1st Gear

Sensing radar obstructed

Had never seen come up before. Radar was obstructed by snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miker and dugn like this.
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-10-2017, 09:49 AM
6th Gear

Happened to me on my new Highlander the second day I had it. Drove up to the twin cities through off-and-on snow. First time I tried out ACC I got about 30 seconds out of it before I got the message. Makes me wonder how autonomous cars are going to do in crummy weather.

2017 Toyota Highlander XLE. Yeah, so call me a traitor!!
2013 Accord Sedan EX-L Nav., Basque Red Pearl II; 100,000 miles
2004 Odyssey EX-L, Havasu Blue Metallic, 245,000 miles when my eldest son took it over
1998 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed, Heather Mist Metallic; went to live with my youngest son. Died Jan. 2015 with 246,000+, (right front axle broke).
The Following User Says Thank You to HondaBob For This Useful Post:
kishi_vtec (03-10-2017)
post #3 of 26 Old 03-10-2017, 10:25 AM
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS

Sorry just had to...

TH23, visionguru, Miker and 3 others like this.

2014 White Orchid Pearl/Ivory Accord EX-L V6 Sedan w/o Navi - CR3 Baby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fav Mods:

Plasti-Dip Chrome Grill Inserts

Gloss Black Vinyl Roof
ExLED Interior+Plate Lights
5000k Morimoto HIDs
2500k Nokya Yellow Fogs
V-LED V3 Triton Switchbacks
Takeda Black SRI
TEIN SB Coilovers+SPC 3-arm Rear Camber Kit
5G TLX V6 FWD 25.4mm (Hollow) RSB
AFD Splitters
8G Accord 19" HFP Wheels
H&R DRM 25mm Rear Spacers
The Following User Says Thank You to sLAKERZ For This Useful Post:
kishi_vtec (03-10-2017)

post #4 of 26 Old 03-10-2017, 12:20 PM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaBob View Post
Makes me wonder how autonomous cars are going to do in crummy weather.
Thought about this exact thing the last time I headed north in a snow storm - no way to control bad weather covering the sensing equipment.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Daughter's car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Son's car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
post #5 of 26 Old 03-10-2017, 12:27 PM
CVT

I experienced the same thing today due to the snow....I just ignored it until the sensor cleared itself away. I've experienced this years ago when I had my Infiniti.
The Following User Says Thank You to seldomseen For This Useful Post:
kishi_vtec (03-10-2017)
post #6 of 26 Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 PM
5th Gear

Well maybe they'll just restrict autonomous cars to places where it don't snow.

And/or they need to install a heater/defroster in the radar sensor enclosure to keep the snow off...??
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronch For This Useful Post:
kishi_vtec (03-10-2017)
post #7 of 26 Old 03-22-2017, 03:18 PM
6th Gear

OP your photo is incorrect. The radar is up in the windshield by the rearview mirror. In the 2013 to 2015 Touring models the radar was in the position you are pointing to.

Current:
2016 EX-L V6 w/ Navi/Sensing Sedan Black/Ivory
2013 EX-L V6 w/ Navi Sedan Black/Ivory *TRADED*
2016 Acura RDX w/ tech pkg White/Parchment
2003 EX-L V6 Sedan Black/Tan
2008 CRV EX AWD Black/Black

Previous:
1999 EX-L 4 Cyl. Sedan
1997 EX-L V6
post #8 of 26 Old 03-22-2017, 03:56 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDMaccord View Post
OP your photo is incorrect. The radar is up in the windshield by the rearview mirror. In the 2013 to 2015 Touring models the radar was in the position you are pointing to.
Don't think that's right...

I have a '16 Coupe EX CVT + Sensing and the radar is where the OP indicated. The radar is shared by ACC and CMBS systems. The area behind the rearview mirror is the camera for LKAS, RDM, auto high beams, auto-wipers, etc.

From the '16 Coupe manual:
The radar sensor is at the lower part of the front bumper.
TomFromMo likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronch For This Useful Post:
ImagioX1 (03-22-2017)
post #9 of 26 Old 03-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Go Mountaineers !

Garage
I was wondering if it would be possible to put some type of heater in that area to keep it clear ? Same thing happened to me on I-70 through Ohio in December 2015. Ran into a snow/ice squall and the front of the car was covered quickly and I got the same error message. I pulled over at the next rest stop, cleared the area, and was back in business.

2016 Honda Accord V6 Touring
post #10 of 26 Old 03-22-2017, 04:10 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFromMo View Post
I was wondering if it would be possible to put some type of heater in that area to keep it clear ? Same thing happened to me on I-70 through Ohio in December 2015. Ran into a snow/ice squall and the front of the car was covered quickly and I got the same error message. I pulled over at the next rest stop, cleared the area, and was back in business.
I did suggest auto makers should consider putting a heater in the radar detector a few posts earlier in this thread. Maybe I should patent the idea.
TomFromMo likes this.
post #11 of 26 Old 03-22-2017, 04:57 PM
5th Gear

Millimeter wave Radar doesn't work because of a dusting of snow? Huh, shouldn't there be planes plowing into each other every hour of every day? And the navy in the North Atlantic and Arctic Ocean must be totally fsck'ed 98.7% of the time. And I can only assume that during the Battle of Britain, the Luftwaffe only attacked on clear sunny days?

When oh when will mankind every invent a weather proof, remote detection device of some kind . This continual reliance on the Mk.I mammalian eyeball is a curse!!!
enne likes this.

Current Honda = 2015 Accord sedan: WOP Ex-L V6-6AT/Nav
Previous Hondas = 2007 Civic Ex Sedan (5spd-AT) & 1973 Civic 1200cc 5spd-MT hatchback
post #12 of 26 Old 03-22-2017, 05:16 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC View Post
Millimeter wave Radar doesn't work because of a dusting of snow? Huh, shouldn't there be planes plowing into each other every hour of every day? And the navy in the North Atlantic and Arctic Ocean must be totally fsck'ed 98.7% of the time. And I can only assume that during the Battle of Britain, the Luftwaffe only attacked on clear sunny days?

When oh when will mankind every invent a weather proof, remote detection device of some kind . This continual reliance on the Mk.I mammalian eyeball is a curse!!!
Don't know about the Luftwaffe, but I bet every modern plane and ship has some sort of heating in their radar domes. And guess I'm too late with a patent, since a has already been granted for my idea.
post #13 of 26 Old 03-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
This is why true self-driving cars will never become a reality.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #14 of 26 Old 03-22-2017, 06:10 PM
6th Gear

OMG, the radar isn't working!
Whatever shall I do?

2008 Coupe V6
post #15 of 26 Old 03-22-2017, 06:13 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronch View Post
Don't know about the Luftwaffe, but I bet every modern plane and ship has some sort of heating in their radar domes. And guess I'm too late with a patent, since a has already been granted for my idea.
Actually, my point is that for many radars, they do not. They have simple plastic or ceramic covers over the receivers, and they work just fine in rain, sleet, snow, extreme cold and so forth. Large military radars put out so much energy they are always very warm, but recreational boat radars, small plane weather radars and such devices do not. A radar receptor covered in light snow should not be impeded in any way at all. It's ridiculously that the snow shown in the OP's photo shut down the dang receptor for a low energy millimeter radar at short ranges. If that is sufficient to impede such systems, then there is no point putting them in car's to begin with. The OP's photo shows a mere dusting of snow, and it's even melting on the roadway, so hardly some extreme weather. They get that kind of thing in Florida and Victoria B.C. at times!

I have been at sea on scientific research ships in the North Atlantic using commercial weather and navigation radar, with the radar antennae caked in ice, snow and sleet, and they work just fine. No heating or clearing required to use what is inherently meant to be an all weather remote detection system.

Current Honda = 2015 Accord sedan: WOP Ex-L V6-6AT/Nav
Previous Hondas = 2007 Civic Ex Sedan (5spd-AT) & 1973 Civic 1200cc 5spd-MT hatchback
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.