed- the doors were painted separately from the car body, then joined together later during the line at one of the most advanced car manufacturing plants in the world. The first batch of doors would have to be loaded by hand onto the automated machine- then the machine could pick up the next set on its own. But that first set was handled by humans and they had to literally lift it by hand and place it onto the robot. Maybe that is what happened here- something got dinged....I don't know.
Merc6 likes this.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #8 of 33 Old 08-08-2017, 06:17 AM

I was expecting to see the hinged rusted all the way off the car. Hondo1 whatever you do, don't look underneath the car...

2007 EX-L 4DR
The Following User Says Thank You to 03LXV6 For This Useful Post:
cookieman214 (08-08-2017)
post #9 of 33 Old 08-08-2017, 06:35 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post

I spent a day at a Suzuki car manufacturing plant in India. I was like a kid in a candy store! One thing I noticed- the doors were painted separately from the car body, then joined together later during the line at one of the most advanced car manufacturing plants in the world. The first batch of doors would have to be loaded by hand onto the automated machine- then the machine could pick up the next set on its own. But that first set was handled by humans and they had to literally lift it by hand and place it onto the robot. Maybe that is what happened here- something got dinged....I don't know.
Honda does the same IIRC. Look at you tube videos of the line. That must have been a cool experience. I tried to tour the Suzuki factory in Sagara Japan a couple of years ago, but it had wacky hours and I don't think touring was available.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 33 Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 AM
Bkh
1st Gear

Interesting, I have a speck of rust on the top inside passenger side hinge and my car was manufactured in June 2017. It appears to be a sloppy paint job on an area that has friction with surface rust quickly developing. Very annoying but likely not a structural issue for some time but I plan to point out to the dealer at my first free oil change. I had a similar issue on my Odyssey Towing hitch and ended up sanding and repainting the rusted parts and that was on a one year old part.
post #11 of 33 Old 08-08-2017, 08:01 AM
4th Gear

There's no rust on any of my door hinges.

I suspect that your hinge needed an adjustment (maybe at the factory), and the mechanic scratched the paint off. This may explain why one side shows rust and the other doesn't.

2018 Accord 4-Door 2.0T Touring [Color TBD - 10th gen] (Future)
2014 Accord 4-Door V6 Touring [Crystal Black Pearl - 9th gen] (Mine)
2010 Accord 4-Door EX-L V6/NAV [Bold Beige - 8th gen] (Hers)

Previously Owned:
  • 2002 Accord 4-Door EX-V6 [Noble Green - 6th gen] (Sold)
  • 1992 Accord 4-Door EX [Granada Black] - 4th gen] (Sold)
  • 1984 Accord 4-Door LX [Graphite Gray - 2nd gen] (Traded)
post #12 of 33 Old 08-08-2017, 08:07 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Glue a small piece of sandpaper on a pencil eraser, sand off the specs of rust and touch up the area with touch up paint. Done.
MackDaddy, VFR4Lee, Merc6 and 1 others like this.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

post #13 of 33 Old 08-08-2017, 10:41 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Wow, I want to know who really went out and looked at their door hinges after this post.....
cookieman214 and Melchizedek like this.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Daughter's car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Son's car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
post #14 of 33 Old 08-08-2017, 01:35 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo1 View Post

Sell or trade your car before it rusts away...you will never be happy with it because of the massive rust.

Rustamageddon is upon us! Epidemic I'd say. You are just days away from those hinges rusting away, and your doors falling off.

Week old 9th Gen with corrosion/rust in engine bay. Normal?

OE brake rotor rust??

Something wrong with my 14' Accord

Rust prevention - Best Practice

Rust on a brand new 2015 Accord Coupe?!!

Rust on Engine Screws on a 2 Month old Car?

This is normal?

2013 Honda Accord suspension rust?

2013 accord spindle knuckle rust. Normal? What should I do?

Rust :(

Rear brake rust

catalytic converter rusty on brand new car

Rust!!!!

Rusted Tie Rod End Cause For Concern? (pics)
mtts60 likes this.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #15 of 33 Old 08-08-2017, 02:32 PM
HondaNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
Wow, I want to know who really went out and looked at their door hinges after this post.....
Are you just hoping to find out you weren't the only one?

2016 Honda Accord EX-L, in White Orchid Pearl (1st ever Honda)
Click to see lifetime mileage of my I4 CVT.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.