6AT Problems at 250 miles???? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old 06-16-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Garage
6AT Problems at 250 miles????

Freaked out a bit right now. My brand new, picked it up on Wednesday, '17 Accord Touring has some odd behavior and noise from the transmission/transaxle. I know the 6AT doesn't shift the smoothest and has characteristic noises that have been reported, but mine does not seem normal. I'm getting a clicking/whirring/rattling noise when the driveshaft is unloaded such as coasting w/ no load. I can barely hear it outside the car. Sound like gear lash in a manual transmission or driveline slack. Also, I get a harsh downshift from 2-1 with a little click occasionally. It really seems unhappy if shifting into Sport Mode at 25-30 MPH. I have felt the VCM vibration and that's not it. Really feels/sounds like a gear noise. The car accelerates fine with no drama and responds well at speed.

I'm just sick at my stomach at the thought that the car, which had less than 6 miles on it at my test drive and now has 250, could have a borked transmission already! Is there anything else less serious that could cause this?

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 05:03 AM
5th Gear

Enjoy reading about V6 Automatic Transmissions issues/problems/complaints. You are not alone.

Jerk in car at low speeds in 2016 Honda Accord Touring v6

2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Rough Transmission

2017 Accord V6 - Sudden Deceleration when Idling

2016 AT Accord Coupe V6 EX shifts at weird times

2013 V6 Touring Transmission munching and rpm bounce

Jerk or Jolt from Stop Light (V6 ONLY)

Harsh Upshift and Downshift

Just bought a Pre-Owned 2014 EX-L V6! But acceleration is jerky...

Engine braking - too sensitive?

couple of questions re "shudder at low speed" for 2013+

Possible transmission troubles....

Need help with my new 2015 Accord exl v6 please

Abrupt downshift w/6 sp auto tranny

Stepwise Acceleration ('13 V6 auto)

2013 EXL V6 Downshift problem and wind noise

Transmission clunk 2015 Accord EX-L V6

Transmission Shudder. 14' EX-L V6

Does the V6 6AT automatically rev match when down-shifting?

Anyone else hate their V6 Auto Transmission?

2014 Accord EL-V6 feels slow and heavy

2013 touring jerking when slowing down
Issues with new touring v6 accord

Is there "Rev-Matching" on Upshifts (V6 6 speed auto)

Doe anyone know at what speeds the trans shifts gears?

2013 v6 accord auto, problem with anti-braking

V6 owners, trans shudder?

V6: Noticeable Downshifts when decelerating

Why no low gear on 6AT?

Ex-L V6 shifting

EX V-6 Early Transmission Shifts

2014 Honda Accord V6 Transmission vibration/noise

Juddering auto trans V6

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
The Following User Says Thank You to cookieman214 For This Useful Post:
TN9thSi (06-17-2017)
post #3 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 05:14 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman214 View Post
Really? Ouch.
II Kings 9:20 likes this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)

post #4 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 05:38 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN9thSi View Post
Freaked out a bit right now. My brand new, picked it up on Wednesday, '17 Accord Touring has some odd behavior and noise from the transmission/transaxle. I know the 6AT doesn't shift the smoothest and has characteristic noises that have been reported, but mine does not seem normal. I'm getting a clicking/whirring/rattling noise when the driveshaft is unloaded such as coasting w/ no load. I can barely hear it outside the car. Sound like gear lash in a manual transmission or driveline slack. Also, I get a harsh downshift from 2-1 with a little click occasionally. It really seems unhappy if shifting into Sport Mode at 25-30 MPH. I have felt the VCM vibration and that's not it. Really feels/sounds like a gear noise. The car accelerates fine with no drama and responds well at speed.

I'm just sick at my stomach at the thought that the car, which had less than 6 miles on it at my test drive and now has 250, could have a borked transmission already! Is there anything else less serious that could cause this?
Wow sorry to hear about your issue, my 2017 Touring got it at 13 miles, took it on my last 1800 mile round trip, and preformed just like my 2014, with the exception of a little drop in mpg.
post #5 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 05:40 AM
Out of Control

It could be the solenoids you are hearing. If you have any doubts, take it back or drive another one and see if you can replicate. This noise is not the easiest to hear so you must be very in tune with your car. You have read about all this stuff, now you are living it. It could all be normal, hopefully that what it is and congrats on your Touring.

2009 CRV LX
2014 Accord EXL-V6
2015 CRV Touring
2017 Ridgeline RTS
post #6 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Garage
My first thought after driving it for a while is that it felt a lot like a manual transmission with the "gear lash" noises and shifting feel. I saw a few other mentions of this analogy in the linked threads posted. Coming from the CVT which is very smooth in all but low-speed creeping and cold starts, the 6AT in my car may be "normal" so I'm gonna drive it a bit more and see of the issues get worse. Probably will let the dealer inspect the car soon, regardless.

But right now I'm going to go wash it, because everything else about this car is fantastic and I'm not going to let either a finicky transmission, or even a faulty one, spoil my enjoyment of the Touring, at least for now

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory
post #7 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 05:46 AM
Out of Control

Take solace in the fact the car is under warranty and it will be fixed to your satisfaction. Worst case scenario is they take out that 6AT and replace it with a brand new one. You won't get burnt.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #8 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 06:28 AM
10th Gear

Quote:

With about 2,500 miles, I never experienced any of the problems you described on my '17. I also haven't noticed posts from other '17 owners mention the problems you're describing the noise either. I find the shifting characteristics of the Accord 6AT, typical of 5/6/7AT's of other auto manufactures. If you don't want to feel the AT, you'll want a CVT.

The best thing you can do is take your car back to the dealership, if you haven't already done so.

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
post #9 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 07:22 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
My first thought after driving it for a while is that it felt a lot like a manual transmission with the "gear lash" noises and shifting feel. I saw a few other mentions of this analogy in the linked threads posted. Coming from the CVT which is very smooth in all but low-speed creeping and cold starts, the 6AT in my car may be "normal" so I'm gonna drive it a bit more and see of the issues get worse. Probably will let the dealer inspect the car soon, regardless.

But right now I'm going to go wash it, because everything else about this car is fantastic and I'm not going to let either a finicky transmission, or even a faulty one, spoil my enjoyment of the Touring, at least for now
{bolded}

You're noticing the exact reason for the feel of a manual is because basically the Honda's automatics are simply manuals that have been automated with separate hydraulic clutches for each gear. the clutches replace the forks, synchronizers, etc. of the manual. That started with the Hondamatics design WAY in the beginning. 1968 internet post !!

They don't use planetary gears (read smooth) but the new 10 speed Honda design does.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
The Following User Says Thank You to Miker For This Useful Post:
Donniet53 (12-05-2017)
post #10 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 09:33 AM
5th Gear

I feel your pain. I too went from a perfect 2014 EXL V6 to a 2017 EXL V6 that ended up needing a new short block only 575 miles. I was getting a knocking/ticking sound under light to moderate acceleration and after extensive testing they determined it to be a defect in the lower end of the block.

After living with the other 9th gen V6 for three years I knew what to expect with the 6AT and VCM. I dont even bother with the Sport mode or the econ button because they make the car act stupid.

2007 EX-L
2016 Tundra SR5 DC
2017 EX-L V6
post #11 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

What did you drive before? I find the V6/6AT in my families RDX extremely rough after having my i4/CVT Accord for a few months. I found the same thing driving my Civic after not driving it for a few months. I think it's one of those things that takes some getting used to. If the car needs a new transmission you have plenty of warranty and roadside assistance to help you out.
post #12 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Mechanical Stig

Off topic but is the '17 odyssey's 6AT identical to the accord's 6AT? Kind of like how they both use the J35?

2017 Honda Odyssey TE - VCмuzzleг - OEM Footwell LED Mod - Rear LED Reflectors -
2017 Honda Accord EX-L
2014 Honda Civic EX-L
2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L (USDM AF!) VCмuzzleг - Catless Downpipe/Pre Cat Deletes - Third Cat Delete - Ported Runners - Custom K&N SRI With Cold Air Scoop - TB Coolant Bypass - Thermal Gaskets - BC Coilovers - Dyno Tuned -
post #13 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 09:15 PM
Out of Control

FWIW I have had 4 MDX with V6 and the 6AT and all shifted beautifully. Never any problems with noise, roughness, etc. As good as any AT I have experienced. I don't imagine they put better quality in the Acura (that's a joke). My dad's V6 Ody 6AT is excellent with zero issues.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #14 of 64 Old 06-17-2017, 11:02 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Honda automatics have always been known for hard shifting. It gives the cars a more sporty feel when driving aggressively, because you feel like you can control when the transmission shifts using the accelerator pedal. When just driving like a normal person though I've always felt like the 2nd to 3rd gear shift needed some accelerator pedal manipulation for it to shift when I wanted it to. I would usually give it a little extra accelerator at the end of 2nd, then let up on the accelerator, to make the shift happen quicker. Both the 92 and the 03 Accords seemed to be this way. It got to a point where it was a habit, that I didn't even have to think about after 25 years driving them. Neither transmission ever gave me any problems, so I was willing to chalk it up to the fact that no car is perfect. I was actually looking forward to owning an Accord that didn't have this trait, when they came out with the CVT. The CVT is a bit sluggish off the line, but after it gets rolling I actually like it better than the traditional Honda automatic.
I actually tried a Toyota (between the two Accords), and I loved the smooth shifting automatic. It's the rest of the car I didn't care for, and it was quickly traded for the second Accord.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 13,000 miles so far
The Following User Says Thank You to BLCKFLSH For This Useful Post:
Donniet53 (12-05-2017)
post #15 of 64 Old 06-18-2017, 11:17 AM
4th Gear

I felt a similar reaction from mine but I took it easy the first five thousand miles and slowly the transmission got broken in where it shifts a lot smoother now. 250 miles is not enough to tell yet. You need to drive it at least to 2000 miles and take it easy on the shifts, don't gun the engine or tromp on the gas pedal for a while. It should smooth out.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.