CVT's Are Awesome...? Thread closed/ - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
82Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 06:49 AM
1st Gear

I was a bit skeptical of owning a CVT but have enjoyed the one in the CRV and the gas mileage has been good even for AWD. I have a MT 6spd truck to satisfy my non-sports-car (i.e. Not get myself into trouble) MT driving but still think the 5sp Auto that Honda made is one of my favorites ever with the 4cyl. The CVT is almost better than the old auto in several ways and I'm still "learning" what its like to drive it.

Really like how it bumps RPM when breaking and holds RPM when accelerating. Like others have said, using the cruise control really lets the MPG increase and let's the car be smart about Econ.

06 Accord 2.4 Auto, 15 CRV AWD CVT

Sgav8r likes this.
Advertisement

post #17 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones5 View Post
I am thinking of getting the V6 mt - have been wondering about gas mileage before making a decision.
Sorry for any hijacking here, but since the question was asked, my long-term average fuel economy is 27.5 mpg. Thats 50/50 city/hwy. At a steady 65 mph I get 33-34 mpg. If driven hard the cars mpg will drop into the low-20s very easily.

If I drove great distances, Id prefer the I4-6MT. Id sacrificed one second to 60 mph for an extra 8-10 mpg average. With a 0-60 time of 6.6 seconds, the I4-6MT is still pretty quick.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #18 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 09:26 AM
6th Gear

A consideration for the mt's. Ok, assuming it does get lower mpg, what does that equate to in the long term. If say you have to pay a few hundred more a year to drive a MT than auto I think it's still worth it

For sake of argument lets consider 12K miles a year driven.
23 mpg city driving = 522 gallons consumed
28 mpg city driving = 429 gallons consumed

Difference of 107 gallons, at $2.50/g avg that's ~$270 more in fuel costs per year, or $23 a month more. Small price to pay for the pleasure of driving a mt (if that's what floats your boat).

I've driven the accord cvt several thousand miles in the last few months back and forth between chicago and madison. Interstate driving is adequate. It's the backroads where more torque and better throttle response would be helpful.
Baldeagle likes this.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock

post #19 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Out of Control

On paper maybe but after owning a CRV CVT it feels worse than a conventional automatic with the exception of gear hunting on hills. The CVT is adequate but my purchase dollars will be better spent trying something else. The increase in MPG's versus decrease in engagement not worth it IMO. 0-30 acceleration is dismal. Hopefully they can make them more engaging with the turbos coming on the 10th gen. Obviously they are here to stay but for now my purchases will continue with V6 automatics which unfortunately has a very low probability of making it to the next Accord so it will be another brand or Trucks and larger SUV's for me until the CVT makes its way there.
Graycar likes this.
post #20 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 09:45 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
On paper maybe but after owning a CRV CVT it feels worse than a conventional automatic with the exception of gear hunting on hills. The CVT is adequate but my purchase dollars will be better spent trying something else. The increase in MPG's versus decrease in engagement not worth it IMO. 0-30 acceleration is dismal. Hopefully they can make them more engaging with the turbos coming on the 10th gen. Obviously they are here to stay but for now my purchases will continue with V6 automatics which unfortunately has a very low probability of making it to the next Accord so it will be another brand or Trucks and larger SUV's for me until the CVT makes its way there.

What about the 17 Ridgeline? It is "quicker" !
post #21 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn15 View Post
What about the 17 Ridgeline? It is "quicker" !
That's more about the V6.
post #22 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Out of Control

GPz1100 – many people spend much more than $23/month to buy a more expensive car for that greater fun factor.

Sgav8r

I really like Jason Fenske. He’s the guy in the Engineering Explained videos. In your video I thought he did a great job explaining the difference between engine torque and wheel torque as it relates to max acceleration, gearing, and max acceleration at a given vehicle speed. Those concepts reside at the very core of power delivery. Great stuff!

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #23 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 11:53 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutee View Post
Honda accord is not a sport car, so will see how long it can hold up for conservative drivers, and if the savings can cover the repairs if it failed. That is the bottom line. They can make something so great, but if the thing didn't last, then what is the point.

CVT is nice as long as it does not creat problems.
True. From some of the CVT threads I perused, owners have to change the CVT fluid every 15-20k miles.

Too bad the simplistic design of the e-CVT from Toyota only works on its hybrid models as even the Corolla's CVT is likely not an e-CVT.

post #24 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 12:05 PM
6th Gear

Baldeagle Exactly. We'd take the G up there but then I'd really want to have fun and having older folks in the car and flying around corners just doesn't work Not to mention, since late april we've literally racked up about 3K miles on the car. Prior to that, the car saw same mileage over a 12 month period. G mpg is somewhere in the mid 20's if driven conservatively on the hwy.

post #25 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 12:06 PM
6th Gear

I still don't hate my '16 CVT Sport compared to my old '13 6mt Sport.

Neither one are sports cars, though the 6mt was quicker off the line. I can count the number of times it's bothered me on 1 hand. It's an economical family sedan, not a sports car. The 'Sport' trim is for looks only with either transmission.

The CVT seems like a more fitting option for the Honda Accord.
post #26 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 12:14 PM
6th Gear

I don't understand why is the expectation high in regards to performance if one is shopping for an Accord. There is absolutely nothing rare, special, unique about it. Not even the 17 special edition model. The CVT is nothing special compare to 10 speed MT/AT. Better than 5 speed AT I suppose.
Sgav8r and Henry2024 like this.
post #27 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
I don't understand why is the expectation high in regards to performance if one is shopping for an Accord. There is absolutely nothing rare, special, unique about it. Not even the 17 special edition model. The CVT is nothing special compare to 10 speed MT/AT. Better than 5 speed AT I suppose.
I'd say probably because while the Accord IS a "practical family sedan" it does also manage to eek out slightly better "performance" than most other midisze sedans. I don't think anyone is foolish enough to think of an Accord as a "high-performance" automobile but the fact that they're reasonably responsive, have a decent amount of HP for their class, and out-accelerate (0-60) most other midsize sedans, a lot of buyers feel like they can have their safe, roomy car that gets good mileage and also have a little bit of fun too.
MackDaddy, Catfisha and Irv Le like this.

2015 Honda Accord Sport
CVT, Obsidian Blue Pearl
post #28 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 01:10 PM
The Keyless-Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
GPz1100 many people spend much more than $23/month to buy a more expensive car for that greater fun factor.

Sgav8r

I really like Jason Fenske. Hes the guy in the Engineering Explained videos. In your video I thought he did a great job explaining the difference between engine torque and wheel torque as it relates to max acceleration, gearing, and max acceleration at a given vehicle speed. Those concepts reside at the very core of power delivery. Great stuff!
Well crap...car mod or Physics for Gearheads? I think I'll stock up on ramen noodles ...I'd love to add another book to my little library!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
Baldeagle Exactly. We'd take the G up there but then I'd really want to have fun and having older folks in the car and flying around corners just doesn't work Not to mention, since late april we've literally racked up about 3K miles on the car. Prior to that, the car saw same mileage over a 12 month period. G mpg is somewhere in the mid 20's if driven conservatively on the hwy.
LMAO! That's a pretty funny mental image. I don't think my Grandma would've minded though; she drove pretty freakin' fast in "The Couch" (1994 Mercury Grand Marquis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwxjer View Post
I still don't hate my '16 CVT Sport compared to my old '13 6mt Sport.

Neither one are sports cars, though the 6mt was quicker off the line. I can count the number of times it's bothered me on 1 hand. It's an economical family sedan, not a sports car. The 'Sport' trim is for looks only with either transmission.

The CVT seems like a more fitting option for the Honda Accord.
Quote:
Well, for those of us that don't have the funds to buy a "sports car," we're gonna do our best to turn our Accords into something very special AND unique...

2014 3.5L Coupe EX-L, 6AT, SNP
RIP:
2001 Acura CL Type S, NBP
1992 Accord EX Sedan, AGP
1983 Accord Sedan, Desert Tan

Relunctantly obsessed with the 2016 Sport wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco View Post
Idiots demand 'infotainment systems' and cameras all over so even cars that used to be lightweight and spartan are turning into rolling makeup rooms for neurotic metrosexuals.
post #29 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 01:52 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfisha View Post
Well crap...car mod or Physics for Gearheads? I think I'll stock up on ramen noodles ...I'd love to add another book to my little library!

LMAO! That's a pretty funny mental image. I don't think my Grandma would've minded though; she drove pretty freakin' fast in "The Couch" (1994 Mercury Grand Marquis)

Well, for those of us that don't have the funds to buy a "sports car," we're gonna do our best to turn our Accords into something very special AND unique...

Well I argue that it is NOT special and unique to the market. Why should buyer pay top dollars to "special modified" car when modification hurt its value even more than the value of stock car.
post #30 of 139 Old 08-02-2016, 02:02 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfisha View Post
Ma has never driven. Quick direction changes generate lots of noise from the back seat. It's hard enough to even pass a car on a 2 lane road without getting an earful.

Catfisha likes this.

Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.