S gear without Paddle Shift - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-18-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

S gear without Paddle Shift

I was reading online, and some people say that when they use the S gear without the paddleshifts, it only goes to gear 3 and the RPM stays on the red.... However my 2013 accord coupe does not do that... I floored the car from 0KPH with the S gear without the paddle shifts... The car went all the way to 220KPH and the RPM adjusted itself accordingly.. So im confused, what is the difference between using the paddle shifts on the S gear or not using it on the S gear?

Last edited by ATTARI; 01-18-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Silver Ghost II

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to SoCaliEd
Hi Attari - If you have an i4, you have simulated gears as your trans in a CVT transmission. Placing an I4 into "S" mode simply changes the "simulated" gear shift points, for more "spirited" driving.

If you have a V6, you have a 6 speed transmission. When placing the 9th Gen V6 into "S" mode, the trans will only shift through 5 gears - the paddle shifters will not shift the vehicle into 6th gear.

I have a 2014 Touring and a 2012 V6 Coupe. "S" Mode in the Touring limits gear shifts to the 5th gear.

In my 2012 V6 coupe, its a completely different story. When parked, and then placing the car into "S" mode, my car will only shift 1-2-3, and hold 3rd gear until redline. However, If I was already driving, and shifted into "S" mode, the car will shift all 5 gears, abit at a higher RPM. But, when I stop, and still in "S" Mode, my car will only shift 1-2-3, and hold 3rd until redline. My Paddle Shifters work the same whether in "Normal" or "S" mode, although, if in "S" Mode, you can downshift from 2nd to 1st at 30 MPH, whereas in "Normal" Mode, you can only downshift from 2nd to 1st at 20MPH.

The Following User Says Thank You to SoCaliEd For This Useful Post:
ATTARI (01-19-2017)
post #3 of 15 Old 01-18-2017, 10:07 PM
2nd Gear

Must be nice. On 2013+ you cant downshift to 1st unless you're stopped, and it does that automatically anyway

2015 V6AT Coupe

RV6 Jpipe
Muffler Delete
KTuner
Megan Coilovers
25.4mm Acura RSB
18x9 Enkei RPF1s - 11lb under stock
Enough audio equipment to make all of that pointless

post #4 of 15 Old 01-19-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

SoCalied! - Thank you for your response! I have the 2013 Accord Coupe EX-L Navi V6 model with HFP kit on it.
What do you think is faster, using the paddleshift on S, or without on S?

Cheers!

<--- This is the pic of it
post #5 of 15 Old 01-21-2017, 09:20 AM
1st Gear

In theory I like s mode on my 16 touring but it sucks in practice. I don't need the shift point at 5.5k when I'm in my neighborhood at 20mph. wish it had paddles..
post #6 of 15 Old 01-21-2017, 10:30 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliEd View Post
Hi Attari - If you have an i4, you have simulated gears as your trans in a CVT transmission. Placing an I4 into "S" mode simply changes the "simulated" gear shift points, for more "spirited" driving.

If you have a V6, you have a 6 speed transmission. When placing the 9th Gen V6 into "S" mode, the trans will only shift through 5 gears - the paddle shifters will not shift the vehicle into 6th gear.

I have a 2014 Touring and a 2012 V6 Coupe. "S" Mode in the Touring limits gear shifts to the 5th gear.

In my 2012 V6 coupe, its a completely different story. When parked, and then placing the car into "S" mode, my car will only shift 1-2-3, and hold 3rd gear until redline. However, If I was already driving, and shifted into "S" mode, the car will shift all 5 gears, abit at a higher RPM. But, when I stop, and still in "S" Mode, my car will only shift 1-2-3, and hold 3rd until redline. My Paddle Shifters work the same whether in "Normal" or "S" mode, although, if in "S" Mode, you can downshift from 2nd to 1st at 30 MPH, whereas in "Normal" Mode, you can only downshift from 2nd to 1st at 20MPH.
I have a 2017 Touring Coupe, which does have the paddle shifters. Since I have had it for only 4 weeks, I wanted to test your statement about "S" mode limiting shifts to the 5th gear. I drove on a street which has a 50 mph speed limit. I was able to upshift to 6th gear at about 45 mph. Maybe it is a difference in model years.

2017 Accord Touring Coupe CBP/Black
CH Interior LED
Console Tray
Tint 28% front, 15% rear - Florida legal
WOLO Sonicblast horns
post #7 of 15 Old 01-21-2017, 06:47 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspressart View Post
I have a 2017 Touring Coupe, which does have the paddle shifters. Since I have had it for only 4 weeks, I wanted to test your statement about "S" mode limiting shifts to the 5th gear. I drove on a street which has a 50 mph speed limit. I was able to upshift to 6th gear at about 45 mph. Maybe it is a difference in model years.
May have been a typo above. You are correct - my 2015 EX-L V6 works the same. You can shift between 1 through 6, depending on speed. Also, FYI, 37-38mph is the 5-6 shift threshold. With very light throttle, you can get into 6th gear at just shy of 40 mph.

Now just leaving it in S mode without using paddle shifters, this is correct. It locks you into 5th gear. If I use S mode, I only use it very briefly and get back into D or use paddle shifters. Honda did not do the greatest job in designing the shift algorithm for S mode.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6AT
post #8 of 15 Old 01-21-2017, 06:59 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordULEV View Post
May have been a typo above. You are correct - my 2015 EX-L V6 works the same. You can shift between 1 through 6, depending on speed. Also, FYI, 37-38mph is the 5-6 shift threshold. With very light throttle, you can get into 6th gear at just shy of 40 mph.

Now just leaving it in S mode without using paddle shifters, this is correct. It locks you into 5th gear. If I use S mode, I only use it very briefly and get back into D or use paddle shifters. Honda did not do the greatest job in designing the shift algorithm for S mode.
I think that the whole idea of having an automatic transmission emulate a manual is a compromise. My previous ride was a 2011 BMW 335i 6-speed automatic. It had sport mode and paddle shifters as well. The sport mode gear changes were very jarring, especially the lower gears. I have to admit that because of the HP and low-end torque in regular drive mode, I did not use sport mode as much because of that jarring effect. It is smoother in my Accord

CH Interior LED
Console Tray
WOLO Sonicblast horns
post #9 of 15 Old 01-21-2017, 07:06 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
I think that the whole idea of having an automatic transmission emulate a manual is a compromise. My previous ride was a 2011 BMW 335i 6-speed automatic. It had sport mode and paddle shifters as well. The sport mode gear changes were very jarring, especially the lower gears. I have to admit that because of the HP and low-end torque in regular drive mode, I did not use sport mode as much because of that jarring effect. It is smoother in my Accord
Yep. It doesn't seem that anything actually changes with the shift itself, just higher rpms and more touchy throttle.

The one thing I REALLY like about the paddle shifters in the Honda is that (unless speed is too low), it will not downshift even if going WOT. Coincidentally, it won't upshift either - you can peg the rev limiter (except 1st gear). I use it all the time just to avoid needless downshifting going up hills.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6AT
post #10 of 15 Old 01-29-2017, 08:59 PM
Silver Ghost II

Garage
In my 12' Coupe, I prefer to place the car in "S" mode and use the paddle shifters. You get a littler more "fun" from the engine. Also, the 14' Touring only has an "S" mode, not paddle snifters - it's the sedan. Sorry for not clarifying as it was my assumption that the paddle shifters in the 9th gen coupes worked the same way as my 14' sedan with a similar transmission, but no paddle shifters. But, as demonstrated here, you can shift from 1-6 in "S" mode with the paddle shifters.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-30-2017, 12:41 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliEd View Post
But, as demonstrated here, you can shift from 1-6 in "S" mode with the paddle shifters.
The manual that came with my '16 I4 CVT Coupe says:

When the shift lever is in (S) ● Pulling a paddle shifter changes the mode from continuously variable transmission (CVT) to 7-speed manual shift mode.

When the shift lever is in (D) ● Pulling a paddle shifter temporarily changes the mode from continuously variable transmission (CVT) to 7-speed manual shift mode. The selected speed number is displayed in the shift indicator.
So why is everybody saying they can only paddle shift 1 though 6?

Guess I'll have to try it out for myself...
post #12 of 15 Old 01-30-2017, 02:06 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
The reason is simple, the manual transmission is on life support except in third world countries where low prices are important. Honda doesn't release figures for MT Accord sales but they are less than 7%. High end super cars have automatic transmissions with paddle shifters. F1 racing cars have automatic transmissions with paddle shifters.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #13 of 15 Old 01-30-2017, 02:32 PM
pessimistic optimist

Actually, Flyboy, F1 cars use a hydraulically actuated electronically shifted SEQUENTIAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION, they even retain the clutch pedal for taking off from a dead stop. So I guess formula one is on life support except in third world countries too huh?

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals Killed by a dump truck 12-13-2017
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter, 15mm spacers (rear) 35% tint
post #14 of 15 Old 01-30-2017, 06:31 PM
3rd Gear

I think this whole "manual vs automatic" is an ego trip. If you can effectively use a manual transmission than you believe you are better than one who can only use an automatic. I reviewed the list of cars I have owned in the 50 years of my license history. Some were manual, some were automatic. Each was bought/leased for the best cost/use at the time. If you can drive a manual efficiently, congratulations. In normal use in modern-day traffic, a current automatic will be as "efficient" as a manual.

CH Interior LED
Console Tray
WOLO Sonicblast horns
post #15 of 15 Old 01-30-2017, 11:57 PM
Silver Ghost II

Garage
Hi Ronch, I'm referring to a V6 8th and 9th Gen Accords. I have to admit, I'm not that familiar with the operations of Honda's CVT - but, I took a glance here , and see how the CVT works. According to the article, 9th Gen I4 Accords equipped with the CVT have 7 spaced rations that can be implemented with the paddle shifters. ATTARI reports that he has a 2013 Accord Coupe EX-L Navi V6, which has a 6 speed transmission, and based on his description and question, I believe it's an 6 speed automatic.

I will say this, the Accord Coupes equipped with the V6 and an Automatic Transmission, the Paddle shifters are a welcomed addition, which makes the coupes a bit more sporty, though not being RWD or a true "Sports" car. My experience has been that at least twice a week, I find myself in "S" mode to have some fun.

Advertisement

Tags
accord coupe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.