Important software update - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
  • 1 Post By Miker
  • 2 Post By Ronch
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-28-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Beginner

Important software update

I received a letter from honda saying that my car needs an important software update. It says that under certain driving conditions this software issue may cause the transmission belt to slip. Has anyone had this done? What issue does this update resolve and how long does it take? Thanks!

2015 Accord sport MSM
- 3M color stable 50%
- Tein coilovers
- SPC rear camber kit
- EX3 roof spoiler
- Sport horn
The Following User Says Thank You to bf4noob73 For This Useful Post:
Ultraviolence (12-28-2016)
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Just Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf4noob73 View Post
I received a letter from honda saying that my car needs an important software update. It says that under certain driving conditions this software issue may cause the transmission belt to slip. Has anyone had this done? What issue does this update resolve and how long does it take? Thanks!

I haven't received any notice like this. Sounds quite scary! What year, model, trim vehicle do you have? Did you receive this notice via email or regular mail? I'll have to be on the lookout for a notice like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Honda Accord EX-L with Navi
4 Door Sedan, 4 cylinder, auto CVT.

Typos courtesy of iPhone ;P

Owner, 2013 Honda Accord EX-L with Navi
Previously Owned, 2015 Honda Civic EX-L with Navi
Previously Owned, 2014 Honda Civic EX-L with Navi
post #3 of 14 Old 12-28-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Beginner

Regular mail, I have a 2015 sport cvt. I don't know if this notice would be send through email. Is this a huge issue like a recall or something?

2015 Accord sport MSM
- 3M color stable 50%
- Tein coilovers
- SPC rear camber kit
- EX3 roof spoiler
- Sport horn

post #4 of 14 Old 12-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Elvira - the car

This may be what the letter is about.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 16-053.pdf (221.8 KB, 1682 views)
versedispersed likes this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #5 of 14 Old 12-28-2016, 11:08 AM
5th Gear

Is there a Technical Service bulletin (TSB) number listed in the letter, like 16-053?

TSB 16-053 was issued last Aug for '15 and '16 Accords to update the CVT software because the belt might slip and cause the engine to rev when driving at highway speed. What you've described sounds a lot like that.

Just trying to figure out if there's another update or this is just a notice for TSB16-053, since you apparently haven't gotten that done yet. It takes less than 30 min (not counting wait time at the dealer).

If they find an error code in the computer, meaning the problem occurred more than once on your car, they will have to completely replace the CVT under the warranty. My dealer has done hundreds of 16-053 updates and never saw one that needed a new CVT.

EDIT: Miker types faster than I do.
Miker and versedispersed like this.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-28-2016, 11:22 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronch View Post
Is there a Technical Service bulletin (TSB) number listed in the letter, like 16-053?

TSB 16-053 was issued last Aug for '15 and '16 Accords to update the CVT software because the belt might slip and cause the engine to rev when driving at highway speed. What you've described sounds a lot like that.

Just trying to figure out if there's another update or this is just a notice for TSB16-053, since you apparently haven't gotten that done yet. It takes less than 30 min (not counting wait time at the dealer).

If they find an error code in the computer, meaning the problem occurred more than once on your car, they will have to completely replace the CVT under the warranty. My dealer has done hundreds of 16-053 updates and never saw one that needed a new CVT.

EDIT: Miker types faster than I do.
I'm on vacation this week and not worrying about the boss looking over my shoulder

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #7 of 14 Old 12-28-2016, 11:22 AM
Cruisin'

Garage
Yea, don't worry, I'm sure your CVT is running fine or else you would have reported it here. You should get it done though as it'll keep your car in compliance, and prevent the issue from occurring. As stated before the fix is quick and simple, the time waiting is mostly for your car to be serviced.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-29-2016, 06:39 AM
1st Gear

Software Update

I received this letter for my 2016 EXL. Didn't have any issues with it prior to the letter, took it to dealer they kept it for about 2 hours updated software still no issues.. The part that said they would look at error codes and depending on error code might replace CVT did get my attention.. Like earlier response said I bet there are not many that require replacement.. Take it in and get it taken care of no big deal
The Following User Says Thank You to watkinsti For This Useful Post:
drewscoups (12-29-2016)
post #9 of 14 Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 AM
Out of Control

Had it done to my wife's 2015 CR-V with no issues. They found no codes and they updated the software. It took about two hours. The CR-V has the same engine and transmission as the Accord.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #10 of 14 Old 12-29-2016, 10:12 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bf4noob73 View Post
Maybe its a phishing scam. Did they ask for your email address, password, VIN number?

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 103K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*LasFit 9005 HB3 highbeam / DRL 6500k
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
post #11 of 14 Old 12-29-2016, 05:44 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymike View Post
Maybe its a phishing scam. Did they ask for your email address, password, VIN number?
You can always call your dealer's service dept on the phone and give them your VIN. They'll tell you if you need the CVT update.

I've never received any notice directly from Honda about the CVT update. My '16 Coupe was in for a minor warranty issue in mid-Sept and the service advisor told me I needed the update. He hadn't even gotten the new software from Honda yet but he called me at beginning of Oct when it was available and we arranged an appointment.

If you don't get the update, and the CVT should fail, Honda might try to resist replacing the transmission under the warranty because the failure was preventable. So consider this as preventative maintenance and avoid any hassles...
post #12 of 14 Old 01-13-2017, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

I had to get this update for my 15' Accord. Held my car about about an hour and let me go. I noticed there was something funny going on shifting in city drive anywhere from 0-30mph, like a intermittent jerk now and then, but I just figured it was the CVT. After the update the car felt much smoother/responsive when stopping/going at low speeds.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-28-2017, 07:27 AM
1st Gear

We got the letter on our '15 Accord EX-L. Will have to schedule to get it in.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-28-2017, 12:31 PM
4th Gear

I had the power steering software update done for my '13 EX. I don't know if it updated anything else, but there is a noticeable improvement in the overall performance. Much smoother transmission is the most notable. I used to get a slight judder at times but it seems to have disappeared. Anyone else notice this in their car after the power steering update?

The Silver bullet
Advertisement

Tags
cvt slipping, tsb 16-053

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.