Honda Care Roadside Assistance vs AAA? Experience & Opinions - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-19-2016, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
03 Accord EX

Honda Care Roadside Assistance vs AAA? Experience & Opinions

First, I am posting this question here because Roadside assistance became standard on this generation in 2015. Also, someone posted a somewhat similar question in General Drive in November 2015 and no on replied.

I am in Maryland. I have 2015 accord that comes with Roadside Assistance plus I have the extended Honda Care for 8 years, 120,000 miles. It comes with everything that AAA comes with, but with towing exceptions. So:

battery jump start,
Lockout assistance,
towing,
tire change
and fuel delivery.

My AAA Premier membership is up for renewal and had not planned on renewing it. However, the one big limitation for me with the Honda roadside assistance is that the towing offered is only to closest Honda dealerships, I assume from the breakdown and not your home. My problem with this is two fold, I travel over 25 miles for many activities such as grocery shopping, to see family and friends. Also, I hate making rushed decisions; I would prefer to be towed to my house and then call the various dealerships and repair shops near me and figure out costs or whatever, particular if the reason for breakdown may not be covered under warranty such as flat or whatever. With AAA, I could get towed home and then after research, towed to whatever dealer/tire shop I choose.

1. Considering my qualms what would you consider?
2. Anyone decide to keep both services that did not necessarily need them?

2. Equally as important what has people's experiences been with Honda's roadside assistance? I bought the extended warranty online for a great price to control potential costs of repairs not really for the roadside assistance. So I technically still have a AAA budget.

You should know, I live alone and have only my one Honda which is more reason to not necessarily need AAA. But that towing limitation could be annoying and costly.

Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-19-2016, 09:10 AM
2nd Gear

I recently used my Honda Roadside service when I had a flat (see my previous thread regarding the illustrious tire repair kit). I have a pretty lengthy daily commute (90 miles each way), and the flat happened at around the halfway to work mark.

I called HRS, they got all my relevant info and contact info in a few minutes. They notified me that the tow to the closest dealer would be free (about 50 miles; closer to the work end of my drive), and contacted the tow company.

Incident occurred at around 6 AM, so I was told it would be about an 45-60 minute wait for the wrecker (rural West Virginia, not a lot of options). HRS sent me regular text messages to update as they got more info, including the tow company name and number.

Within a couple minutes of the wrecker showing up, HRS called to confirm they had arrived (automated call asking for a response via keypad to confirm).

Got another call from HRS once I got to the dealership, just to make sure I was happy with the service.

I've had AAA in the past - had the premium RV package, which included my car, dually truck, fifth wheel camper, motorcycle, etc. It was costing me almost 200 bucks a year, and I was getting very little use out of the membership "perks" - I had never used fuel delivery, jump starting, or towing. Had one lockout issue, and I think I got a TripTik once (pretty useless, GPS was a better option).

I now have basic roadside service through my auto insurance (Geico) - haven't used it yet, but it provides basic towing and similar services for a fraction of the cost...

The garage: 15 Jeep Renegade; 15 Accord Hybrid EX-L; 10 F350 DRW; 04 Aveo; 14 ElectraGlide Ultra; 13 Spyder RS-S; 68 Mustang; 67 Mustang - dang, I need a bigger garage...
post #3 of 3 Old 08-19-2016, 09:31 AM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

AAA sucks for a big city. The tow truck sub-contractors stay too busy and scheduling seems like it's done on the fly. I waited over an hour in a bad, bad, bad neighborhood. They supposedly put me on a "hot call" after I bugged them to death about my precarious situation. Finally they sent a guy in a car with yellow lights flashing who basically was there to help ward off the bad boys. It took 90 minutes to get a truck to me.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.