First oil change on 9th gen 2.4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
14Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-27-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
banned

First oil change on 9th gen 2.4

I bought my Sport 6spd in December of 2015. I did the first oil change at 3500 miles and every 3000 since then. I take it to my trusted Honda mechanic who uses Mobil 1 synthetic. I've been reading online today that first oil change should not be done until at least 20% oil life left because first oil is special break in oil. My question is, did I sentence my engine to shorter lifespan, poorer performance, power MPGs and maybe even oil consumption? I know the 3000 mile interval for synthetic is an overkill but that's just something I like to do. My question is about the break-in period and doing the first change at 3500.

Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-27-2017, 07:42 PM
3rd Gear

My guess is that 90% or more cars out there were not broken-in correctly. Many of those cars go on to live long lives. I wouldn't sweat it at all.

post #3 of 31 Old 05-27-2017, 08:19 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I don't think there is a "break-in" oil. I don't remember seeing anything about break-in oil in the owner's manual.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far

post #4 of 31 Old 05-27-2017, 10:46 PM
V6 9th Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB034 View Post
I bought my Sport 6spd in December of 2015. I did the first oil change at 3500 miles and every 3000 since then. I take it to my trusted Honda mechanic who uses Mobil 1 synthetic. I've been reading online today that first oil change should not be done until at least 20% oil life left because first oil is special break in oil. My question is, did I sentence my engine to shorter lifespan, poorer performance, power MPGs and maybe even oil consumption? I know the 3000 mile interval for synthetic is an overkill but that's just something I like to do. My question is about the break-in period and doing the first change at 3500.
See my other post. I will not worry about this. As long it is synthetic you should be fine. Synthetic oil sticks to the cylinder wall and helps in cold start. For non synthetic oils I might worry......
post #5 of 31 Old 05-28-2017, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBarnaby View Post
My guess is that 90% or more cars out there were not broken-in correctly. Many of those cars go on to live long lives. I wouldn't sweat it at all.
Hi Tony. When I first bought the car, I talked to a owner of a specialized Honda shop in Libertyville, IL. He advised me to drive first 600 miles under 4000 RPM and from there on, drive it the way I'll always drive it, which meant red line when I want to red line. But you're right, maybe even more than 90% of people don't break in engines correctly. But unlike a dozen other cars I've owned in the last 15 years, I bought this car at a very specific time with a very specific purpose. I bought it 6 years prior to my son starting to drive on his own (he will be 10 in July, I bought the car December 28, 2015). I wanted a car that looks amazing and is very attractive and at the same time, a car that has excellent reliability AND is not too powerful for a inexperienced driver such as a 16 year old boy (or girl). It's a car that he already absolutely loves, it's a car that he's growing up with and when the car is paid off and he's ready, it will still have a lot of life left. I'm doing my best to keep it looking great for him. The 2016 Sport will still be very attractive in 2022, it will definitely have aged but it will still be a nice ride. Anyway, the point is, longevity of the engine is very important to me because this is a car that will be in the family for a long while. I have a 3 year old daughter, who knows, maybe she'll drive it one day too

Last edited by SRB034; 05-28-2017 at 06:21 AM. Reason: correction
post #6 of 31 Old 05-28-2017, 07:19 AM
5th Gear

Yes there really is break-in oil in the 9th generation as they come from the factory according to the Honda web sight. The main difference between Honda's break-in oil and regular oil is a healthy dose of molybdenum in the break-in oil. The extra moly causes the steel in the cylinder walls (and other places I imagine) to harden and they do suggest leaving it in until the MM tells you to change it.

If you change it early it probably won't make much difference. Some people still subscribe to the old theory of getting the metal particles from the first few thousand miles out with an early oil change. But manufacturers maintain that new engines now have better tolerances and an early oil change isn't needed.

My '14 Accord is the first new vehicle I have owned that I have not done an early oil change on. With this one I basically follow the owner's manual and change it according to the MM or once a year whichever is first.

Tom
'14 Accord Sport 6MT
post #7 of 31 Old 05-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
I don't think there is a "break-in" oil. I don't remember seeing anything about break-in oil in the owner's manual.
Not sure if it's a break-in oil or just an added dose of Molly, but I've seen dozens of original oil analyses with 10x more molly than regular oil. Bitog is full of them. That's why some dealers advise not to rush on the first oil change.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 178k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2003 Ford F-150
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #8 of 31 Old 05-28-2017, 09:01 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
Yes there really is break-in oil in the 9th generation as they come from the factory according to the Honda web sight. The main difference between Honda's break-in oil and regular oil is a healthy dose of molybdenum in the break-in oil. The extra moly causes the steel in the cylinder walls (and other places I imagine) to harden and they do suggest leaving it in until the MM tells you to change it.

If you change it early it probably won't make much difference. Some people still subscribe to the old theory of getting the metal particles from the first few thousand miles out with an early oil change. But manufacturers maintain that new engines now have better tolerances and an early oil change isn't needed.

My '14 Accord is the first new vehicle I have owned that I have not done an early oil change on. With this one I basically follow the owner's manual and change it according to the MM or once a year whichever is first.
I doubt that you did any harm since the factory oil did remain in the car for 3,500 miles. My question is why are you changing 100% synthetic oil so often? You are just throwing away your money and perfectly good lubricant. The Maintenance Minder monitors your driving and adjusts the oil change intervals based on an algorithm that takes into account things such as number of cold starts, duration of trips etc.

If you subscribe to the idea of changing your oil every 3,000 miles, then why not just change it every week? That must be better because it's got to be cleaner. Wait, why not every day? The old adage about changing the oil every 3,500 miles was based on old type mineral oils and increasing the service department's bottom line.

My 2000 Accord V6 Coupe had 175,000 miles when it was totaled in an accident in 2015. I always changed the oil based on the milage reminder at 7,500 miles. I used mineral based oil and changed the filter at the same time. The car never burned any oil between changes.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
The Following User Says Thank You to Flyboy For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (05-30-2017)
post #9 of 31 Old 05-28-2017, 09:03 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
When I bought my 2013, there was no mention of a 'break-in' oil in the owner's manual.

But on owners.honda.com in the FAQ section, under "oil," there was a statement to the effect that the factory-fill oil should not be changed until required by the MM. IIRC, Honda stated that this oil was specially formulated for the break-in period.

But that information seems to have been removed, at least, I could not find it.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
The Following User Says Thank You to Graycar For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (05-30-2017)
post #10 of 31 Old 05-28-2017, 11:13 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
My question is why are you changing 100% synthetic oil so often? You are just throwing away your money and perfectly good lubricant.

If you subscribe to the idea of changing your oil every 3,000 miles, then why not just change it every week? That must be better because it's got to be cleaner. Wait, why not every day? The old adage about changing the oil every 3,500 miles was based on old type mineral oils and increasing the service department's bottom line.
Leave him alone, xxxxxxx. He said in his OP why.

What do you care how often he changes it. It does not affect you and your perfect life,you xxxxxxxx.

Thanks

Last edited by namegoeshere; 05-28-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: language; final infraction issued
post #11 of 31 Old 05-28-2017, 11:28 AM
2017 Accord Sport MSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB034 View Post
Hi Tony. When I first bought the car, I talked to a owner of a specialized Honda shop in Libertyville, IL. He advised me to drive first 600 miles under 4000 RPM and from there on, drive it the way I'll always drive it, which meant red line when I want to red line. But you're right, maybe even more than 90% of people don't break in engines correctly. But unlike a dozen other cars I've owned in the last 15 years, I bought this car at a very specific time with a very specific purpose. I bought it 6 years prior to my son starting to drive on his own (he will be 10 in July, I bought the car December 28, 2015). I wanted a car that looks amazing and is very attractive and at the same time, a car that has excellent reliability AND is not too powerful for a inexperienced driver such as a 16 year old boy (or girl). It's a car that he already absolutely loves, it's a car that he's growing up with and when the car is paid off and he's ready, it will still have a lot of life left. I'm doing my best to keep it looking great for him. The 2016 Sport will still be very attractive in 2022, it will definitely have aged but it will still be a nice ride. Anyway, the point is, longevity of the engine is very important to me because this is a car that will be in the family for a long while. I have a 3 year old daughter, who knows, maybe she'll drive it one day too
YOU are a GREAT dad!!
SRB034 likes this.
post #12 of 31 Old 05-28-2017, 05:38 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
When I bought my 2013, there was no mention of a 'break-in' oil in the owner's manual.

But on owners.honda.com in the FAQ section, under "oil," there was a statement to the effect that the factory-fill oil should not be changed until required by the MM. IIRC, Honda stated that this oil was specially formulated for the break-in period.

But that information seems to have been removed, at least, I could not find it.
I have the same impression: that statement was there in the past, and has subsequently been removed.

From what I've heard others that have done extensive testing, they opine that the high levels of molybdenum were from assembly lube, not exactly from a so-called "break-in oil". If true, that may be why the statement was removed...it's not actually a break-in oil that is being used. However, it appears that initial high moly load is beneficial in the early miles, and it's a good idea to leave it in for the entire first oil change interval. From what I've seen, there is nothing in OCI UOA's that would make me want to change the oil more often than directed by the MM and the Service Manual.

"Synthetic" is not a literal definition of a laboratory-created base lubricant, it has been a marketing term since the Castrol Mobil-1 lawsuit in the 1990's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackheart For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (05-30-2017)
post #13 of 31 Old 05-30-2017, 07:16 AM
HondaNewb

I am positive that when I purchased the car, the statement did exist on the Honda website that you should leave in the original oil until maintenance minder got as close to 0 as possible. However, I've not been able to find that statement since then.

As far as oil change frequency goes, myself...I do the oil changes when maintenance minder tells me to do it. I haven't done 3,000 mile oil changes in 20 years. My 97 Dodge Stratus got 5,000 mile changes on regular conventional oil and it had around 165,000 miles on it when it was stolen and it wasn't having any engine issues.

My 2013 VW TDI used synthetic oil and called for OCI of 10,000 miles. That is what I did during the factory warranty period. I was extending them to 15,000 mile intervals once I was outside of warranty, but unfortunately a driver fell asleep on our street and plowed into my car at 55,000 miles and totaled it. Several people on the forums, did a UOI on their oils at 10,000 miles and all had life left.

My 2016 Accord called for the 1st oil change at around 8,040 miles. The 2nd came up around 16,300 (which I just had done this weekend). Both times, i think maintenance minder was at 10%. My dealer service department gave me some grief saying I really should be changing it at 5,000 mile intervals, but they are there to make money doing service work. Honda engineers invented maintenance minder, and they have worked on it for many years, I'm pretty sure they have a pretty good idea of when my oil needs to be changed.

Back in the 1970's, people did frequent oil changes, engine technology wasn't too advanced and motor oils were far less sophisticated. With the technology we have today, tighter engine tolerances and synthetic oils, there is no reason to continue the practice of doing oil changes at 3,000 miles. All you are doing is wasting your money and using up environment resources.

Mobil 1 is a great brand of synthetic motor oil. They now offer a 1 year oil, or 20,000 mile option. Even if other synthetics were only 50% as good, that's still 10,000 miles.

Drive more, worry less.

2016 Honda Accord EX-L, in White Orchid Pearl (1st ever Honda)
Click to see lifetime mileage of my I4 CVT.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to pparks1 For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (05-30-2017)
post #14 of 31 Old 05-30-2017, 07:27 AM

Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,362 Posts
I am closing this thread and suggesting you flip through our epic "When should I change my oil" thread. That thread talks about break in oil procedures, the Jiffy Lube 3,000 mile oil change, and the suggestions of "why not change it every day, then?"

Cliff notes: Any mechanic that suggests you change your synthetic oil every 3,000 miles in a modern, well-running engine is not "trusty". He is an idiot and a predator. There are countless posting here from members that took the time and money to do an oil analysis and post the results. If you want to stick to a 1970s Jiffy Lube advertising slogan of a 3,000 mile oil change- that is your right. But that mechanic is playing you for cash in his pocket.

Thread closed.

EDIT: THREAD RE-OPENED!!!
Blackheart and SRB034 like this.

Last edited by RickBlaine; 05-31-2017 at 05:55 AM. Reason: OP convinced me to re-open thread
post #15 of 31 Old 05-31-2017, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
I doubt that you did any harm since the factory oil did remain in the car for 3,500 miles. My question is why are you changing 100% synthetic oil so often? You are just throwing away your money and perfectly good lubricant. The Maintenance Minder monitors your driving and adjusts the oil change intervals based on an algorithm that takes into account things such as number of cold starts, duration of trips etc.

My 2000 Accord V6 Coupe had 175,000 miles when it was totaled in an accident in 2015. I always changed the oil based on the milage reminder at 7,500 miles. I used mineral based oil and changed the filter at the same time. The car never burned any oil between changes.
"Why not just change it every week?" "Why not every day? - Why does a dumb person buy a smart TV? If you find yourself scratching your head at this, I feel the same way about your question. But I will oblige you; I do it because I've always done that since my first car. However, I have an even more simpler answer, personified in this case; because I can. By the way, mileage is spelled mileage, not milage which kind of reiterates my question and puts it to bed at the same time.

RickBlaine, I hope this is to your satisfaction and I fulfilled my mandatory obligation to answer the above question(s) in order for the thread to be reopened.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.