2013 Honda Accord - Battery Voltage Fluctuates - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
  • 1 Post By cookieman214
  • 1 Post By Miker
  • 1 Post By LENSPEC
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-23-2017, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2013 Honda Accord - Battery Voltage Fluctuates

I've been monitoring the battery voltage through my OBD2 sensor. While I'm driving, the battery voltage moves from 14.1 V to 12.5 V. It's not constant or follows a pattern. Sometimes it'll stay at 14.1 V. Other times it'll bounce between these voltages or stay at 12.5 V. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the alternator?

Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-23-2017, 06:01 AM
5th Gear

Normal. A perfect case of "Too Much Information" This how the newer alternators are designed to work. They are designed for maximum fuel economy, and only charge as needed.

Miker likes this.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Out of Control

The ELD (Electrical Load Detector) has been around since the early 90's. Basically if there is low current draw from the electrical system, the alternator is commanded to charge in low mode. If the current draw from the Electrical system is higher (AC on, headlights on, defroster on...Etc) the alternator is charging in high mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles

post #4 of 12 Old 02-23-2017, 11:20 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgotya View Post
I've been monitoring the battery voltage through my OBD2 sensor. While I'm driving, the battery voltage moves from 14.1 V to 12.5 V. It's not constant or follows a pattern. Sometimes it'll stay at 14.1 V. Other times it'll bounce between these voltages or stay at 12.5 V. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the alternator?
{bolded}
IMO this ELD is exactly why these batteries die so soon, especially the 51's. Low capacity and the one step forward, two back way of charging the battery. I NEED to drive my daily route with the headlights on always since my 15 mile trip would NEVER go to 14.4 Volts, during the trip if I didn't.

Idle in Park, No lights, 14.4 volts. Drive with no lights 12.6 V. Drive and Turn lights on, 14.4 V. Route is 5 miles stop/go (suburban) 10 miles 65 MPH expressway, no traffic slow downs ever.

It (ELD) saves on gas and HP, but blows it in extra charging, new batteries every few years (earlier than necessary), aggravation.

That's the way it is though.

My suggestion to you is to run with the lights on at all times especially if there is not enough miles in your trips to charge the battery properly at 12.6 V.
KW2004Accord likes this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #5 of 12 Old 02-23-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-25-2017, 12:38 PM
2nd Gear

What's funny to me is, I just bought one of those little battery voltage indicators that just plugs into the charging port. Just as OP described, I've noticed that it fluctuates between 12.5v and 14.5v randomly, with no rhyme or reason.

Reading this thread explained why, so thanks peepz!
Miker likes this.

2017 Accord EX-L V6 (4DR 6AT) -current car
2014 Accord Sport (4DR CVT) -traded in
2011 Civic Si (4DR 6MT) - totalled :(
2011 CRZ (2DR CVT) - traded in
2008 Civic EX (2DR 5MT) - traded in
post #7 of 12 Old 03-01-2017, 11:18 AM
4th Gear

This thread caught my eye several days ago and I finally found my Elmscan OBD-II device. I made a 10 mile round trip today and monitored the control module voltage as well as the adapter voltage. The voltage at the adapter (and would imagine this is the same as you'd see at the 12V accessory outlet / cigarette lighter) was a constant 14.3V. The control module adapter bounced around a little between 13.8 and 14.3V. I checked with different current draws - headlights, A/C fan, audio system all in different variations of on and off from all off to all on at once and while driving as well as idle.

Never dropped below 13.8V. I understand that voltage and current output are regulated intelligently by a control module but if charge voltage drops to 12.5V, then that is essentially no charging at all. That wouldn't be enough to overcome the electromotive force needed to push electrons into the battery.

I'll continue watching mine for a few days to see what it does and post back. It's kind of wild that Honda would allow the battery to ever be in a discharging state for any length of time.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6AT
post #8 of 12 Old 03-02-2017, 05:54 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordULEV View Post

I'll continue watching mine for a few days to see what it does and post back. It's kind of wild that Honda would allow the battery to ever be in a discharging state for any length of time.
Why? We know that the battery is not being charged at a constant, steady rate.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-02-2017, 06:23 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman214 View Post
Why? We know that the battery is not being charged at a constant, steady rate.
Charge rate is variable, sure. But dropping to 12.5V is abnormal. There is no charging at all happening at that voltage.

Checked again last night. Mine never drops below 13.7V. There is fluctuation, yes but the alternator never just stops charging the battery altogether.

post #10 of 12 Old 03-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordULEV View Post
Charge rate is variable, sure. But dropping to 12.5V is abnormal. There is no charging at all happening at that voltage.

Checked again last night. Mine never drops below 13.7V. There is fluctuation, yes but the alternator never just stops charging the battery altogether.
I also have one of those power port meters and it is reading .3-.4 volts LOWER than at the battery posts. I measure 12.3VDC power port, 12.65 VDC at posts (engine not running). There must be a huge voltage drop at the power port OR the power port is regulated differently to avoid frying electronics. So I don't rely on the voltage reading taken there as gospel.

The meter itself is accurate. I verified it to a calibrated voltmeter and it is accurate. Go figure a 15.00 meter that accurate !

I'll need to do a live data dump as you did on my daily drive.

AccordULEV was your trip including stop/go and highway speeds? I've read that the ELD will not charge anything below a steady 3K (70 mph = about 2k rpm "V6") but will at 10-45 mph and at idle. TIA

keep_hope_alive had a great thread regarding his workaround and IIRC he stated that earlier models(2013? included) drops unless AC or headlights are on. Maybe your 2015 has fixed that with a software update.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #11 of 12 Old 03-06-2017, 05:32 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
I also have one of those power port meters and it is reading .3-.4 volts LOWER than at the battery posts. I measure 12.3VDC power port, 12.65 VDC at posts (engine not running). There must be a huge voltage drop at the power port OR the power port is regulated differently to avoid frying electronics. So I don't rely on the voltage reading taken there as gospel.

The meter itself is accurate. I verified it to a calibrated voltmeter and it is accurate. Go figure a 15.00 meter that accurate !

I'll need to do a live data dump as you did on my daily drive.

AccordULEV was your trip including stop/go and highway speeds? I've read that the ELD will not charge anything below a steady 3K (70 mph = about 2k rpm "V6") but will at 10-45 mph and at idle. TIA

keep_hope_alive had a great thread regarding his workaround and IIRC he stated that earlier models(2013? included) drops unless AC or headlights are on. Maybe your 2015 has fixed that with a software update.

I've been monitoring mine. The ELD is perhaps programmed differently on mine (?). I have monitored at highway speed (70-80mph), around town (25-40mph) and at idle. All situations with headlights on/off, radio on/off, A/C fan on/off - ALL accessories OFF at idle. It makes no difference. I see 13.7V minimum, normally 14.0V and as high as 14.3 V at the control module (I assume this is a direct voltage from the alternator) and a consistent/steady 14.3 volts at the OBDII adapter, which I assume is after the voltage has been passed through the voltage regulator so that the signal has been cleaned up. Voltage at the adapter does not fluctuate at all ever.

The Following User Says Thank You to AccordULEV For This Useful Post:
Miker (03-06-2017)
post #12 of 12 Old 03-09-2017, 06:05 AM
Acoustics BSEE

it is not uncommon to measure a voltage drop at the power port in the dash relative to the battery. the factory wiring is small and will have measurable voltage drop.

yes, our alt is controlled by the ECM and regulates output at 12.5VDC to match the battery float voltage and reduce the load on the engine by the alternator.

with headlights on it jumps to 14.4VDC to resolve the dimming issues people use to report on older generations.

when braking or coasting, it jumps to 14.4VDC for "regenerative" effects.

i have a few youtube videos demonstrating this.

2014 Accord Sport
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Accord EX V6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Electrical basics and Car Audio (click links below):

--

--
---
The Following User Says Thank You to keep_hope_alive For This Useful Post:
Miker (03-09-2017)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.