new TSB for 15-16 I4 CVT Accords (and CR-Vs) - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
24Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 149 Old 08-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
sorry GPz1100, i've been away for a while. transmissions are a big gray area for me, so i'm attaching a DTC description. it sounds to me like the expected output based on PCM input to the drive pulley mismatches so the code is set.

i have not yet done this update either. my VIN also still does not show any campaigns or TSBs, so i will keep driving as normal.
There is no way the dealer could fix these issues without a fix from Honda. Does anyone know how these issues are discovered and escalated through Honda since it's not a safety issue? If this issue occurred on a model in which few are sold and don't share parts does it just get overlooked? It's frustrating that owners can drive their cars for several years before a fix comes out.

Advertisement

post #47 of 149 Old 08-11-2016, 09:29 AM
6th Gear

Baconator,

Thanks for posting! That's exactly what I was looking for. From the doc,

Quote:
If the difference between the target drive pulley speed and the actual drive pulley speed
falls within a certain range when in D, S, L, or R, the PCM detects a malfunction in the CVT shift function and stores a DTC.
Quote:
Malfunction Threshold
The difference between the target drive pulley speed and the actual drive pulley speed [Input Shaft (Drive Pulley) Speed rpm] is 500
rpm or more for at least 18 seconds.
Which pulley is connected to the engine (by way or torque convertor), the drive pulley or driven pulley? Based on the above, it's the drive pulley, but that doesn't make sense (crank usually drives the input shaft of a trans).

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #48 of 149 Old 08-11-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Fully Automatic Sarcasm

Garage
im better with pics- see attached.
Attached Images

2016 Accord 2Dr EX, Modern Steel

post #49 of 149 Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 AM
6th Gear

^^Thanks, that's what I thought. So, it would seem that drive pulley rpm could be affected by the torque converter. Where I'm going with this is, I don't see it as a belt slippage issue, but rather an issue with torque converter slippage.

post #50 of 149 Old 08-11-2016, 11:46 AM
6th Gear

Primary driver of the car mirrored my impressions. Car has a heavier feel to it now. More throttle is needed for similar acceleration.

It's a bit of a catch 22. Sounds like not doing this tsb will cause premature wear and eventual failure of the trans. Otoh, performing it seems to degrade performance. I'd say if you're leasing the car, stay away from this. It'll be some time before we see how mpg is affected.

post #51 of 149 Old 08-12-2016, 03:16 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
Impressions?
The Accord is my wife's car. I rarely drive it, so I can't honestly say if it made a noticeable difference.
post #52 of 149 Old 08-12-2016, 05:46 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinehilljoe View Post
The Accord is my wife's car. I rarely drive it, so I can't honestly say if it made a noticeable difference.
I would second this. I had my update done on Tuesday morning when I was in for my first oil change (didn't realize my car was affected until I brought it in for service). The oil change and software update took a little over an hour. I can't say the car drives any differently. I'll also point out that I never really noticed an issue with the CVT before this - no judder, no vibration, no hesitation - the car drove perfectly fine and actually exceeded my expectations given the stigma associated with CVTs.

I also haven't noticed a change in fuel economy, although I've only consumed one tank since the update (admittedly small sample size).
post #53 of 149 Old 08-12-2016, 07:53 AM
1st Gear

Garage
Thanks 'Baconator' for sharing this info. Waiting on Honda to contact owners can sometimes take awhile.

Just got off the phone with customer svc (800)999-1009, and found out both my Accord (2016) and my wife's Accord (2015) are affected with STB 16-053. Good thing I called because the website to check for recalls and campaigns didn't show that we are affected. Maybe that's because it's referred to as a "Product Update" and not a recall. Called the local dealer and am taking my wife's 2015 in for the update this next Monday morning.

2016 Accord EX-L Navi & Sensing - Champagne Frosted Pearl
2015 Accord EX-L Basque Red Pearl

-------------- earlier cars --------------
2009 Camry, 2005 Camry, 2002 Camry, 1994 Camry, 1989 Camry, 1986 Mitsubishi Galant, 1986 Chrysler E-class, 1976 Chrysler Cordoba, 1972 Pontiac Lemans, 1969 Toyota Crown, 1965 Pontiac Lemans, 1956 Dodge Desoto, 1954 Chevy, 1953 Chevy, 1953 Hillman.
post #54 of 149 Old 08-15-2016, 08:55 AM
1st Gear

Garage
Just had this done

I brought in my car for it's first oil change (7,531 miles, 15% oil life). The service writer didn't mention this TSB to me, although truth be told, I might not have given him the chance. When I asked him about it, he did acknowledge it applies to my car and said it would be taken care of. He told me that the reason for it was that under some "very unique circumstances, the CVT belt could slip." Said the whole thing would take 1 1/2 to 2 hours, but they got it done in about an hour.
As far as results, on the short drive home from the dealer, I did feel the car actually drives slightly better, but this may be psychological. Prior to the update I did occasionally feel an extremely slight judder when doing soft acceleration at slow speeds. This appears to be gone.
I realize it may be controversial to say this, but I am now loving the way this car drives even more. After owning several cars with 4 speed automatics that always had at least one gear with a really hard shift, the feeling of effortlessness as my car accelerates is pure pleasure.
post #55 of 149 Old 08-15-2016, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

Garage
Update...
Just had the PCM program update or flashed per Svc. Bulletin 16-053 on my wife's '15 Accord EX-L. Took about an hour and a half total – but I also had oil changed and tires rotated. The service writer said that he's not seen anyone who needed a new CVT transmission as of yet. He said that owners should get a 'check engine light' if the CVT gets damaged due to the learning curve not being right.

2016 Accord EX-L Navi & Sensing - Champagne Frosted Pearl
2015 Accord EX-L Basque Red Pearl

-------------- earlier cars --------------
2009 Camry, 2005 Camry, 2002 Camry, 1994 Camry, 1989 Camry, 1986 Mitsubishi Galant, 1986 Chrysler E-class, 1976 Chrysler Cordoba, 1972 Pontiac Lemans, 1969 Toyota Crown, 1965 Pontiac Lemans, 1956 Dodge Desoto, 1954 Chevy, 1953 Chevy, 1953 Hillman.
post #56 of 149 Old 08-15-2016, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

I went in last week to have my car serviced and I told them that my transmission would jerk and hesitate from time to time. The service provider check to see if there was any updates and there was. Updated the software and noticed it was smoother till we left to so-cal the transmission would whine really loud to the point I thought it was just about to give out. I went in this morning to let the, know about it, I set up a new appointment to see what they'll tell me..

Treat others as you would want to be treated :)
post #57 of 149 Old 08-15-2016, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

just got the update done on my 15 lx. took around 1.5 hours including an A1 maintenance

car feels more solid. havent driven on the freeway yet tho. less weird vibrations and noises.

or maybe its just a placebo effect
post #58 of 149 Old 08-16-2016, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys,

I have a 16' ex-l cvt that I bought in December 2015. I have put 4800 miles so far and called my dealer to confirm that I do need the tsb performed. I am going in this coming Saturday to get it done. Will report back afterwards. So far though, my car drives fine but maybe i'll notice differences after the fix. Only thing that bothers me about this car is the dreaded rough idle vibration while stopped in D. Any way I can fix that? I asked the dealer about that and they said nothing is available. Thanks.
post #59 of 149 Old 08-17-2016, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

Hello, I just recently purchased a 2016 Accord EX-L, build date February 2016 last week(August 11, 2016) and now I found out that my car is affected by the TSB. Nevertheless, my point is that the dealer sold me the car without performing the TSB. Oh well, it must have been too new that they kinda overlooked it. Going to the dealer on Friday, and will report on updates!
post #60 of 149 Old 08-17-2016, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear

Garage
i had my '16 done three days ago. waited a few days to give feed back. the car is MUCH smoother now, less notchy on acceleration and the RPMs don't fluctuate at highway speeds anymore. it also feels a little more responsive but that could just be a placebo. it took my dealership about 30 minutes to do it.

Advertisement

Tags
cvt slipping, p1890

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.