New Recall: BSM (Battery Status Monitor) sensor - Page 19 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
42Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #271 of 297 Old 12-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Why wait? Warranty doesn't depend on maintenance servicing through a dealer.
I'm a low mileage driver and do the fluids myself. Brakes will be the next challenge, there is a right way and wrong way to do them and I have little faith that anyone would do them like Eric O from South Main Auto. Too bad he is too far away. I usually get rid of the car before the timing belt is due at 7 years because tech changes so much. Other than warranty work, I never go to the dealer but with 4 Hondas it seems like I am always there for an airbag, a computer reflash or now this battery stuff. The part looks identical in a CRV so I wonder if that will be recalled as well.

2009 CRV LX
2014 Accord EXL-V6
2015 CRV Touring
2017 Ridgeline RTS
Advertisement

post #272 of 297 Old 12-11-2017, 04:59 PM
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
Replacement was relatively uneventful. Took about 10 minutes in addition to the 45 minute wait before the car actually entered the shop. Advisor mentioned they're doing about 50-75 of these a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
Took it in a 9:20 out by 10:40. I had responded to an email in the fall where the dealer inquired if I wanted to trade in my Accord. I replied that I intended on keeping the V6. Well today, they were aware of this correspondence and asked me if I was interested in checking out on of the leftover V6's in the showroom. I politely declined. They approached everyone in the waiting room even if their car was brand new just to give out business cards. If 1-2% respond and they see 100 cars per day that's 50 cars a week for trade in and maybe 50 new sales.

Question, they said I had 8mm left on the right front and right rear pads. How can they do this without pulling the tires? Or did they pull the tires and the locks with a master key? I might as well check the trunk now to see if they used my key.
Any way I can just get them to give me the little part? Isn't it just unscrewing the little black box from the battery wire and putting the new one on? Is there anything else they are doing here? With all due respect to the free coffee and CNN Headline News on the TV and February 2017 issues of Motor Trend on the coffee table in the waiting room, I would rather not spend an hour and a half sitting my a$$ at the dealership for this if that is the extent of the replacement.

post #273 of 297 Old 12-12-2017, 05:56 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyV6 View Post
Any way I can just get them to give me the little part? Isn't it just unscrewing the little black box from the battery wire and putting the new one on? Is there anything else they are doing here? With all due respect to the free coffee and CNN Headline News on the TV and February 2017 issues of Motor Trend on the coffee table in the waiting room, I would rather not spend an hour and a half sitting my a$$ at the dealership for this if that is the extent of the replacement.
When it comes to a recall situation I very much doubt they would be willing to give you the part and send you on your way. They need proof that it was done and that their liability is removed. When I had mine done I not only had to sign to acknowledge the repair, I had to sign another document acknowledging that the recall issue had been addressed.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L HFP V6 M6 in WOP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich

post #274 of 297 Old 12-12-2017, 04:03 PM
2nd Gear

I received a follow-up notice today.. I had my sensor replaced on July 26th, 2017. Of course the notice was in my mailbox when I got home from work today, after being in for an oil change today.

Anyone else receive this?

post #275 of 297 Old 12-12-2017, 06:54 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyV6 View Post
Don't know where you live, but in California when there's a safety recall, the dealer has to give you an official DMV doc stating the update was done successfully. That form has to be stapled to the car's title, so it's available when you sell/trade the car. So they're not giving anyone that lil ole part to do the update themselves around here.

I got that form after the CVT software was updated. It has the date of the update, VIN, make, model, MY, name/address of the dealership, specifics about the update, and it's signed by their Service Manager. That's when I found out my VIN was recorded as a '16 Accord 4-door, instead of as a '16 Coupe. And then the fun/games began.

Any idiot could look at my car and see it's not a 4-door, but the dealer wouldn't/couldn't issue a revised DMV form saying it was a Coupe until Honda investigated. I did ask them to give me the 2 missing rear doors, but that didn't work.
post #276 of 297 Old 12-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Happy Accord Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronch View Post
Don't know where you live, but in California when there's a safety recall, the dealer has to give you an official DMV doc stating the update was done successfully. That form has to be stapled to the car's title, so it's available when you sell/trade the car. So they're not giving anyone that lil ole part to do the update themselves around here.

I got that form after the CVT software was updated. It has the date of the update, VIN, make, model, MY, name/address of the dealership, specifics about the update, and it's signed by their Service Manager. That's when I found out my VIN was recorded as a '16 Accord 4-door, instead of as a '16 Coupe. And then the fun/games began.

Any idiot could look at my car and see it's not a 4-door, but the dealer wouldn't/couldn't issue a revised DMV form saying it was a Coupe until Honda investigated. I did ask them to give me the 2 missing rear doors, but that didn't work.

Interesting I have had several recalls done on various cars, including two Hondas that were safety related and never received any official or unofficial DMV document saying the update was done. The updated 'battery sensor' recall was just done earlier this week. All I have ever received is the regular service receipt. I guess not all Honda dealers in California are adhering to this rule. After reading your post I googled it and couldn't find any law that requires this, only one called the Consumer Automotive Recall Safety (CARS) Act, and requires the DMV to include a general advisory regarding vehicle recalls and needed repairs on each vehicle registration renewal notice.
post #277 of 297 Old 12-15-2017, 01:44 PM
'15 EX-L V6 Mod Steel Met

Quick question to those that got the BSM changed by the dealer, under this recall:

> The dealer had to disconnect the battery + possibly change the negative terminal wire as part of this recall.
> Did you check to see if your readiness indicator was reset?? This readiness indicator needs to be set, else in many states would fail state inspection.
> When you disconnect the battery, the catalytic converter data stored on the body control module is gone ; so the car needs to have the codes re-written to the BCM after driving for some time (& lot longer in the cold weather).
> To check to see if the readiness indicator is reset ; turn your car off ; then without foot on brake pedal hit the start button twice and look at the check engine light. It should turn off within 6 ~ 8 seconds....BUT...if it blinks 5 times then shuts off, your readiness indicator is not reset.

There is a way to reset the readiness indicator as called out in the owner's manual, but is difficult to clear EVAP code (especially in the winter).

Thanks in advance for your response(s).
The Following User Says Thank You to cuddyver For This Useful Post:
BLCKFLSH (12-15-2017)
post #278 of 297 Old 12-15-2017, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

I had my BSM replaced this week by a local dealer. Made an appointment, showed up 15 minutes early and the advisor told me it would be a 90 minute job including waiting my turn in the service queue. They had me out in 45, so I was grateful.

I didn't notice anything different about my car ie. settings, odometer, radio presets. If the battery is disconnected, are those settings volatile?

Bob.
post #279 of 297 Old 12-16-2017, 07:50 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson&Blue72 View Post
I had my BSM replaced this week by a local dealer. Made an appointment, showed up 15 minutes early and the advisor told me it would be a 90 minute job including waiting my turn in the service queue. They had me out in 45, so I was grateful.

I didn't notice anything different about my car ie. settings, odometer, radio presets. If the battery is disconnected, are those settings volatile?

Bob.
Maybe your dealership was intelligent enough to put some sort of battery memory keeper so you wouldn't lose those settings.

9th gens don't need to have the radio reset other than a single button push anyway although they could get the radio code if necessary.

If you want to check the readiness monitors, press the start button twice (no brake) and watch the lower left of the dash for the little engine icon. If it flashes 5 times, all your monitors are NOT ready. It won't tell which one is not set, just that at least one or more has not reset. If it goes off without blinking, you're golden.

Happy motoring !
14v6 likes this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General

Last edited by Miker; 12-16-2017 at 08:01 AM. Reason: add wordage
The Following User Says Thank You to Miker For This Useful Post:
Crimson&Blue72 (12-17-2017)
post #280 of 297 Old 12-17-2017, 06:23 AM
My First Post

NHTSA Recalll 17V-418 and TSB 10088442 Stater clearance

I just had NHTSA Recall 17V-418 (batter sensor) replaced on my 2013 Honda Accord V6LX NAV on 12-13-2017 at Silko Honda Raynham MA, and on Sunday 12-17-2017 my battery is now dead. Some sensor... I was also at the dealer looking to resolve the issue with the starter TSB 10088442 starter clearance issue they told me $500.00 for the starter, 2 hours of labor. That is what a Honda starter is worth and doesn't work correctly? They also said they won't pay for it but have done numerous repairs and that alone may not fix the issue and I may need the torque converter replaced as well. The other service guy rolled his eyes when the first service guy asked him how many repairs of the starter he had done. Very disappointed in Honda and Silko Honda specifically, who buy the way touts the best warranty. Don't be fooled by Silko Honda. Never buying at Silko Honda again or a Honda for that matter.
post #281 of 297 Old 12-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddeal View Post
I just had NHTSA Recall 17V-418 (batter sensor) replaced on my 2013 Honda Accord V6LX NAV on 12-13-2017 at Silko Honda Raynham MA, and on Sunday 12-17-2017 my battery is now dead. Some sensor... I was also at the dealer looking to resolve the issue with the starter TSB 10088442 starter clearance issue they told me $500.00 for the starter, 2 hours of labor. That is what a Honda starter is worth and doesn't work correctly? They also said they won't pay for it but have done numerous repairs and that alone may not fix the issue and I may need the torque converter replaced as well. The other service guy rolled his eyes when the first service guy asked him how many repairs of the starter he had done. Very disappointed in Honda and Silko Honda specifically, who buy the way touts the best warranty. Don't be fooled by Silko Honda. Never buying at Silko Honda again or a Honda for that matter.
How old is the battery?

The sensor would not cause this problem with the battery. It doesn't work that way. This just may be coincidental.

The TSB is a16-002 NOT the NHTSA file number 10088442.

The repair would be to replace the starter and turn the torque convertor ring gear one bolt hole. They would replace it IF the ring has already been spun.

Did you buy the car from the dealer "as-is" or did you get a warrantee with it?

Search for the correct TSB A16-002 and look to see what is involved.

Anyway the 2013 LX didn't come with a V6. Did you mean to say EX-L ?

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #282 of 297 Old 12-17-2017, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info.

I just checked my car using the 'two times' push of the starter button and found no blinking. All the icons disappeared when I started the car, so I'm pleased with the situation.

I bought the car as a Honda CPO about a year ago and have been pleased with it. I don't drive it very much as it's my weekend ride, but, I look forward to my weekends!

Bob.
post #283 of 297 Old 12-17-2017, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

Everyone seems to be having good luck with a replacement on the sensor!! Ive taken my car in 4 times now and they can't seem to get it right after they replace it or supposedly repair since I think they are just clearing the codes which they are telling me are "phantom codes". I would drive the car 10-15 miles and the battery light would come one and in the center screen it would say "check charge system" hopefully tomorrow they will be able to fix it!
post #284 of 297 Old 12-19-2017, 12:52 PM
'15 EX-L V6 Mod Steel Met

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansharyar58 View Post
Everyone seems to be having good luck with a replacement on the sensor!! Ive taken my car in 4 times now and they can't seem to get it right after they replace it or supposedly repair since I think they are just clearing the codes which they are telling me are "phantom codes". I would drive the car 10-15 miles and the battery light would come one and in the center screen it would say "check charge system" hopefully tomorrow they will be able to fix it!
Hello, khansharyar
Sorry to hear about your problems. I haven't got the battery sensor changed as of yet, have received 2 notices in the mail from Honda. However, I did change the battery to Walmart's 24F battery rated at 725CCA ; note that I have a V6 engine. Honda's battery was underpowered and seemed to not have enough power to rev the starter fully to start the car. The new Walmart battery is strong and keepin' fingers crossed I've had successful starts for a month. I too was quoted $ 800 ~ to get a new starter before someone here on radio-pro.ru said that the battery could be the problem (who even claimed that the car would run smoother after the battery change...shifts better etc ; and I experienced this too). The battery was only $ 93 ; and since then I have had successful starts for a month...and the lights are brighter than before + shifts smoother.
I might hold off on the battery sensor for a few more weeks. Please share with us what you find. I am in MA also.
Happy holidays.
post #285 of 297 Old 12-21-2017, 02:23 PM
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Had the recall work done today. Dropped off car and came back after an appointment 1 hr later and it was done.

One of their three recommendations was for a new battery, which the tech said was "marginal". I assume they didn't test it and just wrote that down based on a 4yr old OEM battery. They also suggested wiper inserts ($25) and brake flush ($120). The battery was $250 (!) for the lifetime warranty or $160 (also wow!) for regular. I told them I agree with all their recs but do this kind of work myself, and for $85 can get a Costco battery and pop it in myself.

I actually credit them for not having a bunch of other crazy recommendations. I actually agree with all three of the above.

I asked about keeping power on the battery when they did this or otherwise resetting the emissions codes, and she said they couldn't do either. She said the system would reset itself quickly after a short amount of driving. That said, I don't see the "double flashing warning light" that others were mentioning. What again am I looking for there?

Advertisement

Tags
recall safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.