Honda Accord EX-L V6 2017 Model - Push Button start issues - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-04-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Honda Accord EX-L V6 2017 Model - Push Button start issues

Hello all,

I recently purchased a honda accord EX-L V6 2017 with honda sensing. The car was working just fine until I ran into a push button start issue. Worst part is that it is an intermittent issue. It does not happen always. Well, coming to the problem. The car does not start even when the key fob is present in the car, brake pedal pressed and gear on park. I spoke to the car service guys they already did a hard reset on the software of the car, but it doesn't seem to help either. I have again given the car to the dealer and asked him to figure out what the issue is. (I am suspecting it to be an issue with the keyless entry module). Will update if there is any word from the dealer.

Please let me know if you guys ran into this issue at some point.

Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-04-2017, 04:39 PM
6th Gear

Garage
Have you tested both fobs? I'd rule out an issue there first. And what do you mean by "doesn't start"? Does it not even crank?

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory
post #3 of 21 Old 03-04-2017, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

Could be the battery in the key fob. My dads Rogue has the same issue with the key fob. Will open the door but won't let him start it.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 PM
5th Gear

May not be useful since you already left the car at the dealership. But hold the fob right next to the Start button and press Start. If the battery is weak, this should still allow the car to start.

Either way, let us know what they find out...
Miker likes this.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Elvira - the car

Are you getting a message on the dash like "No Key" or the push to start is blinking?

The FOB opens the doors OK?

Try this....

Push start button twice to get to engine ON position but don't touch the brake pedal (engine won't start) Is dash lit up? NO start button might indeed be bad including module. Dash lights up? YES continue...

Leave the start button alone, Step on the brake pedal a couple times and listen for the clicking in the gear lever area.

Is it clicking? NO ? brake switch might be bad (even new cars can get a bad component) You could check the brake lights to see if brake application lights them.

With foot depressing brake, try to shift out of Park. Does it shift? NO solenoid that unlocks shifter might be bad.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
The Following User Says Thank You to Miker For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 21 Old 03-05-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Yep tried both keys nothing works!

Thank you all for your responses.

It's not a battery issue since the lights, honks and the keyless entry system work fine. I checked if it was an issue with the brakes as well. Doesn't seem like it has to do anything with the brakes. The weird part is that none of the electrical systems kick in when I press the start button, let alone the engine. No whirring on the starter as well. There is no sound when I press the start button(with brake pedal pressed or even without). It's like the whole system is dead(No lights on the odometer screen, the infotainment screen won't turn on), but there is a small red light that blinks on the odometer when I open the door which the dealer told is the security system lights.

I initially suspected it to be a key fob battery issue and tried placing the key fob right next to the start button to start it, that didn't work either.

And another interesting part is that when I towed the vehicle to the dealer(which is so painfull when it happens to your new car), those jerks that the vehicle takes while we tow that vehicle some how probably shakes a few components inside the car and the car starts up at the Honda dealership place after being towed (mind blown).

Will give a update once I have something from the service guys. It could be something as simple as a loose wire contact or probably a faulty component.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 08-10-2017 at 09:38 PM. Reason: merge
The Following User Says Thank You to Hithesh Krish For This Useful Post:
Miker (03-05-2017)
post #7 of 21 Old 03-05-2017, 11:52 AM
5th Gear

Yeah definitely sucks to have issues with a brand new car, you buy new for a reason huh...
JFM likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-05-2017, 03:42 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hithesh View Post

...and the car starts up at the Honda dealership place after being towed (mind blown).
It's possessed!

A bad connection at the battery posts or a bad ground connection somewhere?

Hope you don't get the typical Honda dealer's "Can't reproduce" response!
post #9 of 21 Old 03-05-2017, 04:34 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronch View Post
It's possessed!

A bad connection at the battery posts or a bad ground connection somewhere?

Hope you don't get the typical Honda dealer's "Can't reproduce" response!
Nothing worse than intermittent problems. Its much better when something doesn't work.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 20K (current)

Past cars
2002 Acura TL-S 206K
1996 Nissan Maxima SE 5-Spd 110K
1980 Volvo 242 GT 425K

Other Hondas in family
2017 Accord Sport (mom's)

Past Accords
2000 Accord EX-L V6 (mom's) 100.5K (transmission failed)
post #10 of 21 Old 03-05-2017, 11:18 PM
4th Gear

Make a video of it. That way you can play it back for them, while the "magical" tow to the dealership fixes the problem.
jreuschl and hondaohio like this.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 20K (current)

Past cars
2002 Acura TL-S 206K
1996 Nissan Maxima SE 5-Spd 110K
1980 Volvo 242 GT 425K

Other Hondas in family
2017 Accord Sport (mom's)

Past Accords
2000 Accord EX-L V6 (mom's) 100.5K (transmission failed)
post #11 of 21 Old 03-06-2017, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Ronch - Yep, they did give me the same response, "Can't reproduce!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspire02 View Post
Make a video of it. That way you can play it back for them, while the "magical" tow to the dealership fixes the problem.
This ^^ At least you can have it documented and show them what you're doing. Make sure you have the key in the video right next to the start button to show that it's not working.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 08-10-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: merge
post #12 of 21 Old 03-06-2017, 05:17 AM
4th Gear

My 2015 EX-L V6 Coupe has been doing the same thing intermittently lately. It unlocks the car with no problem, I get in and press brake and start button and all I get is the 3 beeps and "no key" message on the dash. Like it doesn't register that the key is in the car. Even holding it up to the start button doesn't work. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 tries and for whatever reason, it eventually recognizes the key in the car. Very random and intermittent.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6AT
The Following User Says Thank You to AccordULEV For This Useful Post:
post #13 of 21 Old 03-06-2017, 06:34 PM
My First Post

I had that issue on my 9th gen Civic Si, it turned out to be a clutch sensor issue, however, I did get a check starter message on the Si. Could be a sensor related to the starter. On automatics, it'll be with the brake, in manual, with the clutch.

I haven't had a starter issue yet with my 2016 Accord Coupe starter system yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobV For This Useful Post:
post #14 of 21 Old 03-06-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks RobV. Will call up the service staff tomorrow and ask them to check for the brake sensors.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-02-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Update on the start up issue (Fixed) :)

The issue with my accord EX-L V6 was with the faulty relay and loose connections. The dealer told me that they have also replaced the relay responsible for reading the fuel levels. The Honda technician also told me the he has already seen three of these issues on the EX-L 2017 model (That's pretty sad). The car is working fine now. No issues anymore, so I guess it was the loose connections and the faulty relay.

Thanks for all you responses. Hopefully this post helps someone going through the same issue.

- Hithesh

JFM likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hithesh Krish For This Useful Post:
Inspire02 (04-02-2017), Miker (04-03-2017)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.