I4 CVT - Annoying vibration when idling - Page 3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
10Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 39 Old 10-25-2017, 12:39 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Responding to OLD posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis View Post
I do the same for my 2016 EX during long lights. Question, is there any long term wear or damage that could be done doing this? (shifting to N).
Nope. It is vibrating because: 1. It is a I4, which are naturally unbalanced, even with a balance shaft there are still vibrations. 2. Because the engine is at low rpm and is actively trying to push the car forward, even at a stop. Even riding LAWNMOWERS are smart enough to disconnect the engine when you push the brake, but for whatever reason, car manufacturers continue to make cars that want to roll forward with the brake pedal pressed down. You can dramatically reduce vibrations at a stop by shifting to neutral. You will also decrease your instantaneous fuel consumption on the order of 20%.(see above, ALWAYS TRYING TO CREEP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
Should be fine so long as you're not shifting while driving. I'm used to driving my manual which has an automatic neutral when not in gear. On the occasions I drive the accord, I do the same. The vibration seems most pronounced when the engine is cold. Not as noticeable once at operating temp.
I neutral coast every auto (and manual) car I drive, haven't broken one yet. There is nothing inherently wrong with neutral coasting in an auto. It is still receiving lubrication via the engine driven pump(as long as the engine is running), the only concern should be going back into gear from neutral. Some transmissions like to be revved up before being put back into gear, some like shifting back into drive at idle. If you decide to rev match it, make sure you catch the right spot while the rpms are dropping down, if you catch it on the way up, it will jerk.

My dad's s2000 vibrates at idle too, but its a manual, so its not constantly trying to creep forward. You know what I do to solve that problem? I shut the engine off!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
When I was little girl in Russia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 155K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 10-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Chicken View Post
Responding to OLD posts!

Nope. It is vibrating because: 1. It is a I4, which are naturally unbalanced, even with a balance shaft there are still vibrations. 2. Because the engine is at low rpm and is actively trying to push the car forward, even at a stop. Even riding LAWNMOWERS are smart enough to disconnect the engine when you push the brake, but for whatever reason, car manufacturers continue to make cars that want to roll forward with the brake pedal pressed down. You can dramatically reduce vibrations at a stop by shifting to neutral. You will also decrease your instantaneous fuel consumption on the order of 20%.(see above, ALWAYS TRYING TO CREEP)

I neutral coast every auto (and manual) car I drive, haven't broken one yet. There is nothing inherently wrong with neutral coasting in an auto. It is still receiving lubrication via the engine driven pump(as long as the engine is running), the only concern should be going back into gear from neutral. Some transmissions like to be revved up before being put back into gear, some like shifting back into drive at idle. If you decide to rev match it, make sure you catch the right spot while the rpms are dropping down, if you catch it on the way up, it will jerk.

My dad's s2000 vibrates at idle too, but its a manual, so its not constantly trying to creep forward. You know what I do to solve that problem? I shut the engine off!
Idle vibration is pretty normal. Out of the cars I have driven, the Accord has the smoothest idle(even in D) while the Corolla shook like it's falling apart. I maintained the Accord very well and change the ATF regularly, so there is that. The Corolla probably has a worn engine mount, given its age.

Tesla cars give you the option to stay still or creep when you let off the brake, so there you go.

Personally, I think it's just a convention, and not that bad of one from a safety point of view. It forces people to hold the brake when stopped.

I never coast in neutral. Saving an insignificant amount of fuel is not worth it to me compared to safety and control.

I think a good rule of thumb is: if it vibrates less than a DVD player/PS3, you are fine.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 39 Old 10-25-2017, 02:14 PM
Out of Control

When you are in neutral the torque converter disengages allowing the trans. fluid temp. to drop somewhat.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 511K - 2017 EX automatic 2K

post #34 of 39 Old 10-25-2017, 03:26 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
When you are in neutral the transmission disengages.
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post

I never coast in neutral. Saving an insignificant amount of fuel is not worth it to me compared to safety and control.

I think a good rule of thumb is: if it vibrates less than a DVD player/PS3, you are fine.
Well, to me saving a SIGNIFICANT amount of fuel is worth the small "loss of control". There is a reason(many actually) that I regularly pull down 44 mpg on my highway commute in a car rated for 27. Neutral coasting is a BIG part of that. My engine is still running, i'm just in neutral. If I need engine braking then I just rev it up, clutch in, go in gear. If I need to GTFO, i'm already halfway there since I don't have to take it out of gear. I have YET to be in a situation where being in neutral caused an unsafe situation/made a situation worse. Realistically it takes me about 3/4 of a second to go from idling in neutral to in gear. My brakes still work in neutral, steering still works, I don't see what everyone is scared of.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 155K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
The Following User Says Thank You to Das Chicken For This Useful Post:
KW2004Accord (10-25-2017)
post #35 of 39 Old 10-25-2017, 03:40 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Fixed.

Well, to me saving a SIGNIFICANT amount of fuel is worth the small "loss of control". There is a reason(many actually) that I regularly pull down 44 mpg on my highway commute in a car rated for 27. Neutral coasting is a BIG part of that. My engine is still running, i'm just in neutral. If I need engine braking then I just rev it up, clutch in, go in gear. If I need to GTFO, i'm already halfway there since I don't have to take it out of gear. I have YET to be in a situation where being in neutral caused an unsafe situation/made a situation worse. Realistically it takes me about 3/4 of a second to go from idling in neutral to in gear. My brakes still work in neutral, steering still works, I don't see what everyone is scared of.
Much easier to turn on cruise control and just keep going, rather than the cycle of "neutral-gear-neutral-gear".

The idea is that it's easy to panic in certain situations and forget that you are not in gear. That's why it's usually suggested that you don't take your car out of gear unless necessary.

For me, it's more just live with whatever gas mileage I get.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.
Kamdog likes this.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #36 of 39 Old 10-25-2017, 03:52 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Much easier to turn on cruise control and just keep going, rather than the cycle of "neutral-gear-neutral-gear".

The idea is that it's easy to panic in certain situations and forget that you are not in gear. That's why it's usually suggested that you don't take your car out of gear unless necessary.

For me, it's more just live with whatever gas mileage I get.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.
Boi! When did I say I was lookin' for easy! It would be EASY to drive an automatic instead of a manual. It would be easy to drive with power steering. It would be easy to take the car to the dealer and fork over my hard earned money(okay, actually that wouldn't be easy). I don't look for the easy way! I look for the efficient way!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You high?
post #37 of 39 Old 10-25-2017, 05:07 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Boi! When did I say I was lookin' for easy! It would be EASY to drive an automatic instead of a manual. It would be easy to drive with power steering. It would be easy to take the car to the dealer and fork over my hard earned money(okay, actually that wouldn't be easy). I don't look for the easy way! I look for the efficient way!
Yes. It is easier to drive with power steering than without. I have done both. It is easier to drive with an AT than an MT, and I have done both. It used to be that an MT was better than an AT, but not any longer, although it is more fun. For some things, it is better to take it to the dealer, for some things it is the same but less expensive to take it to a private garage, and for some things it is better to DIY if you can.

Distinguishing between alternatives is possible, and often rewarding.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
post #38 of 39 Old 10-25-2017, 08:30 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
Yes. It is easier to drive with power steering than without. I have done both.
Oh yeah, it doesn't help that my car had power steering in the first place and I disabled it..So I got a heavy * car with power steering rack ratios without power steering.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You high?
post #39 of 39 Old 11-18-2017, 07:20 AM
1st Gear

Our 2015 EXL with 18,000 miles vibrates annoyingly while in the stop & go on I95 Stamford CT area at rush hours. Seems worse with the climate control on auto and in chilly weather. Seems worse than ever now. We had the CVT software fix several months ago. When just driving around town or highway, it is great and feels fine. As other posters have said, Honda should have designed something there to alleviate that. It borders on shuddering more than vibration lately. Car still under warranty so will keep an eye on it. Makes me want to consider trading for a 2017 V6. Should be able to get a good deal on one of those now with the '18 coming out. That is a very sweet 6.
Other than that, great car and amazingly peppy for a 4 CYL. CVT has taken some getting used to.
Advertisement

Tags
cvt, issue, problem, vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.