To trade in my 2013 6-6 or sell privately? - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
13Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 06:14 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm1469 View Post
If I may, with all due respect, I think you're going about it bass-ackward. You've fallen in love with the new car, and it's available. If it were me, I'd take the time to sell your car privately. Rent a car for a few days, then fall in love with the new one. Believe me (former car sales guy), whatever inconvenience it takes to sell your car privately is nothing compared to the b.s. you get at a dealer with a trade-in.

This is good advice, but just remember that the time between when you sell your current car and when you can actually local the new car you want and do the deal, may be weeks or even a month or more if you are dead set on a particular color or trim. You could be looking at renting a car for far longer than you might anticipate and really eat into the cost savings vs trading it in. Convenience is worth something, right? Now, if you just want a slightly used Lexus GS and are willing to accept a few different colors, selling privately might work out great.

Baldeagle likes this.

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 06:14 AM
5th Gear

I think slimm's suggestion makes a lot of sense, especially when looking to change cars because of back, leg or other health issues.

If it's a matter of seats and ride harshness, then you really need an extensive test drive (say several days of regular driving). The worst case scenario is you sell or trade your current car, finance a new one, and find out 6 months later your back problems are just as bad or even worse in the new one.

Current Honda = 2015 Accord sedan: WOP Ex-L V6-6AT/Nav
Previous Hondas = 2007 Civic Ex Sedan (5spd-AT) & 1973 Civic 1200cc 5spd-MT hatchback
post #18 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 06:41 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Yeah I don't mean to "mother" anyone here or to get off topic- but other than likes on the Facebook, your health is the most important thing. You don't want to get in another car and find your back/leg pain following you.

If the therapist told you to do stretches and get a different chair at work, walk more, lose weight, etc....do it.

I apologize for getting in your business- but I sold my 6 speed Stealth Twin Turbo to get my automatic Accord because of left knee issues (wrestling/motorcycle injuries). One week later, I felt much better, but not perfect. My cousin is close friends with one of the finest orthopedic surgeons in Chicago- so he asked me to stop in.

In less than an hour, I was told because of my flat arches, I needed to change shoes or get arch supports because everything was thrown out of whack. I am fine now. No knee issues.
MackDaddy and Baldeagle like this.

post #19 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 07:05 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Yeah I don't mean to "mother" anyone here or to get off topic- but other than likes on the Facebook, your health is the most important thing. You don't want to get in another car and find your back/leg pain following you.

If the therapist told you to do stretches and get a different chair at work, walk more, lose weight, etc....do it.

I apologize for getting in your business- but I sold my 6 speed Stealth Twin Turbo to get my automatic Accord because of left knee issues (wrestling/motorcycle injuries). One week later, I felt much better, but not perfect. My cousin is close friends with one of the finest orthopedic surgeons in Chicago- so he asked me to stop in.

In less than an hour, I was told because of my flat arches, I needed to change shoes or get arch supports because everything was thrown out of whack. I am fine now. No knee issues.
+1

Find out what is wrong with your back. Changing the car may or may not do it for you.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
post #20 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 AM
6th Gear

white3actual, More power?

Specs indicate 306hp and 277 lb ft torque which is respectable for a 3.5L NA engine. Interesting to note the very high compression, 11.8:1. Even mpg is decent 19/28/22. Not too thrilled about the front grill, but that's a personal preference. Around here no one has a rwd only model, just awd. Also missing is the third pedal

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #21 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 08:28 AM
3rd Gear

according to edmunds, Arizona does have trade-in tax credit :

see note 2

prospective Honda driver: 2017 Accord LX
current: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #22 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 08:51 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
white3actual, More power?

Specs indicate 306hp and 277 lb ft torque which is respectable for a 3.5L NA engine. Interesting to note the very high compression, 11.8:1. Even mpg is decent 19/28/22. Not too thrilled about the front grill, but that's a personal preference. Around here no one has a rwd only model, just awd. Also missing is the third pedal
According to C&D, the IS350 F Sport has a slower 5-60 time and is one mph slower in the quarter mile than the 6-6. Even if the two cars were equal in straight line acceleration, considering the F Sport costs about 50% more I understand White’s “more power for the price point” comment.

Not knowing anything about the cause of Latin’s back issue, the GS Lexus is a VERY comfortable car.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #23 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Out of Control

One aspect no one mentioned is theft. Some prospective buyer takes you and the car for a test drive and then pulls out a pistol and steals your car. Or, worse shots you and then steals your car. Your car is a valuable asset and giving a stranger the keys for a test drive even with you in the car. Is the difference between a retail private sale and a trade worth the chance of bring injured or killed? Of course there is the hassle of advertising, showing and the paperwork involved in selling the car.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #24 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 09:10 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
According to C&D, the IS350 F Sport has a slower 5-60 time and is one mph slower in the quarter mile than the 6-6. Even if the two cars were equal in straight line acceleration, considering the F Sport costs about 50% more I understand White’s “more power for the price point” comment.

Not knowing anything about the cause of Latin’s back issue, the GS Lexus is a VERY comfortable car.
I can't argue this much further as I've yet to drive the lexus product. On paper at least it looks very presentable. Will I be as impressed when driving it, who knows. I will say this, i test drove a 2016 camaro 2ss at/6mt back to back. While both are the same cars with the only difference being the trans, the 6mt left a more favorable impression. The at suffered from a throttle lag of sorts.

0-60 and 1/4 mi times are one thing, but how the car behaves in non straight line driving is even more important. The lexus does have rwd going for it over the accord

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #25 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 09:19 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
One aspect no one mentioned is theft. Some prospective buyer takes you and the car for a test drive and then pulls out a pistol and steals your car. Or, worse shots you and then steals your car. Your car is a valuable asset and giving a stranger the keys for a test drive even with you in the car. Is the difference between a retail private sale and a trade worth the chance of bring injured or killed? Of course there is the hassle of advertising, showing and the paperwork involved in selling the car.
I take it that you are a big fan of Chicken Little.

GreenandGold831 likes this.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #26 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 09:35 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
He's in AZ so he wouldn't even need a permit to carry so I wouldn't be afraid of interacting with strangers.

2016 Accord Sport
post #27 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Qualifying for a loan is great, but not my point. As a very simple example, let’s say the Lexus cost $30,000. A $30,000 loan at 3% for four years would have a $664/month payment. If the dealership gave you $20,000 for your trade and you applied that toward your loan, you would only need a $10,000 loan. At 3% interest for 4 years, a $10,000 loan would have a $221/month payment. If your goal is to manage cash flow, you might not want a $664/month payment. Trading-in the car at the time of sale will reduce the loan amount. You really can't do that if you sell your car privately after you buy the Lexus.

Without turning this into too much of a financial discussion, would you rather have a high monthly payment and that $20,000 in the bank? Maybe you do. What’s the 4-year opportunity cost on that money? Do you think you can average MORE THAN the interest rate you must pay on that used-car loan over the next four years? And that needs to be after tax growth for a fair comparison. And how would you risk adjust that return because there is NO place to get 3%-4% guaranteed right now for four years? Of course if you had that $20,000 in the bank right now, you could withdraw it and reduce the Lexus' loan amount. When you eventually sell your 6-6, you could refill that bank account. There are many ways you can approach this, but this is the line of questioning I had hoped to raise.

If you don't have an extra $20,000 in cash right now (or someone willing to loan it to you) and you don't want a $600+ monthly payment, you may have no choice but to trade in your 6-6 to the dealership. And by the way, I'm pretty sure Arizona applies a trade-in tax credit based on your state's sales tax (6.5%) plus any additional local taxes based on where your dealership is located.
Thanks for all your advise man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white3actual View Post
I sold my 2014 EX-L 6-6 several months ago to a private buyer because the seats were giving me lower back pain. Like above i met the buyer at his local bank, signed some paperwork (i still had a lien), the bank cut me a check for the difference, and the paid off my loan. That same day I went into a Lexus dealership and bought my 2016 IS 350 F Sport. Lexus like many other manufacturers are offering pretty good interest rates on new cars.

I miss driving the six speed manual accord, but I sure love my Lexus. My only complaint is I wish it had more power for the price point.
Yeah i saw when you posted about the Lexus. It looks pretty sweet! I might have to copy you haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm1469 View Post
If I may, with all due respect, I think you're going about it bass-ackward. You've fallen in love with the new car, and it's available. If it were me, I'd take the time to sell your car privately. Rent a car for a few days, then fall in love with the new one. Believe me (former car sales guy), whatever inconvenience it takes to sell your car privately is nothing compared to the b.s. you get at a dealer with a trade-in.
Thanks for you advise! I think I will most definitely sell it privately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN9thSi View Post
This is good advice, but just remember that the time between when you sell your current car and when you can actually local the new car you want and do the deal, may be weeks or even a month or more if you are dead set on a particular color or trim. You could be looking at renting a car for far longer than you might anticipate and really eat into the cost savings vs trading it in. Convenience is worth something, right? Now, if you just want a slightly used Lexus GS and are willing to accept a few different colors, selling privately might work out great.
I'm just set on white or lighter colors haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post

Oh yeah I'm keeping up with what the PT suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
+1

Find out what is wrong with your back. Changing the car may or may not do it for you.
This is true. I did a search and found out that Lexus's have good seats for people with lower back issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1640 View Post
according to edmunds, Arizona does have trade-in tax credit :

see note 2
Awesome!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenandGold831 View Post
He's in AZ so he wouldn't even need a permit to carry so I wouldn't be afraid of interacting with strangers.

2013 San Marino Red V6 Coupe 6MT
S2000 HID Retrofit:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KTuner tuned:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRP racing pedals:

post #28 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 10:28 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Qualifying for a loan is great, but not my point. As a very simple example, let’s say the Lexus cost $30,000. A $30,000 loan at 3% for four years would have a $664/month payment. If the dealership gave you $20,000 for your trade and you applied that toward your loan, you would only need a $10,000 loan. At 3% interest for 4 years, a $10,000 loan would have a $221/month payment. If your goal is to manage cash flow, you might not want a $664/month payment. Trading-in the car at the time of sale will reduce the loan amount. You really can't do that if you sell your car privately after you buy the Lexus.
I don't understand your point at all. If you sell the car privately you can apply any amount you want as a downpayment and finance the rest. It doesn't matter if the downpayment is money from your bank account or value of a trade in. Some finance offers have a minimum loan amount but the form of downpayment is irrelevant. The only difference between trade in and private sale is a potential sales tax reduction in states that allow it, which on a 4 year old 6-6 coupe is probably worth less than $1000, far less than the value loss of private vs trade in.

Oh just saw that you wrote sell the car AFTER buying the new one. Well that assumes he has no savings to briefly borrow from. No access to temporary transport to allow for sale first etc.
post #29 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 11:10 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by thek View Post
I don't understand your point at all. If you sell the car privately you can apply any amount you want as a downpayment and finance the rest. It doesn't matter if the downpayment is money from your bank account or value of a trade in. Some finance offers have a minimum loan amount but the form of downpayment is irrelevant. The only difference between trade in and private sale is a potential sales tax reduction in states that allow it, which on a 4 year old 6-6 coupe is probably worth less than $1000, far less than the value loss of private vs trade in.

Oh just saw that you wrote sell the car AFTER buying the new one. Well that assumes he has no savings to briefly borrow from. No access to temporary transport to allow for sale first etc.
Yup. That was my point.

Although Latin did write “sell the Accord privately and then drop that money on the loan to pay it down that much faster.” While that is certainly an option it will reduce the timeframe of the loan but not reduce the payment. In my example if he dropped an extra $20,000 down in month #4 he must still live with that $600+ monthly payment for another year. That may or may not be an issue but worth considering before hand.

According to Edmunds dealer trade-in is about $17,200 and private sale is about $19,200. If he trades to a dealer for $17,200 and sales tax is 6.5%, the tax credit will be $1,118. That is the equivalent of selling his car privately for $18,318. If he can his car for $19,200 he will net an extra $882 ($19,200 -$18,318).

But something to remember when selling a used car is that it still depreciates about 1.2% per month. That means next month his $19,400 car will be worth $19,167. And the next month $18,937. In three months the car will be worth $18,709. Now the extra in his pocket is about $400. If insurance costs $75/month, that would been an added expense of $225. Now his gain is $175. Just more food for thought.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #30 of 38 Old 07-30-2016, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Yup. That was my point.

Although Latin did write “sell the Accord privately and then drop that money on the loan to pay it down that much faster.” While that is certainly an option it will reduce the timeframe of the loan but not reduce the payment. In my example if he dropped an extra $20,000 down in month #4 he must still live with that $600+ monthly payment for another year. That may or may not be an issue but worth considering before hand.

According to Edmunds dealer trade-in is about $17,200 and private sale is about $19,400. If he trades to a dealer for $17,200 and sales tax is 6.5%, the tax credit will be $1,118. That is the equivalent of selling his car privately for $18,318. If he can his car for $19,400 he will net an extra $1,082 ($19,400 -$18,318).

But something to remember when selling a used car is that it still depreciates about 1.2% per month. That means next month his $19,400 car will be worth $19,167. And the next month $18,937. In three months the car will be worth $18,709. Now the extra in his pocket is about $400. If insurance costs $75/month, that would been an added expense of $225. Now his gain is $175. Just more food for thought.
I really appreciate your input
Yeah I don't want to live with a high monthly payment for a year after shortening the time frame of the loan.

2013 San Marino Red V6 Coupe 6MT
S2000 HID Retrofit:

KTuner tuned:

SRP racing pedals:

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.